What are some good games that are Lovecraft-esque?

What are some good games that are Lovecraft-esque?

Other urls found in this thread:

failbettergames.com/7-facts-about-our-next-game/
youtube.com/watch?v=cNED0AwSNnA
maher.filfre.net/King/
store.steampowered.com/app/393820/
youtu.be/voMAx-lKfIw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Call of Cuthulu
Bloodborne

Quake 1

stop making this thread everyday and go play video games

Snow Light

I think you mean "Lovecraftian"

You have never read lovecraft have you

Bloodborne

Yeah let's just have another Haydee thread instead. Fuck off

Some of my favorite Lovecraft games:

Grim Dawn
Darkest Dungeon
Dominions IV has some lovecraftian themes (Ryleh as a faction and other planes of existence characters can get lost in)
Eldritch
Terraria (sort of)
Bloodborne

shouldn't you go to Cred Forums for lovecraft?

Eternal Darkness

What are you talking about? He's a sci-fi author you dense negroid. I swear, mentioning Cred Forums should be a bannable offense

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth
The Witcher (all of them)
Bloodborne
Quake
Doom
Dark/Demon Souls
Bioshock 1 & 2
Alan Wake
Deadspace (all of them)
Parasite Eve
Run Like Hell
Darkest Dungeon
I have no mouth and I must Scream
Planescape Torment
Baulder's Gate (all of them)
Fallout (all of them have some lore related to Lovecraft somewhere)

>I swear, mentioning Cred Forums should be a bannable offense
Well, it should at least be a wordfilter.

I think he's referring to how Lovecraft was a huge racist when he was alive

If you like metroidvanias, check out Axiom Verge. Just started really getting into it, and I'm digging the fuck out of it. It's pretty lovecraftian.

Not OP here, but is AV hard? I suck at platformers, especially at the bosses.

So were countless other historical figures. His views on race were hardly mentioned in his actual memorable works, so I don't see how bringing in his personal racial views makes any sense when talking about his mythos.

>Intelligent man who liked to think outside the box and lived a hundred years ago was racist.

How is it surprising? People had common sense back then

I've only played one or two others in the genre, but I still think it's fine. It can still be challenging, though, but that just makes it more fun.
There's a gimmick or trick to every boss/level, and once you figure it out, it's smooth sailing.

Obligatory

Penumbra

And?
You would have been a "racist" back then too.
It was a different time. And as much as you want to believe you are above popular culture and ideas, the odds are you aren't.
Also, he really didn't mention it very often in his works.
You can't judge people who died before you were ever born by today's culture. It's like watching a black and white film and saying it's shitty because it's not in color. You have judge things with through a lens and according to the time period.
Something like King Kong would be considered trash today. But it was a technical marvel for it's time.
Lovecraft may have been considered racist today. But he shared that mentality with most of population of that time.

He was kind of a weird racist, though. He was someone I'd legitimately call "xenophobic" in the actual sense of the word. He was deathly afraid of concepts like race mixing and culture creep/multiculturalism, because he perceived it all as threats to his values and culture, even to his life.

I'm not judging him, mind you. I don't think it's reasonable to judge everything by modern sensibilities for one thing, and I also think his writing actually benefited from his fears. He was so good at conveying the terror of the unknown and the strange because he himself was genuinely terrified by it.

>all these faggots saying Bloodborne
If it was Lovecraft, you'd simply go insane and then die when confronted by the first monster

cthulhu saves the world

Lovecraft was based. And slightly bonkers

>implying anyone in BB was sane

The player doesn't have to go insane for it to be Lovecraftian, user. Everyone in BB was fucking loony tunes.
You have raised an ever better question, though? What is The King in Yellow of videogames?
I mean the play from the book, not the book itself.

>But he shared that mentality with most of population of that time.
They were all racist, too.

>Nigger doesn't understand the difference between being similar and an exact replica

I think Bloodborne is actually a pretty good Lovecraftian game because it isn't all le ebin tentacle monsters. All that dream world shit is standard Lovecraft.

Any game where you are a racist and a hack

Literally 99% of Lovecraft's stories feature the protag literally shitting himself and often enough just going completely off the deep end when he's confronted by the horror

Yeah, and in a perfect world, no one would care.

Future generations will call us "carnists" in utter disgust for having eaten meat, or some other judgy shit.

I keep shilling The Last Door in these threads, genuinely one of the best Lovecraftian experiences out there in video game form.

>nigger is mad that niggers untalented
>nigger is mad he doesn't understand lovecraft
>nigger is mad he can't read
>nigger is mad he is poor
>nigger is mad he is uneducated
>nigger is mad he will die before 30 due to black on black crime
>nigger is mad he is a nigger

Styx master of shadows

>Using literally that way.

Opinion discarded.

Found the nigger.

Literally discarded?

Is that game actually good? It's constantly on sale and in bundles.

Here is where the coon tells
To go back to Cred Forums
and cries for mods.

Go back to plebbit and circlejerk all you want there, you pretentious fuck

>no one saying Sunless Sea
But don't play fallen London, it'll just piss you off when you realize how retarded Facebook f2p systems are.

>
To be fair, it's an incredibly boring theme across all artistic mediums.

Yup, that's a good one.

I'd also add Scratches. If you play it a certain way, you can make the protagonist lose his mind, driven insane by his overwhelming fear.

This.
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem.

>ctrl+f "salt and sanctuary"
>0 results

How the fuck can a board be so shit.

Sunless Sea you fucking niggers

Lovecraft was a known racist. If you read and of his literature you are a racist yourself.

>I have no mouth and I must Scream

That is literally a book by a different author, and has ZERO Lovecraftian elements to it. It's about a fucking AI you dipshit, not elder gods

also just because a game has fantasy monsters (witcher) it doesn't make it lovecraftian either

What's your point?

>fallout
>all of them have some lore related to Lovecraft only in fallout 3 & 4 dumbass

Don't forget anti-semite

The concept of race is racist.
Why should we be different? We are all humans after all.
You sound a little bit xenophobic to me, man.

What did he mean by this?

>But don't play fallen London, it'll just piss you off when you realize how retarded Facebook f2p systems are.
Agreed. Great setting and writing, but at the end of the day it's just a pay to win browser game. Which I'm hoping pic related will mend.
Also pretty hype for the fast upcoming Zubmariner expansion for Sunless Sea.

None, because he was a socially crippled hack who's only praised by faggots with shit-tier steampunk taste. Every short story was forgettable, all the characters were idiotic, all the monsters were "an indescribable horror."

There will never be a good movie, game, or written media inspired by him because the source material is garbage.

>Married a jew

Sunless Sea is pretty great in my opinion. It's pretty long, but I'd really like to see some more content for the game though.

Call of Chtulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.
Silent Hill 3

Clive Barker's Undying

all the more reason to be

t. never read lovecraft and riding on the contrarian bandwagon.

Explain to me why Bloodborne is Lovecraft

>steampunk
wat

Kek

He still hated them. He was more than just a bit irrational at times

>Books can't share atmosphere and themes
>It's only Lovecraftian it it is LITERAL

You are a really dumb cunt.
You sound like a fucking geek.

Dude cthullulu lmao

>sunless skies
Is this real?
My body is not ready

Go watch a trailer.

Still need it explained to you? Then you're too fucking thick to enjoy it in the first place.

>steampunk

dude, expansion is coming out in just a few days

Yup.
failbettergames.com/7-facts-about-our-next-game/

>everything is lovecraft now

BUT
WHY

muh tentacles
muh curses

Very VERY few, plenty of Derleth-esque ones though and they have been suggested.

Bloodborne is "Lovecraftian" like Umbrella Corps is a survival horror game.

>our influences include: event horizon
YES
YES
THANK YOU BASED GOD

>He still hated them. He was more than just a bit irrational at times

tekeli-li!

Chzo Mythos

He meant it was irrational of him to marry one.

lmao at all the posts copypasted from the Cred Forums thread yesterday

Because since dark souls was released every piece of fantasy must be compared to the saga.
>"this game is so dark souls"
>"wow this monster is like a dark souls boss"
>"why is this x not like dark souls?"

What these flock of underage baboons doesn't understand is that miyazaki took everything from western fantasy literature and media, hence they shouldn't be comparing everything to something that came thanks to previous works of fiction.

>same day as Rights of Man

FUUUARK

Aww yis. I really need to keep up with news on these things.

Shut up spook

You lost me there. All the horror there seems to be Gothic horror and European folklore. Not seeing much Lovecraft there.

Making a Lovecraftian game destroys the Lovecraftian aspect

you just clearly haven't read any lovecraft and just talk about lolcthulhu

This. Or the way Van Helsing and the Underworld flicks are Universal Studios horror movies.
The influences are there, but so inherently divorced from how they were originally utilized they are all but their own thing.
Not saying that's a bad thing, mind. Bloodborne is a great game. But Lovecraftian is stretching it a bit, Lovecraft/Gothic Horror influenced is a better term.

Reminder that the best Lovecraft story is The Colour out of Space and if you disagree you're wrong and also gay

Bloodborne
Eternal Darkness

Why are you niggers so salty?

>not the Whisperer In the Darkness
>not the Thing on the Doorstep
>not Reanimator
wew laddie

You don't need to samefag. If you don't think his fans are almost exclusively the same kind of retards who are obsessed with steampunk trash, you haven't seen Sunless Sea or just don't know what you're talking about.

I got a copy of Tales with most of his works, it was shit. The only story that started out with any sort of atmosphere was The Colour Out of Space, and even that turned into shit by the end.

Maybe get better taste before you whine about someone not liking the crap you're into.

How can a single individual be so wrong?

But the best one is The Thing on the Doorstep.

>still trying to save face after getting called out

It's on his top five list, but if you can't appreciate the cosmic-gothic masterpiece that is The Music of Erich Zann, you're the most supreme gaylord of them all.

Fuck off /lit/, you have no idea what you're talking about

Are there any art deco horror games about elevators?

I don't think so. You just have to make the evil force something other than a weird tentacle monster or a goofy fishfrogman. If you make it something that has been growing more and more powerful in the hidden, something that the protagonist discovers by accident and ultimately realizes to have spread and "infected" the entire world, and if you make this sense of dread the primary source of the "scares", then I think you could make a decent Lovecraft game.

>someone tries to stir up trouble
>"I'll awnser with a logical awnser"
just ignore him

the very point of the lovecraft universe was to smash ONE thing in your head
-Humans aren't the center of the universe and are 100% powerless against forces no one can understand.

it's the very opposite in bloodborne where you save the day, become their main target, before becoming one of them

The fact that they need to use humans to give birth to the final boss shows once again how humans are important in this.

so no, it's not lovecraft, just because there's tentacles, blood and crazy people don't make it lovecraftian

Wish there was a game with "The temple" type of story

Subnautica could pull it off

Stop posting.

>blah blah blah this book I just looked up blah blah fake contrarian opinion blah blah blah I've never read lovecraft in my life

>just because there's tentacles, blood and crazy people don't make it lovecraftian
Thank you, finally someone gets it

I keep trying to read his stuff and the prose just kills my enthusiasm every time. I've moved to trying audiobooks with not much better results. I finished Call of Cthulu now I'm trying to get into Mountains of Madness.

Any suggestions for one that has a good opening or is just easier to read? Yes I'm a retard/ADD/dyslexic or whatever else you want to call me. ;_;

Some of the key themes in Lovecraft horror are insanity, questioning reality and the state of the otherworldly. Cthulhu is just one of the many horrors in his work.

Try not having ADHD

Battlecats

Ethnic Cleansing.

you have an unhealthy obsession with this game

>the mountains of madness.jpg

read the short stories that are like 4 pages long.
Dagon, The Picture In The House, Arthur Jermyn, etc

I just gave him an answer? I just started playing a week ago when it was mentioned on the drawthreads.

>read the shadow over innsmouth
>laughably stupid
>hurrr a tiny rotting door bolt will hold back murderous townspeople
>manage to escape
>blah blah blah
>turns out my mother was a fish woman
>i'm going to turn into a fish man

Guess I didn't learn my lesson because I watched the fuck awful movie Dagon

>shit horrible acting and dialog
>macarena gomez has some nice tits and a cute face
>every scene is cringe
>oh, my gf just got torn in half by a sea monster as a sacrifice
>i'm going to turn into a fish
>7deep1u quote from the retarded short story
>credits
>end up watching another "lovecraftian movie"
>it sucks
>see more stuff that's "inspired by lovecraft"
>it all sucks
>somehow people still defend him as a genius

>It's a Cred Forums tries to derail a thread to fit their agenda episode.

I've read Lovecraft and some of his contemporaries. He's decent but way overrated. There are—in that vein—better authors that came before and after him.

What is your favorite story?

I enjoyed The Shadow out of Time.

wtf are you even on about? Are you suffering PTSD from a Mafia 3 thread?

>it's a some cunt brings up racism and Cred Forums gets the blame episode

>He's decent but way overrated.
Didn't take you long to backpedal from "garbage" and "hack" to "decent but overrated".

The ending was interesting when he was exploring the ruins in the desert, but the lead up to it was dragged out and boring, plus the description of the Great Ones or whatever they were called was goofy. The description of the evil space ghost things trapped under the surface was also goofy, but the concept of them was eerie.

Overall, got a bit interesting but overhyped like anything else Lovecraft.

how is Resident evil not in the first answers?

Wait, You-know-Who was just a Great Old One? I thought he was a god as well

>significant themes of lineage and corruption
>many major locations in the game take place in dreamlands
>college of esoteric nutjobs studying things they barely comprehend about the nature of reality
>a major plot point is old gods trying to reproduce with select humans (Dunwich Horror)
>the more you learn about the nature of reality the greater the risk of being obliterated by the things you can now behold (how higher insight gives some enemies new attacks, results in faster frenzy and greater frenzy damage)
>psychic communication with terrible ocean beings
>sprawling, impossible ruins of a long-dead civilization
>Amygdala are inspired by nightgaunts, whisking hapless travelers to places beyond the normal scope of life
>majority of the people encountered are disfigured hillbillies paranoid about strangers
>brainsuckers resemble Mi-Go zombies, "his upper torso had swollen out into something multi-eyed and instectile, halfway between a fly and a spider"
>Brain of Mensis looks like a shoggoth,a roiling mass of flesh and eyes
>Ebriatus resembles Cthulhu when you first see her, but once she gets up and fights back she instead resembled a giant Yithian
>Moon Presence is evocative of Mormo, spoken of in Horror of Red Hook. "O friend and companion of night, thou who rejoicest in the baying of dogs and spilt blood, who wanderest in the midst of shades among the tombs, who longest for blood and bringest terror to mortals, Gorgo, Mormo, thousand-faced moon, look favorably on our sacrifices!"
>even the giant crows that bark like dogs are a thing from a lovecraft story

Because I'm not that fucking guy, bucko.

>it's a Cred Forums is innocent when they just shit up everything with their ultra conservative agenda episode

>watching movies based on books that include insanity, lots of blood and crazy characters.

nothing but opportunities to shoehorn some hollywood celebrities trying to look cool in the dark before being angry while the crazy old man in robes do his monologue while sacrificing the love interest just to show how hardcore he is

you have only yourself to blame, Lovecraft isn't a genius, but he used the book media as it should be, with just enough precisions to let your imagination fill the rest

Moral at the end of a semi-auto pistol.
And what? All for a carved ivory head?

Perhaps the beautiful young sailor was swimming with the dolphins? Staring through the portholes...

I don't visit those threads, it's nothing but bitching and moaning.
Only Cred Forumstards bring up race and politics when it's not needed. How many blacks on this site do you think care that someone said nigger? It's a Cred Forums false flagging.

The Rats in the Wall, I like the style and the story still gives me chills.
Also niggerman

Except BB explicitly takes inspiration from Lovecraft. It's still cosmic horror, and just because humans aren't totally powerless doesn't mean it isn't.
You're just tired of hearing about BB.
It still takes enough from Lovecraft to be listed here.

>not Rats in the Walls

>Bloodborne
confirmed to have never read Lovecraft

Bible Black. No I'm not joking.

>it's a I've been proven wrong about my assessment of a thread so I'll just resort to some worthless generalizations

Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder

Currently playing it right now, as it was on sale, and I am a huge fan of Lovecraft.

It plays similarly to Myst, so no walking around, only clicking and reading, but it is practically a love-letter to Lovecraft. It's like someone took different ideas from a lot of his stories and combined them.

Cthulhu was fucking nothing compared to Azathoth and the other Outer Gods. That's why he was stuck on earth getting rammed by ships instead of doing something cool

>It's some faggot that just wants the (you) episode

Love you, user

>Only Cred Forumstards bring up race and politics when it's not needed.

Just making the point the everything inspired by him is shit because the source is shit.

Shame my post was indescribably incomprehensible to you, or maybe you lack critical thinking skills but I'd expect the latter from a Lovecraft defender

>Confirmed for never have played BB
>t.pcuckonly
Well and the sun will rise tomorrow.

You mean the VN game? I can see that.

>You-Know-Who
>Cthulhu
Thanks for nothing

but the player literally is going insane in bloodborne

and frenzy is a game mechanic where the dude dies because of all the lovecraftian horros he's witnessing

play the game pcuck

>telepathic crab people

I agree with Herbert West: Reanimator though.

I guess every black person and democrat in America must be Cred Forums users then.

Sunless Sea, found about it in a thread about lovecraftian games a few weeks ago.
So thanks whoever that user was.
Is great, mostly if you play blind into it.
>Home waters, Zailors dawdle at rail, watching for the lights of London
COMFY
O
M
F
Y

Bloodborne

he was explicitly just a glorified cleric. waking up when the stars are right and causing a mass extinction event is essentially just him sweeping the church before morning mass

Great post sonygger. Whopping away at giant monsters and killing them sure is the same as scratching your eyes out because you saw a shoggoth

Biohazards and Old Ones are not the same kind of things.

I've read everything Lovecraft published. Even his poems. Even his essay on why cats are better than dogs.

CARBON BASED MONKEYS GO HOME

See I mean come on guys. There's one thing there which's title is literally "The Unspeakable" and it's not fucking Cthulhu

>Darkness Within: In Pursuit of Loath Nolder
I can never remember the name of that game, even though I beat it just the other year

Racism is inseperable from Lovecraft m8. The Shadow over Innsmouth, one of his most famous stories, is all about a society that degenerates due to racemixing.

His disgust for other races fuels a lot of his stories. Only plebs think Lovecraft is just spooky tentacles and madness.

Pretty sure the Great Old Ones are godlike beings, it's just the Outer Gods are so far beyond everything else that they are Gods to the Gods.

Meaning Hastur still counts as a God, just not an Outer God.

if you want a lovecraft game go play board games.

Eternal darkness.

>indescribably incomprehensible

ok nyarlathotep quit trolling

Now read the second part of my post.

>scratching your eyes out because you saw a shoggoth
this is present in Bloodborne too lmao. npcs in the game have literally cut their own eyes out because of eldritch horrors

play the game pcuck. oh wait, you can't :^)

>getting rammed
I want this meme to end. the ship passed right through him and did nothing.

He actually did it, the absolute madman.
It doesn't work when you spoiler it, r-right?

You know damn well I'm talking about the ones on this site. Don't play dumb.

user, I think he meant that the characters literally expell their bowels; which though not focused on explicitly, one could reasonably believe that as our protagonists lose their sanity, they do in fact "shit themselves" as well

Any games about monologophobia?

>not The Shadow Out Of Time
fucking plebs, I swear

Hastur?

>npcs
Yeah, but not you, the protag. Sonygger having a sub-70 IQ, what else is new?

So I hear you guys like games about the strange and occult?

>married a jew
>dies of stomach cancer

(((coincidence)))?

Ya dun goofed

What are you implying?

I just hate people who overuse the word literally.

>being this mad that he can't play the greatest lovecraftian video game masterpiece ever created
keep crying on Cred Forums sad bloated pcuck :^)

you probably dont even know what the frenzy mechanic even is lmao :)

I sure hope not.

Though I'd rather invoke Hastur than Y'golonac.

Every. Fucking. Thread. Without fail. Beggars can't be choosers you fuck.

I did. It was too silly to address. You can't make a case for your insane "if they're racist, they're Cred Forums - if they're critical of racism, they're Cred Forums in disguise" headcanon.

Alone in the Dark

STOP

I liked the old man and his violin the most.

>Even his essay on why cats are better than dogs
Lovecraft really was insane.

>not you, the protag
no because instead you straight up manifest spikes to impale your eyes, brain, and eyes sprouting inside your brain when you start going crazy
then you wake up in the hunter's dream with all your wounds healed and the nightmare continues anew

This. The Music of Erich Zann is his best work.

>not invoking Yog'Sothoth
It's like you hate fun, user

Tell that to old man henderson. I fucking dare you.

>start game
>protag goes insane
>game over

much lovecraft

Even by the standards of his time, Lovecraft was kind of crazy when it came to race.

Lord Moldybutt

>story that probably never happened
Why do people always mention some guys fanfiction?

it's not one of his classic tales, but The Shunned House is one of my personal favorites.

Lovecraft was a racist NEET pseudointellectual who shitposted on an American horror writing magazine. He would fit right in here.

Ethnic Cleansing.

You do die to the first monster. That's how you reach the Hunter's Dream and find out you're literally not allowed to stay dead until you finish the hunt.
then you see the first boss, part of your brain snaps right off, and an inanimate doll starts talking to you next time you go back into the dream

I've had enough of everyone's shitposting. Whatever is down here is probably better than what's up here.

>The Shunned House
Was that the one with the "buried vampire" or something along those lines?

do a flip

>Throw a stick, and the servile dog wheezes and pants and shambles to bring it to you. Do the same before a cat, and he will eye you with coolly polite and somewhat bored amusement. And just as inferior people prefer the inferior animal which scampers excitedly because somebody else wants something, so do superior people respect the superior animal which lives its own life and knows that the puerile stick-throwings of alien bipeds are none of its business and beneath its notice. The dog barks and begs and tumbles to amuse you when you crack the whip. That pleases a meekness-loving peasant who relishes a stimulus to his sense of importance. The cat, on the other hand, charms you into playing for its benefit when it wishes to be amused; making you rush about the room with a paper on a string when it feels like exercise, but refusing all your attempts to make it play when it is not in the humour. That is personality and individuality and self-respect—the calm mastery of a being whose life is its own and not yours—and the superior person recognises and appreciates this because he too is a free soul whose position is assured, and whose only law is his own heritage and aesthetic sense. Altogether, we may see that the dog appeals to those primitive emotional souls whose chief demands on the universe are for meaningless affection, aimless companionship, and flattering attention and subservience; whilst the cat reigns among those more contemplative and imaginative spirits who ask of the universe only the objective sight of poignant, ethereal beauty and the animate symbolisation of Nature’s bland, relentless, reposeful, unhurried, and impersonal order and sufficiency. The dog gives, but the cat is.

I'm black and I like Lovecraft. Yes, he was racist, but I can look past that to enjoy his work. You need to stop being offended for other people or stop being a baby back fucking bitch, nigga.

Actually, It's pretty dark down here. And there is this horrible stench.

yes

The more things change, I suppose

Demonbane.

lol get a loada this uncle tom

>mfw there are spooks posting on my Cred Forums right now

THE INSPIRATION IS THERE IF YOU LOOK WELL

Oh snap, a hole in the side of the well. brb.

Infra Arcana

But you're too casual to get past the second floor.

>no gills
>they're neither niggers nor mulattos or some southern american mix
No sell

Can you look past my racism to enjoy this post?
Porchmonkey.

Yeah.

There's an amazing lovecraftian mod for Mario World, Vinny played it

It's hands down fucking amazing

Don't mind me. Just being better than anything Lovecraft wrote.

You can be racist and not talk about race 24/7 with every chance you get. I'm racist against Arabs but I don't mention it unless someone asks or I'm making a point. Stop thinking people hate Cred Forums because they're racist. It's the fact that they push agenda on everyone and wants to talk about race constantly. If I wanted to talk about race everyday I'd go to Tumblr, not Cred Forums.

4/5th's of Lovecraft's body of work are GGP remixes

Literally nothing in this post had anything to do with my previous comments or the post you directly responded to.

>reanimator
Reanimator is Lovecraft's worst story, even he thought so

NONE OF THE MONSTERS YOU KILL IN BLOODBORNE ARE TRUE GREAT ONES EXCEPT ONE, AND TO KILL IT YOU MUST BECOME A GREAT ONE

FUCKING NECK YOURSELF

>even he thought so
Lovecraft knows shit, you can easily discard his opinion.

HASTUR HASTUR HASTUR

Tomato-Tomato. You knew what he meant.

You are all forgetting Secret World

Take for example the Cleric Beast. Just look at it, the average cosmic horror protag would probably instantly go catatonic upon seeing it yet it's one of the earlier bosses

>ctrl-f "rac"
>32 results, 33 after this

Hiroshima should pull an April /fur/sday with Cred Forums.

Shadow Over Innsmouth is my favorite for sure, but Colour Out of Space, Music of Erich Zann, MoM and Dagon are all fantastic too.

Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is a weird mix of really cool and fucking unreadable, it's like Lovecraft just puked all his bizarre unused ideas onto paper and didn't even try to make it cohesive.

Yes, until you mentioned it I thought everyone had finally forgotten that disgrace.

Is it law that Hasidic Jews need to wear that outfit 24/7? that looks like the worst possible thing to be wearing while doing any sort of labor

It's bad.

>NECK YOURSELF
Define pl0x?

#
>jews
>doing any sort of labor

>open link
>hear cringe as fuck first 5 seconds
>instantly close link

Thanks for nothing.

That's why they called the labor camps 'death camps'.

Fucking stop, literally going mad and dying at the mere sight of ANYTHING in a Lovecraft story is a meme. Sailors rammed a boat into cthulhu and even though he didn't die, they stayed sane. Innsmouth residents that were turning into immortal fishmen could still be murdered.

Bloodborne is literally the shadow over innsmouth crossed with the dream cycle.

>the average cosmic horror protag
there's barely three protags in Lovecraft that went insane from seeing the monster. Most of them just got PTSD and committed suicide or were committed to a sanitarium several months or even years later, because they couldn't deal with feeling like the thing they saw would hunt them down and kill them any day now.

confirmed for never reading any cosmic horror

Lovecraft was a supreme gentleman in a time where it actually got you laid

Those ultra orthodox Hasidic Jews have to wear that type of clothing because their sect of the religion is based on the teachings of some eastern European rabbis in the 19th century. They therefore dress to emulate the style of that time and even wear their black coats in the summer. The idea is to show unison within the community, and the belief that vanity should be shunned.

[source]The town I live in is near one of their ghettos and I've dealt with Hasidic Jews my entire life.

>Sailors rammed a boat into cthulhu and even though he didn't die, they stayed sane
They all died, except the protag

>PTSD and committed suicide or were committed to a sanitarium several months or even years later, because they couldn't deal with feeling like the thing they saw would hunt them down and kill them any day now.
>not insane

making it cohesive would defeat the whole point of his dreamland stories.

Lovecraft was a virgin until he was 34 and was scared of sex.

having your mental health slowly degrade over an extended period of time due a traumatic experience is leagues away from 'instantly go catatonic upon seeing it'

If Lovecraft were born today, instead of expressing himself in stories he would have just shitposted about niggers on Cred Forums.

Because you can easily kill those creatures and the protagonists don't seem to be very frightened by them.

Maybe our shitposts will become literary masterpieces long after we're dead.

What a meme responce.

*response

no wonder why hitler lost

>Reanimator

You mean that shitty Frankenstein fanfic?

Anyone have the cap from /tg/ of Old Man Henderson?
Have this in return

Dunwich Horror is largely resolved by a fed up guy with a shotgun

>tfw selling Cred Forums screencaps for profit will soon be a reality in your life

Call of Cthulhu : Prisoner of ice

Its a chore to make it run today

King of Shreds and Patches. A Call of Cthulhu module converted into a text adventure game. It's pretty full-featured and has a pretty robust system of hints. Surprisingly good.
maher.filfre.net/King/

Slouching toward Bedlam is also good and Lovecraftian, but you have to deal with a bit more obscure adventure game bullshit. A really cool story that isn't Mythos but could very well be.

www.peccable.com/if/slouching/

It's also not that great.

>soon
I've been doing it for years.
no one so far has recognized the greentexts I've stolen, and even if they did, there's no way to prove I didn't write the original posts myself

Wont disagree on that. I watched someone else play for bg noise once while playing something else.

The Hound begs to differ

How to spot the fag who hasn't read Lovecraft OR even played Bloodborne

GIANT

ENEMY

Point taken.

Well there's this Mountains of Madness game but it seems quite terrible :
store.steampowered.com/app/393820/

PENGUINS

it's supposed to be 'giant albino penguins' you guys, come on

more like a cohencidence

sorry, I hesitated and couldn't remember if they were actually albino or if I was just thinking of the giant albino ape

Best Boxer = Ali (Nigger)
Best Scientist = Neil DeGrasse Tyson (Nigger)
Best President = Obama (Nigger)
Best Basketball player = Michael Jordan (nigger)
Best Pop Songer = Michael Jackson (Nigger)
etc etc

Really makes you think, doesn't it.

>mfw in every thread some smartass has to come in and correct everyone by saying Bloodborne isn't lovecraft-eque when people are only recommending the games that superficially seem like lovecraft, i.e the tentacles and stuff and then also recommending the cosmic horror stuff yet he thinks peole don't know this

>Best Scientist = Neil DeGrasse Tyson (Nigger)
>Best President = Obama (Nigger)
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

>Best Scientist = Neil DeGrasse Tyson (Nigger)
>Best President = Obama (Nigger)

explain to me how the fuck degrasse is a good scientist

>typing laughter

Did the Whiteboi get triggered?

why does he look like he just got epicly cucked

you're still alright in my book my shoggoth quoting friend

This will get a LOT of replies.

>trip
>name
>cuck
Leave and never come back.

Haha yeah you tell him fellow african american

Eternal FUCKING Darkness
Darkest FUCKING Dungeon

posting in upcoming (you) festival

QUICKLY YOU FAGGOTS, TELL ME WHICH STORY YOU LIKED MORE
>AT THE MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS
OR
>SHADOW OUT OF TIME

shads outta time

>surrealism
>indescribable monsters that, to us, appear as gods
>space
>fish men
>cult-ass shit
>university where students learn some dark ass magic and get turned into monsters
>people losing their fuckin minds
>you dying just from seeing monsters for too long
What's not lovecraftian about bloodborne

I don't know if anyone has said Bloodborne, but Bloodborne is totally Lovecraftian.

Nah, you're the first to mention it.

Mountains of Madness

Include me in the screencap.

Devil Daggers

He was edgy by 1910s standards

>How to trigger /lit/.jpg

>STALKER

In fact, I'd say that Roadside Picnic, the novel Stalker is based off of, is an entrepreneurial take on Lovecraft's work.

Shadow Out of Time by a fair margin

Vanishing of Ethan Carter until the retarded twist at the end. Or maybe that too was Lovecraftian, I dunno.

Stop doing this shit

>Not the Shadow out of Time
>Not At the Mountains of Madness
niggers

Grim Dawn

>Roadside Picnic, the novel Stalker is based off of, is an entrepreneurial take on Lovecraft's work.

It most definitely is. The titular metaphor is Lovecraftian as all hell.

>tfw when "Nigger-Man"

That was just Lovecraft's pet cat.

> The match had been between Kid O’Brien—a lubberly and now quaking youth with a most un-Hibernian hooked nose—and Buck Robinson, “The Harlem Smoke”. The negro had been knocked out, and a moment’s examination shewed us that he would permanently remain so. He was a loathsome, gorilla-like thing, with abnormally long arms which I could not help calling fore legs, and a face that conjured up thoughts of unspeakable Congo secrets and tom-tom poundings under an eerie moon. The body must have looked even worse in life—but the world holds many ugly things

Lovecraft is known for his ENTIRE GENRE THAT HE CREATED and not his political views stop trying to derail the thread.

>Herbert West: Reanimator
>memorable

Not even Lovecraft himself liked that story. It was written in an exercise he said was "manifestly inartistic".

Stop making threads just so you can bait this shit.

>HE CREATED
you mean Arthur Machen created

>ENTIRE GENRE THAT HE CREATED
M.R James, Arthur Machen, Robert W. Chambers, Edgar Allen Poe, Ambrose Bierce all came before him. A lot of what Lovecraft wrote amounts to fanfiction.

>A lot of what Lovecraft wrote amounts to fanfiction

For his earlier works anyway. I am pretty sure the guy jerked off to the thought of Poe.

>racist
Irrationally xenophobic even given the times, and he knew it and often acknowledged it, especially during the end of his life. Though it had a tendency to slip into his prose and result in some childish inanities, he was no brute. You wouldn't find him at a KKK rally or spitting on black people or something, more just grumbling about his alienation to friends and correspondence.

>NEET
He had friends (some in high places like Houdini), one of the largest correspondence in human history, (debatable) kiss yet not tell girlfriends who he sometimes ghostwrote for, for a while a wife (Jewish, despite his anti-Semitism ticks), traveled extensively in the later half of his life where he often stayed with some of the friends he made trough correspondence, and would often forgo such luxuries as food as to be able to afford telescopes and chemistry kits and other stuff related to the sciences he so admired and read extensively about. Furthermore he left a legacy of creative work that have 21st century actual NEETs discussing and shitposting about it on a video game message board (Lovecraft hated games btw). I think it's fair to say that the was not much like us, and any passing similarities are rather a "me too" projection than the reality of the man.

Warcraft/WoW
The Thing vidya

With both his parents going mad and dying of syphilis, you'd probably be too.
Though I'm not sure I entirely buy Sonia Greene's account of the man, she might have an axe to grind after a falling out with a man she burned all of her letters from.

>culture creep/multiculturalism
But multiculturalism IS shit

>waaaah ONE CULTURE ONLY
Broaden your horizons and stop being scared of different people

CoC Dark Corners of the Earth
Magrunner: Darkpulse
Eversion

If only he were that honest about his entire body of work.

>that fucking sex text.

the one everyone goes nuts in a submarine, only a guy survives
he goes to explore (and presumably die) some ancient ruins he saw on the floor of the ocean
always thought it would make a cool game or movie.

Was H.P Lovecraft the real Slim Shady?

>still thinking Lovecraft was worth celebrating
Your shitmaster was knocked off from his pedestal long ago, by more diverse writers.

>defranchised

>So much Lovecraft work by the diverse crowd is about love, finding yourself, HOPE

why

He inspired, actors, writers, musicians, painters, all kinds of artists.
He will never be knocked off no matter what those wannabe faggots say.

>"ME ME ME!" the post

Literally who?

>Lovecraft: important, irreplaceable but not going to be remembered in the history books

We still remember Plato and Homer and hundreds of important literary figures far older then Lovecraft. That is some prime ego right there,

mansions of madness

>Bunch of whos saying they'll be remembered and Lovecraft won't

>I happen to be an expert on this subject

>they'll remember us, damn it. Better than they'll remember him.
Eighty years after his death, people are still talking about Lovecraft, and you're busy writing Lovecraft fanfiction. Eighty years from now, people will still be talking about Lovecraft, and nobody will be talking about you.

>some legacies deserve to be shat on, we toppled your little trash god from his pedestal
Kek, you're not gonna topple him from his pedestal by writing fanfiction.
Do you think you are the first people to write queer and PoC stories based on Lovecraft? People have done that before, right? And still, even YOU are not talking about them: eighty years later, you're still talking about Lovecraft, while the shitty fanfiction you're pushing is dead on arrival.
Don't kid yourself: you're not shitting on anyone's legacy, you're just shit.

Mountains of Madness, I could feel how wet and fish-smelling everything was in that ones

Flying Polyps are cool, I'm glad they killed those stupid Yithians

Cassandra Khaw and Daniel Jose Older are both published authors. Wikipedia says Older actually had his book published by Penguin.

>real edit of film is lost forever
What a greaaaa, zzzzzzzzz

i wonder how old is she
>*bobbles of soapbox* an now, coffee!

Darkest Dungeon
The amazing in-game narrator has also done audiobooks of Lovecraft. Highly recommend them.

People barely even remember people like August Derleth.

I really doubt they're going to topple Lovecraft from his pedestal.

However, if they somehow manage to write some incredible cosmic horror, I'll read it.

obama wasnt the best president, and neither was bush. You are a fag.

>MUH RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY
lmao couldn't even make a footnote on the far left side of history

There are a lot of published authors.

It has quite some similarities to Shaodws Over Innsmouth
>town run by crazy people that believe in tentacle gods
>fishing hamlet, an area where barnacle covered homosapien fish like beings came onto the shore
Just watch this video youtu.be/voMAx-lKfIw

Ten posts.

That's too long for this to get mentioned.

Nah, armchair appreciator at best. I've just read enough about him to at least know a bit what I'm talking about instead of just grabbing whatever has been flung out there at random and going with it. I recommend reading up on him a bit on hplovecraft.com and listening to a few episodes of The H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast (S. T. Joshi even makes a guest appearance).

One of the comfiest games I've ever fucking played.

Super late but I liked MoM more. The idea of an exploration team discovering something awful that they should have left alone was more exciting, though the idea of someone having a seizure and acting different after for years before suddenly returning to normal and claiming possession was far more terrifying.
Haunter of the Dark is probably my favourite though. Reading it with the power out on a rainy night was perfection.

Winters Lantern is synonymous with this.
Just looking at it inflicts Frenzy which is a status effect that grows at a rapid rate and once it's reached 100% it instantly kills you if you have less than 75% health.
Through out the whole game you collect skulls that once belonged to humans that came into contact with the kin and went mad and died (kin meaning aliens/great ones)

It is a great world to delve into and take in the world and its horrors.

another thinly veiled bloodborne shitposting thread?

>thinly veiled

>enjoy one of hitler's painting
welp, guess I'm a dictator now

>enjoy one of hitler's painting
Maybe if you're blind.