Reminder that Nintendo were were fucking dicks who were jealous of Rares success

Reminder that Nintendo were were fucking dicks who were jealous of Rares success

> “Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good.” - Shigeru Miyamoto

Source: 1up.com/features/year-monkey?pager.offset=2

>When it was first shown off in 1994, folks assumed that the slick pre-rendered graphics of Donkey Kong Country were for a next-generation console. But it was an extraordinarily impressive SNES game that almost single-handedly saved Nintendo's 16-bit business during the rocky, transitional mid-'90s. Sadly, for all their technical merit, none of the three DKC games that Rare released in rapid succession were especially fun to play. But don't just take our word for it: even Miyamoto slammed the series in an interview with Electronic Games a year later, saying "Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good."

And now look at Nintendo, they have no third party developers and they still don't give a fuck. Imagine where Nintendo would be now if they didn't let Microsoft buy Rare.

Other urls found in this thread:

ign.com/articles/2010/06/17/e3-2010-shigeru-miyamoto-likes-donkey-kong-country-after-all
youtube.com/watch?v=0ThbbN3o5yw
youtube.com/watch?v=RRMHjaGJso4
youtube.com/watch?v=vVPHmok3hxA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>> “Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good.” - Shigeru Miyamoto

He's right though

Didn't he say that about Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island?

ign.com/articles/2010/06/17/e3-2010-shigeru-miyamoto-likes-donkey-kong-country-after-all

eat a dick

Wasnt worth my attentiin but i read it and felt it should comment. There.

>implying DKC isn't horrendously overrated
There are people who legitimately think it's better than the second, which was literally an improvement in every way.

>Miyamoto represents all of Nintendo

I think the DKC games are ugly to look at.

nice miyamoto damage control, but he still said it.

>Miyamoto: The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumor got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end.

And with this game too, I'll be involved on a check/confirmation level, looking over the game and checking the content. So it'll probably be a similar role to what I played in the development of Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

In terms of things that I really wanted to see them focus on, particularly was the idea that in the original Donkey Kong Country the rendering and the effects that they used were very different from what you'd see in a Mario game. It had a very distinct feel. I thought it was important for them to keep that in mind. And also the fun of seeing the motion of that Donkey Kong hand slap is something that you don't get in other games as well.

>Imagine where Nintendo would be now if they didn't let Microsoft buy Rare.
The Stampers wanted to sell and Nintendo can't outbid Microsoft

The second one wasn't out at the time. Why does it matter that the it was better. Not that I'm saying it wasn't

Absolutely.

Wasn't it a NOA only decision to sell Rare to MS?
So Shiggy, who this had nothing to say in it anyways.

>Meanwhile Miyamoto makes shit like this

>"Donkey Kong Country is bad but the art is good"

Oh and also i think MS paid extra well because they thought they would be getting the rights on donkey kong.
At least that's what a representive said / thought when he visited the Rare offices before they were bought.

>The second one wasn't out at the time
I mean to this day.
The original DKC is bland as fuck and overrated.

Mario World is mechanically superior to DKC

All these Miyamoto cocksuckers don't understand how important DKC is.
Even if you don't like it don't insult it.
Sure it's not perfect but you're not impressing anyone with your superiority complex

But Miyamoto worked on DKC? He worked extremely close on it. I'm sick of this meme.

>Sadly, for all their technical merit, none of the three DKC games that Rare released in rapid succession were especially fun to play.
I guess I wasn't having fun during all those hours I sank onto the three DKC games when I had my SNES.

>But don't just take our word for it: even Miyamoto slammed the series
This is such an obvious fallacy of appeal to authority, I can't take anything this thing says seriously anymore.

>Miyamoto: The first point that I want to make is that I actually worked very closely with Rare on the original Donkey Kong Country. And apparently recently some rumor got out that I didn't really like that game? I just want to clarify that that's not the case, because I was very involved in that. And even emailing almost daily with Tim Stamper right up until the end”

But he didn't say it you fucking retard
see

Good, then. Now take a fucking chill pill, you are acting like I attacked you or something.

NOA didn't want them to go and fought to keep them. Then when the Stampers followed through on their threats to sell up and the top bidders were THQ and Activision. Howard Lincoln arranged a package deal to let Rare keep their IP in exchange for leaving whatever Rare created in Nintendo IP's at Nintendo as they believed they could just pay Activision or THQ (Who were strong Nintendo partners) for an exclusive Rare title every so often and Rare could do its "Adult" games on other consoles.

They didn't expect the bid from Microsoft and got caught out by it.

That was an investor of MS who said that, not MS themselves. Ed Fries was the one who made the call to outbid Activision because he felt MS needed Rare as part of their portfolio as a unique studio and Ballmer didn't allow them to acquire Sega back when they could.

Nigga, I'm on Cred Forums. I couldn't be anymore chill.
>He swore in his post, he's so mad.
Please.

I'll always hate Rare for selling out, but their DKC games were good.

I wonder what games we could have gotten if rare stayed with nintendo.
I almost don't wanna think about it..

This has to be one of the gaming community's stupidest fucking moments.

>rumor spread
>miyamoto refutes it
>everyone just chooses to not believe it because muh antinintendo circlejerk

How long has this fucking bullshit quote been spread? It's absolutely remarkable that people genuinely still believe this outside of the one or two single trolls.

youtube.com/watch?v=0ThbbN3o5yw

was going to be on gamecube

I can only imagine DKC2 was a happy accident. Since DKC1 is solid but nothing spectacular, DKC3 is shit, and DK64 is like the worlds most boring nightmare

Yeah man people never talk back their word to not damage one of their brand names, retard

wow you sure convinced me with all that evidence conspiracy man

A rumor started by those two best faggots on youtube.

>ign sucking miyamotos dick
I see

ehhh, I'm kinda inclined to agree.

DKC gameplay wasn't that good. DKC2 is goat however

Both have great soundtracks though.

>particularly was the idea that in the original Donkey Kong Country the rendering and the effects that they used were very different from what you'd see in a Mario game. It had a very distinct feel.

Looks like they abandoned this idea completely with Retro games. They look like a worse graphical version of New Super Mario bros

Nintendo didn't do enough to keep them even when Rare wanted to stay. One of their proposals was that they could become the "Touchstone" Brand to Nintendo's "Disney" brand and start reaching an older audience and Nintendo flat out refused it. Stampers offered to sell their shares to Nintendo but they refused it.

The Stampers sold up out of fustration that Nintendo only wanted to stay on their current split and still have creative control of what Rare was doing (Even though NOA was fighting on Rare's behalf to do more things like Conker and Perfect Dark) and Nintendo didn't do enough to keep them.

Look at op for evidence, anyone with a brain can see DKC is graphics > gameplay

Look at the refutation, he didn't deny the first quote, or it's content. In the first quote, he says DKC's gameplay is mediocore. In the second quote, he says "that's not the case" that "I didn't really like that game."

He could like the game, be involved closely in its development, and still think the gameplay was mediocore.

Nothing in the "refutation" actually refutes the first quote.

NCL liked Perfect Dark and ESPECIALLY Conker's Bad Fur Day.

PS was beating their ass. They wanted something like PD and Conkers

diddy kong racing is one of my top 10 games (i was playing it this morning), so this makes me sad

It was going to be GTA but with animals and open world

DKC always sucked.

Between the FMV stuff on the Sega CD, Myst, and DKC, there were people back then that thought games would be purely multimedia in a few years. It's the same argument as nowadays about movie games or walking simulators.

that makes me a bit less sad

The Stampers showed Nintendo of Japan the pissing scene of Conkers bad furday. Miyamoto and then current president loved it. Watch the fucking Conker devs playing Conker, you fucking faggot.

He doesn't have to directly refute anything. You're coming at this with a lot of presumption. For all you know, he is so ignorant of the quote that he barely even remembers what it said. Maybe when he was asked that all he could remember was what people took away from the rumor, which is "miyamoto hates dkc." So all he does is say that's not true.

Either way, there's no source for the rumor and you have nothing to go off of. It may or may not be true, but don't pretend for a second you have any substantial information.

Rare's DKC was influenced by all sorts of weird shit like Ray Harryhausen films and British claymation like The Clangers and Bagpuss along with their own countryside surroundings and the local Zoo. The Rollercoaster levels in DKC2 was even based on one of the team seeing an absolute death trap of a carnival set up in Twycross while driving to work and hastily organising a field trip for research.

Retro's is really just homogenic and looks more like a Dreamworks burnout doing a cheap TV show. And Iwata delayed the game because he wanted the Fur to look better.

Man Rare knew how to put those little details into their game.

This is pretty upsetting.

he did say it you stupid fuck, it's not even a rumor you retarded nintendo dick sucker

why are you so upset that you got btfo? :^)

dkc was total garbage as a platformer and total garbage as a collection game

jumping down bottomless pits randomly in order to find the "secret" barrel that gets you to the hidden area of the level required for total completion is one of the worst, and most consistently obtrusive aspects of rare's one trick pony gameplay design

A rumor started by Matt and Woolie =/= Miyamoto's word you fucking cuck.
>the first game in the series was shit compared to the others
STOP THE PRESSES

There isn't a single blind jump in the entire game for anything collectible. Everything that matters has bananas leading to it or has visible barrels.

Back then, secrets were meant to be like that to make getting guides and sharing secrets with friends. It was a social aspect most of you newfags will never understand with everything being handed to you with fair gameplay and quest arrows

Waiting for "Improvement isn't always a good thing."

>Miyamoto only made Nintendogs

he literally said it and now says its a rumor because damage control and you actually believe it, you're the cuck. shit for brains

I'm glad Nintendo lost the living room. Forever.

>Miyamoto criticizing mediocre gameplay

Everyone knows about this.

Everyone also knows he later retracted his statement and ended up loving Donkey Kong Country.

where did this picture come from? Why do the snakes have down syndrome and missing teeth?

>players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good.” - Shigeru Miyamoto
he's right but not about dkc

They did the right thing getting rid of Rare, nothing of value was lost.

there's a difference that you're still too young to know, mr born in 1990

rare was always bad

You boys been practicing your memes?

It's a good thing Nintendo has no IPs that appeal to Westerners at all now, right? Better milk Mario some more!

Just replayed DKC2. It's still fucking great, it just hasn't aged poorly. On the other hand I literally can't touch an N64 game unless it's Quest 64, Wave Race 64, or Yoshi's Story they all look like complete shit.

I really wish we just got another SNES2 and they kept pushing 2D games. It feels like they didn't get enough time to blossom. Ori and the Blind Forest has been one of the few outstanding 2D games we've gotten in years. And DKC:TF too, at least David Wise never died off, that man is a musical genius.

It's based on Risitas

Here is an example

youtube.com/watch?v=RRMHjaGJso4

>shilling ori
Now I know you fucking suck. comparing that shit to snes classics is like comparing skillrex to fucking beethoven

Yea I'm sure Miyamoto is satisfied with Tropical Freeze being a NSMB copy and paste piece of shit.

>Not acknowledging how enchanting Ori is in this day and age

kysmm

>DK64 is like the worlds most boring nightmare
fuck you, it was rad, it probably had way too bigger maps making walking through them a bit too much time consuming, but it was enjoyable.

keep in mind though that this was an era where strategy guides, magazines, and asking your friends for tips was a thing; it was assumed people played socially in a way we don't any more.

These. It was NoA being asses as usual. Conker would stay in Europe if it released today if not getting scrapped altogether.

Miyamoto was correct.
Rare spent their heyday either aping Nintendo's ideas or getting direct guidance from EAD itself. It's fitting that Rare eventually got flushed by Nintendo and are no longer relevant in any capacity

Correct

Reminder that Nintendo made a shit ton off the sell of their Rare stock during the buyout especially considering when they bought into Rare it was a tiny company they spent 1/20 of the of the cash they received selling it not to mention all the great games along the way before the founding members left the company a shell of what it was.

>tropical freeze
>a piece of shit

now you wait just a second

kameo would have been a GC game rather than a 360 one.
still funny seeing it on the back of the gamecube's box.

Shame Nintendo still got the last laugh by selling Rare up shit creek. Unless you count Playtonic.

He never said it and the only people know about this is from Two Best Friends.

>Yoshi Island was outsold by DKC2, even on Japan

I wish i could have seen Miyamoto butthurt face then...

He never fucking said it. The quote is sourced from a washed up 90's game journalist's shitty book sourced to an issue of amagazine that doesn't even exist.

Why would Miyamoto slander
1. A game published by the company he works for
2. A game he had personal input on
3. All americans (and customers of Nintendo), even though the game was made by Brits
4. In an interview allegedly personally conducted alongsideTim Stamper, despite the fact that the Stampers famously never ever did interviews and living on opposite sides of the globe

He never fucking said it

Jet Force Gemini sequel when?

Well judging by the abject nosedive Rare took after leaving Nintendo I would say that Rare needed Nintendo more than Nintendo needed Rare.

Reminder that Rare killed the donkey kong series because they literally were furfags.

I would be butthurt too

Yoshi's Island is better than all 3 DKc games and I liked DKC2 and TF

then why did have games afterwards?

>Donkey Kong Country proves that players will put up with mediocre gameplay as long as the art is good

This is true, just look at how successful Skyrim was.

youtube.com/watch?v=vVPHmok3hxA

if you look at the state of the gaming industry right now, he's kinda right.

>People disprove a rumor
>Console war babbies get butthurt
Console war faggots need their shit slapped often.

Banjo and Kazooie>Mario.

why even wear a skirt at all

i would approve of a new higher quality 3D model however

Tropical Freeze>Andy of the SNES Donkey Kong Country games.

Perfect Dark is Rare's best game.

I even go so far and say that Diddy Kong Racing > Mario Kart

While Rare did make incredible games. In all fairness, Rare were notorious not being able to stay to schedule and were terrible at handling funds.

>Rare good at making games
>Literally couldn't patch a memory leak in DK64 so they included an expansion pak with every cartridge
>This took a big shit on their profits because of this