Is wavedashing actually a good mechanic or would competitive melee be better without it?

Is wavedashing actually a good mechanic or would competitive melee be better without it?

I can't see a single reason why it doesn't improve the game.

It'll slow down the pace of the game

I still don't have a clue what it actually does.

Game considers you to be in a standing-still state, but you are moving, usually faster than dashing speed

So it's strictly better than dashing: from a dash you can only jump or perform a dashing attack, during a wavedash you can perform any ground action

it lets you move faster and with better control and can let you slide forward while doing normals

It allows you to move quickly while preforming any action.
It works for all characters (although some better than others), and it's used to its full potential in competitive play

Melee's wave dash was unintentional exploit of the physics system so it would make sense to picture the game without it.

Dash dancing however isn't an exploit and would have been in the game regardless if they fixed wave dashing.

The games meta probably would have been more developed around dashing instead of WD.

Fox wouldn't be able to do half his broken shit.

No wave shines means a whole lot

>trying to learn how to wavedash
>can do it pretty easily after trying it once
>try again next day
>can't get even a single one
WHAT THE FUCK AM I DOING WRONG

Muscle memory nig nog just practice more

melee would be better if the game was properly bug tested, so yes.

But I dont understand how I got it so easily yesterday but now I can't do it at all

>try WDing
>give up after realizing i prob cant do it in the moment
>play against a friend
>end up just trying it inbetween stocks
>actually start utilizing it randomly even when attacking

it comes naturally after doing it awhile, you wil lfucking up and air dodge into the ground like a shitter but its worth it

Probably just trying too hard to make it happen. It's 3 inputs, slow it down a bit and don't try and slam out the fasted possible wave dash right off the bat.

If Melee released without wavedashing, and someone proposed modding it in, would anyone actually consider it an improvement?

>usually faster than dashing speed

That's only really if you play Luigi or Ice Climbers.

>So it's strictly better than dashing
No, not even close. You clearly don't play Melee competitively. WDing is a tactical decision that locks you in to the technique until it ends or is canceled by something else. Dashing in general is far more used for most characters, there are many situationally specific reasons to WD, but it isn't some super technique that replaces other things.

>would anyone actually consider it an improvement?

Aside from enabling Fox's bullshit, yes, it absolutely is an improvement mechanically with very few downsides. You don't have to use it if you don't want, but it frees up interesting options without breaking the game or forcing anyone to use it to compete. It's not like l-canceling vs auto-lag reduction.

This. WD is situational and dash dancing over all is more safe.

Example: going in for a wave shine or WD backwards to grab ledge quicker.

For me pulling off a bunch of tech in sequence has always been it's own game of rhythm for me. Once I built up the muscle memory to consistently do it I would put on my favorite playlist in the background to sort of "play with the music". Made transitioning between attacks and tech much smoother and consistent.

So all I can suggest is play some of your favorite fast paced music and try to groove with it using button inputs.

Yes but does it change the game in that it actually makes it a BETTER game?

Life is Melee with wavedashing necessarily a 100% definite guaranteed better product than melee without wavedashing?

I'll try that out. But for now I actually have to be able to do it. I can't even get it once.

Just practice, I though it was impossible when I tried first but now I can do with a wii-remote with just the nunchunk (analog up->diagonally down and pressing Z)
Now I bought a gamecube controller, too bad no one plays melee/PM in this shithole and my internet is too shit for netplay
You should be grateful everyday for being able to play with other people

>Life is Melee

Yes it is.

>Yes but does it change the game in that it actually makes it a BETTER game?

Yep, I don't know why you're asking. Like I said, the only downside is that it enables Fox's shine bullshit. It is elegant, feels great to pull off and adds tons of interesting options without replacing or obsoleting anything else, you can use it as much or as little as you want and since it's heavily situational it doesn't provide any overwhelming offensive or defensive advantages that make it difficult to deal with. It's about as close to a strict improvement as you can get.

Eh it serves much more than just a movement option, it's often used for mix ups, mind games and for stages that have platforms, wavelanding gives players much more opening and mobility options than they would otherwise such as Ganondorf for example.