"Giting gud" is literally impossible. I can attest to that. Either you're good at a vidya genre or not...

"Giting gud" is literally impossible. I can attest to that. Either you're good at a vidya genre or not. I'm a natural at fighting, mediocre at fps.
Natural talent trumps all

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics
youtube.com/watch?v=GhCw_7IIjIY
youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs
psychologytoday.com/articles/200507/the-grandmaster-experiment
lmgtfy.com/?q=Tamae Watanabe
youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"talent" doesn't exist. everything can be learned.

Some people are definitely more "natural" at certain things due to genetics but other than that it's all practice.

I can't learn to be a first string NBA player

>He just found out now

It's literally down to practice. The only times i've ever been extremely good at video games is when i was neet and had all day to practice.

>blames make believe talent
>probably doesn't practice his interest 6hrs a day

kek

>natural talent

The word talent is used by lazy fucks who don't want to apply themselves, there is no such thing as natural talent, you learn, adapt, work and improve, sure some people can learn certain things faster but talent has nothing to do with it, it's still time and work.

you're wrong
you're also wrong

not even a fraction of the population could ever be competitive at a high level. your maximum potential is governed entirely by your genetics. however, all the popular games are also well designed to enable nearly everyone to fully grasp all mechanics and comprehend the course of play, and so to have fulfilling matches - when appropriately placed with players of similar innate skill.

learning those mechanics, that is how you 'git gud'.

For me probably my greatest weakness in vidya is RTS, i am really bad at multitasking.

Thing is, i fucking hate turn-based games, so giting gud is the only option for me.

Then explain why I'm a young neet who's a gold shitter in overwatch. Checkmate atheists

>Either you're good at a vidya genre or not
Nah, with practice you can git gud, you're just too lazy to apply yourself.

Modern science is beginning to tell us that genes only become "activated" under certain circumstances.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics

It's truly amusing how people cling to science like a bible without doing any actual real research. You don't even know what you don't know.

Because you are either mentally retarded or not playing enough

You could have, you're just out of time... by your logic Larry Bird came out of his mom's uterus dribbling a basketball and hitting corner threes.

you could, if the opportunity presented itself to you

that's cool
doesn't mean you can't be better at something by practicing

you can learn to do what they do as well as they do. that doesn't mean you'll get the opportunity.

you are fucking retarded
you think you can be a world champion athlete just because you work hard? lmao

hurr durr just practice

probably because you haven't ever tried to LEARN anything

you just expect to win doing the same old shit with no thinking

why don't you start by reading the wiki and memorizing the damage values for everything

Talent helps, but practice is paramount.

Excluding team sports for obvious reasons, show me one world champion athlete who got there without working hard.

if you think that talent makes all, then why don't you donate your body to science so that it can determine whether your dicksucking skill developed naturally or through great effort?

I'm agreeing with that bit. I'm disagreeing with the bit about genetics.

Reading comprehension.

talent hardwork and luck makes all

you can't get to be an NBA all star just through hard work alone

I didn't read em hard enough I guess
I'm perfectly fine and I play often. I'll admit I like going in as an offense character more often because I like to handle things myself when j think things are going awry
In sports certain body types are more suited to a specific sport
Trust me if it was that simple I'd have made the high school team

>talentless losers near me think hardwork solves everything.

I won't discount the value of practice.
But there some moments I can't account for in vidya where my performance soars several times over my norm regardless of practice.

Like, I rarely snipe in fps and am pretty poor at sniping generally. Yet once in a blue moon something clicks and I near wipe the enemy team. Just glide the reticle to where their head will be without thought or effort. As if they were somehow destined to move there. God I wish I knew how to trigger it more often.

Me too user...

What if genetics like having long limbs also applies to brain functions like reflexes

what if you stopped being a feminine bitch boy

Whoa I thought this website didn't allow hate symbols and yet here you are in the actual opening post!

You need to practice more motherfucker

"talent" is a myth

Don't know if I'd call it talent. It's just a very unique feel. Something that occasionally flickers on as opposed to the steady gradual improvement I feel from practicing something over time.

>your maximum potential is governed entirely by your genetics
oy vey when will these racist lies end i'm calling the SPLC right now

How do you think you do well consistently?

Magic?

> nazi pepe
I'm pretty sure talent of some sort is real. Hence why I started the thread. People will take to certain things much better

nobody is born good at anything, that's just what it looks like to the uninitiated.

every single person who is good at something worked hard for it.

fuck you, fuck "talent", try harder

>Trust me if it was that simple I'd have made the high school team

Muggsy Bogues was 5'3" and made it in the Hall of Fame. You're just smalltime.

youtube.com/watch?v=GhCw_7IIjIY

>natural talent doesn't exist, only practice

topkek m'sir

That doesn't contradict what he's saying though. Some of the genes that effect x could become activated when you begin to learn/practice. Their progress or peak could be significantly greater than another individual who has different genes.

Talent and natural advantages/disadvantages in different physical and mental tasks certainly exist, but these differences are often exaggerated for use as an excuse.

More or less this. People that "can't" or don't learn are either not interested in that game/genre or they're just some combination of lazy and retarded.

Not exactly. Sometimes you practice and can git gud, sometimes you can practice and git gud more slowly, and sometimes you can't do shit and can never git gud.

It's not a one or the other kind of thing.

nigger reaction times and running fast

you can't ge tthat with hard work

t. couch potato

I'm 5'1

Sheeit.

Well don't aim for the NBA. Aim for beating dudes at pickup games at the park.

>every single person who is good at something worked hard for it.

They are. People in the NBA wouldn't be shit if they didn't do drills, practice, and learn strategy. Artists who draw wouldn't be shit unless they drew tons of pictures. Writers go through hundreds of pages before they shit out something good. What you're telling yourself is something you do so that you can take comfort in the fact that you're shit at everything.

OP here. I'm black and was more suited for football so I played that in high school
I remember him, but he's one of those unusual occurences

I agree with this.

I spent 2 years of my life "gitting gud" at FPS, and realized eventually that it just wasn't my genre.

Fucking wasted 1500 hours on that shit. Back to weeb arcade games.

Did you actually attempt to get good or did you just play all that time? There is a difference.

shoot it, you fucking midget

In cs.
One hour of play could be the difference between performing like a silver and a global.
God I'm bad without warmup.

30 minutes of aim_botz before every game. Aim today is the same as it was probably a year ago.
A huge amount of practice just watching corners and reacting with AWP, zero decrease in reaction time over two years, from 285ms to 285ms
Queuing with much better people, getting coached, etc. No change.

It's not worth the investment anymore. It's not fun.

>"Giting gud" is literally impossible
>tumblr filename frogposter
Nobody gets good at something instantly, quit being retarded

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

>you can activate hidden abilities with practice
I guess anime isn't that bullshit after all

>talent is a myth
>every human being is born an empty slate and are all equal

I find that the harder I work, the luckier I get.

talent+practice > practice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> talent

You just haven't subjected yourself to the proper conditions that will activate those genes. Maybe instead of being such a try hard you should have fun and relax. Then, and maybe only then you'll be no scoping newbs like whoa.

Some people are going to be naturally better at things

But this doesn't mean that you can't get to their level or close to it. To say otherwise is to make excuses for your failures.

I have played close to a thousand hours of monster hunter games, and I'm still complete garbage at them. Sometimes it just doesn't matter how much practice you get at something, you can't be good at it.

im never getting any close to lebron james no matter hard i try

There's a difference between being good and mastery. Good players in the NBA do drills to compete with other players. Writers and artists go through hundreds of revisions to hone their craft. That doesn't necessarily mean they were bad at their craft before practicing. Some people will never be skilled enough to play at the professional level no matter how many drills they do or how much strategy they study. It's just reality, part of being an adult is accepting it and focusing on what you're already good at.

>What you're telling yourself is something you do so that you can take comfort in the fact that you're shit at everything.

You might want to practice your debate skills because you're shit at rhetoric.

>You might want to practice your debate skills because you're shit at rhetoric.
Good thing what I said isn't up for debate. Go practice, you lazy schlub.

Put in 10000 hours actively practicing and trying to get better.

>But this doesn't mean that you can't get to their level

Depending on who you are it does.

>To say otherwise is to make excuses for your failures.

Or just not deluding yourself into thinking you can be good at everything.

I don't think I can be good at everything because I don't have the desire or drive to be good at everything. I'm telling you to focus on what you like and to continue pecking away at it.

>you can have a successful modeling career even if you look like shit and work hard enough

>Good thing what I said isn't up for debate
It certainly is, as I'm debating it right now. Your post isn't absolute universal truth.

Take your own advice because your debate skills are dogshit.

>I don't have the desire or drive to be good at everything.

The point is even if you did you still wouldn't be good at everything.

>It certainly is, as I'm debating it right now. Your post isn't absolute universal truth.
People also debate whether or not evolution happened.

1,500 MMR here.

Only 500 hours in, but I feel stagnant.

Already watch enough dota vids...

just practice bro

dude just practice lmao

If you think your post is just as debatable as evolution you have brain damage.

kek

This guy gets it
Talent gives you the edge when you're practised but won't help you when you don't elaborate on your talents

Not anyone can be a pilot.

if i had to guess id say that kind of concentration is adrenaline and is affected by your diet and health.

>muh natural talent
Shoo Mariel

>NEET who has spent entire life trying to find anything to be remotely good at whether in life or games
>Try and fail every math or science class, and suck at every game genre
>Just practice user! You can do anything if you put your mind to it! You just got to keep trying!!

You're just learning badly.

I can do this when I get high. The rest of the time I'm just average.

I've spent the last 10 years shitposting and am still not very good at it.

Just practice better

Just practice is the new just be yourself.

artist and writers didn't learn their talents. when i was a kid i knew how to draw even though no one taught me, i never took any classes or read a book about it, i just knew. how do you explain that? everyone in this thread is mentioning practice, yes, of course, practice only comes later after you decide to REFINE your talents, but it does not have anything to do with being talented. every successful person (doesn't matter if they're an artist or an athlete) will say that their success is 1% talent and 99% hard work, and that's true, but talent is that unexplainable "x factor". "talent is a myth" is bullshit invented by self-help writers to make your average, boring person feel special.

I mean, you could by carving out a niche or such. If you look like shit you won't be posing as a pretty person, clearly.

>it's a lazy losers try to justify their shitty lives episode

>He fell for the success is a straight line meme

You can get there user, you just might be an old useless man by the time it matters though.

>when i was a kid i knew how to draw even though no one taught me
pics or it didn't happen

>artist and writers didn't learn their talents.
This might be the most ludicrous statement I've heard in my entire life.

t unemployed artist

>it's a just be yourself and you'll get good at anything in time episode

It's true though, you can't teach a person to be a good writer. You can only teach them how to write.

You're retarded.

You can teach someone to write like a master, but that doesn't mean they can write something creative or interesting.

Apparently drawing is something that can be learned

Y'all are fuckin retarded.

Yes, of course just about anyone can become really good at anything just by practicing a shit ton. But some people are going to take 4 times as long to get there as others.

I've spent over 6 years studying math, and I can't even pass a community college math course beyond level 100.

if youre under 6"2 technically this is true

>level 100 math
Wut?

Intermediate algebra and above.

The problem is everyone is confusing good with masters of their trade. I love fightan and am pretty good but I will never reach tourney level. I'll be in my 30's before I reach that level.

College algebra? It's barely above algebra 2. Or are we talking lower?

College Algebra is the type of class I've been trying to pass.

/thread

I'm one of the shittiest math students I know. Almost none of it comes to me naturally. Literally just use khanacademy, patrickJMT, and office hours.

I doubt anything besides math, science, and art takes that long to git gud to a decent level

>talent doesn't exist

>singleplayer games
>hard
nigga just learn the Ai pattern and use it to your advantage

>says some beople can do certain things faster and better than others
>but no thats not "talent" that word hurts my fee fees
u a dumb fuk

Talent is real. Give me literally any game and I'll be passable at it within an hour.

Technical mastery can be learned by anyone in anything, if nothing else you slow your training down to a crawl and very very gradually you speed it up.
Technical mastery is nothing but putting the right finger on the right button in the right moment, this can be trained.
You only have to ask yourself if it's worth to train, if someone really loves playing guitar but sucks at let's say barre chords than it's not a waste to spend extra time on them, if someone doesn't like playing guitar or just wants to play it out of boredom, or chicks, or it's just the current trend than it's a waste of time.

I did the same thing with mobas, I sat down and really leaned how to play them well, it was boring and frustrating as fuck but I did it cause I had no friends left to play anything besides mobas or wow, got really good at dota and one day just realized..."fuck, I'm wasting my time on a really really bad game, actually the whole genre is bad it feels like the nu-metal/dubstep of video games"

There is genetic predisposition. Which brings you the last 2% everything else is hard work.

Unless you are handicapped or mentally challenged you can become world class at anything you want.

>just practice bro just be yourself

practice practice practice you can be just like lebron

Nah, I was horrendous at fightan.
Tried getting a bit serious and watching tutorials and tourneys, still got my ass kicked a lot of time but I'm definitely getting better.

>being a entitled basic bitch who thinks you should be better because you are special
everybody start ass at everything ESPECIALLY motor skills related stuff

i came out of the womb driving a miniature ferrari with a stick shift

what now?

Nah, I'm bad at fighting games because I'm lazy. Learning the inputs for each combo and applying them in a practical manner with precise timing is too much work. Especially for someone who works 60 hours a week. And especially considering I have a short temper with fighting games.

I'll play them for fun though. Compatible fightin I would just get wrecked.

Anyone else never been good at video games?
Used to only play games on easy, now I play on normal but I die a lot. Probably died over 300 times in the first 3 Uncharted games recently.
Bloodborne is the only Souls game I've completed, quit Dark Souls and Dark Souls 3 because it was too difficult
Always one of the lowest on the scoreboard in FPS games
Fighting games are a lost cause
Fuck

Unless you have a disability, you can git gud. All it is is developing skill. Dumb frogposting quitter.

Not exactly, there's some players under 6'2 in the big league. One's 5'3 even.

>there are no failures in the animal kingdom, some animals just didn't work hard enough!
Then evolution is impossible.

That's what surgeons are for

I don't understand this post

Every animal in the animal kingdom is born just as likely to survive as the rest except it isn't because if what you said was true no animals would have ever evolved ever.

Explain ugly trannies

Humans are animals.

Some animals are born better at surviving. Some are born worse.

All these things are established fact. Do you want me to go over them again?

Most of them just take hormones, that won't change their skull

>God tier
Person with talent and practise
>Great tier
Person with practice
>Ok tier
Person with talent
>Shit tier
Lazy person with talent
Normal person without practise

I live that episode! Is that the one where Christian fundies try to argue evolution isn't real?

time > talent

They're for improvement of what's there. Most models are au natural. And airbrushed. But all stock parts

If the animals were self-aware like us humans they WOULD train to survive or just fuck off altogether and eat fat people too slow to escape.

What would a cheetah be like if it had Olympic level training?

You're comparing fighting game proficiency with evolution? Sure, some people have a natural predisposition towards certain activities, but those only matter when you're going at it at the highest level.

the only problem with git gud is that some faggots use it to dodge having to face that there are actual problems in a game that they're "gud" at

This guy gets it.
Humans are unique because we can put in the time to specialize in anything we want.
Sure you may not be the best, but you can still develop a lot of skill

Like what?

Haven't seen korean idols yet? 90% artificial

"Natural talent" means that you just grasp the genre easily, and you're too lazy to git gud at things you don't grasp instantly desu.

>Haven't seen korean idols yet? 90% artificial
How does it feel to be from 2012?

Aren't there scandals of models having sameface after surgery?

All animals are have instinct driving them to survive. Every day. Every day they "train" to survive by doing everything in their power to do so.

Look at the survival rate of various herbivores in the wild. Most are so low they succeeded by just reproducing more.

Every animal is pushing and doing everything it can to survive. Want to know why some don't make it? Because born losers are a fact of life. They are a fact of evolution. Evolution's entire model requires they exist.

The only argument here is that you think humans are super aspecial snowflakes that are exempt. When all evidence of increasing suicide rates across the globe should be screaming in your deaf, insensitive ears that some people just fucking lost when they were born and it's insulting to tell them they aren't trying hard enough when every second of every day is them trying as hard as possible and you tell them to try harder than you have ever had to or is even possible.

Humans are the best at recognizing patterns. Even where patterns aren't present. The only scientific statement that's true. Everything else you said is bullshit.

You are saying humans are the only animals capable of learned behavior.

2 seconds on the search engine of your choice would have told you that's entirely false and been observed for several hundred years in other animals.

Wrong mindset.
You may have difficulty with fps, but that is a result of not playing much fps.

>You are saying humans are the only animals capable of learned behavior.
Nope.
I said that humans train themselves. Name seven other animals that do this

Literally. Learned behavior.

>tfw you weren't born with the "hard work" gene

>humans are super special snowflakes
I don't believe that at all. Not everyone can play video games or draw but the only people I have sympathy for are those with legitimate physical or mental handicaps. You're not gud? Tough shit, put in the hours or shut the fuck up.

>Literally. Learned behavior.
Name seven(7) animals other than humans that spend 17 hours a day to become a God at stacking cups.

This is called flow or "being in the zone" most people have experienced this, but in vidya you will have way more chances for it to happen. Basically its a perfect balance of concentration, immersion and challenge. You pull off perfect shots, everything you do is golden and every amazing feat you pull off only fuels this state, you will usually stay in this state until you get pulled out of it, by dying or round ending. Fucking awesome though.

Orangutans, Lowland and silverback gorillas, cuttlefish, Pacific red octopuses (octopuses is the proper word actually) dolphins, parakeets and parrots to name a few in particular.

Literally. Learned behavior.
It's not the same as autistic human training

So you understand that animals are born better or worse than each other all the time, yes? And humans are animals? So humans are born better and worse all the time? And in the animal kingdom no amount of, "do your best" changes their inferiority. We are a part of the animal kingdom. In the wild animals that are naturally inferior just die. Not even handicapped. Just naturally worse or better genes. Because that's how it is. Because every animal is doing its best all the time. So no amount of doing its best as an animal is sufficient.

>Gene
its just work ethic faggot
im lazy as shit but if im doing something i want to be doing ill work like a demon

It literally is the exact same thing.

It literally isn't

>HURR JUST PRACTICE
Fuck you normalfags, not everyone hit the genetic lottery with the "motivation" and "self-discipline" gene.

I'm being baited at this point.

>someone born without legs can be a first string nba player

in what way fuckhead?
they learn and practice
fuck are you on about?

Because it's needed for the argument that humans are unique and exempt from evolution where animals are born shitty. It's hard to argue around facts without making them up.

As a guy who got himself in the top of wipeout hd and learn to one coin some bullet hell I can only disagree with you.
It took me a lot of practice (month) but I've done it. You just new to like the game you want to get gud at and not just pretend to enjoy it to fit on /v

here's your (You)
Do you have any proof to back this shit up?

those animals are incapable of training and many things because they lack the mental capacity to understand that others may know what they do not know, therefore it is impossible for them to expand off of the knowledge of others the way humans do and leaves them only with the most rudimentary of technology.

tl;dr eat shit

Don't blame your parents for your own disappointment, kiddo

A gorilla learns to use tools in the wild. It isn't born with this knowledge. It has to be taught to it. It's skill and ability at using tools such as twigs and building nests isn't immediately successful and grows over time.

Thus. The gorilla gets better at making its bed and using tools. For example using a tool to get ants from an ant mound. Initially, a gorilla will not get it, or not get many ants. If the gorilla can't or doesn't learn, it may not be suited to survive and fail to reproduce and pass on its genes or worse, it may starve.

Make sense?

>normalfag
motherfucker I'm a black virgin neckbeard. Are you worse than a beta, lazy ass, no-pussy-gettin' nigger? Must say a lot about you 'ITS NAWT FAER' faggots who can't do more than me who only puts in 10 hours a month so I can draw some detailed zombie pussy.

"Within him, there was surely no pride to be found. There were no emotions, no desire, no aspirations – there was nothing in his sword that a swordsman of his caliber should have.

His movements, though impressive, lost all meaning when all he wielded was an empty blade.

His swordplay, rather than being techniques practiced by a warrior who sought victory, was reduced to nothing more than moves born of endless repetition.

This man was hollow, and as such so was his sword."

>Those animals are incapable of training
Learned behavior is not unique to humans. Getting stronger through exercise isn't unique to humans. Nothing you said here doesn't apply to pretty much every animal.

Those animals are literally all capable of learned behavior.

Which is entirely defined by what you said. It's like you don't even know what learned behavior is.

yes being born with the work ethic gene is literally the most important genetic advantage you can be born with. even more so than any physical traits

>Nurturefags

I've got no idea what this is from but it's gotta be fateshit, isn't it?

Are you saying that some people are better at things than others? Because I am. And you are. Accept it. Evolution can't exist without better and worse animals with better and worse traits.

Unless you want to believe that humans are incapable of being evolved from other life.

>Most of tumblr is nurture faggotry.
It's both, most of the time, but tumblr is so far deep in the other direction it's practically in denial of science.

>10 hours a month
>work ethic
I guess they are worse than me and that's a god damn shame

Yes. They are worse. Are you capable of understanding that at least?

>I need to swiftly succeed at something or i'll just drop it
Found the millennial.
>play bf2 as main game for five years straight sniping all day e'rry day
>bitches like you always whine about aimbotting
>finally give in and move to bc2, then bf3
>killcam added
>whining intensifies x1000
You can't fucking skip step 1, dumbass.
Git fucking gud.

As an aside, I hate DICE now more than anything.

Then it was easy for you because you got results from little effort.

Do you know what people tend to call that?

talent.

To be good at something it's mostly practice. And I don't mean just playing, you must focus on one or two of the game mechanics and improving your understanding of them. And since video game genres are more or less the same in the core, skill carries over.

GET good faggot

That depends. Are they retarded? Are they unable to be self sufficient? I have no sympathy for those without medical conditions that prevent them from learning various things. This whole thread is comparing someone who can learn to drive a car against being top dog in F1 racing. Everyone minus the handicapped can learn to drive. They practiced and became the word you fuckers confuse for talent; skilled.

Some people just can't get good ever and probably never will because they aren't able to. We're just animals after all. And look at the way evolution works. Defective or shitty animals that just aren't that good and have shit for genes but are otherwise "healthy" are born every day. It is what it is and humans aren't exempt from this. Animals live life at 110% every day every minute doing everything they can to survive. But they drop like flies a ton and we don't shed a tear because we know deep down that the animal just didn't have it to survive. Maybe it's time we start letting people let go and kill themselves and stop lying to them about their odds to make ourselves feel better?

To add to what you said, the last battlefield I played was 2142. Tons of fun.

Actually they don't. People understand that talent needs to be nurtured. That's why we have the phrase idiot savant to describe what you're talking about and everyone knows they are the exception to the rule.

Yeah, I just wanted the "moves born of endless repetition" to use to tell this nigger how to git gud but it was too difficult to paraphrase so I said fuck it and put the entire monologue so he'd have some context.

Look, Babe Ruth smoked cigars 24/7, drank 24/7 and had sex with hookers 24/7 but he was still fucking amazing.

Then there's guys who train and practice their entire lived but never come close to reaching that level of gudness.

I think it's because mentally they're convinced that they don't have what it takes or that no matter what they'll never git gud so it prevents from actually doing it; which is possible.

Mind over matter.

Talent is not skill.

Why are humans different from animals? Why do you believe that a worse human can't be born at natural abilities when clearly animals can and do. Don't bullshit me about how only humans can improve because you literally told me you believe we're no different. We're no different than animals? Animals have natural abilities that they are better than each other at. Abilities that most certainly effect everything we do from racing to whatever else. And no amount of try your best will change what is natural. And the natural difference is significant. Enough to mean survival and death for other animals. So why not humans? What makes you believe they're so special? Again, "improvement" we both know can't shore the natural gap.

If you get better quickly from little effort = talented
If it takes you much longer and much more effort for the same results = less talent

Some people cannot achieve what you did.
You want to feel like you earned what you got. Don't get me wrong. You did.

But not everyone can or could. If you reached your level of skill where you're at, you had natural talent for it.

You can practice wrong. You can certainly practice inefficiently. The possible goal isn't a line graph with the line going up and right at 45 degrees to infinity but the equation is still a lot more complicated than time spent=reward. Gud covers a range and working hard and smart can get you into the low end of the range.

Or it's because they were naturally better and natural ability.

Which we know is a thing because we aren't retards here, right?
I mean, we aren't retarded to believe that humans aren't all born with the same ability.

Oh I'm not him, user. I have not discernible talents but I am a stubborn asshole. What you're saying doesn't discount the idea that gud is not attainable through effort.

Yeah, my economics teacher was telling us that talent was an x-factor.

You can train your entire life but top out somewhere and get diminishing returns.

While on the other hand the guy with natural talent/ability can do a fraction of the training and get OVER 9000 times the results.

Them's the breaks, senpaitachi.

If babe was so good no one would've ever beaten his record. Skill wins out at the end of the day. Also roids and adoral.

Depends on the activity and person.
Some people just have natural ability for certain things and some don't. No amount of work will change that. If you're a clod at art you're a clod at art and no amount of ambition will change that.

Unless you think Adolf Hitler was someone without ambition.

Your talent is like an effort multiplier
I have talent 2.0, you have talent 1.0, my 1 hour of actual practice is going to be as good as 2 hours of your actual practice
So we both can get gud, you just need to put in more work

Pretty much the size of it, ya know?

Evolution is a thing for a reason. Some of get the short end of the genetic stick and our best will only take us so far. Life's rough, have a heart!

If you're telling people to git gud at art you need to take a break from anonymous image boards. Ability to play vidya =/= artistic ability.

Anyways, it was those damn Jew teachers and students who held him back.

Dude, fuck math.

Also, 'Force Factor'.

No way, man. For most of my life, I've been fucking abysmal at RTS games. A few years ago I got all determined and went from bronze to platinum over the course of a few months. I'm still not the greatest, but I'm a god compared to how I was. I'm sure that I could have made it to masters, or even gm if I got some motivation, and put in the effort.

I'm saying that, in general, there's ability in EVERYTHING. Hand eye coordination, creative thinking, uh...other art ...things. Colors I think are part of art.

Whichever the case, Hitler was ambitious as hell but never got anywhere in his art. Maybe it WAS the jews!

Or he had no natural ability.

Koreans are not genetically good at Starcraft. They just grew up in culture that doesn't idolize being a special snowflake that hoisted himself up by his own bootstraps into greatness.
They are good at vidya because they devout countless hours to imitating what has been proven by others to be optimal. They put no value in figuring out how to play the game on your own.

Not really, time is a finite resource. In the time the normal person spent catching up, the talented person was using that time improving some other aspect. The only way the normal person and the talented person could have the same skill level is if the talented person willingly impaired themselves.

Given the same amount of time, the talented person always has the greatest potential

Ehhh, Hitler was at the right place at the right time.

Others saw his potential and they invested heavily into him.

Stalin on the other hand, just climbed the LADDAH on his own. He bullied, killed and back-stabbed his way to the top.

And if you ever crossed him the he had you killed along with your entire family then he had you and your name erased from history.

It was like you never existed.

No it's because koreans have a somewhat shitty culture where the video games they have are limited, are flooded by feminists who tell them all about how men are all terrible rapists while the government bans all porn and has a westernized culture that's supposed to fit snugly into all this.

He couldn't draw hands let alone people.

He was a hack and the Jews were right to dent his application.

You don't think hitler was particularly ambitious?

He attacked the Russian front while at war with the British.
That seems ...ambitious.

Talent is less important than skill in most cases.

If you don't have the reaction speed, of course you'll never be the best, and when you just start out you're going to be shit. But, if you practice, you can become good enough to do well and have fun.

Think of it like a math equation:
x + y = ability
x is your skill. y is your natural talent. x ranges from 1-100 but y only goes from 1-10. The extra 9 points at most are not going to keep you from playing well.

You just need to keep practicing/learning and unless you have a major disability you'll eventually make it. Some people have more motivation than others, but if your goal is something that you really want, the motivation will be there.

Git gud, OP.

Because you keep ignoring being average. Average is good enough to do most things talked about in this thread, namely beating difficult game stages or learning an art (programming, drawing, pixel art, music, etc). Not everyone can learn certain things but with the way you talk no one should know how to do anything like button a shirt or do barnyard squre dancing or even motherfucking count to ten because they weren't born great enough to have the infinite brain matter required to hold their ABC's .

>artist ability
Drawing is pretty fucking technical and technical abilities are learned, no exception.

So you say; not saying I don't believe you but it took you a lot of work and time to get to your highest point, didn't it?

Well it would have taken even more to maintain that level of skill and you would have topped out somewhere but not even close to the top.

While some Koreans could practice for 6 months and kick the fuck out of your ass any day of the week.

Such is life.

I didn't say you could reach the same gud
But there's also hard physical skillcaps and diminishing returns. Given enough time, both players should reach the same ceiling in a game. Of course the talented guy could be halfway towards mastering another game during that time period

>While some Koreans could practice for 6 months and kick the fuck out of your ass any day of the week
Why would koreans have a genetic disposition towards being good with kbm in rts games
What would explain that trait

But that doesn't mean they know how to or even can tap into that potential for whatever reason.

Sometimes having the sheer fucking iron will to do something allows you to smash through the skill-ceiling that would have normally been there for you.

Like how mothers can lift cars to save their kids.

You gotta want it more than life itself.

DON'T LET YOUR DREAMS BE DREAMS

DO IT

>So you say; not saying I don't believe you but it took you a lot of work and time to get to your highest point, didn't it?

Yeah, anywhere from 4 to 8 hours a day depending on how much time I had.

>Well it would have taken even more to maintain that level of skill and you would have topped out somewhere but not even close to the top.

There's no such thing as "topping out". There's always something that you can do better.

>While some Koreans could practice for 6 months and kick the fuck out of your ass any day of the week.

Koreans practice like a crazy man. I'm sure that I could play like a korean too, if I practiced 14 hours a day, every day.

I was ignoring it because nobody brought about it. Talked about it or mentioned it until now.

And now you mention it as if I've been consciously avoiding it this entire time instead of it being a red herring like it is. Nobody's talking about average. Average is not the subject at hand. And average is not the point.

Nor was it ever even mentioned slightly in passing. Average is normal. The average. The average person is ...capable of average? So how is that even something to bring up?

I feel like the biggest obstacle to overcome in life is time. There's just so little of it, it seems like a year is just a month as I grow older. How can I dedicate myself to a skill or a game when I have work, courses, clean, cook, excersize, etc.

I wish I was a NEET with decent finances(without mooching off gov/family).

>ambitious

Well he never got past the rank of corporal, never got into art school, never ran for leadership, etc.

He just got lucky and was at the right place at the right time.

Iron Cross, not being blinded, being groomed for leadership, etc.

I didn't say anything about genetics, nigga.

They're determined and disciplined.

Two traits most Americans lack.

Bitching about talent is what lazy people do to justify their lazyness
You could call Viper lucky for having the right talent to excel at AoE2, or you could realize that he's been playing the game for a decade, has practiced everything there is to practice and knows it in and out, hence why he's such a wizard

I hate to argue, but I would still say that on some level he was at the very least ambitious. He had ambitions; he strove for them and he had a strong drive to reach his goals.

That's not necessarily saying he was a great guy, but, to say he lacked ambition seems like it's inaccurate given the circumstances.
Ambitious, not necessarily admirable. It wasn't something he lacked.

>But that doesn't mean they know how to or even can tap into that potential for whatever reason.
For the sake of argument, it's assumed that the talented person is aware of the talent in the post I responded to. If a talented person is aware of their talent and have the will to pursue it, a normal person can't hope to reach the talented person's level even with a stronger will. Life isn't a shonen anime. Sheer will only takes you so far

Talent is something you make bloom, instinctis something you polish

No, I agree he was ambitious but for whatever reason(s) he just never seemed to succeed on his own.

Even in grade school, he struggled.

Fuck, he struggled his entire life in almost every way but he never gave up.

I can admire that.

Stalin on the other hand got results.

Maybe TOO many results.

Denying talent is what people do when they want to stroke their e-penis.
A phrase not seen in years but I feel it fits here.

Except US dominates Korea in virtually all fields. How can a nation be full of undetermined and undisciplined people and still outperform the rest of the world?

Maybe, just maybe, being good at video games holds a higher status in that country, whereas in the US its generally irrelevant?

>it's another "normalfags pretend to give advice but only do so for the sake of fellating themselves" episode

>No, I agree he was ambitious but for whatever reason(s) he just never seemed to succeed on his own.
Because that's life.

As much as it hurts ambition and a positive attitude of always doing your best really can't save you sometimes. I mean I know we're using HITLER as an example, but, if it happened to him, you know it happened to other people, ya know?

Talent is a thing, but using talent as an excuse to explain the fortune of other and misfortune of yourself in regards to anything is what shitters do
Only a fraction of the population can be the 0,01% in something, sure, but reaching the 0,1% with enough dedication is good enough

Yeah, because you're white. Now go enjoy your white privilege, get pulled over, shake hands with the kind officer, and don't forget to vote for racist ass Donald Trump in November.

Not really.
US exceptionalism is toxic to the United States right now.

"We're the best!" while letting everything we used to be great at slip and just muttering under our breath and making excuses for ourselves is making the US worse. You can't say you're the best while simultaneously denying problems in the nation. You can't fix problems that you refuse to acknowledge are there.

user, if I can manage to learn japanese, you can learn to become not shit at video games. Just try for once in your life

>good enough
>enough
>calls others shitters with this ultimate shitter mentality
If you can't be the best why bother?

It's being brought up because most artists are average. Most programmers are average. The only ones who you see as excellent are simply the ones who stayed with their craft. It's the equivalent of becoming a fast food manager. Only in sports and high end mathematics do genes come into play. I hate it when my normalfag friends ask for computer help and think I'm some sort of genius. No, I just have loads of experience piled up over the years.

shit this was meant to reply to OP

Agreed.

I'm 31 and have ADD; I've ALWAYS struggled in all aspects of math.

I wasn't officially diagnosed until I was 24.

Since then I've been put on Adderall and decided to enroll in community college; since my math grades were so horrible in high school and I always struggled, I decided to start at the lowest level math course, MAT083.

Ace'd it.

Then came MAT090.

Ace'd it.

Then came MAT150.

Ace'd it.

Then came Trig.

Ace'd it.

Then came Calculus 1/2/3

All Ace'd.

Last semester I took Differential Equations and Ace'd that fucker too.

Now naturally, I would not have been able to do any of this but the Adderall was a Force Factor for me.

So there's lots of ways of leveling the playing field these days.

Or you can cheat.

Or both.

I have no self discipline and only a little bit of motivation, fuck off. My love for videogames actually makes me want to get better at them.

Weed helps deconstructing and understanding gameplay mechanics, though. And acid will make you a god at fightan.

Because then you're being an unrealistic faggot who will never do anything

>but reaching the 0,1% with enough dedication is good enough
Reaching the .1% can't happen with pretty much everyone and it's unrealistic.

Some people just _are_ fortunate and some _are_ unfortunate. We already have been over this. Some people just ARE and there's no getting over that, no amount of hard work ethos will change that.

Art is a talent and a skill that not everyone has, or even the average person has.

Sorry, but that's what it is.
Likewise programming. And well, everything else.

Some talents are things we can all do. Some aren't. Just gotta accept that, ya know?

When I played counter strike as a kid I would get my ass completely handed to me, but I kept at it and now I master every FPS I come across. You really just have to practice.

Sounds like you have a lot of natural math talent but had a disability in your way preventing you from unlocking that talent.

Art is something literally anyone can become good at with enough practice nowadays. Especially if they use digital tools, they're like cheating.

psychologytoday.com/articles/200507/the-grandmaster-experiment

Part I

"Forty years ago, Laszlo Polgar, a Hungarian psychologist, conducted an epistolary courtship with a Ukrainian foreign language teacher named Klara. His letters to her weren't filled with reflections on her cherubic beauty or vows of eternal love. Instead, they detailed a pedagogical experiment he was bent on carrying out with his future progeny. After studying the biographies of hundreds of great intellectuals, he had identified a common theme—early and intensive specialization in a particular subject. Laszlo thought the public school system could be relied upon to produce mediocre minds. In contrast, he believed he could turn any healthy child into a prodigy. He had already published a book on the subject, Bring Up Genius!, and he needed a wife willing to jump on board.

Laszlo's grandiose plan impressed Klara, and the two were soon married. In 1973, when she was barely 4 years old, Susan, their rather hyperactive firstborn, found a chess set while rummaging through a cabinet. Klara, who didn't know a single rule of the ancient game, was delighted to find Susan quietly absorbed in the strange figurines and promised that Laszlo would teach her the game that evening.

Chess, the Polgars decided, was the perfect activity for their protogenius: It was an art, a science, and like competitive athletics, yielded objective results that could be measured over time. Never mind that less than 1 percent of top chess players were women. If innate talent was irrelevant to Laszlo's theory, so, then, was a child's gender. "My father is a visionary," Susan says. "He always thinks big, and he thinks people can do a lot more than they actually do.""

Part 2

"Six months later, Susan toddled into Budapest's smoke-filled chess club. Aged men sat in pairs, sliding bishops, slapping down pawns and yelling out bets on their matches. "I don't know who was more surprised, me or them," she recalls. One of the regulars laughed when he was asked to give the little girl a game. Susan soon extended her tiny hand across the board for a sportsmanlike victory shake. It was an ego-crushing gesture. Soon thereafter, she dominated the city's girls-under-age-11 tournament with a perfect score.

Laszlo battled Hungarian authorities for permission to homeschool his children, and he and Klara then taught them German, English and high-level math. (All three are multilingual; Susan speaks seven languages, including Esperanto, fluently.) They swam occasionally and played Ping-Pong, and a 20-minute breather just for joke telling was penciled in each day. But their world was largely mapped onto the 64 squares of the chessboard. "My dad believed in optimizing early childhood instead of wasting time playing outside or watching TV," Susan says.

Laszlo believed that the girls' achievement in chess would bring them not only success. More importantly, it would make them happy. Klara took care of the pragmatic aspects of her family's intense home-life, and in later years, coordinated their travels to tournaments in 40 countries. "They complemented each other perfectly," says Susan. Laszlo initiated the great plans, but, as Klara said, "I am always part of the realization. The thread follows the needle. I am the thread."

I can get QT3.14's like crazy.

Why?

I'm 7.5 in the looks, tops; my sense of humor/personality don't have a 'baseline', they adapt to whatever prey I happen to be after.

Is this talent or a skill?

Talent is important for sure, but if you don't know where to output it properly it's useless.

I know a handful of people who have a natural talent for certain things.

What do they do with those natural talents? Jack shit, first one just jacks of all day and hasn't ever in his life tried to improve himself or push him to the limit, the second one just messes around with old shit like Amiga, while he could be applying to high tier tech jobs with that knowledge or write a shitty ass game of his own.

But yes, in theory if you pit against two people, one having natural talent for the said thing and the latter one having no talent and both have around the same hours of mastery in the said thing the one with the natural talent will win, in theory. In the real world, there's too many variables.

Natural talent does jack shit most of the time and it is very rarely that one can utilize it, sometimes it blinds them too.

Part III

"The brain has three tasks to carry out when contemplating a chessboard. It must comprehend the rules, as each piece moves according to its own powers and restraints. Then it must analyze potential moves, which involves envisioning different configurations on the board. Lastly, it must decide which move is most advantageous. Here the game requires critical thinking in the visual-spatial realm. Visual-spatial processing is the single biggest ability gap between men and women—the glimmer of truth behind the stereotype of men-as-road-trip-aces who deftly follow maps and fit the luggage into the car. The visual-spatial processing center is located in the right side of the brain; among elite chess players (Kasparov included), there is a much higher proportion of left-handers, who have dominant right brains, than chance would predict.

Testosterone accelerates development of the right brain and may slow development of the left side. But the effects aren't binary: Regardless of its sex, each brain falls on a continuum between "male" and "female" extremes in an array of traits. Furthermore, the neural pathways that allow for chess's cognitive pyrotechnics develop in response to environmental influences and are most malleable in young children. Estrogen, in fact, enables neural plasticity—women tend to recover better from strokes than men, for example—and the hormone primes women for neural growth and change, points out neuropsychiatrist Mona Lisa Schulz, author of The New Feminine Brain. By teaching his daughters chess at a young age, Laszlo essentially molded their brains, enriching their visual-spatial centers and closing any gap that gender may have broached."

>Art is something literally anyone can become good at with enough practice
There's really no reason to believe that.

Sorry. If you aren't good at art you aren't good at art. It's like any other natural ability animals are born with or aren't

Learning how to adapt to your environment is just a skill you developed throughout the years. It's like acting constantly, each time for a different audience, and it works stupidly well.

Most people are just so dumb they fall for it, especially women.

I absolve you.

No, if you aren't good at art you begin practicing and do so until you are.

Ask literally any artist, they will tell you the same.

>art is a talent
No more than driving, riding a bike, typing on a keyboard, or using a controller to play a video game

>Is this talent or a skill?
It's _the_ skill.
It's the skill around which all other skills are meant to supplement. The only purpose animals have, to attract and find a mate and live long enough to do so and pass on their genes.

Literally, the best suited male reproduces. The ones that aren't, don't.

Better than being a cuck who's content with being in other's shadow

Correction, *you* really just have to practice

some people will never ever be gud even after thousands of hours

Any artist has talent and natural ability.
If you don't, you'll never go anywhere. Sorry, millions of years of evolution aren't going anywhere. Remember to thank your parents for your genes!

Well it's not just math that I'm doing well in, I ace all of my classes in multiple subjects.

Is it the drugs?

They're a factor, sure.

But I think a larger part is that after a lifetime of struggling academically, I'm finally in a position where I can dominate any class and subject because I want to more than anything.

Mind over matter + Drugs = Success

What besides the fact that there are countless people who saw massive improvements due to practice and studies and went from being shit to good?

And a nice heaping of natural ability for sure.

tell that to the guitar hero generation

And they had natural ability.
Do you hear about the ones that never got better?

THAT MUST MEAN IT NEVER HAPPENS RIGHT?!

No, that means they took the hint.

This. It's the equivalent to changing tactics in a fightan.

ITT: Cred Forumsiggers make up excuse to not even start trying or why they failed after 1 try

>Cred Forumsiggers
hah hah hah what?

>ITT: people don't understand that some people are better at things
UHM, GOD MADE MAN A NEW CREATION, DUH! NOT AN ANIMAL! THAT'S WHY EVOLUTION DOESN'T"T WORK ON HUMANS!

it feels like it sometimes, but enough practice will make you good enough at anything, at least as far as video game genres go.

You have to really want to become good though, otherwise you'll keep giving up after 5-10mins every time.

Why are you posting a hate symbol user?
Fuck normalfags, fuck Cred Forums

>ITT: reddit pretends to give useful advice but only for the sake of stroking their own ego and to delude themselves into thinking their meager accomplishments are solely the results of their ""'effort"""

Practice and natural talent are both relevant. Talent is a multiplier that dictates how much better a person will get at something with a given amount of practice

With enough practice a person can become proficient in just about anything, even become a master. Conversely talent is useless if it is not put into practice, no one is born very good at anything. But a person without natural talent who practices a lot at something will never surpass those who have top tier natural talent and also practiced a lot

It's elementary math. I don't know why people can't grasp this.

There could be countless reasons why they didn't improve, from laziness to a poor method of practicing/learning. Dismissing it as a "lack of talent" is bullshit unless you are talking about actual retards. Talent makes the process of gitting gud faster and smoother, and increases your limit but you don't require it.

I got a vasectomy when I was 24.

Do you think that this affected me on some mental level?

I no longer have a purpose to fulfill in life and I can feel that it's had an effect on me; I enjoy life more now in general and am not distracted by the desire to fuck chicks non-stop (I still fuck them but not to the degree that I did pre-vasectomy).

It's made me much more based in many ways too.

My ancestors Y-chromosome dies with them.

No regrets.

Dismissing the presence of ability and talent is dismissing the entire theory of evolution outright.

I don't know; my parents are dumb as bricks.

But they're physically hardy as fuck.

Eh, who knows?

There is no God.

But thanks.

Talent certainly exists, but again there's absolutely no reason to believe a person can't get good at an art form unless said person is an actual retard. A lack of talent is compensated for by intense practice

>I don't know why people can't grasp this.
It's a conscious effort to insult people who try their best and get nothing (see: )
and to make themselves feel superior in the process for trying very little and netting high rewards.

No one disagrees on the front of genetics making things difficult for some while making it easier for others. What I disagree with is the notion that art is not a technical skill that can be learned with practice, patience, and time no differently than learning to drive a car

This. Aptitude is the word for people with less lazy lexicons

>there's absolutely no reason to believe a person can't get good at an art form unless said person is an actual retard. A lack of talent is compensated for by intense practice
You have to not believe in evolution for this to be true.

I understand that it came superlatively _easy_ for you. So for you, you can't possibly EVER understand what it's like to ever struggle with anything, ever, or to ever try at something endlessly and never get ANY better.

But it certainly IS possible without any mental deficiency. Again. We see it in nature all the time.

Everyone can learn to drive a car; not everyone can put pen to paper well enough to make something pleasing. Some people will never be able to reach that.

Sorry Cred Forumsmblr. Science just isn't on your side on this one.

That shit it called "flow".

This is the only right answer ITT

>natural talent

lmao

Do you people realize that this is officially an hate symbol now? You can get arrested in some countries cause of it.

>science
lmao.
It's called the BIBLE. Try reading it sometime.

CHECKMATE ATHEISTS.

>Some people will never be able to reach that.
>Science just isn't on your side on this one.

Where can I find the science on this?

Darwin's origin of species.

>not everyone can put pen to paper well enough to make something pleasing
Why not? All it requires is knowledge on what to draw which can be obtained by things like studying anatomy and structure, and technique to translate that knowledge into something that looks appealing. We're not talking about being one of the greatest artists in the world here.

Getting in the flow is one of the reasons why I love fighting games, FPS and action games like Bayonetta or DMC. It feels so fucking amazing.

what chapter talks about drawing in particular?

You're not a natural at fighting games. Nobody is a natural at fighting games, it's not how the genre works.

>Why not?
Because animals are born with innate natural abilities. Drawing is just another innate natural skill. Understanding what things are supposed to look like and making them look like it are two very different things.

You seem to believe that it's impossible for someone to practice and never improve, but it happens all the time. Hand to eye coordination, creative thinking...these are natural abilities tied to art and if you don't have them in right proportion or you just aren't dexterous with a pen in your hand, i.e. fine motor control, then that's a natural physical attribute you were born with. Nor is hand tremors. A certain amount is normal even in a health person. How much can vary from person to person. Again. This will affect your ability to draw. You might never be able to overcome that. Sorry.

Someone good practices too. Probably as hard as you do because he still sees someone above him as a target

Plus talent affects starting point of skill, learning rate and soft skill cap.

I mean talented person can be wasted when he/she is forced to operate below his/hers level.

For example I used to be God at maths, up to the halfway through University I've did literally 0 practice, just read a bit of theory. And passed/aced easily..yet after that I've started to fall behind.
Why? Because I never fucking ever had to study. And I didn't know how. Heck, I didn't know how to motivate myself at all.

Both factors matter. If you properly train talented person you will get a master.
If you train talentless person you will get a master, albeit with more effort on training side.
Any of the will be better than fucktards like me who wasted talent.

You know drawing has a lot of aspects to it that are directly linked to physical and mental genetic traits, ya?

What gene?
Is it absolute?
Can you give an example of a person who will never be able to draw something nice despite how much they practice?

>but it happens all the time
When this happens it's usually very clear to anyone more experienced that the reason the people in question aren't improving is because they do not know how to practice. You know what else happens really often though? People who think they're never going to improve improving because they changed their mindset, or simply started working harder.

As somebody who has played Dota for half their life, I know for a fact that there's a limit to how "gud" a person can git.

It has to do with a lot of things. How smart you are (this affects how fast you learn), how much time you put in, how seriously you take the game, etc.

The idea that more time spent = more gud is not entirely true. Only a smart person spending a lot of time will achieve results. The only exception would be autistic shit like speedrunning. That shit is 100% about time spent.

One of these abilities happens to be pattern recognition. Humans are GREAT at pattern recognition...

But...

There's a HUGE gap in ability of humans to recognize patterns from person to person. And it doesn't seem to be a learned ability either. Some people just seem to be more naturally inclined towards this and it's vital for creative thinking.

>What gene?
well that's just one. Another could be hand eye coordination, or the above listed hand tremors. Again, some tremoring of the hand is NORMAL but even in healthy humans without parkinsons there's people whose hands shake quite a bit. There's people who have parkinson that have done art well, but, not only are they outliers, they've had exceptional ability in other areas. I could mention one instance of a man who had a part of his lens removed so he could see colors much more vividly and became a painter. Made some interesting stuff as a result.
>is it absolute
Seems to be that at some level there's a cap.

>Can you give an example of a person who will never be able to draw something nice despite how much they practice?
I don't think I'd ever improve no matter how much I doodled or scribbled. Adolf hitler is notorious for being SHIT at art, but he was a very ambitious man. It wasn't for lack of trying there.

What a pathetic idea.

Have years if vidya coddling actually make you think people are just food at things? That people dont work their ass off to become good at something?

>you're just not practicing right!

That mindset's pretty common nowadays. It seems like more and more people don't understand what "skill" is and think it's the same thing as talent. Sometimes even looking down on people who became good at things through practice as being fake in some bizarre way.

Natural selection seems to be a good indicator that all animals are either good at things and just born that way or bad at things.

Otherwise if every animal was born with the same ability to succeed evolution would never occur.

Nobody's looking down at you dude. Don't be so defensive. You obviously have something to be proud of.

But not everyone does. Sometimes people are born as garbage and have nothing to show for the world.
It sucks but you just gotta accept it for what it is. Not even asking for sympathy. Just that you understand and accept it. Some people just lost the lottery.

This is a painting by Adolf Hitler. I'd argue he was at least competent as an artist.

as a Power Ranked smash player in MI, I can say that you're fucking wrong.

All of the best players are the ones who have the most years of experience, the most drive/passion/time to play the game, have the best practice quality, the best mindsets, etc, etc...

I myself spent two years of my life putting thousands of hours into smash entering many tournaments and spending many days doing nothing but playing the game at many a smashfest, going from being an unknown at tournaments to threatening the top players and spamming gfycats of my gameplay all over r/PM/

Literally practice will make you better no matter what BUT (and this is a big BUT) the QUALITY of your practice is much more important than the quantity.

In smash, I can play against a shitter for 12 hours straight and learn far less than if I had spent half an hour playing against a top national player.

In other games it's the same. Ranked solo queue will not make you better at any game, it fact it will probably just teach you bad habits from having a different meta of people who do not understand teamplay. If you want to git gud at a team game, no solo practice will help you, get a team together who's all as serious about winning and going pro as you are, start practicing a lot, git fucking good together.

He's right though
Take archery for example. You can shoot a thousand arrows a day in a random matter, and you'd eventually git gud. But someone who actually practices every step properly will get much better much quicker, since he will actually hone his fundamentals

Better than me, sure.
But most people considered him pretty terrible.

Of course I wouldn't know art if it bit my ass and it probably could if I wasn't careful around it.

see it looks pretty but upon closer inspection everything is all wrong.

the perspective is incredibly slanted, roofs are far too narrow, the fountain doesn't line up with anything, the road makes no sense, the doorsways and bottom windows don't have logical geometry... plus on top of it the painting itself isn't doing anything new or interesting, just a drab painting of a building. You can see why he wasn't accepted into prestigious art school.

A person with better eyesight (genetic) will always be a better archer than someone with worse eyesight.

A person who can hold their hand steady for a better release will be a better archer than someone who cannot.

You picked an interesting example.

I mean I could actually argue against myself and point to an actual handicapped pistol shooter with no hands who is a record holder and speed and accuracy shooter.

But He does have a few physical aids on his guns. Just slightly so he can actually work the controls but he can. But that's because his eyesight and reflexes are pretty damned good.

The problem with your dumb explanation is that we exist partly outside the ruleset of evolution as of now. Sure, some people are smarter than others, have talent, but really this only matters if you wanna go for top percentage. Also animals have to do only one thing: survive, they dont have the time or intellect to spend their time in a goal oriented way. Also they lack the ability to judge and reflect on how to improve.

People can do it and thats why anyone, ANYONE can learn to draw decently if they tried. And yes trying means about 100-150 hours of intense, goal oriented practice, from dull repetitions of mechanical movements to cognitive improvement techniques.

You define trying as you tried to do X in a videogame for 10 minutes and got frustrated. Your views are skewed, the world requires more from you than your soft ass parents ever made you realise.

>we exist partly outside the ruleset of evolution as of now
Stopped reading there.
You might as well have told us you were a christian fundamentalist who believed god made man a new creation.

>all these people blaming genetics for their own shortcomings
Face it, as long as you're not actually disabled, you only have yourself to blame.

> implying I have friends who actually want to play with me
Hell my friends barely talk to me anymore. Solo queue is ny only option unless. I'm lucky enough to friend a guy or gal with a mic. Good news is I just climbed 150 skill ratings while solo queue last night

Comparatively a talented person will be better than someone with no talent if they both practice the same amount, yes. That doesn't mean you have to look at it in such a binary way. That shit's unfair, but it doesn't mean you can't become competent solely through practice. It will take a shit ton of effort, more so than it would for someone naturally gifted, but it's certainly possible. You also won't become the best but that's an entirely different thing.

Some people are just garbage user.
It happens in nature, why wouldn't it happen to humans?

I was complete shit at STGs a year ago and now I'm only mostly shit. You can push through too OP I believe in you.

You're aware that the left, right brain theory was debunked and that your brain is completely different every year, right? It has a lot to do with environmental factors, but I won't argue that there this isn't genetic potential.

>That shit's unfair
So is life.
Sorry. Some people are born garbage and don't deserve the life they were given. They didn't ask for their life and they didn't ask to be garbage. So if you would.
Don't have to feel sympathy. Just have to accept that they happen from time to time. It's a fact of life. Please excuse the garbage people, ok? Really didn't ask to be born with nothing to offer anyone. So just please try to understand it's not something anybody really has any control over.

I pikced the archery example because I've actually experienced it myself. I started out by just randomly shooting arrows, and while I would sometimes hit well, the shots were essentially random and would deviate a lot. Then I bothered to look up the proper way of methodically shooting an arrow, which consists of many steps starting at your feet and body stance to how you turn your arm to how you actually release the arrow and follow through, and suddenly my shots got much more consistent. If I now also bothered to go and visit an actual coach, who could point out mistakes in my stances and whatnot, I'd improve even faster.
I didn't really want to go into the genetics aspect of it, I just regarded the practicing aspect

You're all dumb niggers.

Yes, it's true that there are some people who could never be in the NBA, or the NFL, no matter how hard they practiced.

However, that's because of fucking PHYSICAL. DIFFERENCES. IN. ABILITY.

Obviously an athletic sport is going to favor people who are taller, have genes that let them build muscle faster, etc, but even then, practice is the deciding factor. There's been cases of genetically identical twin brothers in the NBA where one was a top player and the other couldn't even make it out of college basketball because one practiced more than the other.

But these are FUCKING VIDEO GAMES. VIDEO. FUCKING. GAMES. These require NO physical ability to play WHATSOEVER, all they require is fucking HARD WORK and TRAINING. Unless your hands don't fucking work or you're blind/deaf, you have literally 0 EXCUSE to blame being bad on your genetics. Stop being little cucks and fucking PUT THE TIME AND WORK IN, or you're never going to make it anywhere.

This FUCKER has NO WORKING HANDS OR LEGS and can ONLY MOVE HIS NIGGERING HEAD and got 5TH at a FUCKING STREET FIGHTER MAJOR by mashing the FUCKING CONTROLLER with his FUCKING TONGUE because he's THAT FUCKING DETERMINED AND YOU'RE JUST A LITTLE BITCH NIGGER SITTING AT YOUR COMPUTER CHAIR WHINING ABOUT HOW YOU'LL NEVER ACHIEVE ANYTHING

FUCK YOU

GO GRIND SOME GAMES BITCH

Why haven't you climbed everest then?

I have no interest in it. Can't really compare something that's expensive, very physically demanding and dangerous to sitting on your ass in a comfy warm room playing video games while stuffing your fat face with snacks.

Really?
Because a 73 year old woman climbed Everest.

That must mean you're weaker than a 73 year old woman.

This. When I started out with rainbow six siege for example, I had a good knack for it and learned all the important bits very quickly, but I didnt get actually good at it until I played and played, tried new things and looked into stuff a bit more. My reaction speeds and such are very good because of other games I have played over the years (and a 144hz g-sync monitor helps also I suppose).
I used to be fucking garbage in starcraft 2, but just training, reading up on stuff online and some more training made me decent.
Its really all about the effort you are willing to put in. There are games that have low skill ceilings, meaning a good player will be limited by stupid bullshit, like overwatch is.

Be passionate about something and put in the effort to get good. I see talent as something that just makes things easier to learn for others. Some learn playing the guitar faster than others despite the same amount of practice, but everyone can learn to play it just as good. Assuming you arent an alien without fingers.

No, it isn't.
Wanting to be good at something and achieving it is better than wanting to be the best at something and achieving nothing.

Used to own a bow myself, but that was years ago. Never went anywhere.

WHY DIDN'T YOU GET ANY BETTER AT ARCHERY? CLEARLY YOU JUST NEEDED TO PRACTICE!

>it's another "faggot pretends to be above it all but only does it for the sake of fellating himself" episode

that's the struggle. I have friends but they all suck at games/have no interest in going pro ever so I really only play fighting games seriously.

what game are you yolo queueing in my dude?

>nigger

>virgin

>neckbeard

What's funny is you STILL have an easier time getting into college and into jobs than (white) people do. Get out of my country, Liberia or Africa are literally made for you.

YOU'RE EITHER A KILLER OR YOU ARE NOT I WAS BORN A KILLER IM ALLWAYS TOP OF THE BOARD OR AT WORST TOP 3 YOU EITHER GOT THAT KILLER INSTINCT OR YOU DONT

Biggest strawman of the century

But that's just it, it easier than ever to ocercome your natural shortcomings. I'm shortsighted and have a hand tremor, yet I still managed to get a decoration for excellent shooting during my service because I wear glasses and can take beta blockers. Modern medicine makes amazingly easy to overcome almost any hurdle, be it mental or physical

getting good at anything takes practice, vidya not only included but ESPECIALLY

stop giving threads like this 400+ replies, fucking 12ies

Shit like this and maximum bait threads getting 400+

it's gonna kill us

It actually isn't in this case.
"This person is good and infirm so you have an obligation to achieve anything they can."

Wait a minute, can't you not be in the army if you're on any medication?
I forgot what their regulation was for that...

Except the entire context of the thread is someone bitching he can't get good at games despite wanting to. Your post would only work if you were replying to someone bitching that he can't climb Everest

>this person can and is infirm so you therefore can

Am I talking about your post or the everest one?

Guess why the logic fails.

Well your useless to most if youre on meds.

Then if you're taking beta blockers...

This line of reasoning is absurd. Adaptability is literally the single most powerful ability humanity has, and learning a skill is *literally adapting*. Like... sure, animals can't 'git gud' like humans can. Being able to 'git gud' to the degree we can, and do, is what has made humans such an incredibly successful species. You are baldly denying the exact thing that makes you human.

I'm not on meds, but I can surpress my tremor completely by taking light medications. I got it by the medics, so I guess it was alright.
Have disability > get help > overcome disability. You just have to look for a solution

>Adaptability is literally the single most powerful ability humanity has
No, recognizing patterns is.
>animals can't 'git gud' like humans can
They absolutely can and do. It's called learned behavior and there's tons of examples of it in Darwin's, "Origin of Species."
> Being able to 'git gud' to the degree we can, and do, is what has made humans such an incredibly successful species
Recognizing patterns. Even when there are none.
>You are baldly denying the exact thing that makes you human.
Are you recognizing a pattern yet?
You should be.

tal·ent
ˈtalənt/
noun
natural aptitude or skill.
"he possesses more talent than any other player"

Even assuming that one can not have a natural physical bias towards certain skills ones ability at video games ULTIMATELY comes down to some factor outside your control

What compels one fellow to practice and thus git gud? What compels another fellow to not practice and thus not git gud? Why does one have more time/motivation to git gud and how is this the fault of the person?

If it is their nurture then why do we blame the person when no one chooses their parents or initial environment which would presumably influence their future choices of environment?

If it is their nature then why do we have this discussion when no man is eternal with no beginning and thus could not choose their initial nature which would influence and control future actions?

If it is neither and thus simply random chance then why do we blame humans for random occurrences?

If it is a combination of the above then why do we blame the person when all factors are ultimately outside of their control?

>implying free will is a supernatural force outside the physical
>implying even if we did have such a thing humans would be at fault for that which they still did not create

>Have disability > get help > overcome disability.
This is why we are still developing medication for bipolar disorder/depression.
Because we have 100% cured it and can treat it with 100% effectiveness!

This is why the new medications are getting more and more dangerous with worse side effects, because we absolutely aren't running into cases that are entirely untreatable (I literally do NOT have a friend from florida who ran the entire course of medication from their psychologist only to be told that there was no medication prescribable that could help them!)

Nobody is looking for solutions EVER!
I nearly choked to death on my own SARCASM!

When ever I log in everybodies getting bodied thats just how it goes only the strong survive and I feast on the souls of those slain by my hand with an thirst so big it is impossible to ever quench, you've been warned im coming for your soul to be honest

The argument for him not climbing Everest is "I don't want to"

Then you made up the old lady and implied he said he couldn't climb Everest. That's a strawman.

it never was bullshit in the first place, what are you on about

>The argument for him not climbing Everest is "I don't want to"
Because he said it was too dangerous and physically demanding for him.
I explained that it if an old woman could, then he could.

Why is everest even being mentioned? Who here has even climbed it?

>made up the old lady
>made up

Tamae Watanabe

Why haven't you climbed it, user?

>stop making shit up while i make shit up

lmgtfy.com/?q=Tamae Watanabe

But he never said he couldn't. He said he didn't want to because
>reasons

Well yes but listen up
if you're not naturally talented at something and someone else is, and you both train the same amount, he will be better
it's just true

Im legit prolly the only one here thats actually climbed it legit but whatever its not like loads of people have climbed it

His listed reasons were:
"Too physically demanding and dangerous!"

Which, again:
Old lady.

Why do you think that you are automatically better than old woman?

She had previous experience climbing and was in shape, unlike (You) or me.

And climbing the Everest is nothing like playing vidya, retard.

>getting decent in an hour is considered talent

wew lad

if you are good at fightan then why not just play them they fun as hell i too am good at fighting but can't really play fps except quack and doom, but practice really is am important factor at first i was getting my ass handed to japs on fightcade but now am quite good because a jap became my friend and we both would practice together and now i only play sf3s and americans swedeish Europeans dont even come near but japs are still strong on fightcade, and in old days my bro's friend taught me cs 1.6 and i became quite good at it and was able to survive online but didn't really kept playing so became quite rusty.

And an in shape 73 year old elderly woman is not physically fit.
At all.
That's infirm.

You literally have no excuse for not climbing Everest if an old lady can do it.

being handsome is not a skill though

She was most likely in a bag and carried or just strapped to a guys back on his way to the top.

Those are his listed reasons for not wanting to do it. That doesn't mean he couldn't, given enough preparation. He never climbed Everest because he had no interest.

Gee it's almost as if you can't work hard and practice and get good at modeling.

>good genetics
>natural talent

>Larry Bird came out of his mom's uterus dribbling a basketball and hitting corner threes.
This is the truth and anybody who says otherwise is a liar.

checkmate atheists
and that motivation thing is quite right that why some people are able to practice a game and stick to it, that's talent, just like in fighting games there are some players who rely on their natural instincts so they most certainly pick offensive play style and other players who are calculative and practiced their way up like luffy

>Carried up to the top of Everest
user... there a reason people who die at the summit stay there.

So you're saying that propping up an extreme case that probably has a logical explanation as an obligation to do something extraordinarily exceptional is silly?

The "excuse" is the lack of interest in climbing Everest, no one said it's impossible to do it even if they put in the effort. The post that started this whole reply chain was working under the assumption that you actually want to improve at video games and care about them. You're bringing up something completely unrelated that nobody here expressed any interest in.

We should just agree that using exceptions and outliers is silly.

Fighting games are the higest skill level , alot of the players train and live like actual fighters its impressive to say the least, cant wait untill its on the main sports channels and is taken seriously by people over the age of 12

So you're saying that you can't just get good at modeling by practice and either you're born pleasing to look at or you'll never model?

This post will get ignored, unfortunately.
It's very interesting.

>so you were saying
Hahahahaha

So family-pai.

What are you saying?

LUDA

>Tfw as soon as you acknowledge that you're "in the zone, you come out of it

It's not fair brehs, I just want to DOMINATE all the time.

I wasnt the user you were sucking off

>people won't even let losers accept that they're loser trash

Fucking wow. Just when you think you can't take anything more from someone you try to take more from them.

I gotta say it must take HUGE balls to do that and sleep at night.
Huge balls. I don't think I could sleep at night doing a dickmove like that.

What about people with downs that are models anyway? Like Madeleine Stuart.

Maybe if you practice really hard at having a larger penis you could be!

>genetic lottery
>somehow "motivation" and "self-discipline" are now genetic

Are you retarded?

This is why I hate my life. With HFA, no matter how hard I fucking try I'm always shit tier. Many people don't realize the hell I put myself trying to meet normal human standards, the pain I go through "practicing" being a normal human being. Fuck autism.

Talent is a fabrication. There is no such crutch.

Either you practice and git gud, or you don't, and stay mad.

>He never learned how to train his dragon

Silly question.
What is motivation and self discipline from?

To add to this. I probably work 2-3 times as hard to meet the same standards normal people do. I'm busting my ass and my mind to do what's easy to everyone else.

So yeah, the huge exception to this thread is disabilities. Mental disabilities are extremely unfair and punishing to those who have them and often no amount of practice can get someone with one to a certain standard.

problem is theres a limitation on peoples continued existance called skill cap you fuckweasel.
a certain person can only git so gud, and any amount of effort beyond that point is meaningless, just because your some young underaged faggot doesn't mean you can just say stupid shit willy nilly. there are genres for people that no matter how much effort they throw in it becomes completely meaningless, and anyone who denies this is in fact retarded.

I actually understand just a little bit where you're coming from, user.
I'm bipolar, and that comes with certain challenges, but probably nowhere near yours.

I sympathize and understand exactly how you feel, however.

Which is why most posts talking about hard work have an "As long as you're not legit disabled" disclaimer.

You know damn well what I mean when I say that, but I guess it's easier to pretend to be retarded than forming your own arguments.

In case you actually are though:
We (humans in the 1st world) live partly outside of the whole survival of the fittest thing, because in a social system like ours, very few get left behind, even lazy and dumb fuckers who don't wanna work get welfare etc. You don't need to adapt/git gud to survive anymore.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services, you agree to our use of cookies.Learn More

r/copypasta
Every FUCKING day with these STUPID fucking MEMES!
u/yaboisigfried255d, 10h
AAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Every FUCKING day with these STUPID fucking MEMES! I've had it up to HERE with stupid fucking memes! You guys make me want to KILL MYSELF! Is that what you fucking want? For me to fucking KILL MYSELF and write on my suicide note "Cause of suicide: Couldn't handle all of the stupid fucking memes, killed myself"? Because that's what it might as well fucking say!

You guys are literally, L I T E R A L L Y incapable of having even the SIMPLEST of fucking discussion without "MEME THIS, MEME THAT, PROBABLY TYLO BE CHILLIN, HERE'S A PIC OF HUMBLE CANNONS BY AARON ELLIS, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA EBIN AMIRITE?" Fucking STOP IT you pathetic fucking FAGGOTS, you are such fucking cancer that I cannot even fathom how you fucking scumbags live your dumb gay lives. Don't you have a job to get to, schoolwork to finish or a family to attend to? Do you literally do ANYTHING productive with your lives other than post stupid fucking memes on the music section of a god damn anime imageboard? You fucking people make me sick and you're damn lucky I don't have any of your fucking addresses you fucking pieces of shits. I'd spit in your faces.

>We (humans in the 1st world) live partly outside of the whole survival of the fittest thing, because in a social system like ours, very few get left behind, even lazy and dumb fuckers who don't wanna work get welfare etc. You don't need to adapt/git gud to survive anymore.
You know that doesn't mean that trash and garbage people like myself don't happen, right?

It just means people who don't deserve life like myself get it.

I'm not saying trash people don't exist, as evidenced by daily life.

I'm saying that trash people can git gud at many things. Anyone can, most just lack the discipline and will to do so.

Trash and garbage is people who can and don't have anything to offer the world. They won't ever be able to give anything back to the world and have no value and should commit suicide.

Unfortunately, in my case, we often lack the courage to even manage that. Not sarcastic, but, sorry about that.

I'd remove myself from the planet and make it a better place if I could.

>lack the discipline and will
Where do you think these things come from sport?

Repetition is the path to mastery.

Not the same thing. 5"2 jimmy mcjimson with a small frame is not going to beat a 6"5 gigga nigga into the NFL just because he works harder.

Yes gigga nigga has to work hard but he's naturally talented enough for that work to fully pay off. Jimmy might play college in a 2nd rate school at best.

You're so absorbed in your own misery that you simply refuse to take any measures against it. You disgust me

Yes user, I've NEVER tried anything ever.

honestly, its not all looks. Supermodels in particular aint even that hot, they just dress and groom well.

And you're so smug on your own sense of self aggrandization you're incapable of empathy.

they come from introspection, reflection and not being a complete 100% dumbass.

Old-school Mang0 vs. M2K

Talent will win in bursts but practice has the possibility to come out the greater influence

Cred Forums go home

It's pretty disgusting how you worded that.

Your self esteem is just fucked, kick yourself in the ass and grow a pair.

So you believe free will.
Which is a natural thing, something you're born with.

Which isn't something you have control over.

Empathy has limits. Simply going on and on about how miserable you are and how you can do nothing about it won't get you any empathy from most people

user, your arguing skills could use some work.
How does that prove that some people just really shouldn't live and have no value?

>free will
>something you have no control over

c'mon son

I'm not arguing here. I'm just saying you should stop feeling sorry for yourself and try to change the way you see yourself, through good actions.

You feel disgust because your were insulted as a person because you ran into an ideological impasse that insulted your belief systems and found someone who was so terrible and you found a way to make it about _you_ by being personally insulted by them existing.

That's not a lack of empathy anymore. That's self centeredness to the point of not believing in the existence of other people.
I'd pity you, but, sadly, you're probably still a better person than me so I can't judge.

>feeling sorry for yourself
No, feeling sorry for yourself is bemoaning and feeling bad about your lot in life.
Self loathing is when you hate yourself and are pretty sure you deserve the bad things that happen.

I know it's semantic but it's a distinction I'd prefer to keep if it's all the same to you.

>something you have no control over
So your free will is something you chose at birth?

>personally insulted
I see it more as an insult to society, actually.

So you think it's impossible for society to produce refuse and trash people, despite stating explicitly it is setup to enable just that?

No, I simply refuse to believe that people can be complete trash, unable to do/contribute anything. "Maybe you should apply yourself a little more" may be an overused phrase but it still holds some degree of truth

I'm not sure what epic counter point against work and dedication you're trying to get at here.

You're born with free will I guess and it's up to you to use it. Don't educate yourself, be lazy and dumb and you might as well not have it.

Fair enough. Still you should
>stop loathing yourself and try to change the way you see yourself, through good actions.

You're a faggot. Try harder.
I suck at every fighting game I pick up. But I love them, so I try harder. I play until I get good.
Talent alone can never beat hard work.

Honestly if you're not good at a video game within at least two years, you're never gonna be.

And when I mean good, I mean either the best or close to it.

>No, I simply refuse to believe that people can be complete trash, unable to do/contribute anything.
I think we've been down this road.
First as an aside, I'm sorry if I was harsh or callous, you clearly didn't deserve it.

Secondly:
If it can happen to animals. In nature, there's genetic dead ends, evolutionary throwbacks and all sorts of congenital genetic defects and mutations that are not beneficial to animals. Even among healthy animals, there are genetically stronger, better, faster animals and animals that are just weaker and don't breed and die out as a result.

If that can happen in nature, why can't it happen to people? Descent with modification, was Darwin's original working title for evolution, yes?
So animals and people descend from their anscestors and are modified. So clearly this modification is going to happen regardless of our society. What may or may not happen because of our society is the survival of the fittest part. We have control over that. But we don't have control over our genes modifying at random. And sometimes, at extremes, they just don't end up doing so well.

Fine whatever, I give up. Joke's on you, you're pretty good at arguing so not complete trash after all

Arguing isn't a skill, useful or otherwise. It's an ability to aggravate and wear people down.

>he thinks he's good at fighting games
oh you

>CS:GO
>skill based FPS
my man you wasted 1000 hours in a game that's riddled with RNG, no wonder you didn't see improvment

This. I went to a friends house fir a yugioh party a week ago ( even tho I don't play it anymore) and played killer instinct for the first time. I took a kid off his 10 game dim streak as sabre wolf and stayed undefeated

> implying fps is easier
I've been an ace at smash and street fighter for awhile. Played smash since I was 6

Let me give my two cents.

I'll use melee as an example because it's a common platform for how important talent is. In the melee community, there are obviously people that learn much faster than others. Certain people who started playing two years ago have flown past people who had been practicing for a decade. This is usually chalked up to natural talent, but I don't think that's the exact thing we're looking at.

I think what we're calling "talent" is just a strong ability to learn passively. Tactile learners who can learn how to do things by seeing them and implement complex tactics on their own. So what chance do the untalented have? Well, you can achieve the same results, but you won't get them the same way. Your brain won't learn the nuances of the game just by playing against someone better than you, so that's where you need to do your part. You have to actively watch videos and carefully build one section of your ability at a time using prexisting resources and a lot of solo time. You might think, "that's so much work, it would be easier if I was just one of those tactile learners. They still have the advantage". Well, yes and no. The talented player will probably be better than you at the start, but by studying fundamentals and being conscious about your decisions instead of playing with your gut, you will build a stronger foundation for your play, and eventually that'll pay off when Mr. Raw Talent hits a wall he can't overcome and is forced to study and learn the same way as you to keep improving.

That's the same way a lot of things in life work. You can't be carried the whole way by talent, and if you try you'll put yourself in a bad spot when you have to develop solid learning habits for the first time.

OP here. I only played overwatch for two months I get around 20 -25 kills and 19 deaths. Not good.
It depends

To butt in real quick, you sound like a bitch nigga. Arguing exists to solve disputes in a rational, information driven way. Only women and nu-males feel aggravated by it, since they operate on emotions rather than information.

I think I should get back into melee.it was comfy

How do you practice a fps if not by playing regular matches?

I remember playing TF2 in 2009 on my first own computer. It was one of the first pc fps games I had played since I used to be a console kiddie.

I tried to play demoman and my brain couldn't even grasp how one would make his pills even go near an enemy. I just aimed in the general direction and spat them out on the floor and did approximately 0 damage. I stopped playing demoman after that for like 2 years.

Today I can easily multi airshot with pipes and frequently practice to get even better.

Even shitters can get good at games.
My tip: I should have spent all that time on something more productive, and so should you, like playing an instrument or drawing. Seriously.

>you sound like a bitch nigga
I've been arguing in favor of my own euthanasia for the past few hours.

I think we're long past establishing what levels of pathetic I am.

But being late isn't a terrible thing.

How did you manage, user? I thought I was doing great for a few weeks, then the ball stopped rolling once I fell ill. Been putting off since.

Nobody has ever accomplished anything by feeling sorry for themselves

Patience and persistence. If you get depressed after a few bad rounds you already failed.

Why are you arguing such things? I'm not that guy & I just got here, haven't seen any other thing that you've posted but if you are talking, more arguing, provoking anons to tell you to kys, that shows me you care enough about yourself to act pathetic on the internet. You are self-centered because you're afraid of anyone else's progress. You are probably fresh out of highschool and have no ability to deal with negative situations. You aren't going to kys and every day you'll get a little better at dealing with bullshit.

You're a faggot.

>I shitpost on 4chins all day and jerk off to anime all the time why can't I git gud

Well then stop what you're doing right now and do those reps you've been putting off. Yes, starting off or returning from a break is always difficult. You have to stop complaing and just do it.

WHat do you mean, "it depends"?

Are you trying to say someone with talent would beat someone who's put in work in any given discipline, be it vidya, sports or whatever?

If you truly think that, you've never been good or have understood anything beyond just doing something without any direction.

This. You're using your perceived self-loathing as an excuse to continue to be lazy and do nothing about your situation.

Only if your 'natural talent' is being incapable of learning.

So you need at least some confidence to get better at all. Makes sense.

That's not what the graph shows and it's not what the Dunning Kruger effect is concerned with, but in general, yeah, a bit of confidence is pretty much a necessity for any improvement. If you have no confidence you'll just give up rather than putting any effort into learning and improving.

This attitude is why you're all losers. Finding any excuse to avoid blaming yourself.

>No nothing

But they are literally genetic because they are based from chemical reactions in your brain.

Are you retarded for thinking they are not genetic?

you should see the fighting game threads

This thread is just disappointing.

I'm too tired to keep going. But I'm likely older than you.

Unfortunately I don't have what it takes to kill myself just yet. Still just spineless trash. Wish I did though. Sorry I'm so garbage I can't even do that right.

Maybe someday soon I'll get desperate enough or brave enough.

no it means if you know nothing about something, your confidence in your knowledge about it (this includes thinking you know how someone can be good at it) is quite high. The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know until you reach a point where you've learned enough to realise that you're improving.

All the more reason to kill myself, ya know?

I can't tell if this is a trolling tactic or genuine sadness anymore, becuse it starts to annoy me.

:(
I missed an interesting thread

Genuinely sorry user. Can't be something I'm not. Some people are just garbage. Ya know? They got nothing to offer the world and just are wastes of space.

Get those seratonin levels up you depressed piece of shit and then you will stop being depressed and demotivated.

Fag.

I am absolute dick at fighting, but amazing at RPGs. It's all learned. The thing is that you're turned down because of failure. Like with fighting games, find a style to play that accomodates to you and work from there.

Aside from how serotonin levels can't really be something you control especially if you're bipolar, why would I? The best thing for me and you would be for me to just stop living.

let me guess

Dead end job?

No education?

No meaningful social interaction?

whether you think that or not you'll be right in either case

nobody here knows who that is, good example. I think his type of "talent" is on a different level though.

You're shit because you're fucking shit user, fucking self demonstrating example with your inability to accept responsibility for yourself. So much easier to shift the blame, right?

>Aside from how serotonin levels can't really be something you control especially if you're bipolar, why would I?

I thought medication does exactly that. But tell me if i assumed incorrectly.

>The best thing for me and you would be for me to just stop living.

I dont believe in defeatism, its never too late to just start doing productive things and keep improving. But yeah its hard to relate to someone with a real diagnosed mental illness, i know someone with depression and after reading about it, i cant really relate at all.

A job? Hah. I wish.
Is this the part where you tell me you've been "exactly" where I am now? And felt exactly how I do now and you pulled yourself up by your own bootstraps and how everyone else who doesn't is just so beneath you and because you did it everyone can?

He wants people to cheer him up; to give him some rhetoric that makes it seem okay to be lazy, live off your parents etc. He needs a little boost, a little bit more time to consider things before joining the world and abolishing his sadness.

You literally wouldn't waste the effort talking about yourself otherwise. No one asked to be here. Nothing can be expected of anyone. Try not to be an asshole to those around you, that's it. Help out here and there, take less, give a little more. That's the difference between being a waste or not. If you can't do that much, fuck it. What's it matter? Shit might catch up to you and when/if it does, then just continue your whiny baby bullshit or kill yourself. There isn't some grand purpose; you're not that important. Thus, your self-loathing isn't warranted.

Dumb frogposter.

No, actually.

I hope you kill yourself because you're a drain on the economy and society as a whole.

If you're too much of a bitch to kill yourself then you might as well live comfortably.

user that's the deepest thing I've ever read, whoa.

Well the medication can help. Sometimes. And sometimes it doesn't. And for some people it does nothing. For some people no medication helps. A lot of new medication is introduced each year and there's lots of new vectors that are tried. A lot of them are pretty dangerous too.

Don't know how to explain it to you other than sometimes the medication works. Sometimes it causes narcolepsy. Sometimes it causes suicidal thoughts. Sometimes those come without the medication.

And sometimes it's just because I try really really hard to think if why I have any reason to live and come up empty.

Is this how I find my mutant powers??

Try becoming a cop and channeling that empty self loathing onto other people to feel better about yourself, that's what I do.

Hah. Finally someone who makes a little fucking sense.

>And sometimes it's just because I try really really hard to think if why I have any reason to live and come up empty.

Well if live doesnt have any grand meaning, what reason is there NOT to live?

Severely underrated post

It's interesting how different board perceive this matter. /r9k/ blames all day their parents and genetics. The losers on /sci/ don't even believe that free will exists. The skill based hobby boards argue about talent all the time, many loath the word talent and avoid accepting the term at all costs. The entertainment boards like Cred Forums and Cred Forums generally accept both sides to some degree, probably because big boards are made up of small boards.

Even without a grand purpose, some people have abilities, talents... They contribute. Can make people smile. Can express their feelings through art, music, writing. Can make an impact on lives for the better, be a positive change and can generally contribute to society.

And then there's garbage like me.

Do it pussy you won't

this projecting

>not being individualist

Who gives a shit if you contribute, i wanna grab what i can get and give nothing back.

I explained, I thought, that is the problem.

Oh well. I'm getting really tired anyway.
Sorry for wasting your time.

How on earth is that projecting user?

You're right about being trash, but you don't know why that's the case.

You're trash because you blame your problems on genetics. Even when berating yourself, you have it in your mind that you were born to be this way and it isn't your fault. That's an easy attitude to have. You're a quitter, and that makes you trash.

I won't argue that's true for me.

But I don't think that people can't be born without any skills. Don't think it's my parents fault at all. But it happens. Why you think no person can be born without anything to offer the world is odd.

You've no reason or explanation to believe that.

"If you try you can do anything!"
This is tone deaf to reality.

You can't do /anything/, but you can do SOMETHING, you lazy sack. Try harder, and try more things. If you pretend you can do nothing you're taking an easy out.

>he visits /sci/
I'd argue you could do most things

youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

I prefer this one

>bwaah my genetics make it impossible for me to do anything
Hey why don't you like, learn how to cook or something. If your IQ is higher than 75 you can follow a recipie and people will love you for it

People aren't born with skills. Babies are shit at everything.

All skills are acquired. If you think you have nothing to offer the world, remember the world always needs janitors.

I still have no clue where this myth that there are no humans of no value out there. That there's a reason for every single person to exist or something they can do.

I really don't mean to condescend but I just haven't seen any good supporting statement other than kindergarten nonsense and rhetoric. The possibility that some people just are redundant at best is so high with a population like this. You can't possibly argue that there's nobody out there that's worthless.

The worthless people are the ones like you who are complacent with offering nothing

Follow that user's advice, learn how to cook nice meals for your family or something instead of being a whiny waste of universe

>All skills are acquired
Some people just aren't going to ever get useful at them. I can type but so ca everyone here. I can read. I assume you can as well. However. I am going to go out on a limb and say you're good at something.

I'm not.

The matter of talented people is warped because of the internet. How many actually skilled people have you seen in your life? I have literally seen none and I worked multiple jobs and moved a few times. Really skilled people are incredibly rare. It's fine just being average.

What family?

I live alone.

Besides that, your assumption is that I've tried nothing. Based on ... again, I'm confused.

You don't work hard enough

You've probably seen someone who can at least do something well.
You probably CAN do something well.

>I can't follow a recipie
>I am literally too retarded to read
Also not having a family is a different problem than not having the talent to make anyone happy. If you did live with people there are things even you could do for them.

If you are born retarted to the point where you can't do anything its highly likely that you won't get good at something. But I think the argument was for relatively healthy people. But defining relatively healthy becomes the next problem, so there is no real argument to be made either way.

Still, I've seen the dumbest people master mechanical skills that dont require strategy to either learn or apply, just repetition.

You think it's impossible to work hard at something and go nowhere.

It's so baffling to see someone believe humans can't ever be, well, not amazing?

Have you thought humans might not be a flawless species?

Yeah I mean really skilled people not just learned to do some craft well. People that really pushed themselves for mastery you know. It's just reality that most people eventually stagnate and don't improve anymore since they don't have real passion for their craft or just not the will. Or maybe they're happy with the skills they already have.

Oh anyone can read and follow a recipe.
That's something anyone can do. Even me.
What's your point?

Most things don't require you to do anything skillful you fucking retard, you know how to read, you know red from blue, there's things you can do in the world.

Will you? No, because whiny cunts don't like to change their minds and they never accomplish anything

My point is not everything requires you to be a prodigy jackass, why don't you apply yourself to something as simple as that.

Im getting kinda sick of your brow beating rhetoric to be honest.

I'm getting kind of sick of degenerates

>tfw good at video games
>tfw flow hits
>improvising moves and tactics on the fly
>a perfect storm of juking, mindgames, pinpoint aiming, split-second retreating and aggressive charging
>opponents can't predict my moves because even i don't know what i'm going to do
>they end up being unable to do anything

Ah.
Explains who I'm talking to.

Being able to function wasn't the argument.
Following a recipe isn't talent. It's basic reading comprehension

There's no point to argue with you, because you're a self loathing whining faggot until someone calls you out for it, at which point you become defensive and condescending about it. You have the /worst/ personality type, and it's so much more common than you think

Working hard does not result in learning in ALL fields of expertise. Some fields (or periods of learning) require strategical thought on how to improve, before repetitive training becomes useful again. This being said, there are fields in which repetitive repetition will make you better. Running a lot will give you good physical condition, and make you really good at running. But even in this example strategically planned diet and exercise will give better results.

But just because you run into a wall in your learning experience does not mean that you are incapable of passing that wall. Unless you are held back by severe physical handicap these walls can usually be overcome by studying on the subject, wheter through books, videos or even purchasing private couching.

Sometimes even sticking to the repetition that felt like was going nowhere, will eventually push you to the next level. In fact, it may have been the feeling of going nowhere that was the actual challenge.

It really depends on where we define skill, but some fields are based on simply collecting a lot of knowledge. And following a recipe really well, or following a really hard recipe are still things as well.

I've never been to /sci/ but surely it's obvious to everyone that there's no such thing as free will?

You'd think so but some people don't like to think of it that way cuz it can make life seem meaningless