Sci-fi game has alien races

>sci-fi game has alien races
>they're just humans with makeup on
>they can breed with humans despite arising from completely unique and separate circumstances
The probability of an alien race having DNA close enough to a human's is astronomically low. Think that our closest relative, chimps, can't breed with us.
And on an infinitesimally LOWER probability is the chance that aliens even have the molecule DNA, and don't work on some completely different system of life.

Anyone else always annoyed by this? I know why they do it, because it's easier to think of a race of blue humans than something unique, but it goes too far beyond my suspension of disbelief.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_evolution
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convergent_evolution

duhhhhh

are asari futa

>sci-fi game set in far future
>humans still use mp3 format to listen to music and audio

You literally just completely misunderstood the very concept of convergent evolution, and yet you fucking linked me to that Wiki page as some kind of argument.
You fucking dumbass.
Convergent evolution is the phenomenon in which two completely different species will adapt in similar ways and even attain similar forms. But the defining factor is that they're completely fucking different species with no genetic relation at fucking all. They have no possibility of mating, despite looking superficially similar.

OH HEY! Bats look like birds! I bet they can breed! Hyenas are kind of like wolves, they can probably breed! Yeah, dolphins can totally mate with sharks and produce offspring!

Fucking hell, user. You are so fucking stupid. You are so motherfucking retarded.

>Think that our closest relative, chimps, can't breed with us.

Says you.

Fucking a chimp is not the same as breeding with one, user.

I breed chimps ALL the time, dude

Why did you link the asari as your pic? They don't reproduce anywhere close to how humans do. I don't even think they need our DNA to do it either? Don't they just use some sort of telepathy magic to impregnate themselves?

nice post, i enjoyed reading it

No, I'm not annoyed by this as I'm not a complete autist.

>forgetting the Asari don't even have to actually breed

shut up nerd

The Asari were just a random example, I haven't played Mass Effect.
I could have brought up a vulcan from Star Trek but that's not vidya.

>>The Asari were just a random example, I haven't played Mass Effect
Well this was a dumb, pointless thread

Now that I think about it there isn't any species in mass effect can breed with humans except the asari, and it's not even really "breeding." You might have been better off just posting the vulcan senpai

>space year two-zero-one-six
>not knowing that all sapient life was engineered by ancient space gods

>I could have brought up a vulcan from Star Trek

Watch TNG s6e20. It's not a very good episode, but it addresses this.

Asari don't actually breed with other races though. According to lore, it's probably more accurate to call them a parasite. They barrow genetic material as an influencer to give a little diversity to their offspring so it's as least a 'copy' of themselves as possible when they have it.

Also, imagine an alien that doesn't create offspring through what we think as mating but rather it 'breeds' itself INTO you. IE: The Thing.

The Thing is literally a perfect movie

ITT: OP has no idea what the fuck he's talking about

You do know that Asari appear to be a female of whatever species is viewing them with slight alterations, right?

The easy answer is that they're bisexual blue space babes you can romance because that shit is as old as Captain Kirk

I remember seeing a tidbit in ME2, some random NPCs taking about some Asari table dancer or some shit, that implies that Asari have some sort of effect that causes the species of the viewing race to see features that closely relate to their own. Shepard being a Human means that he/she will see human features but one of the non human NPC's was claiming that Asari shared his features.

This. Why even fucking make the thread if you didn't even have a video game to reference? I even checked Cred Forums to a dupe thread because I figured it was one of those you just change a few words for and spam it across different boards

Fuck off!

Oh I get it. That's very clever

The original fucked with my calm for weeks when I saw it as a kid. Damn good movie.

I can't imagine watching The Thing as a kid.
I had paranoia for weeks after watching Alien as a kid. If I thought that my parents could be aliens I don't think I'd have been able to sleep at all for months.

> they're just humans with makeup on

Its like you didn't even play the game. Every single race view Asari differently. In ME2 theres a group watching a stripper and they all mention how the Asari they're looking at has the features of THEIR OWN race.

Nobody knows what the fuck Asari actually look like.

Idiot.

I liked the version of this gif with the pizza better.

>Its like you didn't even play the game
he even admitted it here

I like to think at some point humans colonized space and evolved but so much time had passed that they've gone through so many ages from sci fi to cavemen then back to sci fi then back again so that they've forgotten about originating from humans. Explaining why everyone is just humanoids with a few changes

I saw it when I was 7, I believe. I was even scared of my dog for a while because of that movie.

That's not what the thing does at all, it just kills and eats you then makes a copy of you.

Asari don't use DNA to reproduce, and can't get someone else pregnant. They're genetically designed to appear attractive to whoever sees them and get themselves pregnant from a handshake when they're telepathically bonded to who they choose to be a mate, providing their mate is mentally receptive of the concept.

So all that shit you said is totally irrelevant.

>So all that shit you said is totally irrelevant.
No, all that shit YOU said is totally irrelevant.

no op, your thread is retarded and so are you

Asari look down on Asari who breed with other Asari.

user, buddy.
Listen.

You're not breeding with them.

You're sodomizing their holes for fun.

Please understand.

The whole point of Mass Effect is to take old illogical sci-fi tropes like blue alien babes and put them in a hard science fiction setting.

If I remember right a dev on the Bioware forums said people were overthinking that conversation and it was more a case of people focusing on features they liked and less of a case of weird alien mind control or pheremones or whatever it is that people think.

Like it doesn't explain why photographs of Asari all look the same. It's not like you can mind control people through a photograph.

But in-universe the Asari are capable of reading and manipulating human DNA sequences to make them viable for offspring.

That's, like, the entire point of their race's culture, and why they're all female. They can breed with just about anything we'd consider alive.

>Mass Effect
>hard science

>science fiction
>FICTION

no i am not annoyed by it because it is not real.

I don't understand. You said all that shit because you think that that an alien that is basically a "human with makeup" and can "somehow reproduce with humans" is ridiculous.. but when provided with clear reasons as to why you're a fucking retard, you resort to being a bigger retard?

Also it's revealed in ME3 that the Protheans were covertly guiding the evolution of all modern species, the asari were their favourites but pretty much every humanoid species was designed that way and given certain evolutionary advantages.

So really they don't look like humans, we all look like Protheans.

>take old illogical sci-fi tropes like blue alien babes
yes
>and put them in a hard science fiction setting.
no
Do you even know what "hard scifi" means?

Not OP faggot. But OPs point is still valid.

>ME
>hard science fiction
I don't actually have a reaction image suitable for a statement this retarded
Well done

"harder" anyways. "not completely soft".

That's exactly what it is. Hell you even see their own statues and the asari look like their normal selves.

>OPs point is still valid
except it literally isn't because he's completely wrong

Except it's not. At all. And you're even more of a retard for agreeing with him.

Fucking niggers isn't the same

>literal biological/technological magic
Yes, faggot. Mass Effect is soft as fuck. The only thing softer than it would be Science Fantasy like Star Wars

>OP makes a dumb baseless assumption
>actually admits he didn't even play the game

>>they're just humans with makeup on
>>they can breed with humans

you just answered your own question

>the molecule DNA
>DNA
>molecule

I came here to laugh at you

There's a phenomenon that I use to rationalize this in sci-fi.
It may be a characteristic of nature, not just Earth nature, but a universal characteristic that bipedal forms like humans are the ticket to forming intelligent life capable of interstellar travel, etc.

Maybe you have to be humanoid to achieve that level.

Oh. Well you should have just said that to begin with.

Is there any unique ayy lmaos that aren't recolored humans or humans with animal masks?

What point? the OP didn't even really have a game in mind when he made the thread

yeah, that's fucking retarded.

Rachni?

and krogan, and the little preying mantis things on the citadel, and salarians

What? The blue space babes part or the implication of psychic space pheromones?

It's fiction you nerd, calm down

I still liked your post user

>krogan

Stand on two legs, thus bipedal. Salarians are also bipedal. Also the keeper just seemed like organic drones, no real intelligence.

Krogan and Salarians are bipeds with forward facing eyes and other humanoid-ish characteristics. Granted, they're further from the form than the Drell for instance, but they're pretty close.
I was gonna say Hanar but like the Keepers (the preying mantis things), they were notably modified and uplifted by other, humanoid aliens.

It doesn't wear people like a cheap suit nor does it really eat them in the traditional sense. It infests them, converting their biomass into it's own and then it keeps that information of everything it's ever infected to both make it stronger, more versatile and capable of infiltration.

The Zerg, for instance are capable of something similar.

A better example of what that user was talking about is The Flood

Yeah shit the guy I was replying to, I thought was replying to Which I think makes infinitely more sense than who I actually replied to, my mistake

>He wouldn't suck an asari's futa dick

>Wouldn't suck dick
>Therefore sucks dick
>QED
And /d/ disappears in a puff of logic.

Spotted the emasculated ERPer.

Fucking this. People bring up this retarded scene all the time in these threads. Asari arnt mind controlling other races.

Asari are able to mate with anything with a nervous system. It has nothing to do with humans. They are just using our genetic code to randomize their own and cloning themselves.
Besides that, that is extreme cherry picking considering we also have salarians krogans hanar elcor protheans yahgs and more as truly alien aliens.

What do you know about Banes?

Go to bed, Walters.

Joking aside I absolutely despise this stupid plot idea that "humans are perfect" "humans have the greatest potential" "humana are more compatible with (macguffin) than anyone else."

It implies that we're just a self serving messanaic race of self importsnt monkeys (which we are) and not some interstellar accident (which we are) for some greater purpose that isn't random as fucking shit because an assload of people can't stand or cope with the idea that we're a fucking 1 in a billionth chance of living, so we must be made by an "intelligent creator" or "put on here for a greater purpose."

But of course, Bioware doesn't know how to write species without making them "relatable" in appearance and mannerisms. It reminds me how they made the Drell more humanoid in their facial structure because they didn't think the players would like them enough.