Villains that did nothing wrong

Villains that did nothing wrong.

OP I agree one hundred percent! Breen was trying to save earth and its inhabitants from being enslaved from the overwhelming Galactic combine federation ! ! !

He was legitimizing the occupation and pacifying the population. He convinced himself he was working for the betterment of the species and ensuring some kind of survival for humanity, but deeper inside he realized it was a perverted truth, and he sold everyone out for his own personal benefit.

He was really just a puppet for the combine. Though I don't get how he went from a science administrator to a "ruler" of Earth ( I never played HL1, only HL2)

Breen isn't HL1, but he is retroactively added to the story in HL2.

The story of how became the administer of Earth is that when the Combine invaded and BTFO everyone in the 7 hour war he negotiated the surrender of the Earth governments and the Combine made him the administer after that.

but why did the combine choose him out of everyone else on earth, and how could they communicate since their aliens.

He was the leader of Black Mesa behind the entire research which led to alien invasion thanks to a fuck up. Basically he was the only human who had a chance to communicate with them.

Because reasons. The games never directly detail the 7 hour war and the time around it.

Those advisors probably have telepathy because muh deus ex machina.

But why did anyone listen to him when he said "hey guys lets all just surrender" when he's just some random science asshole?
In fact, I'd think if anyone actually knew who he was, they'd be even less inclined to listen to him since the facility he was administrator of was responsible for the entire alien invasion in the first place.

hmm that makes sense. he fucked up and got humanity enslaved.

>Cucked us to the aliums
>Nothing wrong

Yeah, no. I'd rather die than live as a slave.

Just fukken play HL1 ya neo faggot.

Scientists found some shitty crystal, Gordon started an experiment, big boom, portals open and aliens invade, military goes in and gets an order to clear the area, including scientists, because it's Area 51 and no one must know what the fuck is happening there. Thanks to Freeman military fails, and they send black ops, who fail as well. Gordon goes to the alien world of Xen and fucks up the alien leader. G-man appears and says "we have no idea what to do with the story, but we may need money in the future, so lets make a cliffhanger Valve style" 6 years late Half Life 2 happens.

What if it was part of a master plan to allow a resistance to take over

this

explains

everything

Breen has literally 0 power. Put yourself in his shoes.
>Doin science shit that shouldn't be getting done
>Suddenly aliens from the edges of reality get tossed into earth thanks to catastrophic failures
>Military nukes the base, ok everything seems ok now
>Suddenly Nyarlathotep rips open a hole in reality, rapes the fuck out of every military on the planet without even breaking a sweat
>Ignores the UN, ignores all world leaders, hunts you down and tells you that you are in charge
>O-okay
>Tells you that there are 3 options.
>they can have any of the other races from alternate dimensions force-ably pacify humanity and turn them into mindless cyborgs
>they can completely wipe humanity off the face of the earth and that will be the end of it
>or you can help facilitate a slow gradual adoption of getting turned into yet more synths for their army while they eat up the resources
keep in mind these eldritch fuckers probably made a few examples out of world leaders a la ripping out their souls and subjecting them to unimaginable tortures for all eternity in front of you

and then this fucking faggot ass motherfucker in his hazmat suit shows up out of nowhere and ruins everything. suddenly Overwatch is made to look completely useless, the rebellion is in full swing and OH FUCK he's in the fucking citadel. the masses are fucking revolting and you are LOSING this battle. All of the time and effort getting invested in this planet is now getting torn down. You haven't heard from the eldritch bosses in a while, they've relegated communications to one of their middle-manager cyborg races, the advisors. These here advisors aren't very amused at your failings and continue to question just how in control the situation is.

So after some time when you manage to capture the leaders of the rebellion you also get Gordon Freeman! Outstanding, maybe humanity will be spared the eternal mind rape you saw your predecessors get subjected to... And well, you know the rest.

> Nyarlathotep

I'm not the original guy who didn't play HL1.
Nothing you said contradicts anything I said.
Black Mesa was responsible for the events leading up to the alien invasion, so I'd have to imagine anyone Breen tried to convince to surrender with him would think one of three things:
1 - "Who the fuck are you?"
2 - "Hey you're the administrator of Black Mesa, aren't you? The people responsible for this? You seem like a huge screw up and I don't want to listen to you."
3 - "Hey you're the administrator of Black Mesa, aren't you? The people responsible for this? You're probably in league with the aliens, I'm not going to listen to you!"

I'm just not seeing a situation where everyone on the planet listens to some random guy who tells them they should surrender to an attacking alien force, especially when he has a connection to the source of the invasion.

The leaders of the Combine are pretty much indirectly said to be extradimensional eldritch super beings who conquer sentient races for shits and giggles.

Also G-Man is the Illuminati and they are the masterminds of the rebellion.

It's possible the aliums were going around killing shit while he broadcasted "Stop resisting or they'll kill more of you" during that 7 hour war. But they also never go into that so it's all speculation. It's also possible that if the aliens were broadcasting his face to everyone, people may stop and think "Who the fuck is this dude?" and surrender in the confusion. They're not exactly solid theories obviously because this game doesn't really do a good job of explaining why, as you said.

He doesn't talk to anyone, there is no convincing. Humanity gets wiped out being unable to resist the superior technology. Humans are turned into brainless cyborgs. Breen is the only known human who wasn't turned into a slave, probably because having a masked cyborg as a leader would be even scarier to locals. And since he's the leader of Black Mesa, obviously he was one of the first guys taken by aliens, so he had a chance to offer cooperation.

We don't know what's in his heart
I bet they were planning to have him betray the combine at a critical moment

Literally the best answer.
>tried being the best he could be
>tried helping as many people as he could in the beginning
>gets betrayed and losses more and more the harder he tries
>we play as random hoodlums and murderers when fighting him
Jack was probably the best character for a villain to be honest senpai because instead of just being "le ebil XD" he had a reason and turned evil simply because in order to do more good, he had to be bad.

I have never witnessed a character be this right about anything

What superior technology? Everything the combine had was able to be defeated by a single man with nothing more potent than a hand held rocket launcher.
Any military would have access to ground vehicles and aircraft with weapons far exceeding the destructive power a hand held rocket launcher could put out. At the very least, they'd have multiple guys with rocket launchers.
Keeping in mind also that about 98% of the combine-allied enemies you fight are their trans-human forces, which wouldn't have existed during the initial invasion, and since the trans-human combine also seem to be the ones responsible for rounding up other humans to turn into more trans-humans they wouldn't have been able to do that either, at least not in the same capacity as they're able to now that they're in-charge and unchallenged.
So what exactly did the Combine take over the entire Earth and all of its militaries in only seven hours with?

siding with the aliums was fine. turning on the anti-fuck beam was wrong.

Striders which can destroy buildings with one blast. Aircraft which flies at high speed and needs 4 rockets to destroy. An entire army of lightning throwing mutants, headcrabs turning people into zombies, armored robots hunting down survivors and cyborgs who can dissolve people into atoms with funny balls of energy? All of this coming in a few minutes out of nowhere on top of your head?

Simply fuck off you dumb autist. I bet you shitpost about Doom, Duke Nukem or any other one man army piece of fiction.

i like to imagine that the earth was destroyed as the credits rolled on hl2ep2

He just wanted dat ass.

…Wait, shit, this isn't the Gorgeous Freeman continuity. My bad.

Are your muscle cells "cucked" by your nerves?

find a flaw

I won't fuck with this senator

Breen was right. He still did PLENTY wrong. Breen WAS right, overall, in the time before HL2. The only reason HL2 was possible was because of Breen sheltering the resistance and stalling the Combine from just effortlessly exterminating humanity. His primary tragic flaw was being too involved in his own rationalizations, his own narrative of accommodation, to recognize the significance of Freemans return.

Lots of modern day munitions can destroy buildings, user. Even if it could instantly kill a tank with it's blue death ray, I doubt it would fare much better against a modern day APFSDS or ATGM. Gunships are also comparable in speed to real life gunships, only lacking the missiles real life gunships could also mount. They clearly can't do much against a MANPAD as we can see in-game and I don't think they'd have any defense against a jet. Everything else is easily dispatched by a couple of guys with guns.
Even if you ignore the Gordon Freeman playable character one man army aspect, the human resistance alone is able to fuck the absolute shit out of the forces of the Combine with far less training, organization, and equipment than any of the forces fighting the seven hour war would have had.

Also there's no need for rude name calling.

I think most of the Combine forces that conquered Earth left to go conquer more worlds, leaving a much smaller force behind to keep control. That's why the plot of Episode 2 is to close a superportal which would allow all those forces to return and completely destroy humanity.

He wasn't the hero we wanted.
He was the hero we needed.

Your projected reactions/impressions of Breen are cute, but IRL governments and especially militaries are pragmatic, and Breen would have been of incredibly high value. He would have been one of the only people who would have known anything about Xenian threats AND portal science AND possibly G-Man AND etc.

We don't have much of any direct knowledge of what the period between HL1 and HL2 was really like (aside from that it was probably fairly bad, due to the portal storms), but it's pretty safe to assume Breen retained a position of power comparable to or even greater than Administrator of Black Mesa (and that position should not be underestimated; Black Mesa was a big fucking deal).

Surprised this wasn't posted yet.