Former Sony Executive Claims Portable Gaming Is Dead

In an interview with IGN, Jack Tretton described how the Vita was just too late into the portable gaming market. Citing the rise of mobile gaming, Tretton claimed that there is just no place for dedicated handheld consoles today.
>‘This is a great machine, it’s just too late.’ The world has shifted to portable devices that aren’t dedicated gaming machines.”

what do you think Cred Forums? are handhelds really death?? should Nintendo drop of this too??

to me it sounds more like Fox and Grapes

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=T7tHCr3kVqU
thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/62911/fategrand-order/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I don't know if it's dead but it is certainly going through a metamorphosis. People say the 3DS wasn't affected by mobile, but it IS the worst selling Nintendo handheld since the GB came out and it happened at the same time mobile exploded.

Ds games are notorious for blowing dog dick, that's because no company has ever cared about its portable gaming system's roster of games. Name me 5 games that aren't rehashes of older games that came out for the 3DS

... So I think we'll eventually see handheld start to merge with mobile ecosystems. I mean, the tech is pretty much there already: hook a joystick on a phone made in the last 2 years and you have a killer emulation machine, now imagine if companies made good, full, honest to God games for smartphones. I think we'd have something with potential there.

He's right. The 3DS initially flopped, but it only got saved thanks to Pokemon.
If it wasnt for Pokemon, it would've been dead in the water just like the Vita.

Source?

>hook a joystick on a phone made in the last 2 years and you have a killer emulation machine

Do people actuallly do this though?

I'd like my phone to run out of battery, thanks. This is why I stopped playing Pokemon GO. Not because I got bored, but because it fucking murders my battery. I kinda need my phone for you know, calls.

I'd rather have a dedicated gaming machine than have everything on my phone, but I realize I'm the minority here.

I agree, I think he's saying it largely to save face for dropping the support for the vita so soon after launch, but it's foolish to not notice how mobile games are not only making more money than traditional handhelds, they're also sucking in more players.

and Monster Hunter. That kept it floating in japan and I sure as hell wouldn't have bought one if it wasn't for it coming out here in the west for it

>3DS has sold 20 million less than the PSP and probably won't break 80 million by it's death

Yeah, it's pretty much confirmed that dedicated handhelds are a dying market.

Now, whether there's enough time left in that market for one more handheld before it's truly dead is a different question.

If Nintendo released one last handheld in late 2017 or 2018, it's very likely that with the right games to support it, it could become moderately profitable. However, unless we start getting handheld / portable VR technology, a dedicated handheld will just be a deadweight after ~2020.

Basically, Nintendo has time for one more handheld device, and then that'll be it.

I do it with an Xperia Z5 and I get decent times playing DS and PS1 games, even better with older systems. Keep in mind that a phone also has to run a bunch of shit on the background, it's not made specifically for gaming in mind, etc., so I'd guess that also factors in the whole battery thing.

They dont. The rea, thing is that mobile games AREN'T the same as portable games, but mobile games can make continuous money thanks to pay-to-win/pay-to-play

market do shrank. that is a fact. but I think still about 50-60M. and nintendo now has virtually a monopoly of it. the more Vita dies. more nintendo will strength.
I do see Sony jumping back after 1 or 2 gen to see how the market reacts to what Nintendo pulls out next

>The 3DS initially flopped, but it only got saved thanks to Pokemon.
but pokemon came after it was saved (star fox, mario, and the price cut)

3DS is doing just fine in a mobile dominated market, so that's silly. Also the Vita is doing fine in Japan, it was just SOA refusing to support it in the West. Like 2 years after it came out they decided to relegate it to a PS4 companion device, and started to get rid of retail space in stores.

Pokemon didn't save it, XY didn't come out for a year or two after it came out. It was the massive price drop, and quality titles like Ocarina of Time, 3D Land, Mario Kart, Star Fox, and others that really started flooding out. Of course Pokemon helped a ton, but then again if Sony had released say Shadow of the Colossus, or a Final Fantasy game, or GTA on the Vita it would have done just fine in the West.

to say mobile gaming is one thing, but to cite mobile gaming as the reason is weird because there's literally not even one good game available on phones/tablets

shitty little $1 mini games yes, but that's not even the same thing

PSP sold cause wide spread piracy and emulator machine.

If handheld die, it's going to kill an entire experience of gaming. No on has shown that you can really do a good solid game on mobile that isn't a puzzle game. You will never see a multi hour game on mobile phones. Not even something like Pokémon will really work on a phone, and barely anyone really gives a shit out gaming on a tablet.

>release expensive handheld
>give it ZERO support/worthy exclusives
>leave it to die (outside of japan) after like 16 months

Gaming died when the suits took over

Vita is ONLY doing well in japan likely cause of Sony ties to anime studios and licenses. or downgraded ports of Ps4/Ps3 weabo garbage. but as soon as nintendo release a new HH with a non 240p screen, they will quickly size that part of the market too.

>Check upcoming PSP games
Nothing but discount bin trash

>Check upcoming 3Ds games
Pokemon and discount bin trash

Software matters, if they ain't going to push amazing exclusives then people will just stick with their phones.

the dragon quest games are amazing on mobile

>expensive handheld that can't attract normies bombed
I wonder why.

That's understandable though, the 3DS library is garbage compared to GBA or DS.

Bravely Default
Kid Icarus Uprising
Pokémon X and Y
Super Mario 3D Land
Kirby Triple Deluxe

This. Vita died over here because Sony pretended that the Playstation brand was only for FPSs during the parts of the Vita's slide when it should have been marketed as the Real Japanese Machine.

He is right that there is no place for a DEDICATED handheld
The NX needs phone capability if it is going to survive

Vita is doing pretty well in Japan, though, especially among the otaku market. It's doing so well that Sony Japan just released two new colors.

>to me it sounds more like Fox and Grapes
Then you obviously don't know what this means. Vita failing and this news is not a f&g scenario; learn to differentiate.

Rehash means anything that's part of an established series or genre.

>NX needs now to fight with Samsung and Apple
are you this retarded?

He's right. Look at how much less 3DS has sold compared to NDS.

All they have to do
Is create a new Smart Phone
That can play PSVita Tier games
That shit'll sell like Hotcakes on a sunday morning.

Seriously.

>why won't people buy our lazy ports and overpriced rehashes instead of $1 phone games

There's nothing TO fight. Samsung and Apple don't treat thier phones like consoles.

3DS now is fighting with Samsung and Apple

Overpriced memmory cards.

So make a dedicated console? No one buys a phone to play upcoming mobile games.

>Rehash

>verb
>To put (old ideas or material) into a new form without significant change or improvement.

>noun
>A reuse of old ideas or material without significant change or improvement.

You know I think that suggesting that the handheld is a failure is only making it so. Even as a PC elitist, I was expecting good things from the nice hardware package. It is only the lack of good games that 'killed it'. I still believe there is time for a second wind if some good games come out.

Bullshit, it definitely isn't. Mobile gaming cannot replace dedicated portable games made with controls more than just tapping and swiping. The reason why the Vita flopped so hard is because they've actively alienated Vita users when it comes to file-sharing, bullshit memory card prices, dropping support and denying the user to even reliably alternate inbetween accounts without obtaining another memory card, all for the sake of protecting against piracy, despite having failed in the end because you can pirate Vita games now. It is literally Sony's fault the thing failed, if it weren't for the draconian restrictions the Vita has and if they dedicated themselves to actively support the thing, they would've profitted from it. Being so anti-pirate that you punish normal users and deny them any features will of course scare potential customers away.

>handhelds are dead

No Sony suffers because they focus on graphics and don't make jrpgs for it. They want to make all these action oriented titles that requires time and focus. Something you can't really just turn off on a moments notice

Nintendo on the other hand has a better line up for handhelds but most of those titles are no longer quality titles. The seems forced and dumb down meme shit like the lates mario rpg title. Color splash or whatever it was. Sounds too faggotry to matter.

What will kill the handheld era will be the fact that it isn't constantly online and can compete with mobile phones.

I honestly don't get the hate of having multiple apps open. That's what will draw the new generation of adhd kids who like to use spend their life on youtube.

The standard Cred Forums definition of rehash when it comes to Nintendo is that, if a game is part of a preestablished series or genre, it's a rehash.

Suck my dick while i eat cake and play on my GameBoy, Mom.

This is a mobile game in 2016. And yes there are controller peripherals for phones.

youtube.com/watch?v=T7tHCr3kVqU

3DS has had that for 2 years now, and it's still only pulling 3/4's of PSP's numbers.

>our latest handheld bombed harder than Mohammad so therefor handheld gaming is dead.

PSVita tier games not Mobile shit that you see on google play store. Just make some few addons like 4k-5k camera or a higher resolution or someshit. That's what Samsung and apple's been doing.

everyone goes on and on about how the Vita died, but I got a good 4 years out of it.
I'm currently playing through Trails of Cold Steel II and I think this will be the last Vita game I play on it.
It had a good enough run for a semi-weeb like me who enjoy stuff like Danganronpa or Persona equally as much as I like Killzone Mercenary and WipeOut 2048

HAHAHAAHAHHAAHHAHAAHHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA
AAAAAAAAHAHAHHHAHAAAHAHHAAH

>‘This is a great machine, it’s just too late.’
Oh yes jack it was 'too late' for the Vita, it wasn't fucking:

- overpriced proprietary memory cards with criminally small storage space
- PSN accounts tied to handheld, swapping accounts = reformatting hard drive
- DLC region locked, but will allow you to purchase it anyways, wasting money entirely.
- Online fucking passes
- killing all useful apps for it because 'lol can't be fucked'
- Little to zero support for the handheld by Sony Entertainment America or any incentive to get anyone to buy the handheld when there was clear potential.

Sure we were just too late jack go fuck yourself.

is it released on NA?

PSP was almost out of the gate nigger. how long it too for 3DS??

and as someone said, market do got smaller. but is far from dead

Oh yeah, I can play so many great games on my mobile. Like shitty clickers and ports of better games from other platforms. What he says is maybe true for Japan, but enthusiasts still want a dedicated portable device for video games. Sony's mistake was pitching the Vita as home to AAA exclusives and it didn't live up to that.

both pokemon x/y and kirby 3d fit the bill

idk the vita has digimon and is getting world of final fantasy in a few weeks, 3ds has smt apocalypse and pokemon soon, its been an okay year

suits legitimately dont know the difference between good games and bad games.

they saw "killzone....uncharted....call of duty.....borderlands.....minecraft......assassins creed.......arkham......madden...." and immediately rule out games being why something isnt selling.

But the bigger issue here is that suits DO know that success almost directly correlates to advertising, and vita had none. Maybe its regional. maybe japan was good but america just didnt even WANT to try. america suits knew that it would have to share money with smartphones like the 3ds does, and they just didnt fucking care. these people would rather get no money than work for some money, unless it means getting all the money. competition with 3ds is bad enough, but big scary smartphones could be a big risk so dont even bother investing anymore. makes me worried what sony would do if a big company comes out with game streaming and suddenly consoles look just as obsolete.

Sony's stocks wont be good enough for them to keep on making new consoles LMAO. They are not gonna survive.

Microsoft can just leave the console market, it can do well w/out it.

It kills me whenever people equate mobile gaming to just angry birds. The platform has so much potential, it's just a matter of people actually taking it seriously.

Don't forget they didn't bother to advertise it, even the 3DS had something on occasion, Vita was advertised when Uncharted was coming out, and when CoD came out, that's about it. Then they release the 2000 with BL2 quietly with Gamestop being the only ones who really showed it off, and then they just kept ignoring it. Japan and third parties are basically keeping it alive at this point.

Handheld gaming is not dying.

It fills a niche and given how the modern world works I can see a big resurgence in the future.

I think dedicated home consoles have it worse.

My parents bought me gameboys to shut me up in the car/doctors office/boring relative visits etc.
Kids now will just sit on facebook in those situations and maybe play a shitty mobile game, they dont need games for distraction necessarily anymore.

Final Fantasy Brave EXVIUS and Möbius Final Fanasty say different.

I could see the death of handheld consoles within... 5 years?

I, for one, like my Vita, and wouldn't play anything on a phone, even if it's a fucking open-world sandbox H-game centered around monster girls so long as I keep my Vita.
... speaking of which, wasn't there a thing about the Vita being able to play phone games, like, by design?

I will state right here that if the Nintendo NX is the only handheld in the future, I'll get that.

I fucking hate how nintendo operates, but I love handheld gaming way too much.

Oh wow, some Korean free to play pay 2 win game, mobile gaming is the future!

Can Vita play mobile games?

As long as the mobile audience is just people that want something quick and casual to play for a couple of minutes, it'll never be taken seriously. It's only serious for publishers and devs that want a quick cashgrab.

>wasn't there a thing about the Vita being able to play phone games, like, by design?
Im pretty sure Sony had a whole suite of development tools for making mobile games, whether or not they were only able to run on Xperia phones or not I cant remember.
Im pretty sure it was those games specifically it could play, of which there werent many notable ones, if any.

I'm just waiting for Romancing SaGa 2 to finally get English translation on Vita.

No one. Will buy it. Just for the games. When iPad was beginning to get into games, they tried to port every single current gen game they could think of to the Apple Store, but saw that no one gave a fuck about playing shmups, fighting games, racing games, and rpgs on a mobile device, so they moved on.
What you're wanting them to do is treat a phone like a dedicated console.

Eh Sony will throw another handheld at them just to throw everything at a balance, just like Xbox.

The Vita wasn't "late." The Vita was too expensive, has expensive proprietary memory, and doesn't have a library of games worth dick to people who aren't weebs. Tretton is just trying to make excuses for Sony's piss-poor handling of the Vita.

Correlation does not mean causation. Mobile devices do not compete with dedicated handheld gaming consoles, mobile devices compete with laptops and PCs. Also, mobile exploded years before the 3DS was released.

The 3DS is doing poorly because nobody wanted the 3D gimmick and the library is far weaker than the DS. I find this hilarious because I knew the 3DS would tank years ago when people kept going on and on about how the 3DS sales were outpacing the DS sales, despite the fact that they completely forgot about the DS not selling dick until Nintendogs, Brain Age, and NSMB came out.

Through this, but they've long canceled it due to it being unsuccessful.

>I could see the death of handheld consoles within... 5 years?
That's hilarious, because dedicated home consoles are the ones that are on the verge of extinction, not handhelds. Handhelds are the future as the TV becomes more and more irrelevant.

Guess we'll see a more crowded handheld market in 5 years. Xbox Two and PS5 are probably handhelds.

Wasn't Nintendogs a DS launch title, or am I just thinking of its 3DS counterpart?

There's definitely a market for good portable games, given that mobile games are almost universally shallow time-wasty bullshit full of microtransactions that encourage you to treat playing them more like an obligation than entertainment.

>TV becomes more and more irrelevant.
What do you mean, user? The last time I checked, the TV is as important to console gaming as is the console's power cord.
Unless you mean something like the Wii U, or maybe that cheesy Gamecube LCD Screen Attachment.

what

PS4 is selling like hotcakes and the Xbone is doing incredibly well too

>Kid Icarus Uprising
Maybe. I'll give you that one. I haven't seen footage of it.
>Pokémon X and Y
Oh boy, another likeminded game where nothing changes except the number of pokemon that look identical to each other. I wish I was cherrypicking here but they've released literal recolors of pokemon and a shuppet painted like a pikachu.
>Super Mario 3D Land
Oh Shit, here comes dat Mario 64
>Kirby Triple Deluxe
It's a rehash at the core. With small tweeks it's just the first game all over.
Try harder lad.

Sony is in bad shape, and the XBone/Win10 compatibility is Microsoft saying that it can phase out Xbox and just make it thier Steam equivalent.

I predict that there will be one more actual generation before Sony and Microsoft throw in the towel and gamers pretend they never liked consoles if they have to face a world with Nintendo as the last console maker standing.

The big jump was probably that oot remake. That was the first major release that got anyone in the west talking.

The Wii U gamepad/Vita's "use it as a screen and controller for your console" thing is a good idea IMO.

Sometimes you want to comfy game in bed and that's what handhelds are good for. Being able to play any game from your console on a handheld you can use in bed is a good idea. I wish remote play was standard for PS3 games like it is PS4 games.

He means that less and less people bother with actual TVs and instead just subscribe to stuff like Amazon, Hulu, or Netflix to actually watch TV shows.

Maybe some "serious" game companies should come together and work out a standard for a mobile controller peripheral that all their games will support and any manufacturer can go and implement. Could help... but probably not.

Okay

>x/y
If you think they're rehashing each other, then yes.

>Kirby 3D
Triple Deluxe doesn't have super abilities and co-op and neither does Return to Dreamland have Hypernova, Kirby Fighters, or Dededetour.

>the platform has so much potenial

there are almost no genres where covering the screen with your finger to touch it is beneficial to the game. cell phones dont have a lot of processing power, and games need to be gentle about resources on top of that to account for fragmentation.

quality games CAN be made for it, and some games CAN be successfully ported to it, but smartphones are made for doing EVERYTHING......adequately. and the american industry is finding out with apps what the japanese industry found out with pachislots, that "gamers" dont give you nearly as much money as "addicts", especially since "addicts" are older and much more of a healthy "whale" than college-age tech and film enthusiasts. its also finding out that a lot of "gamers" who loved playstations and marios and halos, etc. are perfectly fine settling with whatever meme app is coming out. that goes for japan, too.

That last bit is what stings the most. It makes games seem disposable and suggests that people kind of didnt care about them in the first place. combined with the trend of just watching a game being as enjoyable as playing it. combined with the press being fine with dumping it in exchange for self-fellating "art" to make themself and their "community" look good. people will tell you games are bigger than ever, but theyre not. theyre just as big, if not smaller, and just being stretched to cover more ground. thats why this gen's consoles were sold at a profit. thats why half of the new consoles games are ports meant to test the market. thats why the few core franchises left seem like the same bloated overproduced mess with in-game stores for more money. its why microsoft thought it could get away with making its new console a TV and download machine and decide to send it off with the announcement of halo....for TV. its why new "pc games" are nostalgia-pandering indie morsels or meme games. feels bad man.

Read

the only reason i dont use my smartphone as a console is because it has no buttons.

They usually use bluetooth. Button inputs are straightforward.

I know, I'm just replying.

I'm talking about making a smartphone with handheld design like the Xperia Play man, no need to get all autistic about it.

Mobile took the possible market segment, killing handheld slowly.

Not that I agree (Sony will keep Playstation alive so they can make money off of something, and Microsoft will make an Xbox so long as there's a Playstation to fight), but I can totally see Sony and Microsoft fan boys claiming that console always sucked if their only options were PC or Nintendo.

Nintendo is about to announce a portable, and Sony have just gotten anihilated in the handheld market and can't think of a way to beat Nintendo.

So how do you save face? You announce that winning in that arena is a fool's errand, and that failing by quitting it entirely is actually a smart thing to do.

Now, if you're inclined to believe anything Sony says, Nintendo look like idiots for beating Sony.

Ironically, consoles are in fact dead in Japan. The PS4 has only JUST outsold the Wii U in Japan.

Except sony did it and no one bought it

So, make a dedicated console.

well you already brought up the xperia play so you already know how that will turn out.

xbox has the money to it

if they release a HH just for the fuck of it and it cannibalize PS4 $$$$, heads will roll

Sure thing

Reminds me of when someone on here said that Nintendo will never die because they can just pull out of the international market and just appeal to Japanese gamers. They can just make portables for decades and the Japanese will love it.

>throw hardware/software with next to no marketing out into the wild
>sit there wondering why it never sold

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW

PSP had a shit ton of commercials with those squirrels and that black kid. What did the vita have? a promo with taco bell that didn't even work right and said everyone won when no one was a winner?

I meant more in the sense of a standardized layout e.g. 2 shoulder buttons, 2 sticks, 4 face buttons etc. I'm not sure if there's mapping differences between these peripherals but they could solve that while they're at it too.

xbox has the money to cannibalize the console market too, honestly.

they have the size, resources, and money to make playstation irrelevant outside of maybe japan.

but they dont because its not worth it. theyre fine doing the bare minimun until the console market isnt sustainable anymore. which is something all console companies are still fearing. the shining lights were the reaction to the awful planned xbox one, and the huge success of AAA games in 2015. market for big gaming isnt dead yet.

Well, this is in fact true. But if someone spins that as Nintendo winning forever it's bullshit. Clearly, pulling out of international markets is a lot of some kind.

Similarly, some say that if NX is a hybrid then it's not a "real console", even if it's literally a system you plug into your TV and supports local multiplayer. And if it's not a true home console, then Nintendo have "abandoned" home consoles, even if the thing went on to sell 100 million units and data showed people played it primarily at home.

It's goalpost-moving marketing bullshit, basically.

I'm loving how the solution for mobile gaming to replace handheld consoles is to just turn a phone into a handheld console. XPERIA and NGAGE should have taught people that no one wants that shit.

*a loss of some kind.

Feel like 3DS is the exception as there was no worthwhile nintendo home console to own during most of its lifecycle so of course nintendo fans would gravitate to it instead. also pokemon, it's like Japans FIFA, moves hardware like crazy.

He is right, though. Another handheld launch at this time would not go as well.

It's also a total non-starter. The royalties end up going to Apple or Google, defeating the object of making a system at all.

Unless all you want to do is sell controller clip-ons and maybe charge royalties for games that support it, would would obviously be a total nonsense business model.

Ghost Trick
FFWotL
Ace Attorney franchise
Banner Saga
FF1-6, 9
TWEWY
Chrono Trigger
Sure, all ports, but still

Daily reminder that Fate GO is a Sony game. 1 million dollars daily revenue.

thinkgaming.com/app-sales-data/62911/fategrand-order/

I love my hacked 3DS/Vita!

>make handheld
>it doubles as a phone
>give it core handheld quality games for core gamers
>plus casual mobile quality games for casual gamers
>make 1 trillion dollars
Why has no one done this yet?

True. It's why I feel like we aren't going to know shit about the NX until next year's Tokyo Game Show; they know that literally anything they announce about it will have Americans figure out a way to label it as a non-console or worst console ever.

Nintendogs didn't come out until 2005, a full year into the DS's life. From 2004 until 2005, the DS had pretty much nothing and the PSP was outselling it, and the DS didn't start to really take off until Nintendogs, Brain Age, NSMB, and other games hit.

> people need to change their phone, which they are not apt to do before the end of their contract
>system would be obsolete after a year, unless they made constant new revisions
>people don't care about things being phones as much as they care about having access to iOS or Android. No way one of these would support iOS, so there goes half the market
>either a $600 gaming system or a very low build quality phone compared to other phones
>Apple or Android would get the royalties from the games, unless Sony/Nintendo attempted to compete on the iOS level, which clearly ain't happening

"Americans" don't really think like that. Fanboys do, which is only a subset of nerds. Nintendo aren't delaying because they're worried about the opinions of dipshits like that, especially when these people would thing the same thing no matter when they unveiled it.

We actually won't. The Xbox name is now just the brand name for Microsoft's gaming division, since Microsoft no longer needs to defend PC gaming from Sony's intervention. Sony has no clue how to do handheld gaming properly and they rely too heavily on the TV. When the TV becomes irrelevant, so will Sony consoles.

Nintendo is the only company that has successfully waded through the handheld market for the past 25 years, and even that's been somewhat difficult at times.

The N-Gage is really fucking funny in hindsight. Everyone made fun of it at the time, but it predicted the future.

Ah, I see. No wonder they tried to bring Nintendogs to the forefront for the 3DS.

3DS has sold way worse than DS or GBA, and it's only alive in japan

No, those being ports is precisely the point.
I think there's a couple of good mobile-original games, but nothing even remotely to the level of those games. Games like those just don't get made, and most of those ports are cashgrabs; not badly made, but the only reason they exist is to further milk games that already worked.

Besides, many of those are really awkward to play unless you buy a controller, so they are by default inferior experiences. Also FF7 is also available, and DQ 1~6 and 8 too.

>Correlation does not mean causation.
Worthless phrase.
>Mobile devices do not compete with dedicated handheld gaming consoles
Simply not true.
>Also, mobile exploded years before the 3DS was released.
Mobile devices, yes. Mobile gaming? Not really.

>mobile gaming being relevant ever

I don't get how people do it. I HAVE to have buttons on a device to play games on it, this whole generation of mobile devices with nothing but a touchscreen making up the face is annoying as hell. Fuck tablets. Fuck smartphones. They're both shit.

Katuragi and Yamuchi both acknowledged that eventually the cellular phone would overtake handhelds.

Iwata and Shu are dumbfucks are trying to deny their handhelds destiny instead of adapting. Now it's too late and Nintendo moving into the mobile business will look desperate and weak instead of bold.

It has a better library than the GB/C which sold more comparable numbers.

Because you were a faggot and didn't buy pic related. I remember everything feeling like a downgrade after it until I got my first smartphone.

Pretty sensationalist title there OP, Trenton didn't say that.

That being said, I'm waiting on Dragonquest Builders, SD Gundam G generation, Root Letter, Steins;Gate, Digimon vita english release yeah it's coming and a multidude of others games for the Vita.

To me it's been quite a delicious system over the years, it just lacks huge selling big selling ip's like Pokemon but that's fine with me because I own the other systems for those games because I love playing them too.

GAME OVER. RETURN OF NINTENDO.

>Iwata and Shu are dumbfucks are trying to deny their handhelds destiny instead of adapting.
I don't see what's bad about this exactly. Do you WANT Nintendo games to go full mobile? Cause I'd rather them stay on dedicate hardware, even if it becomes less profitable for them.
>Now it's too late and Nintendo moving into the mobile business will look desperate and weak instead of bold.
Who cares if it looks "desperate" instead of bold? What matters is whether it would be profitable or not, and it's not too late for THAT.

Also it's Katsuragi and Yamauchi.

>Worthless phrase.
More people keep dying every year. More people also keep inhaling oxygen every year. Therefore, inhaling oxygen is lethal.

Correlation does not mean causation. Just because two things have a similar trend at the same time does not necessarily mean they are connected.

>Simply not true.
It simply is true.

>Mobile gaming? Not really.
Mobile gaming is nothing more than the current iteration of browser Flash games and Popcap games like Bejeweled from years ago. Mobile devices threw a monkey wrench into the sale of laptops and PCs, not handheld gaming devices.

I wouldnt say they were dumb, going mobile is kind of like going third party, the finances and entire ecosystem and business model for game development gets thrown out the window. From the perspective of an investor it'll seem dumb for them to not have adapted earlier but god bless both of them for sticking it out this long. Mobiles games may make money but fuck mobile gaming, it's utter dog shit and will ultimately if it already hasnt drastically reduce the quality of games in long run so why hate on shu or iwata for trying to maintain that quality for as long as possible?

Considering that mobile market is already explored and oversaturated and we even have Vita selling and having new games, not talking about 3DS.
It's easy to say that handheld consoles are not going anywhere. They'll never reach DS numbers, sure, but they'll not die out.

The problem is that Vita is a shit system with no games.

Nintendo doesn't have a problem being successful with their handheld systems while the PSP and Vita are both notoriously shit, so Sony's problem is that they're retards.

Fanboys would feel betrayed. They already feel betrayed. After the Wii and especially Wii U, shifting to mobile over dedicated would only hurt sales.

Then again, who says they can't have a console, handheld, and mobile games like they're putting into action now.

>Fanboys would feel betrayed. They already feel betrayed. After the Wii and especially Wii U, shifting to mobile over dedicated would only hurt sales.
The kind of fanboys who "would feel betrayed" by such a move is actually a very small minority, but you make it sound like every person who buys Nintendo games thinks and behaves like that.

>Correlation does not mean causation.
Mindlessly parroting a phrase does not prove your point. Water is wet. So what? Prove your point with facts.
>It simply is true.
The demographic that used to be buying (or more accurately, receiving) handheld dedicated game devices are getting smart phones instead.
>Mobile gaming is nothing more than the current iteration of browser Flash games and Popcap games like Bejeweled from years ago.
It's sad that you actually believe that. I don't play games on mobile devices, but you're seriously delusional if you think it's just the "current iteration of browser Flash games".

Different user, but you are retarded and because of your comment on browser games I really think you are underage.

>Mindlessly parroting a phrase does not prove your point. Water is wet. So what? Prove your point with facts.
Not him, but you made the original claim, so you're the one who has to prove his point with facts. He simply stated that you didn't do just that, and assumed that the two events being correlated meant one caused the other.

>that ui

Holy fuck what an absolute cancer

What went wrong?

Wow fuck, I literally had no idea you could just dismiss a simple logical argument like that.

GG bro

I think portable gaming is more or less "dead". Its past its "oh what a neat thing" phase.
When PSP was new, I was psyched, same with nintendo DS. But the lack of any decent games hit me pretty hard and being mainly a PC gamer thats full autism and cant settle on anything else but the latest high end stuff, the graphics in 3D games are just...shit. Irritatingly low framerates, awkward controls, jaggies and general lack of image fidelity just make them unpleasant experiences.
I did enjoy some mystery games on ninteno DS, but never got a 3ds or vita because I knew already that they are shit.

Phonegames are really popular among some people, normies I guess because I dont know a single person who would play mobile games. I have a good smartphone, but I dont have a single game on it because Im not interested in the type of stuff they offer.

Aside from Japan, I just dont see portable gaming to be a very profitable business.
Nintendo should stop fucking around also and stop making the same games every year and do a proper, 3D pokemon on a console thats not full of useless, annoying gimmicks.

Name me 1(ONE) game on ps4 or bone that's original and not just a rehash of anything else.

>Mobile devices, yes. Mobile gaming? Not really.
mobile gaming was big in 03

Tomorrow Children

>2 years
Try 11 months.

never seen it, looks fun in gameplay though. I stand corrected.
3DS is still the best console this gen.

>releasing handheld console
>pay 120€ for sdcards you can get for 15€
>you need it them to play your games
>can´t download games without paying 120€
>real support consist of uncharted, little big planet 4 and weeabo games

YEAH GUYS HANDHELD GAMING IS DEAD, THAT IS WHY THE VITA IS SELLING THAT LESS.

Handhelds are pretty awesome, phones did really destroy some marketshare, but all in all Handhelds are for me better than consoles. Sometimes I just want to chill and play, watching some tv and playing pokemon/grinding and the other shit is really nice.

Sony has this annoying habit of having a succesfull console, getting comfortable, and try to fuck their consumers in the ass with it's next console