Why do so many people misuse the term 'uncanny valley'? We aren't even close to reaching it with video games

Why do so many people misuse the term 'uncanny valley'? We aren't even close to reaching it with video games.

The uncanny valley is when an animated/rendered face is SO close to reality, any minute flaws can seem frightening or disconcerting. Like you're looking at an alien pretending to be human, 95% accurate but something still feels 'off'. Video game character models are not even remotely close to reality, so the term simply falls short here. They're still in the 'cartoon' or 'pixar' valley, if anything.

Pic related is the uncanny valley; EXTREMELY close to reality, but far enough away to creep you out. Nathan Drake in Uncharted 4 is miles and miles away from looking even vaguely photorealistic enough to appear unsettling.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gah8sHA1r_8
youtube.com/watch?v=9h0hVZ3WIs4
youtube.com/watch?v=yxdp0icxcC0
youtube.com/watch?v=8kdjJ1qsL2c
youtube.com/watch?v=Bx6cebSctrc
youtube.com/watch?v=DFPOsnC_ETQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

it's marketing

and pretentious fags like david cage love to see themselves as being the first to go there, or achieve 'crossing the boundary'

Uncanny valley is relative dumbass. Early 2000's cgi movies even caused it.

No, it isn't. We aren't even close to early 2000s CGI yet in video games. When we get there, maybe we can start talking about the 'uncanny valley'.

>No, it isn't. We aren't even close to early 2000s CGI yet in video games
yes we are.

There's literally no evidence the "uncanny valley" even exists. It's a meme.

Retards like using terms to make shit sound epic

Just think of how "The Citizen Kane of X" gets passed around like a used whore

Many games are close to looking real that the elements that look 'off' really stand out.

The faces in oblivion, mass effect and the new fallouts are perfect examples of the uncanny Valley. They just stare blankly at you and barely emote at all. They're very close to being like real people, so close that the things that they fail to imitate stand out.

>They're very close to being like real people

Fuck you

>very close
You may need to see a doctor to unfuckulate your eyes.

They are close in games. Most realistic styles now use 3d scanning for people, so the geometry, albedo & normals are exactly from a human. The static model that produces is already past the uncanny valley. It'll probably have inaccuracies when animating though, and SSS shaders aren't perfect yet either.
But really, the uncanny valley isn't like something CRAZY close to reality, I personally think the idea of the uncanny valley is a bit mislead. Anyone who's a good artist can easily point out what's wrong with something uncanny looking, and fix it. The things that make something uncanny aren't hard to reach at all, it's just that they get amplified when applied to something initially realistic.
Like in your pic, they use photo sources for almost everything, except for the eyes and teeth, and on top of that they're deforming those photos in an unrealistic way, with poor regard to 3 dimensional movement of bones, deformation of skin, muscles, and lighting. So they're taking a photo of a woman, giving her creepy fake eyes and teeth, then moving her around like a bizarre and simplistic puppet. It uses photos which is a realistic source but it's using it in an entirely unrealistic way.
But like I said, good artists can simply avoid that.

so where is this cunny valley?

bitch uncanny valley was always used to describe that odd feel the "being almost real" is just semantics

jesus fuck make it stop

this kinda remind me of Yoda

where's my fucking flamethrower

I wish that were how Siri woked, provided there's eye-tracking so it always stares at the user.

Were the interview scenes in Ace Combat 0 actually real recordings or mo-capped or something?

Something just didn't seem right

On your mom

What is this, an animated face like Miku or an actual robot? My gut says the latter. Also, why are her eyes so red, holy hell.

Explain why that's uncanny

Well duh it's Asian and thus a valid point ,but what else

see
>the blank, vacant expression
>the slightly wrong way that the head moves compared to how a normal human would act and react
Though making it into the uncanny valley is difficult to exactly pinpoint, since it's just the "close to but not quite human" point that makes it so creepy.

It's the former. You can see how her hair warps around.

How long until we achieve photorealism in video games? At this rate it shouldn't be too far comparing PS2-era graphics to modern PC games

Looks more like someone is animating an image rather than a 3d model. as seen by looking at how the hair etc stretches and distorts.

Considering most companies develop mainly for consoles or at least always have consoles in mind too, probably not anytime soon.

That's wrong, you're wrong. Little knowledge, many opinion.

Stupid thread made by stupid person.

>The uncanny valley is when an animated/rendered face is SO close to reality, any minute flaws can seem frightening or disconcerting.
The uncanny valley is not a point. It is a section.

We reached the Uncanny Valley long ago. We simply haven't explored its depths.

>HURRRRRR we don't have duh grafics for duh spoopy man
fucking retards give any shitty 2007 tier graphics human some wonky animations and it will be uncanny. Fucking dickheads don't post again

funny story:that other day I was walking my dog when we encountered a couple sleeping on the ground. I didn't want to wake them so I went to sneak past hem but me dog wouldn't go forwards. She was apparently creeped out by those humans as their behaviour was unusual. In the end she barked at them and woke them up.
I think we animals and obviously all similar have an instinct for when something is off to protect us from traps and whatnot.

the uncanny valley doesn't exist, it's cherry picked data that ignore everything that doesn't match and always chose to validate itself even when other reasons are brought to the subject. It's placebo effects, pure and simple.

why do so many people misuse the term "autism"?

fuck off autist.

Couldn't it just as easily be explained that the uncanny valley is contextual, and that proximity and acclimation shifts it? This makes sense even on a societal level, as graphical standards constantly rise.

The "inhumaness" of certain models initially starts off as subtle, but grows more pronounced as the techniques used to produce them are replicated and you become familiar with them.

>implying any gamer knows shit about this topic
fuck off

Why not just have anime characters in our games? NOW!

Uncanny valley is when person's mouth are wide open and it looks creepy as fuck

I don't even know what cherry picked game that is but I still think mgs2 and twin snakes look good.

Dude, it was on the cover of a magazine advertised as having "good graphics." Maybe you still think MGS2 looks good but your kids will think it looks like hot garbage.

We'll have fleeting photorealism for environments within 4 years. Won't be 100% consistent across the board, but it'll be enough to convince most. Especially at a glance.

Once games are developed specifically for PS4 Pro and Xbox Scorpio, these are the kinds of visuals we'll be seeing:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gah8sHA1r_8
youtube.com/watch?v=9h0hVZ3WIs4
youtube.com/watch?v=yxdp0icxcC0
youtube.com/watch?v=8kdjJ1qsL2c
youtube.com/watch?v=Bx6cebSctrc
youtube.com/watch?v=DFPOsnC_ETQ

As for photorealistic character models, I have no idea. Probably inside of 15 years but not soon.

Also, I'd like to clarify that this assumes 1080p sticks around an extra few years. If developers focus heavily on 1440p+, tack another 6 years onto both predictions.

Sure it exists, but it's not some special psychological effect, it's just a normal reaction to potential danger. A constructed image that ALMOST, but not quite, flawlessly recreates the original scares you because you think "shit, I caught it this time, but it wasn't easy. What if I slip up, or get lazy, or it fixes the flaws? Then I won't know if I can trust what I'm seeing". That's all the uncanny valley is.

This could be true because the uncanny valley doesn't really have an effect on me, possibly because I'm not afraid of "fake" humans. What's the worst they could do? It's not like the movies where they can superjump or anything, they'll just jankily walk at you and you push them down.

YOU ARE BECOMING HYSTERICAL

Do you even play video games?

Lol wtf is that? Nigga look like Kurt Cobain in the afterlife post-shotgun.

We are making robots for war, right now. It's starting with drones and little RC cars that can jump 10 feet and traverse battlefields/minefields/occupied buildings, but we're building up to something much greater and terrifying.

She's stoned as fuck.

I saw a humanoid robot in Japan, it was fucking terrifying.

She is watching you
Always watching
KINECT!

This. Uncanny valley in vidya is not about how close to photorealiatic the graphics are. You will get uncanny feeling if, for example, a human npc will glitch out and have a weird mangled body, or animation. Or the face is stretched beyond reason. Or the friggin black gums of Source engine facial animations.

The only thing about this image that creeps me out is that mouth and chin. Shieeeet

Hey, when Source worked, it worked well. That shit crossed the uncanny valley in 2004 so long as you didn't literally walk right up to Alyx and zoom in to her eyeball.

It's all about animation and movement.