NMS is a great example of how video games can be art

This is my honest and true opinion on NMS, not based on anyone else's thoughts or feelings on the game.

No Man's Sky is art. It is an almost perfect example of how video games can be art. For a long time now, many gamers, and the community and industry in general, have been trying to prove that video games are art just as much as film and other mediums. From games like Minecraft and Journey to games like The Legend of Zelda and The Last of Us, many examples are considered as art by many people. Maybe it's because not every video game can be considered as art that the whole medium is still not necessarily considered to be art. (I certainly wouldn't put the recent gore-fest that is Doom under the category of art). But I think NMS is a great example of how video games can be art. Yes, gameplay-wise it fell completely short of what was promised and marketing was inarguably a disaster, but that's besides my point. In terms of art having the ability to be an interactive thing through the medium of video games, I think No Man's Sky should be remembered for this. It's beautiful! That seems to be something most people can agree on. I know a lot of people find it repetitive, but after dozens of hours exploring the universe I still enjoy finding unique and interesting animals and amazing landscapes. I keep finding new variations that I haven't come across before. But it's not just the beauty that makes it art. It's the general idea of NMS and it's relation to our real life universe and the deeper messages that the game conveys as well that make it art.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SUXyoyuJZ8Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I also want to say that what happens at center of the galaxy is exactly what I expected. It became pretty apparent to me from the beginning that the game often presents the message and idea that it's not about the destination, it's about the journey getting there. What happens at the center completely validates and almost literally completes that message. I know that explanation isn't necessarily going to make people happier about it, but it makes perfect sense to me.

My point is not to undermine any of the negativity this game is getting. It is deserved. Gameplay-wise it does fall flat for a video game which is, rather inarguably, the most important part of every video game. So as a video game, maybe it sucks to you, but as art, does it really suck just as much? I just wanted to share my perspective and the positive viewpoint that I still have on this game. I love and appreciate this game for what it is.

(Sorry if you feel the need to sage or leave a nasty comment! If you do it's for no other reason than the fact that you're mad that I don't share your negative opinion on the game. I'd say beyond that the argument is completely subjective because the idea of video games as art is subjective. Art in general is subjective.)

I'm a video games are/can be art fag too OP.

But NMS? Nah.

ok

Yes because art is often overpriced

tl;dr , NMS is shit

Great blog where can I like and subscribe?

I want to play a video game not spend an unnecessary amount of money to put it on my screen and look at it like art.

To all the newfags -- This is copypasta stop taking it so serious.

>0.0001 USD has been deposited into your account
>Thanks from Hello Games™

LOL

The effort people put into shitposting truly surprises me sometimes.

To the No Man's Sky™ Haters...

You.

Yes, you. The one screaming, "There's no multiplayer!" and "Sean Murray™ lied to us!" and other slurs I dare not mention.

Tread lightly.

You are one. We are hundreds, thousands. Millions. You aren't just IN the minority; you ARE the minority.

I don't feel awkward or anxious playing No Man's Sky™ around others, and your words don't affect me. Many others, however, are coming out of their shells for the first time in their lives. This is the first time many are enjoying the beautiful world that has been procedurally generated for us - and it IS beautiful. Incredibly so. DON'T ruin this for them. We No Man's Sky™ fans may have our differences, but we will not hesitate to come to the aid of our fellow explorers, especially against someone who so virulently slurs that which has brought us all together.

Don't take this the wrong way. I don't hate you. I don't fear you.

I pity you.

I'm sorry that you feel this way towards us. I'm sorry that No Man's Sky™ is such a bane to your existence. And I'm sorry that you are missing out on such a wonderful experience. Mostly, though, I'm sorry that you feel the need to go around and publicly chastise and berate others. I'm sorry that, to ensure your own validity, you need to make others feel invalid. I'm sorry that your self-worth is so infinitesimally miniscule that you have to make others feel less-than-human, at least in your own denatured mind, just to feel whole. I am truly sorry that day-in and day-out you have to put up with your worthless, meaningless, Shakespearean tragedy of a life.

I ask you politely to cease your unnecessary cries for attention, and instead invite you to join our ranks. Uninstall Call of Duty™, start up No Man's Sky™, and breathe in the splendour and the amazement of your first planet, and then, maybe, just maybe, you'll see what you've been so hopelessly searching for this whole time.

So basically NMS is the guy at the bottom left?

>paste post into google
>get reddit results
everytime

Yeah, the art of of broken promises, boredom upon reveal and controlling people.

Video games are an artistic medium, no matter what autists say.

From fucking Pong to the new Doom. It's art. Just a different, interactive medium of art.

Just like all forms, you have pop art, abstract art, realistic art, etc etc.

Then you have shameless cash grabs. So yes, NMS is art, simply because it falls into an artistic medium. It's also a sad cash grab with no bite to it, and what it does decent plenty of games have done better. They sometimes even have actual game play.

It was also an artfully pulled scam. Sean played so many people like a champion.

Is it taken from a gaming site or was it just a shitpost? It reads like a fucking Polygon article, which is pretty telling about their standards.

>No Man's Sky
>had a lot of hype
>makes you think there will be gameplay but after the first hour you realize there's almost nothing to do except the same few repetitive tasks
>lots of dialog with NPCs that don't actually affect anything
>pretty vistas that you eventually realize are a lot of fakery and bad coding
>has a nothing ending that leaves you feeling empty, unfulfilled and ripped off
>lots of wasted potential

>Firewatch
>see above

LOL

>fags
Homophobia is so funny guys! Kys.

>Firewatch
Reminder that Firewatch is getting a movie. It will probably be a better movie than it ever was a game.

I didn't hate it, concept wise. Although I just watched the gameplay, since it's a fucking walking sim. It was decently written and I understood what they were going for. The demo making it seem like Aliums or gubment shit was really misleading and I found it a bit shady.

Although, really, went it's all said and done the whole story can be boiled down into "everything interesting about this was all in your and the character's heads! LOL"

It was a very... "human" story. Which doesn't make for a good """game""".

>Kys.
Wow, suicide isn't funny. How dare you tell someone that? Do you have any idea how hard suicide is for those it impacts.

Ugh. Disgusting. Get help.

Honestly, truer words have never been spoken. Sean truly is a visionary.

I think videogames are obviously art. It has all the trappings of the arts. Music, literature, storylines, textures and scenery all of which require artistic creative skill. If any of these parts on their own are art then putting them all together into an immersive dynamic experience doesn't negate its status as art. So, yea I think NMS is art even though I think the game is painfully boring and repetitive. I also think DOOM is art, even though it's gory. Being gory doesn't mean something can't be art (Perseus with the Head of Medusa is still art despite being gory)

youtube.com/watch?v=SUXyoyuJZ8Y

>The Last of Us

Stopped reading there.