Metroid Prime 2 is objectively the best Metroid. Fite me

Metroid Prime 2 is objectively the best Metroid. Fite me.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YO-x7j5RyGc
youtu.be/kRnyb0Aq_jw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>Prime
>best Metroid

Nah it's shit

Prime 1-2 and Super

ALL SO FUCKING GOOD
I couldn't care less which one was the best

don't like the other games anywhere near as much

Prime 2 is objectively inferior to Prime 1 in every way. Boring, uninspired shit.

It's a bit bland, and beam ammunition is just silly.

>Has more backtracking than any other game in the series
>Objectively the best

>in every way
>bosses
>challenge
>items
>music
>interface

Yes, Prime 1 is better than Prime 2 in all of those categories.

I felt there was more backtracking in 1 than 2, I go through that damn pirate base in phendrana like 4 times each playthroufh

Also
>complaining about backtracking in metroid

For every great boss in Prime 2 there's a really shitty one. Prime 1 never went to really shitty.
>Music
No, but your opinion is repectable

I played Metroid Prime before Super Metroid

I really think Metroid Prime is boring, I don't know how people like it so much. I get tired just thinking about it.

Super Metroid on the other hand was incredible.

Well that's your own damn fault for going through it four times when you only need to go there twice
I mean backtracking that's required to finish the game. The temple keys are 100x worse than the artifacts

Garbage tast

I don't remember a single bad boss in prime 2

I also played Prime before Super and honestly my opinion is the exact opposite. Prime is my favorite game of all time but I couldn't even finish Super for how much it bored me.

>Alpha Blogg
>Spider Guardian

Spider Guardian is fine as a casual filter

Why would I fight you for being right?

spider guardian is shit but whats wrong with alpha blogg?

I can't fight you since you are right.

My only complaint that while the 3 main locations are all great in their own right, their dark world versions are extremely samey.

That is the correct opinion.

I'll give you alpha blogg having too much health but the fight itself isn't bad

Spider guardian is great, git gud

Boring slogg of a boss fight that's really easy to die to because of the garbage underwater controls without the gravity suit and IIRC the last save point was quite a way from the boss

>backtracking
What is this, 2004 era G4? Get out of here with that meme.

Holy shit the amount of shit taste here

This user gets it

The save point is literally a room behind the boss on top of the portal

Prime 1 > Fusion > Zero Mission > Super > Prime 2 > AM2R > the rest

>mfw fighting the Alpha Blogg on Hard.

Alright but the rest of my points still stand

That's a lie, the save point is a good 10 minutes from the boss. I should know, that's the reason it took me half a year to go back and beat it.

I play the prime trilogy annually, trust me when I tell you there is a save point right before him. Feel free to look it up

weird

Honestly, the ONLY gripe I have with this game is the light suit
Seriously, for all the game you get upgrades that attach to your armor visibly, like that water jet, and the ball upgrades.
Then that fucker comes along and wipes it all clean, with a shitty design to boot.

Did you miss the part where I said I was stuck on that specific part of the game for six months? I know what I'm talking about. Go back there, it's literally in the first room of the area. You have to go all the way down to the bottom through water to get to the alpha bogg and it takes fucking forever.

Why doesn't anyone like Prime 3?

It's everyone's second favorite, nobody likes Prime 1 AND Prime 2.

what if I like all 3?

Kill yourself to be honest family

How could one man be so wrong?

don't worry, I'm not wrong.

who the fuck has a Wii?

Me
You
Millions

Echoes has the best aesthetic.

I don't.

Made by a different team than the first two games
Can't select beam types so have to listen to Magma Beam for half the game
Not as nonlinear as previous two games
Disappointing final boss

I could go on but those are the big ones.

I'm not going to since even though I prefer Prime and Super, Prime 2 is really fucking good.

I'm up for beating the shit out of the cunt who likes Other M though.

I just beat Prime 2 for the first time. It wasn't as good as Prime 1.

The overworld wasn't structured as well which makes the backtracking feel much more obvious. I think the biggest problem is that the two items you need to backtrack to get are placed in a way that it really annoying to go back to them. You basically get to a door that needs the item, get stuck, and then have to go back through all the rooms and elevators you came from to find the right power-up, even though there's a bunch of possible item gates you can check which just lead to missile expansions, energy tanks, or flying ing caches that you can't access until the end of the game. I don't remember the Space Jump Boots and the Ice Beam in the first Prime game being nearly as annoying.

Prime 2 also has tons of bosses that feel like huge slogs. They have short vulnerability periods with long cycles, so they take forever. But they're not a challenge because every boss also drops ridiculous amounts of health constantly. Then for the four guardians, beating the boss locks the area and requires going through two slow transitions cutscenes and then another cutscene, and then you have to backtrack to the start of the game to watch another cutscene instead of just getting on with it and going to the next area. It's not that big of a deal but it is slightly irritating and there's no reason for it.

Finally the Sky Temple key hunt was really unpleasant. It's not built like the artifact hunt which you can complete throughout the game if you're thorough, more than half of the keys are straight up blocked off until you get the Light Suit. I like to get everything possible at any given moment so in Prime 1, my artifact back track is like two rooms. In Prime 2, it didn't matter that I took the time to explore the dead-ends of the unconnected Dark World, I still needed to go back to all of those dead-ends with the Light Suit to finish the game. I have no idea why they designed it like that.

>backtracking is bad
>in a Metroid game
Someone please explain me this meme. Isn't backtracking the whole fucking point in Metroid games?

Respectfully disagree, but damn that game is good.

I like optional backtracking and shortcuts. I don't like going back through the exact same rooms twice and having to watch the same elevator cutscene loading screens to get an item I need to progress.

TOP TIER
Prime
Super

HIGH TIER
Prime 2

GOOD TIER
Prime 3
Fusion
Zero Mission

OKAY TIER
Hunters (single player only)

WHY BOTHER PLAYING TIER
Metroid 1
Metroid 2

Haven't player FF or MOM, but I assume they will be bottom tier.

Prime 2 is when the novelty wore off.

Zero Mission should at least be high tier.

I would put Zero Mission and Fusion in high tier, then put AM2R in good tier

Metroid Prime is great up until you actually have to interact with things.

Correct

But also correct

These guys get it, but AM2R dethroned them all because playing that game on release day with Cred Forums was the most fun I've ever had on this stupid board

I like 1 better and also prefer 2D in general.

What makes 2 better than 1? Anybody?

> Play this on emu
> Try an infinite beam ammo cheat
> Spam Annihilator shots
> Kill everything in seconds

I didn't realize how powerful it was until I did that.

>No control configuration option
It's functional and all, but I think it's one of the main flaws from the Prime series.
>Boring level design
It felt like everything was brown or gray. Prime had more contrast between the areas.
>two world bullshit
I don't have anything against this kind of design, but there were barely any puzzles that exploited this; at the end it felt lazy.
>half assed multiplayer
Should have just made the single player campaign bigger
>game ending glitches
No excuse for this shit

On the other hand:
>great boss battles
some of them go for too long, but most of them are really great
>great music
as the series in general
>overall difficulty
probably one of the hardest entries in the series, nothing feels cheap

Overall, it feels more like an expansion from the first Prime and Retro did well considering it was a rushed sequel.

Better bosses I guess.

That's not how I remember it.

From the main Hydrodynamo shaft, there's a save point at the top. There are 3 scan poles, each on a platform that can only be reached by entering from the door behind it. Reaching the doors requires you to work your way around the rooms that ring Hydrodynamo Shaft.

Once you scan the 3 poles, the structure in the middle raises and uncovers the door down to the Gravity Boost. Once this happens, you lose access to the Morph Ball cannon that takes you back up to the save point.

There's no save point through the portal down there. That leads to the Power Bomb Guardian.

If you want to save before the fight, you have to use the Hydrodynamo Shaft save point before you go around and scan the third pole.

You can call it the best Prime if you want, I'm not in to the Prime series, but you can go fuck your self on calling it the best Metroid when the 2D games exist.

The least stinky pile of shit is still a pile of shit

>That leads to the Power Bomb Guardian.
Alpha Blogg acutally.

The simple solution to this is to scan the third pole, which is in the same room and very quick to reach, last.

The Space Jump Boots should be ridiculous, but they're not, for some reason.

Think about it. You make planetfall, explore, spend some time in the Ruins getting your stuff back, then start a long journey through both Magmoor and Phendrana for ONE powerup, then you have to go all the way back to the beginning of the game.

>Not getting Space Jump first
casual scum

I never really got the complaints about beam ammo in Prime 2. Once you have one or two beam ammo expansions you've got more than enough ammo supply to get past more or less anything, and getting more ammo is so easy once you figure out that you can just shoot item containers in the environment with the opposite beam to get more. Even if you entirely ran out of ammo you could charge your weapon to fire a weak shot if you needed to solve a puzzle or open a door. The real fault with Prime 2's weapons was that the Annhilator beam, despite the fact that it was supposed to be the game's ultimate weapon, felt kind of underwhelming. There was no situation where the Light Beam or Dark Beam couldn't outperform it, plus it was visually unexciting too, so it really just felt like a puzzle solving tool and nothing else.

Even though Prime 2 has more backtracking I enjoy it more because the visual design of the game, as well as its soundtrack, were just so good. The light world was just so often this picture of crumbling grandeur and beauty, while the dark world was alien and hostile yet familiar to the light world in many ways. The main bosses were all amazing (even though some minor bosses like the power bomb guardian, the boost guardian, and that rat bastard spider guardian were all obnoxious shit) and Dark Samus encounters were always thrilling whenever they happened.

Still, while I enjoyed Prime 2 a lot I don't want to get into a pissing match with people about whether Prime 1 was better, they're both incredible, incredible games. Sadly I never owned a Wii and never got to play Prime 3, so I can't comment on that.

No, the Dark Aether portal. It leads to Power Bomb Guardian's room.

Scanning the first pole last works? Wish I'd thought of that.

Both are good, but while prime 2 has some amazing moments, it also has an objectively worse design in certain areas.

>Different areas are not organically integrated, it is one central hub and three different areas only connected to the center hub. Area is solved to completion before next area can be accessed. Unlike prime's interconnected world that requires you to go through the different area at different times and creates a variety of backgrounds.
>Visuals in prime 2 are blander, central hub is a wasteland, area 1 is another brown wasteland, area 2 is a swamp with more brown wasteland outside the swamp area, area 3 is impressive though and the highlight of the game. Dark Aether also makes the areas all look similar by sharing the visuals all throughout the world. Compre this to prime 1's varied levels of forest, lava, snow, ruins, and water.
>Dark Aether forces gameplay to slow down to wait for life to recharge. It slows the game to a crawl and makes those sections tedious.
>Upgrades in Prime 2 are glorified door openers. unlike Prime 1 where the upgrades' use is more organically intergrated into the world and are not only used to open a new colord door.

Total lack of sequence breaks that aren't shitty glitches.

All items act as keys to hard locks.

In Super you don't even need every item to beat the game, let alone get past most obstacles.

For this reason, Super is the best game.

>it's a "Metroidbabby gets triggered over Prime" episode

Immediately after scanning the three poles you have to fight Blogg. Power Bomb Guardian isn't until way later in the game.

I hate to admit it, but I think part of the reason is that Prime gave you the space jump hint pretty much immediately. I had no idea where the fuck I was supposed to go after Boost Guardian.

Lord ACfag think it's movie-ish

>Not using the randomizer to make the game harder
You're both casuals.

I used the randomiser like 5 times and each time was an unwinnable game.

Even with the chance of it being unwinnable it's pretty fun, it really tests your skills on the game.

I was bored by the visual design of the game world, it felt so monotonous at times and you really didn't see any visual shift from area to area, everything was destroyed concrete with either sand or water covering it, the only difference was the Sanctuary. The Dark Aether looked the same on every level.

It's also weird, I consider the morph ball bosses the best and most imaginative.

I was replying to this:

I'm not saying that you fight PBG. I'm saying that there's no save point in there. Go through the portal, and all you'll find are two yellow doors.

That's true, but there's one fairly close at the top of Hydrodynamo.

Not with that shitty ending sequence.

I'm playing through prime 2 right now. I definitely like how more alive aether is than Tallon and the areas are more interesting. Going in between aether and dark aether gets mildly annoying, but so was Magmoor caverns. I'm not sure if dark aether gets better in later levels, only just reached torvus bog.

Zero Suit section is fine if you're not a faggot. Power Bomb is weak as fuck though.

Did you play the original Gamecube version or the Trilogy rerelease on Wii / Wii U? I hear some of those bosses were rebalanced for that, before that they were beyond obnoxious.

Sanctuary fortress is way better.

>Fite me.
Why? You're 100% correct.

>Zero Suit section is fine if you're not a faggot
yeah, right after you get your Legendary Power Sui t and face a Mecha Ridley

Stealth sections are trash and boring, m8

Zero Suit section is tedious garbage with noticeably worse map design and two utterly shit bosses.

>with noticeably worse map design
this is how you spot someone who can't wall jump for shit

dark aether was honestly both to long and to easy

it should have been sections you have to prepare for, make it feel like you're entering a truly hostile environment but keep it limited to short jaunts especially early on.
And once you're in you're going to try and get out as soon as possible, not because its annoying but because its fucking dangerous to be there: constant damage, significantly more difficult enemies and perhaps even have nothing drop health regens.

Not that guy, but I played Trilogy.

Apparently the Boost Guardian in particular was a lot harder? I remember being confused in that fight at first, but there were tons of health drops.

sanctuary fortress was god tier because it was a remnant of the vastly more ambitious original idea for prime 2
torvus bog and especially the agon wastes feel like afterthoughts

>Zero Suit section is fine if you're not a faggot.
>liking the godawful steath sections
only Fusion did it right

also daily reminder:
youtube.com/watch?v=YO-x7j5RyGc

I have the gamecube version. I think the main problem with the spider guardian is the over responsive (if you could call it that) morph ball control, but if you get the grip of it, the battle is very fun, instead of tedious.

The boost guardian just goes for too long, overall I enjoy the phases of the battle.

>artificially closing off areas with dark zone bullshit
>extensive backtracking
>beam ammo
>boring ass zones, a fucking swamp level.

s m h f a m

Okay, user.

compared to the original version the trilogy boost guardian has less health, deals only half the damage it normally did, was slower and dropped significantly more health

Whoever thought "wastes" and "bog" sounded like good level concepts should've been fired immediately.

given the theme of decline present throughout the entire game they're perfectly fine
the execution just wasn't that great but there was nothing wrong with the concepts

The bosses were also named after items
>boost guardian
>spider guardian
The game was rushed

well yeh, they had 9 months to make the game and still delivered a fairly high quality experience

imagine if they had 2 years

Didn't they also have proper names in the demo?

Yeah, I enjoyed it. I think of it like an old school expansion pack rather than a full sequel.

Torvus Bog has the best music and prettiest visuals in MP2 (I am referring to the bog part, not underwater).

Sanctuary was more fun though.

Who /metroid metal/ here?

youtu.be/kRnyb0Aq_jw

>not enjoying the Lower Brinstar remix

This takes me back.

Did people really have that hard a time against Boost Guardian? It's been years since I've last played MP2 but I don't recall really struggling against the thing.

Me nether. Heard it got nerfed in the rerelease. Wonder why.

I don't get it either.

All it does is shoot light beams at you, boost around the room, and creep towards you slowly in puddle form. It's barely a threat, you just have to manage your health with Inglets attacking you and the atmosphere damage.

The boost does a lot of damage and as far as I remember the bounces don't have a defined pattern.

>100 million sales
well almost that many people has/had one

I'll never understand the struggle against it, that & the Spider Ball one, they were the right amount of challenge for me which was fun, especially on Hard mode. I was kind of disappointed to hear/play the Trilogy version with it being nerfed.

When it boost at you it does a full bar of damage.

Considering the amount of times it uses boost ball at you and the amount of energy tanks you should have picked up you'd be dead within 5 hits not to mention the dark aether eating you're asshole away and inglets shooting cum up you're ass.

It's tough.

Touching the puddle actually deals more damage than getting hit by the boost.

The boost did have a pattern. It'd always bounce around in a triangular path.

it didn't, not in the original version that is

The director of development couldn't beat it without going to the debug mode.

>early boss, so there aren't many upgrades available
>the arena is in dark aether, there are no light zones available, energy always goes down
>when in boost ball mode, a hit drains you half the bar (dark suit on)
>the boost attack is hard to avoid, as it doesn't have an initial pattern and can quickly change its direction by recharging
>you can't harm the boss during that phase which makes the battle longer

I really enjoy that battle, but it's perfectly understandable that some people consider it a hard task, especially people new to the franchise.

>tfw beat boost guardian on hardest difficulty with no dark suit

it took me days

It got nerfed in later releases of the game, which may be why.

It's hard because it does a full bar of damage with its attack, you only have your normal suit during the fight, and you are constantly taking damage since there is no safe zone.

In my experience too, one of the best strategies is to use power bombs against him, which I think isn't something that a lot of people will try.

You're not supposed to have power bombs during the fight. One will kill hum instantly though.

My bad, I just meant normal bombs.

You have to use normal bombs to unpuddle him. Which confused the hell out of me the first time because nothing indicates that.

I only realized it because the fight had a unique morph ball camera.

you can manually aim and light beam him out of puddle mode as well

honestly boost guardian was a fantastic design for an optional boss
should have had more of those and had them all be boost guardian+ levels of difficulty

Instead all you get is Dark Missile Trooper. The most pointless use of a boss health bar ever.

why does it lag so much on dolphin?
and i played it for about 1-2 hours and got bored. its so babby casul and linear. so no thx

oh yeh, that thing existed

seriously what was up with that