ITT: Flawed Masterpieces

ITT: Flawed Masterpieces

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=a_gEATNuTRo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Nier is really great while you're experiencing it, but looking back on it I can't help but feel like the whole thing is a bit cheap somehow. It's like Yoko Taro and his staff thought up an entire setting for the sole purpose of being able to make so you are the demons all along.

I actually never got the " you were the bad guy all along" message when playing the game. I never felt judged by the game for what I did. To me it felt like the game just presented the tragic truth to everything that happened and making you realize how often shit like that happens in the real world.
I can see however how people can get put off by it. It's all about how well the game was able to resonate with someone.

every persona and neptunia
you cock sucker faggot with no taste

Kingdom Hearts

What's wrong with it?
Having played it but considered picking it up.
Then I heard it's bad but without any details.

+ Best armour design I've ever seen.
+ Staggeringly beautiful graphics.
+ Visceral, intense combat.
+ Dark fantasy atmosphere.
+ Interesting and badass enemy design.
+ Sick looking weapons.
+ Intriguing world lore.
+ Good sound effects.
+ Attainable achievements.
+ Fantastic main character.
+ Morally ambiguous dialogue (no Mass Effect style good/evil bullshit).
+ Deep story that takes multiple playthroughs to digest.
+ Has New Game ++ (that's the limit, though).
+ Secrets are hard to find.
+ Interesting non-player characters.
+ Sidequests aren't tracked.
+ Game doesn't hold your hand.
+ Good voice acting.
+ Multiple endings.
+ Great object destruction physics.

- Some horrible bugs.
- Spelling errors galore.
- Music isn't the greatest.
- Lacks polish.
- Some optimization issues (overblown, though).
- Difficulty level is inconsistent.
- Some blood, but no real gore.
- Goofy corpse physics.

+/- Attack animations are on the slow side.
+/- Weighty movement system.

DaS1

Homefront is very definition of "play for the story" done (relatievely) right.
The gameplay was pretty shallow, the characters weren't very memorable, but the atmosphere made it leave strong mark on you.
You could think that nothing in vidya is going to scary you anymore but hiding in pile of corpses is still giving me chills.

New Vegas

STALKER series

I liked the first one as well, but I was talking about Homefront: The Revolution.

It'd be a masterpiece if it wasn't buggy as fuck.

The multiplayer is dope as hell, too. Tiny community, though.

They made a fantastic game despite a beyond fucked up development cycle. Speaks volumes about their talent.

What do you think are its flaws? Fast travel was kind of fixed with Dark Arisen but it's still not good, what else is wrong with it? Not saying it isn't flawed, I just don't remember enough to complain about.

Such. Bad. Dialogue.

Had to quit playing.

I'm not the guy you were replying to, though.

Warrior getting only 3 skill slots was a bit baffling. Otherwise, I love it.

The thing about the game is that both Nier and the Shadowlord had the exact same motivation, to save Yonah, but they had mutually exclusive methods of doing it. I think the game is about how important it is to try and negotiate before letting things escalate to violence.

Different guy
>Silly romance system
>Hydra Head delivery quest
Other than this, DD:DA is one my favorite games of all time.

Example? I never encountered any "omg terrible dialogue" in the game at all.

Changing the OP in Dark Arisen.

Really? It's been a minute, but I remember quitting due to garbage dialogue. Cringy as fuck.

Buying chink games is such a gamble.

Also about how it was influenced by 9/11. Taro realized that "you don't have to be insane to kill someone, you just have to think you're right".

Genuinely one of the best games I've ever played.

The flaw being absolutely everything besides the story.

Deadly Premonition

Homefront is the very definition of forgettable.
I played and beat the first game several years ago and I could not tell you anything about it.

MASTERWORKS ALL, YOU CAN'T GO WRONG

>the soundtrack is a flaw
n-nani?

>difficulty is a joke even if you go out of your way to avoid the Shield Rod and Crissaegrim
>hallways upon hallways of repeated enemies
>second half of the game is literally the first but upside down
>your inventory is a mess of items and weapons you'll never use
>using an item is a hassle
>localization quality is all over the place
And you know what? I still wouldn't hesitate to call it one of my favorite games ever.

I love the atmosphere and story of this game but the actual shooting/survival horror parts are such bullshit. Those wall crawlers are so easy but take so long to kill its insane. There's too many problems to call it a masterpiece, its still a great game though.

I don't know, the graphics and gameplay aren't particularly great or anything but it's not like they're downright bad or anything. And I sincerely hope you momentarily forgot how top tier the music and voice acting are.

The biggest problems I had with Nier were the third and fourth playthroughs adding absolutely nothing besides the C and D endings, lack of attack variety until halfway through, and 100%ing the game being a royal pain in the ass.

bump

Timesplitters: Future Perfect.

Chalice dungeons
Orphan is literally impossible

I think I recall an interview with destruction where Swerty said the combat was sort of tacked on well into development at the behest of the publisher. It would make sense.

Ohhh. It's ya boi.
Allen Walker. My nigga. Ain't seen you in a while.
Also is this actually good because may play?

Yeah I heard that initially it was going to be an entirely narrative driven game, but the story sounded vaguely like a survival horror so the publishers told them to make it one because that was the trend at the time.

On the one hand it wouldn't be such a cult classic now if it didn't have the shitty bits, but on the other fuck those raincoat killer QTEs

Xenogears is probably THE flawed masterpiece. Such a fantastic unfinished fucking game.

Pretty much. If you think the game was telling you "you were the bad guy all along" you just missed the point of the story. There is no good and evil, just conflicts of interests and intolerance, just like in real life

I don't consider Nier a flawed masterpiece though. It's just a masterpiece.

Flawed: yes
Masterpiece: objectively in literally every regard: no
just because PS4 has one not-shit game doesn't mean its the best game ever

Hmmmm

Didn't they fix most of the bugs or something? I think someone ann was actually saying how impressed he was that they managed to fix it

wew lad. nice gaem promotion. do you get payed for promoting shitty gaems??

hell yahhhh!

Gameplay is really flawed, battles get monotonous
Barely any side content and you have to visit each dungeon twice over the course of the game

However, I find the story to be better than your average Tales, characters and their interactions are great, atmosphere and setting outclasses any other Tales have

And of course, OST is considered the best in the series even by the people that hate the game
You have Go Shiina to thank for that

youtube.com/watch?v=a_gEATNuTRo

I love Allen Walker

It's easy to hate on Tim Schafer these days, and for good reason, and this game probably doesn't need a sequel, and it took so much time and money to make the first one it killed Majesco.

But it is a masterpiece in almost every way except for having maybe too much useless stuff to collect.

TW1 is the one game i would consider a flawed masterpiece

Calling it a masterpiece doesn't mean it's being called the greatest game ever, you fucking retard. Also, you haven't even played the game, deluded PCuck.

Perfect post

flawed? NIER was garbage

Hell yeah. Great taste.

It was never about you the bad guy, because that's not about what the game is about. It's about how things aren't really black and white and how everything depends on your PoV.

Gameplay was average at worst.