How is this game still better than any RPG in the last 16 years?

How is this game still better than any RPG in the last 16 years?

voice acting

It's good but you clearly forgot 2 games

Simpler times plus a hard-working crew not guided by greed equals magic.

Love and care and tons of content.

There plenty of RPGs that are better:
Arcanum Of Steamworks And Magick Obscura
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Dark Messiah of Might and Magic
Gothic 1&2
Fallout 3 & NV
Neverwinter Nights 1&2
TES 3&4
Well I guess there aren't many others huh.

I watched Noah Caldwell-Gervais' defence of the BG games yesterday and realized why I like them so much better than other RPG's.

Nowhere near on the same level though.

>any of those
>better than BG2
Ayyy.

Because dialog options and athmospere.

Man I can't tell how much time I spend on this game, its just amazing

I think Gothic 2 and especially 1 are more enjoyable on a general level since you don't need to go either full autistic or full cheese to actually clear the game

because it isnt. It a shit game for shitty nostalgia fagnuts

you tell em bro

Hey you preorder the new Skyrim remaster yet?

good troll tho

of course i have

The combat in Gothic is hella hard, which is why it has a following today, but the design and writing are less impressive than in BG.

Only gothic and morrowind come close.

The simple fact that you don't have to manage a whole party makes those games(except nwn ofc) more immersive imo. not to mention the better mechanics and atmoshpere.
The only things that BG can be said to be better is dialogue quality and characters.
no

Ever since NV was hailed as the new saviour of RPG's, nothing about the fandom surprises me anymore. How anyone could see worth in that game is beyond me.

Don't look at me, I'm a gameplay guy, I enjoyed 3 more.

I think the german version of Gothic has some of the most genuinely charming and funny dialogue ever written

It came at a sweet spot for CRPG's where the market was big enough to justify making a huge game with the backing of the biggest company in the pen and paper market but without the expensive overhead of fully 3D environments and completely voice acted characters, was headed by people who understood the genre (and were doctors to boot) in an engine they had worked with previously, and was made with all the mistakes of BG1 noticed and learned from; as a sequel it got to use high level DnD combat which translates better into a PC game, added more depth to the characters and quests and trimmed the fat of expansive forest maps with two minor quests a piece.

It was a perfect storm of events that only happens once or twice ever.

>Fallout 3
>NWN campaigns
>Oblivion
fucking kill yourself

it's not. it has 4/10 writing like every bioware title ever made
>I'm a gameplay guy, I enjoyed 3 more.
best troll I've ever seen

only if you are a cock loving, contrarian posting, nostalgia faggot. which everyone here is. clearly.

I love RPG guys.
I know it's difficult to accept that other people (who aren't you) can be different but there is a sizeable portion of the cRPG fandom that got attached to the RPG genre for it's mechanical complexity and not for the dialogue and story writing quality. If you played BG then you must remember how, back in the day, it was quite difficult to find games with complex gameplay because of the hardware limitations so crpgs were the best thing available until games like thef and deus ex appeared.

Low level combat and wandering the forests were honestly the best parts of BG and the reason why it stands out for me. People are able to understand this authentic RPG feel less and less as they get used to cartoony characters, linear but lavish environments and being able to cast powerful spells. BG is as low as low fantasy gets, and it's also an old school CRPG in the sense that it's pre-WoW and thus doesn't feature hundreds of lazy, condescending fetch quests.

nice shit taste
only bloodlines is remotely comparable and not really on par

I'm too lazy for it, the gameplay is too complicated and there's just too much to do.

the thing about baldurs gate is that you're basically just taking one of those choose your own adventure books and turning it into a full fledged game.

The bulk of what you really do in the game is read for 80 hours, but the amazing thing is just how the game is built to adjust itself to your every single action.

And man when the game has a response for every single one of your actions it starts to feel fucking magical.

>so crpgs were the best thing available until games like thef and deus ex appeared.
both of which came out well before BGII

True but that style of game also died soon after with very few fps-rpgs with enough complexity being made, especially post 2000.

Recommend me some good mods for Baldurs Gate 2 EE, especially ones affecting sorcerer.

We can thank the enhanced edition for that, it really updates the experience to keep it relevant in the modern age

>BG
>writing
toppest of keks