Which Civ game is best Civ game...

Which Civ game is best Civ game? Been playing Civ 5 lately and while it's fun for a few runs it turns out to not have much in the way of drastically changing gameplay. Like some depth to a domination victory. Such as adding a combat engineer to take resources back to your civ from another civ, The tech tree requires just researching most of it every game. Which civ game or strategy game in general has a little more depth? Turn based would be preferred. I'm not fast enough to figure shit out in an rts.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MK2X3IxUfLY
youtube.com/watch?v=v2L5g_dF3WE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

6 is the best

Fucking todd howard of the civ franchise over here

alpha centauri

IV

anything else is wrong

III obviously

Civ 6 after they add two more eras.

Civ 2

Civ 5 is good if you want to play somewhat fast-paced stuff and don't want to get too much depth.
Civ 4 is de-facto Civ game, especially with Caveman2Cosmos. Suitable if you want to get more in depth etc. with your games
Civ 3 is fucking horrible, you pretty much have to pray for good starting location or you'll be stomped by AI who somehow manages to have gazillion luxury resources. I only play this one for the Warhammer Fantasy mod

you DID preorder, right?

Each game is fun while it lasts, but it ends far too quick.

5 (full) > 4 (full) > 2 > 4 > 3 (full) > 5 > Beyond Earth > 1 > Rev

Civ 6 is looking really good. I only have 1 or 2 problems with it, and the only thing I don't like, graphically, are the forest tiles.

Doesn't it have the same amount as Civ V?

Anyone else actually really looking forward to 6?

As far as we know, it's Ancient, Classical, Medieval, Renaissance, Industrial, Modern, Information.

Not yet. I'll probably get it around the 10th, when I get money.

singleplayer? civ 4 w/ xpacs. civ 5 with xpacs is good though. i have like 1500 hours of multiplayer civ V with the NQ mod, so it's my favorite overall.

4 is better than 5 even though I have more hours in the latter because it's a bit more of a thoughtless time waster.

IV is the best, then III, then V

I don't think it has that many because units have much fewer upgrades than Civ V.

Sounds like you want the civ 6 district mechanic

Are they going to dumb that down too?

Ancient > Modern?

There hasn't been anything said on the amount of upgrades there are. Plus, they're aiding more types of horse units. There's light cavalry, chariots, and heavy cavalry.

You can see all the tech here.

youtube.com/watch?v=MK2X3IxUfLY

The consensus from what I hear is that Civ 5 complete and Civ 4 complete are more or less tied for being the best

Don't get your hopes up.

Also, on the topic of not getting your hopes up, the AI is going to shit itself dealing with barbs in Civ 6. That's presumably why there is no Raging Barbarians setting.

There's a predecessor to Archers too.

6 seems to be taking a lot of inspiration from Endless Legend

The only real swing there is that 5 never seemed to get anything on par with Fall from Heaven.

I had such hopes for Kael going to Stardock but so far all we got is Sorcerer King.

It looks like the first Civ game in a while to actually be good without having to wait for the expansions.

Civilization 6 is going to be the best, fellow fans. Firaxis allowed people to show off the game a month before release so we can really see just how good it is and get our preorders in early!

Yeah, except Endless Legend didn't have upgradable units. You just swapped out their gear. Which is stupid in some cases, like with the Wild Walker's tree peoples.

I did like Endless Legend, it just wasn't for me. The combat was garbage, and the quest system was total shite. I did enjoy city building in it, though, greatly. The only other thing I wish Civ 6 copied from it was the terrain levels. Building a city on a cliff could be major fun in Civ 6. Too bad the only height variance is between land and sea.

Best mods for Civ 5?

It's because the shittiness of Stardock overwhelms everything. You need to be a bronzed gaming god like Soren Johnson to slip something past the Midas of feces that is Brad Wardell.

>The only real swing there is that 5 never seemed to get anything on par with Fall from Heaven.

Because Civ V isn't as moddable as IV.

Hopefully the devs weren't lying when they said Civ VI was built to be compatible with mods. It's the only thing you can't determine from watching preview gameplay.

CBP.

I just meant in general, not with the units. The districts, having an Influence resource, the way open borders works.

I like ELs combat, but the unit AI needs to be a lot less retarded.

NQ Mod + Map, though the newer versions of the mod are pretty shit, so get v9.

Is this new Todd posting? Because Ed Beech is really cool, and a genuinely good dude, and I loved Todd posting.

I tried CBP but really couldn't get into it

Civ IV Unique Traits + 3rd Unique + 4th Unique

Much better than the total conversion mods like CBP. Introduces enough new stuff to make the game fun and exciting without entirely reworking the game.

Influence was already in Civ V.

EL did a lot of good, but it was also pretty lame. Though, I haven't any of the expansion packs. I was thinking about getting them during the Steam summer sale, but decided on getting Terraria for my 3 friends and my little sister.

worth noting NQ is mainly meant to MP, not SP

Yea, but it does actually improve SP as well. Bots are retarded and will go Honor/Piety in the stock game, so bringing a mod that makes those two relevant helps them out a bit. There's also some AI tweaks in the mod that make the AI less shit.

I have 2.5k hours in Civ V. Civ VI is probably going to be my GOTY behind Rabi Ribi

Who do you guys think is going to be top tier in the beginning?

My bet is on Gilgamesh, if his ability is actually what I think it is, (it turns barbarian camps into goodie huts) or Gandhi (the penalty for attacking Gandhi could destroy you).

Speaking of, is that how it works?

Oh, and Gilgamesh's ability seems like hot garbage. Yes, there's totally an advantage in giving others more EXP/bounty. If you ever decide to go warmonger them, they'll be all that much stronger. Not to mention the 5 unit range is massive. That's like half of Europe in a large Earth map game.

When your friend attacks someone or someone attacks your friend you just go send some people to watch the fight.

IV + expansions and a few mods. Some of the mods are stellar, like Master of Mana.

I wonder if it would really work if you're not at war with who your friend is attacking. If it does, then it might just be an alright ability. I definitely would've wanted something to do with rivers, though, considering Sumeria was a river civilization

Is it true that venice is the best civ in V?

Only if you're going for an AI victory. Even then, it's only like top 5.

In any multiplayer match, they're objectively the worst. They drop from being Poland tier to being Iroquois tier.

right here

But V with BNW is clearly the best.

Gotta go with Alpha Centauri. Abusing Crawlers and terraforming is so much fun.
Are there any other 4x games with similarly broken units?

china being able to rush early wonders with workers still sounds broken to me on paper

It's 15% of total per charge, for a total of 4 charges early game, over 4 turns. You still have to spend money on them or build them. Remember, they are on a strict usage limit now.

I think France's wonderspam ability is the most powerful, between the 3 wonderspammers.

Scythia probably. Sounds like a super buffed version of the Huns from civ 5, who were already very good.

Huns were only good because of the free +1 production on pastures and the Battering "I found a goodie hut on turn 3 and now your city belongs to me" Rams.

The only good horse units in Civ V were the Camel Archers and the Keshiks, which were essentially upgraded Camel Archers.

Horse Archers were basically just composite bowmen who could move twice as far and started with a free upgrade, now in Civ 6 you also get 2 for the price of one.
No Ram definitely sucks, but the whole district system makes it seem like raiding/pillaging is going to be a lot more effective than it was before.

I thought this as well.
A civ ability which helps out your allies, not you. Ehhh.

Still not as good as Composite Bowman that were upgraded from Scouts and had survivalism. That terrain penalty really sucks, as well as getting OHKO'd by spearmen instead of just losing like 50% of your health.

But yeah, it was the Battering Ram that made the Huns so strong. I was playing a King game the other day. 5th turn, my warrior turned into a Battering Ram, and by the 22nd turn, I had captured Carthage with just my scout-turned-archer and my Battering Ram.

Scythia's strength depends on if horses are good finally.

I'll stick with my cultural victories

They changed cultural victories in Civ 6

It seems like it could potentially be a good ability, but it'll be situationally good rather than situationally gamebreaking, like Norway's or Kongo's abilities.

Seriously, Norway's ability is basically combining Denmark with Polynesia. On a heavily water based map, that's going to wreck shit HARD.

What did they change?

This video explains it better than I could.

youtube.com/watch?v=v2L5g_dF3WE

Firaxis comes to you and asks you to choose the next 8 civs for the expansion. You have to choose 1 returning civ per continent, and 1 new civ, and you have to choose exactly 2 from the Americas, Europa, Asia, and Africa

Who do you choose?

inb4 everyone chooses Mongols and Zulus

Civ IV is better, but I find Civ V to easily be the second best while III is a major downgrade from II, especially unmodded. I is too primitive and simplistic and II is an upgrade over it in every way.

Americas:
Returning: Incas
New: Mississippians

Africa:
Returning: Mali
New: I don't know of any good ones that haven't already been in a civ game, unless you count the middle east as africa

Europe:
Returning: Celts
New: Something like the Vandals or the Goths, or an amalgamated "Germania"

Asia:
Returning: Persia
New: Majapahit (Or does this fall under Indonesia?)

You could choose Ghana or the Mamluks for Africa

They don't do individual tribes, as shown by Germany, The Celts, Polynesia, and the "Native American" civ in so many other Civ games. The Huns are distinct because they actually went on a fucking tear through THE most powerful civilization in the world.

Assyria and Vietnam for Asia.
Zulu and Nubia for Africa.
Italy (it appeared in the scenarios and has been part of Civ longer than dank Brazil, it counts as returning) and Prussia (led by Otto Von B.) for Europe.
Shoshone and the Inuit for America.

>Assyria
We already have Sumer and Arabia. Why not go for Persia, since they were an equally ancient superpower that were actually good in Civ V