youtube.com/watch?v=qN80_7rNmcE
youtube.com/watch?v=y7DoDZSjIDQ
venturebeat.com/2010/12/17/dimming-the-radiant-ai-in-oblivion/
youtube.com/watch?v=LzGsud6ERzY
youtube.com/watch?v=2KU5fXUx4N4
youtube.com/watch?v=JBY6mlvB9B4
en.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Big_Head
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I honestly can't think of a game that has GOOD ai, sure someone will prove me wrong.

but here's a blast from the past

youtube.com/watch?v=jbub_6bAPlk

Thats mostly the NPCs bugging out, but stalker did actually have pretty good dynamic AI when it worked. There was an overhaul mod that made it even better, probably some of the best AI I've seen in a "sandbox" style environment.

>get shiny new xbox 360 in 2006 for oblivion
>thing sounds like a jet engine
>game finally gets released and i play it
>nothing too special about the graphics for its time
>some textures like tree bark are nice
>entire game world seems so derp and lifeless with retarded NPCs
>secretly steal a piece of cheese in one city, don't get caught
>in a city on other side of the map, accidentally take something from a table
>NPC runs out of house, brings guard
>i don't resist
>get fined and he magically knows that piece of cheese didn't belong to me

.gif related, it's what I feel like doing to the Bethesda staff every time one of their shit games drops with this Gamebryo on life support engine.

I wish there was more games with AI that is indistinguishably intelligent. Even in games where the AI is pretty solid like CK2 you always feel like you have the advantage because they are just running off of the traits that the game tells you from the get go. It'd be truly great to get a game where the AI behaves as a player might do.

Here you go

youtube.com/watch?v=D_x-x0gawck

youtube.com/watch?v=CYAkrJil_w0

Outside of bugs, STALKER has pretty damn good AI, especially with mods like AMK or MSO that unleash it.

>that spin

Oblivion was so silly, I love it

It's impressive how accurate those movements are

Halo Reach's was pretty hyped.

youtube.com/watch?v=MoKl98C_w-s

youtube.com/watch?v=qN80_7rNmcE

the first one.
>that second grunt
Bizarrely accurate.

It's a buggy game even to this day but the AI was pretty good. They flushed you out and actually knew how to flank.

Star Wars Republic Comanndo had pretty good team AI. They took cover and worked in tandem if needed. They also didn't turn into complete morons if the human player went down and needed revival.

youtube.com/watch?v=y7DoDZSjIDQ

>venturebeat.com/2010/12/17/dimming-the-radiant-ai-in-oblivion/
>In some cases, we the developers have had to consciously tone down the types of behavior they carry out. Again, why? Because sometimes, the AI is so goddamned smart and determined it screws up our quests! Seriously, sometimes it's gotten so weird it's like dealing with a holodeck that's gone sentient. Imagine playing The Sims, and your Sims have a penchant for murder and theft. So a lot of the time this stuff is funny, and amazing, and emergent, and it's awesome when it happens. Other times, it's so unexpected, it breaks stuff. Designers need a certain amount of control over the scenarios they create, and things can go haywire when NPCs have a mind of their own.

>Funny example: In one Dark Brotherhood quest, you can meet up with this shady merchant who sells skooma. During testing, the NPC would be dead when the player got to him. Why? NPCs from the local skooma den were trying to get their fix, didn't have any skooma, and were killing the merchant to get it!

i think oblivion's ai was quite ambitious
though deeply flawed

NPCs even had a responsibility meter

They went too far in terms of stripping out the NPC freedoms in skyrim.

Some of the "silly" stuff that could happen in oblivion was part of the fun, it added charm and made the world feel more alive & unpredictable. Skyrim is so... robotic feeling in comparison.

I still think they are bullshitting people with this

youtube.com/watch?v=LzGsud6ERzY

Oblivion had some flaws, but by fuck did it trump Skyrim in terms of the NPCs.

Did Skyrim have the NPC schedule system even?
In Oblivion, it felt like:

>Nordlot Assgut lives in Chorrol
>He stays up quite late reading in his bedroom, then sleeps in the next day
>At the start of his day we will go to the inn for a few hours, where he'll probably talk to Argonian Dickpurse who is there at the same time each day
>He'll then go home and eat, before talking a walk around to the tree until it's dark at which point he'll return home and read

Meanwhile in Skyrim, every single NPC felt like they were either in bed sleeping, in 1 other spot such as behind a counter or at a workbench, or else travelling between the two.

In Oblivion I remember plotting to kill NPCs while in the Dark Brotherhood, and everyone having a schedule meant that if I really wanted to pull it off I'd have to learn schedules of the target, the people he speaks to, learn who'll be where and at what time, and plan accordingly.

Use the sketchy as fuck poison apple mechanic?
Find a vantage point and take him out with a bow as he passes through a quiet area?
Get into his house while it's unlocked, hide, and await his return?

There was oddly enough so much more variety added by scripting more shit, and a lot of wacky shit could happen.

Such a pity.

>you will never sit on vent talking to friends while you mindlessly jump all over the towns of Oblivion, eventually hitting 100 acrobatics and athletics allowing you to jump out of cities and on top of cathedrals

skyrim was fun, but the removal of acrobatics and athletics removed literally dozens of hours of gameplay for me

I have no pics or webm for it, but what about the soldiers from F.E.A.R. or the Stalkers in Dead Space 2?

Hell, even Halo: CE had some cool ai for the time, the way that the covenant would react to the order in which you pick off a patrol blew me away as a kid.

>cheat athletics and acrobatics to 255
>leap across the entire lake the imperial city is on

Except quest givers are immortal, so this is bullshit.

Crysis and Crysis Warhead had great AI when they didn't break. They would use flanking tactics and throw grenades to flush you out of areas. The most impressive part was they actually got better with difficulty, which games rarely do now, instead difficulty just gives the AI more numbers.

FEAR 1 also had some of the best AI I've ever seen.

youtube.com/watch?v=2KU5fXUx4N4

youtube.com/watch?v=JBY6mlvB9B4

>We had to remove this feature because it was TOO good
Tell me sweet little lies

To be fair, I do believe that they genuinely had to tone down some stuff in regards to the AI.

For example, in the final game, NPCs with a low responsibility can commit crime. They can steal food from around them or attempt to pick pocket other NPCs. This normally ends in failure, and if they don't have enough gold in their inventory to pay the fine the guards will chase down and murder them.

Now if you take this one possible situation and consider other interactions that could happen using the same NPC freedom, it's easy to see how problems could arise, for example the skooma thing mentioned in the article.

It's a shame they just outright didn't implement things, instead of working in ways of trying to avoid the "game breaking" problems that could arise.

>The most impressive part was they actually got better with difficulty
I tried playing on delta difficuilty, it was a gigantic fucking chore and i switched to hard instead. Enemies have more armor than a fucking tank and headshots are mandatory to kill anything. Meanwhile, your own super expensive state-of-the-art exosuit is made of fucking cardboard. AI also has Far Cry levels of bullshit aim

>they couldnt be bothered to create a vending animation between 2 npc

wow
was it so hard to make it so the NPC from the skooma den just buy it? or just basically make it so the shady merchant is well armed?

>Enemies have more armor than a fucking tank and headshots are mandatory to kill anything

I remember throwing a frag grenade at a group of gooks and they just casually got up after the explosion

>This normally ends in failure, and if they don't have enough gold in their inventory to pay the fine the guards will chase down and murder them.

I recall that this happens with the Argonian called Big Head in Shivering Isles, which is a problem if you want to complete a quest.

>en.uesp.net/wiki/Shivering:Big_Head
>Big Head is often caught stealing forks and summarily executed before you can get or complete his quest. This happens because Rendil Drarara carries a pewter fork in his inventory and will be on the streets at 2pm on his way to the chapel, or 4pm on his way home when Big Head is searching for a fork.

>Oblivion is 10 years old
>Skyrim is 5 years old

Where did the time go

Skyrim is five in November

HAVE YOU HEARD OF THE HIGH ELVES