discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yEQBD58R25U
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Good JRPGs.
>Pre July 2003 - Final Fantasy
>Post July 2003 - Tales of

Tales of has replaced FF.

Final Fantasy used to be great, than went to complete shit around ten, Tales of is shit as well, but it's a fully built JRPG series, so we just bend over and take it. Tales of is the dirty bowl of gruel that is cherished only because people are starving.

At least Tales has maintained it's level of mediocracy whereas Final Fantasy was once fantastic but has been on a sharp decline since X

Tales of is great until about Symphonia for me, but Abyss was also pretty good.

Everything after has become a gimmick like the FF series has become. It went down the almost exact same path.

Plot recycling, overdesign of characters and game mechanics that tweaks a few minor things, but, overall, remains the exact same as previous entries.

Nobody can shit on Phantasia, though, the PSone version is ultimate JRPG.

Nope. Can't stand Tales art style.

Tales of Vesperia is objectively better than any Final Fantasy. But yeah the rest of the Tales games are absolutely terrible.

>used to be great
Nah. It was always pretty mediocre.

Tales is kind of crappy for the most part, but with an occasional shining gem.
FF is mediocre for the most part, with an occasional gem.

FF > Tales just because mediocre > crappy.

Not really. They are both fantasy series, but whereas FF is more comfortable mixing the series up, Tales seems very set in the conventions, and these days is example of very basic RPG story.
One could argue that is their selling point, as most other series have moved on from standard being RPGs, but Tales has been fumbling with the story execution for a while now, which is arguably the most important point.
I'd have to agree with modern Tales. Symphonia, Abyss and Vesperia have great style, hell I'd argue that Vesperia is one of the best looking games in the series thanks to very clean visuals and light cell-shading. Graces is weirdly chibi, and starting from Xillia the art direction is very... shoujo, if that makes sense, and in-game graphics have very soft shading, which looks weird.
The sprite based games look fine.

tales of graces has the best gameplay of any jrpg ever created

And the shittiest characters. It's rare to have such an unlikable main cast in a game.
Malik, Pascal, Richard and Sophie do have some fantastic interactions, though. Too bad you'll only see those after beating the main story.

the gameplay and transitions between combat were smooth as fuck, but it has one of the worst plots and characters in a JRPG ever

You're kidding.

Graces F had an amazing plot and characters. I actually enjoyed this game MORE than Symphony or Vesperia. It was good. Not every game has to have an edgy plot.

Was he a pedo?

this

graces was comfy as fuck

They're video games. They cost the same.

I haven't played the majority of either series, but I found more fun games in the Tales series than I did in FF, so I definitely prefer it.

You're being ridiculous. Biggest drama in the game stems from characters being idiots. Asbel's father being the prime offender.
>Told to guard prince that's visiting your home
>Be attacked by some birds and wolves, can't beat those so your kids armed with fucking sticks save you
>Beat your kids for saving your sorry ass
>One of them is shy and loves his home, while other wants to go and train be knight
>Out of spite send the shy one to be trained as prancing la-la homo man complete with heels, so that he wouldn't fight with kid who doesn't want to be home
>This results in main character of the game being a whiny faggot for most of the story, and the homo-bro being annoying spiteful little shit
The characters in Graces are so fucking stupid.

>I HAVE NO IDEA WHO THIS RANDOM PURPLE HAIR GIRL IS BUT I'M GOING TO PROTECT HER WITH MY LIFE
>MUH FRIENDSHIP TRIUMPHS OVER EVIL
>Let's go to this alien planet through a spaceship because this will maybe save her
>They actually convinced the bad guy to stop being bad because "friendship is power"

the plot was fucking retarded and the characters were even more stupid, it was like throwing in every Japanese cliche into a JRPG.

Graces plot was pants on head retarded but I liked the characters. Richard is a smug bastard who doesn't get enough cutscene time.

Honesty Eternia, Symphonia, Abyss, Destiny DC and Vesparia are the only games in the series that are amazing, everything else is meh

What bothers me even more is that all of Graces plot would have never happened if those fucking kids just ignored Sophie.

But nope gotta drag her into town, make her a household family member, and explore a fucking cave with her just because.

Buddy, I'm willing to bet most of these kids never played anything pre-Symphonia. Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2 US) are God tier RPGs. It went downhill starting at Symphonia in my eyes, as it went fullscale overdesign weeb trash.

>IM GOING TO PROTECT HER
Being nice is a bad thing? I know Cred Forums is full of edgelords but tone it down a bit. And they do become friends so it makes sense. And they're kids, kids are supposed to be dumb.

>FRIENDSHIP TRIUMPHS

Yes it usually does. How many times have a single man won against an entire army in reality? Yeah. And even outside battle, having friends really does have a lot of benefits. Stop being edgy.

>this will maybe save her
Again, how is trying to save your friend a bad thing.

>bad guy to stop being evil
>cliche

How many videogames do you actually absorb the final boss and the main character uses it as its last special move? Yes, the characters are cliche but this applies to pretty much every character in every game. Everyone is or is a variation of a trope.

Also, Asbel is one of the most fleshed out characters, you literally play as him from a kid, to his teen years all the way to when he's like a father figure to sophie.

Graces F's story isn't any better or any worse than most jrpgs honestly. But yeah there are better stories out there.

fucking this, i couldn't take Symphonia seriously due to the character models

Played Xillia without playing or knowing anything of the series...What a weeaboo fest piece of shit. It was so goddamn awful. How can anyone who isn't a massive love/friendship starved creep enjoy this?

Everyone has a boner for symphonia because everyone had gamecubes

so we can all agree that Vesperia > Symphonia, right?

I like how the 'cliches' you pointed out are in the majority of RPGs, but you fail to mention that.

You must have such high standards. It must suck to be you. I'd hate only being able to play a very very very small handful of jRPGs that don't follow any "japanese cliche'

They don't even know anything about the girl, yet Asbel is willing to put his life and the king's life on the line just to protect an autistic girl.

This is a party of 6 people, not a army. They stopped a fucking cataclysm from happening just because they literally told the final boss "I know that feel of being lonely bro, just be my friend already so we aren't lonely."

Asbel had the responsibility of being his father's leader replacement in his town, but he decided to fuck off and go to outerspace just because sophie was glowing and there was a possible lead (nothing guaranteed) that something on a alien planet will fix her.

Graces as a whole is just fucking stupid.

The supposed awfulness of the storyline has been overblown by some useless people (like you)

Only character who kinda got on my nerves was Sophie. The characters overall are very good.

Best way to really get a feel? Play it yourself. If anything, the gameplay is fantastic, and the characters are interesting (especially in the skits).

I'm all for cliches but Graces takes it to a whole other level. It's just cliche after cliche for 60 hours.

Isn't that Eternia's plot?

It's not overblown, it's literally how the game presents it. I already beat the game and I love the gameplay but the characters/plot are so bad. There's a reason why Japan ranks Graces so low compared to other Tales games.

isn't that Symphonia's plot?

Tales and FF aren't very comparable despite both being jrpgs.

FF is more of a plot heavy series with grand emphasis on the characters and world told in a way that just seemed grand. Tales on the other hand has always been more about the gameplay with character interactions and little things as a plus.

It's decent, not bad. Predictable but not terrible, and I liked the conclusion to the F arc (the core story in the F arc is simple too, but the side events are good). Of the Tales I've played (Symphonia, DotNW, Destiny PS1, Eternia, Abyss, Graces F) Graces F has the 2nd best cast, second to Symphonia, and the skits are good.

So pretty good characters and this game has a great battle system so I thought it was engaging enough. Kinda meh soundtrack though. Just as long as story isn't your main reason for playing the game you should like it.

We can all agree that Legendia is complete garbage. Music is alright

>Tales of Phantasia and Tales of Eternia (Destiny 2 US) are God tier RPGs

This nigga knows whats up.

>starting at Symphonia it went fullscale overdesign weeb trash
Destiny 2 was before Symphonia so you're wrong on that front

Quit it. I just mentioned Eternia because it also had a purple hair girl.

Both series have been declining really badly. Fortunately it looks like Berseria is finally what we want, I'm gunna be enjoying it alot more than the trash fire that FFXV is turning out to be.

>people actually defending graces plot
lol

Isn't that Abyss's plot?

obligatory post

Nah famalam. Malik was the best character in that game.

I think you meant Cheryl

Tales are the only jrpgs with co-op so I'll keep playing them anyway

Isn't that Destiny's plot?

Cheryl was a wet blanket.
Richard and Malik in future arc were god tier.

lately they've been distancing themselves away from co-op or making it really shitty. zestiria and berseria for example camera system doesn't work good for co-op. and I don't think the PC ports for tales games supports co-op but I could be wrong.

I kek'd more than I should've

I thought everyone said Beseria saved the franchise yet you're telling me it has the same shit camera for co-op as Zestiria?

Tales actually had good games last gen, though.

The camera is berseria is better than zesteria by far but when used for co-op it can be a bit tricky. It's not as good as say vesperia's camera where you could zoom the battlefield all the way out or have it change based on player actions.

Playing jrpgs for co-op just seems completely retarded to me. Second player must either have a lot of patience or you just mash X through the story to get to gameplay. And non-boss battles in Tales only last a few seconds so player 2 doesn't get to do much anyway.

I swear if the game would have put a little more attention on Pascal and Malik it would have been better.
Protect-kun is so fucking boring.

I don't get the Graces one.

youtube.com/watch?v=yEQBD58R25U

Last good Tales of was Phantasia

Pascal and Malik were just pure god-tier characters that didn't get the screentime they deserved. It's been a while since I finished Graces (replaying now) but I remember Asbel getting and Hubert getting better while Cheria stays pretty much the same. Am I remembering wrong?

I don't see anyone defending its plot, just its characters

>hubert gets a god tier waifu like pascal

funfact: there was a Tales of Eternia MMO that only ran for a year before shutting down

It also sucked. I played it.

>tfw no PS3 Vesperia

I would happily sell my anal virginity.

why don't you have a modded PS3 yet, if you're too dumb to hack it yourself you can buy a premodded one easily online for less than $150 or get a ODE drive for dirt cheap.

Not worth it. The only good Tales are 2D. Depends on how good your butt is, though.

Because that's too much fucking hassle. I would prefer an actual copy without jumping through hoops because I'm not autistic.

>it's too much of a hassle to put in a usb, install a update, and play your game

there's a complete translation guide out there if you're too lazy to install the translation patch yourself. I imported vesperia and beat the game using the dialogue guide.

Isn't that Legendia's plot?

Tales hasn't been good since Vesperia.

I just got done playing and loving Xillia 1 and 2.

Should I stop with Tales? Are they really all the same?

Tales hasn't been good since Zestiria.

isn't that berserias plot?

Vesperia alone is better than all of Final Fantasy.

How do you like your memes?

oh boy is this another "power of friendship xDD" JRPG series?

>someone calls x (not quite as popular) a poor man's/discount y (more popular)
>x is always rarer and more expensive than y
I know what they're getting at, but the irony always struck me as amusing.

Cred Forums can pretty much collectively agree that Vesperia is the best Tales game in the series.

PS4 or PC remaster when

You mean Symphonia

Tales hasn't been good since Vesperia.
Graces, Xillia, Zestiria all SHIT

Does the Tales of. series only have that spicy meme?

Never. Last time I checked it was a bannable offense to even ask Namco about it on their forums.

yeah nah, most of Cred Forums seems to agree Symphonia is the greatest because of nostalgia and as most of their first entry into the series

symphonia was good but vesperia is greatest. vesperia is literally symphonia's systems expanded upon

Do ''MUTTONFRESHMUTTON'' and ''I bet Arche fucks like a tiger'' count?

I have never played a Tales of game. What are some good starting points in this series?

Symphonia is alright but it is incredibly simplistic stuff compared to the later games. It's like a big blocky children's adventure playset that gets really dark by the end.

I think Xillia 2 is one of the best although I'm aware that's an unpopular opinion(?) so

Meant for

Dragon Quest is a discount Tales of

Vesperia or Abyss

Asbel goes from unlikeable shit to boring protag.
Hubert is fine, kind of generic but fine.
Cheria a shit always, at the beginning, at the end and in future arc.

they said no towards a PS3 version but that doesn't mean they can't make a PS4 or PC port.

vesperia is going to be 10 years old in two years so maybe we'll get an announcement then

Will there ever be a cuter Tales girl?

I hate bamco so much. Japan, Europe, US, doesn't matter, they're all shit.

I refuse to believe that Vesperia ended on a happy note, there has to be some sort of cataclysmic event or problem that will occur later on after the billions of blastia on the planet that was powering many things on the planet was suddenly destroyed to slay the adephagos.

The funny thing about that tweet was, it was a suggestion of her co-worker that she acknowledge the fandom a little on Twitter. It was intended to be a friendly gesture.

Within minutes they tweeted "I've made a huge mistake T_T" and the Namco US account tweeted laughing at them over the FLOOD of responses.

>A real man speaks with his back

Memes aside, what the fuck did Malik even mean by this?

If you don't understand what it means to speak with your back, you'll never be half the real man Malik is.

OP never played a Tales game and is huge fucking faggot.

Discuss.

He started a tales of thread so at least that's fine.
He's definitely a faggot though.

Why did they abandon the CC system from Destiny Remake and Graces F? It was the perfect combat resource. Not too spammy like Xillia's AC system but also flexible enough to allow you to pull off some sick combos if you understood the mechanics.

I used to fap to Sophies feet from this scene

i like both. why compare it to final fantasy? i like both of the series new games as well as their old games. tales of hearts is my favorite one so far for combat, while abyss has a better story

What, it's incredibly spammy. Graces just straight up constructs a combo for you automatically.

I don't understand people who generalize the entire series like this, they've literally all been fine except maybe a handful of widely accepted subpar entries. Of those, only one is a "main" title-- Zestiria. (Because it has to tie into Berseria)

The others are just mediocre at best; Legendia, Narakiri Dungeon X, Symphonia 2, Tempest, whatever. You never need to play these.

But Hearts R, Xillia and Xillia 2 have been really solid. Graces f has a dumb story yeah, but I love the combat, it's fluid and you rack up huge flashy combos super fast. The voice acting was solid and the game is still fun on its highest difficulty. I liked the crafting/Dualizing system and the Eleth mixer and I am genuinely sad we'll never see a return to that particular setup.

Xillia 1 was kind of like an open world Tales game which I enjoyed, and Xillia 2 (with it being an 'apology' for the unfinished feeling of X1) optionally let you re-explore those places as Ludger. You can literally retrace a shitload of dungeons from the first game that are completely optional, seeking more loot and things to kill. I appreciated how much space there is to explore in X2 and the combat is expanded into 3 DMC style weapon switch combat styles so it never gets dull.

How come nobody talks about tales of innocence?

berseria's plot is berserk lite with tits.

Pretty funny seeing posts like this when the best Tales game was released just 2 month ago

I can't fucking stand Final Fantasy and never could. None of the art or character design or world design appeals to me and all the games feel extremely tedious when I play them. Like I think FF is to JRPGs what CoD is to shooters. That's the best way I can explain it but even that is off. It's like if you programmed a very sophisticated computer that could make games and told it to "make a good JRPG" it would output a FF game. No flaws on paper but no soul.

Tales games all have personality; some of them are great, some are good, some of them are not. The main story in each one is pretty standard JRPG stuff and not that interesting but the characters/side quests/skits/extra contents are always great and of course the battle system is what makes this series. It's so much fun to actually fight monsters in real time and pull off sickass combos.

if you spam in graces you end up running out of CC quickly and it gives the enemy a good chance to break out of your combo and stunlock you.

in xillia, you can have infinite AC with certain combos. there's actually a glitch to powerlevel everyone to level 99 doing this.

>Xillia 1 was kind of like an open world Tales game
What the fuck? No, it wasn't, at all, unless you mean it in the sense that it felt empty as fuck and like it was missing content

The point is to use the right moves. Not just spam any old move. I mean some people do that and then we get those fucking heroes who complain that the game is shit because "Why do the enemies randomly not get stunned by my attacks waah this is stupid".

I never understood the complaint behind the addition of assault artes in Graces. Basically they replaced your standard shit attack from previous Tales and replaced it with like a dozen or so unique attacks. AND you have your classic style artes in addition to having your regular attack button matter. I feel like a lot of complaints in newer Tales games culminate to "This is not like Symphonia/Vesperia which was my favoritest and first Tales game omg I love it so much."

Basically
These people forget that the first 10 hours of Vesperia/Symphonia are basically made of 3 hits + souhajin

I thought they complaint was that there is literally too much content. Since you can explore huge swaths of the X2 world and fight monsters all with their own territories, fight bounties, etc

It felt open world to me cuz the areas are huge and you end up exploring all of them a lot to find loot and kill certain things or to fulfill quests. Maybe the subquests in X1 just trained my willingness to do a lot of busywork

also though, Muzet is fucking hot and getting her max relationship cheevo was immensely satisfying.

I'm just waiting for Berseria to come out in the west so we can have complaint threads out the ass. The amount will be legendary. I mean they changed the basic battle controls of Tales series and as we know any change is bad change online.

Are they going to complain about the gameplay?
This will be hilarious
Crazy fanboys are the worst things

>jrpgs thread
>the most important thing about the game is Story
faggots

Let's do this
Best plot
Best cast
Best soundtrack
Best 2D gameplay
Best 3D gameplay
Favorite main character
Favorite antagonist
Favorite Hiougi

If it was I wouldn't be playing JRPGs.

you should play a SaGa game
that has the best jrpg gameplay imo

-Berseria
-Berseria
-Legendia
-Destiny 2
-undecided between Berseria and Graces
-Veigh KUREHAAAAA Lungberg
-Arthorius' last words killed me so him or Dhaos
-Majin Rengokusatsu, Magilou shitting on Yuri's hiougi was great trolling though

It is though.

>Berseria is a good as fuck game
>Leads into Zestiria
Fucking hell.

tales of symphonia was best

FF isn't even a jrpg anymore.

The PS3 can be hacked through an USB update now ?

I agree with both of you that Vesperia was better all around, but people will still favor Symphonia in the end because of nostalgia and the feelings it gave them to experience the feeling of cozy adventure for the first time.

Most people that go back and play it though still refuse to admit its faults because the nostalgia overshines.