I've been playing the original Paper Mario for pretty much the first time, got up to pic related area...

I've been playing the original Paper Mario for pretty much the first time, got up to pic related area, and all throughout the game, I've been noticing that it's really not as good as I hear people say it is
>prologue is long and boring
>have to trudge through a dozen slow, non-interactive battles with no action commands
>bosses either didn't have enough buildup, or when they did, they were really weak payoffs
>partners don't really display much personality as I was led to believe
>Chapter 6 is horrible, worse than Ch.4 in TTYD
>inns & HP blocks being free makes it ridiculously easy to abuse them
>combat feels a lot more shallow than TTYD and SMRPG
Seriously, has anyone claiming this game is the best in the series actually gone back and played it? It's still a good game, but it feels like a gutted version of it's predecessor, and a less developed version of it's successor. What do people see in it?

TTYD has way too many problems with its level design for me to think it's the best one.

DELETE THIS NOW!!!

You're right, TTYD is certainly the better game. The original is just another in the long line of games where the first is remembered simply because it was first. All that said, I don't think it would be right to say Paper Mario is outright bad though. Nintendo 64 really has a lot of games that live on solely through remembered hype and nothing else

For me it's the opposite. I generally don't give the Paper Mario games so much credit like everyone else does but TTYD was backtracking out of the ass in almost every chapter. One chapter was literally just backtrack between two points the entire chapter. The train was also mostly go back and forth. The sidequests were always go back to that shallow location and stuff like that. The arena and the last chapter were excellent though. Wish the entire game was like that.

It's literally baby tier rpg

Funny how SMRPG was infinitely superior, more challenging and more memorable

I personally like it.

But the best RPGs in the series are Superstar Saga and SMRPG (SNES)

>Funny how SMRPG was infinitely superior, more challenging and more memorable

Lazy shell

While I admit TTYD Is better in alot of aspects, I still personally prefer PM64.
>Muh childhood

Quit your nostalgia goggles faggot

>more challenging

literally everyone I saw playing Mario RPG constantly run away from enemies and they were underleveled pieces of shits.

The only parts that really drag for me are the prologue (a huge barrier for me to pick it up again) and chapter six. But while TTYD has the instant gratification of having your action commands already, there are many more places that are a bit of a chore. The Boggly Tree, Creepy Steeple, the beginning of Keelhaul Key, and General White. Not to mention an entirely underwhelming Chapter Six.
They both have their merits. TTYD has grand peaks and deep valleys, but is certainly the more mechanically competent of the two. PM64 is a more consistent experience after the prologue even if the combat is simpler.

It is still more challenging than Paper Baby 64

>Dat Culex

>Culex
>challenging
>Lazy Shell makes you invulnerable to just about every attack

>It's literally baby tier rpg
It's more like an RPG with all the fat trimmed off.
>Damage doesn't inflate to ridiculous levels in late game, you can easily calculate how much damage you'll do in your head and weigh up your options
>Grinding is virtually non-existent
>Badge system is great, most badges stay useful throughout the game (Unlike a lot of RPGs where new weapons are constantly outclassing the old ones) and give a wide variety of playstyle options
The game is very basic, sure, but it's also well designed and polished. I wish more games were like it.

>less developed version of it's successor
you don't say

SMRPG was mediocre, take off your nostalgia goggles.

yeah that's fair. Compared to Sticker Star and Color Splash both of the first PM games look like flawless paragons, but they have their weak points as well.

I'd say PM64 is an all-around great game, though not excellent. and TTYD is an excellent game with a few terrible moments that drag down the whole package.

TTYD is quite literally a rehash of 64 with more badly drawn OCs.

Gotta agree with this, though PM64 is my favorite game period. With all this backlash with the newer games a lot of people are probably over hyping the originals making them sound way better than they actually are making others expectations go higher.

N64 folk tend to exaggerate the quality of their games from that era.

It's a defense mechanism because of how badly Nintendo got blown the fuck out by Sony who basically came out of nowhere. As a result they'll often claim every N64 game is basically the absolute pinnacle of its genre, and no other game can compete.

PS1 folk tend to exaggerate the quality of their games from that era.
It's a defense mechanism because of how badly Sony got blown the fuck out by Nintendo who basically came out of nowhere. As a result they'll often claim every PS1 game is basically the absolute pinnacle of its genre, and no other game can compete.

Nice try Sonygger. See how this goes both ways and that there's no argument to begin with? 0/10 see me after class

The trade-off with the original Paper Mario is that it has much better level design than TTYD does and no ridiculous padding like General White. It's just a more consistent game, while TTYDs quality is all over the fucking place based on what chapter you're currently in.

Its got some nice sidequests and optional bosses too. All of TTYDs side content is basically tied to the Pit or the Trouble Center, not giving you too much of a reason to re-explore areas.

I like TTYD more but neither PM game is perfect. It's why I really wanted a third game that bridged Paper Mario 64's world design with TTYD's writing and gameplay.

>It's more like an RPG with all the fat trimmed off.

more like an RPG with all the challenge removed.