Civilization V

Is this the best strategy game ever? Is there anything better?

PS: Age of Empires comes very close.

Other urls found in this thread:

google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=#&ved=0ahUKEwihypylnLrPAhUDVz4KHZrkAmkQ8TUILDAB&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

bump

Sid please
You're too drunk for the internet

well, I don't see you mentioning any game that's better

Spore

>released in 2008
kys

Civ IV

agreed on that

If you had posted a screenshot of civ4, you'd be on the right track

civ5 is dumbed down garbage for children

This thread has inspired me to go play Civ4+FFH2 again.

>>Is this the best strategy game ever?

Agreed, it does seem far to simple at times.

Speaking of FFH, which is better: Fall Further, Orbis, or Rise from Erebus?

Rise from erebus

Civ V was bad because in order to skimp on gameplay mechanics they tried combining the feature that limits population size and international trade, the luxury system. They ended up with an absurd global happiness and ridiculously simplistic diplomacy system. They knew it was an awful shortcut which is why they added trade routes and the world congress in BNW to partially subplant luxuries as the only way you interact with your neighbors. Unfortunately the luxury system was too ingrained into the vanilla game for them to ever hope of removing altogether.

They stopped using the luxury system for BERT and Civ 6.

Any particular reason that one is better?

>Is there anything better?
Civ4, since it's an actual strategy game and strategy actually matters as a result, instead of this micromanagement skinner box bullshit.

Victoria 2 exists, so no.

It's just the most balanced, if you don't really care go fall further because it has the most content.

I love playing Liquor Factory Simulator.

>downloaded Civ V
>played it for 100 hours
>uninstalled satisfied
>redownloaded it a year later
>couldnt even stand it for 5 minutes
I dont think this has ever happened to me before, but I actually hate how the whole of Civ works now. I honestly dont know why I could stand it in the first place. The AI is shit (biggest issue by far), the depth is totally nonexistent, the victory conditions are so easily exploitable, the combat is literally just spamming whatever the highest level troop you have is, you spend a huge amount of time doing jack fucking shit waiting for wonders/tech to finish, all your choices are minor as fuck and no matter who you play as you hardly feel like your playing anything unique. I think the only exceptions to that are Rome and Venice but thats only because of the number of cities and nothing else significant. Music is great though, 10/10.

I think I might have died and someone else took over my body or something.

Na

Wasted Potential: The Game

Maybe it'll be good after two expansions.

What wasted potential? They are updating it like mad and its about to get its first expansion already.

Honestly its on its way to be one of the best 4X games.

i love the dank prussian memes better

Like I said, it might become good.

Right now it's just a lot of interesting ideas in a completely bland and uninteresting game. At this point I'd rather start my 300th+ game of Vicky2 or CK2 than spend another hour on Stellaris.

Its good now

>turn based games
>best
mount & blade and victoria 2 are leagues ahead

give me a detailed proof foor this

it is the demander's responsibility to find proof

>Is this the best strategy game ever?
I am disgusted to even read that notion.
FUCKING HELL NO.

No it's not. They solved some of the technical issues and addressed some balance problems, but the game is still lacking in anything that actually makes it fun and every game just plays out the same way regardless of what race you make.

Stellaris is what you get when you combine Europa Universalis with Master of Orion, but somehow managed to leave out everything that made either of those games fun to play.

>X is true
>Why
>You figure it out
Only on Cred Forums

>just plays out the same way regardless of what race you make.
And opinion disregarded. You suck at the game or didnt play it.

Where is your own proof that CiV has any ability to compete even with a moba?
You simply established that it was superior and play uppity when someone says "no" without expounding.

uppity clappity moppity snappity
whampitty japitty rabbitty carity

It is rather the claimant who needs to prove his claims, or the counterclaimant has no reason to do so himself.

it's a comfy game

Indeed.

>hurr you didn't play it

Nice arguments, fagtron.

Seriously, it doesn't matter what race you make because all you get out of it are some statistical bonuses and maybe one or two "unique" techs that for the most part also just give statistical bonuses. Not to mention the shitty AI won't react to you in any different way other than maybe a statistical penalty to diplomacy if they're opposed to you.

Different races have zero identity or personality and don't differ from eachother in any way other than what picture ou see when you talk to them and whether of not they get +5 dragon dildos or whatever.

Any perceived difference in playstyle is just you trying to roleplay by making bad choices.

>Any perceived difference in playstyle is just you trying to roleplay by making bad choices.
You make me smile user.

>Making all that shit up to save face
Seriously kid if you're going to shitpost dont post shit that can be disproved by a wiki page.

Here is your last (you)

>that can be disproved by a wiki page
Go ahead and post it then.

But I know you won't, because you don't have any argument other than "hurr you don't agree with me this means you don't play the game!"

I've tried getting into Civ 5, but I just can't bring myself to finish games most of the time. I find that the game stops being fun after the renaissance era. Are the other games like this?

Literally not a single thing you said is true.
>it doesn't matter what race you make because all you get out of it are some statistical bonuses and maybe one or two "unique" techs that for the most part also just give statistical bonuses
The whole game is based around policies and government types and the effects that has on your entirely play-through. Its literally impossible for a diplomatic based democracy to play like a xenophobic military dictatorship.

Its also one of the few 4X games where it isnt just stat based differences, you get different structures, policies, techs and events.

most of every 4x/grandstrategy is boring once you get snowballed power

Almost all 4x games are like that.

>Not to mention the shitty AI won't react to you in any different way other than maybe a statistical penalty to diplomacy if they're opposed to you.
>AI wont react differently except when they react differently
What

Wtf, I hate Civ V now.

>The whole game is based around policies and government types and the effects that has on your entirely play-through.
Exactly, and the fact that they have almost no actual effect on how the game is played is what makes it such a shitty game.

>Its literally impossible for a diplomatic based democracy to play like a xenophobic military dictatorship.
The only difference is how many friends you have. The game still plays out the same way, except now you might have some backup in a war.

You can pretend you're a pacifist and never go to war, but taht's just bad choices for the sake of roleplaying. Even as a pacifist race you can go to war and conquer others no problem, rather than crippling yourself by entering a federation with the godawful AI.

>Its also one of the few 4X games where it isnt just stat based differences, you get different structures, policies, techs and events.
All of which are purely stat based differences.

>oh boy I get an event that gives me 100 space monies, this makes me feel like my race is truly unique!

>new CIV will have Brazil
>not Portugal
>thread isn't even about the playable nations
EVERY SINGLE CIV THREAD
TRIGGERS ME TO NO END

>You can pretend you're a pacifist and never go to war
No user, you LITERALLY cannot go to war as a pacifist, you can only defend yourself.

You actually didnt play the game and just proved it. Thanks for that.

I am rather curious to see that supposed wiki page that disproves something so overarching of all facets of the game as well.

And since we already had the inevitable "claim needs proof" post, how about you provide those pages?
At least has elaborated a little on his statements, but you are simply summoning something that can't be easily checked as a higher instance to base your whole argument on.

>You can pretend you're a pacifist and never go to war, but taht's just bad choices for the sake of roleplaying. Even as a pacifist race you can go to war and conquer others no problem, rather than crippling yourself by entering a federation with the godawful AI.
Oh god my fucking sides. You cant declare war as a pacific you moron.

>All of which are purely stat based differences.
Except they're not. any event as a xenophobe and xenophile, you don't get the same options or outcomes at fucking all.

Holy shit user at least play the games you shitpost about.

>you can only defend yourself.
You can defend yourself by provoking a war and taking the opponent's shit.

Again, those are just fake differences for the sake of roleplaying. They have no actual impact.

Hes trolling and making shit up user and he just proved it as well
>You can pretend you're a pacifist and never go to war, but taht's just bad choices for the sake of roleplaying

>you don't get the same options or outcomes at fucking all.
>I get +100 space moneys instead of +10 space happiness, this makes me truly unique!

>You cant declare war as a pacifist!
>Yes you can moron
>Well you can but its the same thing!
Go on then, tell us what would make the game different in terms of features then since obviously nothing is good enough for you.

Use actual gameplay descriptions, dont say shit like 'it has to be meaningful'

>that backpedaling
Pfthahah

Are you people clinically retarded?
Of course pacificst can go to war, you can even have wars of aggression all the time, the only problem you have that your core pops won´t be happy because of their ethics, but that does not stop you from changing your war ethics day 1.

Just look at how good games do it.

Say, MOO2. Sure, all races have similar traits, but they don't play the same way. Playing Klackons vs Gnolams in MOO is something else entirely than playing a race with +reproduction vs a race with +trade in Stellaris.

>I didnt play the game
We know

>Are you people clinically retarded?
Considering that all they do it "lol you don't play gaems" and they haven't even attempted to make any actual arguments, that's pretty obvious.

But of course, we have to keep in mind this is Cred Forums, so we can't expect more than that.

>MOO2. Sure, all races have similar traits, but they don't play the same way
Oh my fucking god my sides. They play EXACTLY the same. Its literally nothing but stat differences.

Kill yourself POO shill.

>just more shitposting without actual arguments
>calling other people shills

>you can even have wars of aggression all the time
No, you cant. Its literally impossible to declare a war as a pacifistic.

Three greatest strategy games of all time:

Age of Empires 2.
Civilization 4.
Rome: Total War

Literally no-one can argue against this.

>Playing Klackons vs Gnolams in MOO is something else entirely
What the fuck am I reading. MOO is entirely stat based, in fact I dont think there is a single limiting factor in the whole game that stops you playing any faction like any other minus stat differences. All 4X games are like this.

Rome 2 is better
Unironically

>Just look at how good games do it.
>MOO2
Please kill yourself and the developers who made that disappointing turd.

>horribly imbalanced, buggy as hell, and striped of all the integral features that CivIV had
Is this a shitposting thread?

>you can even have wars of aggression all the time, the only problem you have that your core pops won´t be happy because of their ethics, but that does not stop you from changing your war ethics day 1.
Firstly, you cant change your war ethics as a pacific

Second, how would you do it so pacifists and warlike states were different.

>They are updating it like mad and its about to get its first expansion already.
Do you even know about the Paradox business model?

Do you even know how to pirate DLC?

I forget, why does everyone hate Europa Universalis 4 again? It gets old pretty fast but for the time that it's good, it's good.

"make our DLC and games easy as fuck to pirate and get the normies to make up for it with a lot of minor DLC purchases"

>Civ 5 mod support sucks

There are some pretty bad things about the game, but that is by far the worst.

Favorite Civ4 mods, go

I pirated every single one of them along with the base game, but it doesn't mean my point is wrong. The game iss shit because Paradox will spsend next 5 years sellling a shitload of DLCs that "expand" on the game where they should be there in the first place.

>playing with lucky nations on
You done fucked it up.

>"expand" on the game where they should be there in the first place.
Is that why Stellaris has gotten more free updates with more content than all its DLC combined so far?

What Civ 4 mods would you recommend? I'm in for some Civ time today

So you're gonna settle for having to pay for the steering wheel just because you got the rims for free?

But im not paying for the steering wheel or the rims

Also
>using metaphors because you haven no argument.

Civ V with all the expansions is the best 4X game period.

>car analogy
Kill yourself.

mana

Civ IV, Civ III, Civ II, Civ I, Alpha Centauri, Colonization, Masters of Orion 2, Galactic Civilizations series, EU series, HOI series, Vicky series, TW, HoMM 2/3, come to think of it, pretty much every other strategy game I've ever played is better than Civ V.

What about it? Thanks to estates you're now swimming in mana.

>people shitting on Civ V
>people shitting on Civ IV
You are both cancer and probably don't even know it.
Both games are great.

Both games would be decent if they actually had AI that wasn't complete shit

What's the best mod for Civ 5? It's the community patch, isn't it?

>The game iss shit because Paradox will spsend next 5 years sellling a shitload of DLCs that "expand" on the game where they should be there in the first place.
Please tell me of this magic method where you get infinite time and resources to develop games

Seriously you newfags who infest Cred Forums need to fuck off and lurk more. Cutting content is a day 1 DLC problem. It doesn't mean every single developer hides years worth of content on a server just to piece meal release it later which makes absolutely no fucking financial sense at all since nearly all game sales come from release and the older a game is the less its DLC sells.

>Civ V
>great
Let me guess, did you start gaming with previous gen?

Age of Empires isn't even the same kind of fucking game. Don't bait me like this ever again.

>ignoramus who has never been in software development spotted

Daily reminder that it takes equal time to write 100 lines of source code, or 1 line of patch code. Doing anything while a product is live is a recipe for disaster, because half of the team members have moved on to a completely different project.

My first gaming platform was the C64 of my brother and after that I had a SNES etc.
Got our first PC, which was a Pentium II 233 Mhz, in the late 90s, I think it was 1999.

But hey, thanks for asking a completely irrelevant question.

>implying all genre names are not arbitrary as fuck

>implying there isn't a huge difference between turn-based strategy and real-time strategy games (aka R T S)

>Doing anything while a product is live is a recipe for disaster
Thank you and goodnight.

>all the categories are arbitrary

>All game designers have infinite time and resources
>he doesn't even know none of the team members have left the Stellaris group since its the most successful Paradox game ever
Thanks for the laugh.

>Daily reminder that it takes equal time to write 100 lines of source code, or 1 line of patch code.
I dont even. Are you baiting? What fucking universe do you live in where that is even slightly true.

Let me get this straight. You're mad that Stellaris released with '5 years' worth of content that should have been there that wasnt because Paradox hid those features which they will release as DLC even though they have released more free updates than DLC faster than any other Paradox game and where you can get the game for like 20 on sale and all the DLC for free.

Just, what?

Whatever you say mang. From a profit standpoint that's literally impossible, unless a product CONTINUALLY sells as strong as it did on launch day, you can't keep a team of 20-100 people working on a game.

The only exceptions to this rule that I can think of are ASSFAGGOTS and MMOs, because they have a near-continuous revenue stream. And even then I'm willing to bet that Blizzard hires and then fires a bunch of devs every time an expansion launches. Shit's common sense.

I'm sorry then, your bad taste is genetic

Okay, then I guess I hacked the game.

>its impossible because i said so!
You just keep ignoring reality then user.

>change policy from pacifist to not pacifist
>look! war!
No. Shit.

War policy is not ethic, you intellectual pygmy.
And the whole point was that you can´t change your war policy/can´t wage wars of aggression as a pacifist, which I denied and disproved, you retarded mongrel.

This is how 4x is. Endless Legend is comfy as hell, perfect music, aesthetic , etc. But it's so shallow and boring.

Nice try but thats not Fanatic Pacifist.

>getting so mad you made up a whole new game and image just to prove a point
>fail to prove that point
My fucking sides

Don't respond to cancerous paradoxfags from /gsg/. They're utterly retarded and unable to argue without spewing Cred Forums memes.

>And the whole point was that you can´t change your war policy/can´t wage wars of aggression as a pacifist
And you cant. So thanks for proving you're a moron.

Are you retarded

>Stellaris
>/gsg/
So not only do you know nothing about Stellaris, you also dont even know Stellaris isnt a /gsg/ game

Well done, well done.

A-hem

>Don't respond to cancerous paradoxfags from /gsg/
Stellaris isnt allowed on /gsg/ because its too good for them.

Unlike Cred Forums the 4x general is a nice place and people like Civ, Stellaris, Endless and all manner of 4x games.

Who is moving goalposts now?

Yours is literally the only post that mentions fanatic pacifism in the entire thread.

how do I git gud?

You are, because we proved you wrong. And now you're pretending you were specifically talking about one type of pacifism because you want to desperately save face.

We can all see you're retarded user. Keep feeling embarrassed.

Play Deity. Settle a minimum of 3 cities and only restart when you die.

When you learn to not die, then you have a shot at winning.

>you can declare war as a pacifist!
>be belittled because you're a moron who doesn't know a single thing about the game and therefore assume you have no idea what fanatic/normal differences are
>i-i meant normal all along now i know im wrong!
Uh, huh.

Claim your wonderfu before someone else does

>Civ V
>probably the shittiest game in the whole series
>Civ VI is coming out
>lots of let's players with early access
>They're all shitters trying to apply Civ V strategies because that's all they know

I'm sorry but this isn't Command & Conquer Generals.

No, this is the best strategy game.

>I meant normal pacifist all along!
So you think Stellaris is shit because you can only RP and cant actually limit yourself with government choices even though we just proved to you that you can limit yourself with government choices

I think you need to stop getting mad, stop posting, and then stop living.

What a shitty wonder. A wonder shouldn't turn a crap city into a god tier city. It should only turn a crap city into an okay city or an okay city into a great city. Same thing with Desert Folklore. It shouldn't be absolute shit except in very specific circumstances where it is basically victory on by turn 50.

Sure my favorite wonder is
>This wonder has been built in a far off land
FUCK

>Y-You came all the way down the tree just to see little old me?

Well shit user I'm already kek'd

But my side bitch will do the job I guess

How to Spot the Newb: The Wonder

Crusader kings 2 is better imo

I'll take Temple of Artemis my good man.

>waiting for claims simulator

>Man Civ 5 is so easy you just build the GL, then HG, then Petra and you're set!

>And now you're pretending you were specifically talking about one type of pacifism because you want to desperately save face
No, I merely responded to the claim that
>Its literally impossible to declare a war as a pacifistic.
and
> you cant change your war ethics as a pacific
and disproved that.
You are now trying to save face that you meant specifically FANATICAL pacifists, a less common form of pacifism that is also a sub-form not binding for the overall ethic, which is the textbook definition of moving goalposts.

Not going to lie I'm by no means an expert player. I can beat the shit out of my friends though and that's all that matters to me. I am starting to get better at the higher difficulties though.

Got any nudes?

>waiting
lmaoing at your lack of holy wars, m8

>petra
>desert folklore
>morocco
good times

I only played V, what does IV do better?

2 was the pinnacle of the series

I agree. But I think it's unique enough to warrant its spot.

The main issue is that desert aren't crap at all, it's not like you're working the shitty tiles. Tundra is the tile that needed a Petra, I mean even the religion sucks when in reality Asatro was quite robust

>I MEAN NORMAL ALL ALONG
Sure you did kid, sure you did.

It's not even the best Civilization game.

>holy wars in europe
I'm not playing as a Spaniard or some Pole cunt. I want to take over Europe from the inside

>Take a province
>Reach max amount of provinces

That's like playing Mario and reaching the max amount of Jumps allowed after five.

You cant declare a war as a pacifist unless you change policy

You cant declare war as a fanatic pacifist at all

The only reason you are now bitching about this difference is because we proved you're a moron who has no idea about the game and you cant cry about how wrong you were claiming you can only limit yourself and the game doesn't limit you.

You're absolutely pathetic.

invest in stewardship or change your succession law nigga. Ain't nobody can micromanage a huge empire

Did a 5 year old make those designs?

>getting this upset you were proven wrong
This is why I love Cred Forums

Ebin post lad
google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=#&ved=0ahUKEwihypylnLrPAhUDVz4KHZrkAmkQ8TUILDAB&usg=AFQjCNF1sHlk2z9QIx28jtvfnGP_UlkifA

I prefer CBP.

Petra provides +1 Gold on all desert tiles.
Desert Folklore provides major bonuses but only on oases and desert tiles with resources on them.

Too bad CBP is broken in other regards.

Civilisation V with the Brave New World expansion pack.

why are you giving me a dead link

>a less common form of pacifism that is also a sub-form not binding for the overall ethic
What the fuck are you smoking. You spent the whole fucking thread crying that stellaris is nothing but stat changes and nothing matters and then bitch even harder when people prove you have actual real limitations that are imposed? Jesus fucking Christ just stop.

>1000 hours of gameplay
>Never, ever not been denounced and backstabbed by this cunt

After careful consideration I'm going to go with Women's Suffrage from Civ 1.

>a less common form of pacifism
Please explain how the main form of something is the less common form of it.

Even the AI uses fanatical more than default options.

>sub-form not binding for the overall ethic
What?

>when a moron gets BTFO in a thread
This is why I can never leave this place

How so? The incremental cost in wonders nerfed most strategies.

Now the only issue is that while the AI is super-competent at fighting they're not aggressive at all, at least not compared to vanilla.

Then here is some pertinent info.

The GL is a newb wonder because it is very powerful and makes a lot of sense to rush... on lower dificulties. On higher difficulties it is somwhere between impossible to get and cheezy to attempt to get. It's not a rational thing to shoot for given the AI's early game bonuses.

Now, that's fine and all, but why should getting the GL be stigmitized on lower difficulties? Because it dominates your early game strategy. Newbs who make it all the way to Immortal can't win because they don't know how to play any other way but to rush the GL.

I almost feel bad, hes obviously retarded.

randomized personalities, yes or no?

retarded builders started to build roads at start of the game. They started building the roads to my ally.

Never autobuild when you have an ally

How is CBP broken?

Always yes

Predictable shit is boring

personally I don't, I like the familiarity behind finding Montezuma as my neighbor turn 10

If you want a comfy strategy game you play Anno 1404

I think that Civilization V WITH MODS is indeed one of the best strategy game ever (beaten only by Heroes of Might and Magic 3 perhaps.)

However, most of those mods add features that were available by default in Civlization IV for example, as it adds essential diplomacy options like forging alliances and federations as well as allowing you to vassal other kingdoms among MANY other things. However, a lot of these mods are also designed for one specific purpose; To undo a flaw or many in the original design of Civilization V. And it took years for the community to truly polish them to perfection. So considering I have mods that add and change almost the entire game, I don't know exactly how much credit I can give to the base game except that it's fairly easy to mod and that the game looks pretty.

Could you post some of the ones you think are critical?

please?

I never use it personally because I quite like the idea of "getting to know your opponent" and seeing how they act differently towards me based on my behavior. It's like they're real people and the more you play with them, the more you can predict their moves. It's almost like they are real people. It's almost like they are your friends. I wish I had friends.

you're not one of these people are you

OP here.

WTF I go out for an hour and the whole discussion is about something else now...

>WTF I go out for an hour and the whole discussion is about something else now...
>Cred Forums Video Games

Start using a mic online. Its the only way to make vidya friends but its super quick.

In Civ 4 I used them for a long time but more recently I've gone back to non-random because the random ones always seem to be sort of in the middle about everything rather than extreme warmongers/mercs like Montezuma or traders like Mansa Musa or whatever else. I'd rather extremes exist than just a mishmash of weak middling personalities.

What does that do again?

Dear heavens, no. Unless you mean to imply that I'd be the person with the frown upon my face, in which case I believe that there may be some truth to it. I do believe that I'd rather have no friends at all than shit-tier friends, honestly.

Thank you for the advice.

I've entered a Blood Bowl 2 league and I have been talking to a few people there during the matches which has been nice, but the leagues are designed so that you only play one match versus each opponent and then won't play them again unless you both make it to the play-offs at the end of the season, so I might not speak to most of the people I play against ever again. Except perhaps during next season, many months down the line, if you end up in the same division again.

I would have enjoyed it more if it was turn-based and the combat was a little bit better designed, but it's an okay game overall. I feel like Stellaris has the potential to be much better if they just add about 6 expansion pack DLCs with content..

Coming through