So I just found out that square enix restocked this after doing a piss poor job at it years ago...

So I just found out that square enix restocked this after doing a piss poor job at it years ago. I wanted both of these when they came out but could never get my hands on them So which one should I get and why? Try to keep spoilers to a minimum of course.

Other urls found in this thread:

gbatemp.net/threads/dragon-quest-iv-party-chat-restoration.381078/
strawpoll.me/11338384
youtube.com/watch?v=s4lz-HZZCA4
youtube.com/watch?v=EOwpilbpCu4&t=7m12s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

V and where did you find them for sale?

amazon, walmart, and Square enix's store.
they're $27

DQIV is great. I just played through it and it was a lot of fun. It didn't have party chat but seeing as I've not played a version with party chat, I'd say it worked out just fine as it is.

Haven't played DQV yet.

All DQ games are shit

I kinda wish the 3DS had DS games on it's eshop

Why not both?

You don't want the DS version of DQ4, they removed Party Chat entirely from the localized release because they were too lazy to translate it.
And Party Chat in a game with 8 companions is a pretty damn fucking big deal since there's extra story, exposition and character development there.

Only mobile (Android/iOS) version has Party Chat so you want that one if you don't speak Japanese.
5 and 6 are fine on DS.

If you must get a DS one the clear answer is DQV. DQIV had content taken out for the US release on the DS. The mobile version restores it so it's the definitive edition for us.

Keep in mind graphic and sound quality is over all better in the mobile releases so you may as well just get them on mobile but having hard copies is nice too I guess.

Oh what the fuck. I played up until I got back control of the MC, I didn't know the phone version had party chat. I thought it was weird that they didn't say anything. What kind of bullshit is that? I don't want to replay that shit either. Should I just skip to V and come back to IV when I forget everything about it?

You should definitely drop the DS version of 4, I can tell you that much.
Whether you start over now on mobile or play it in the future doesn't matter, just don't play the butchered localized DS version.

>Move into a new place 10 months ago
>Order IV 9 months ago
>Be a stupid retard and put the wrong address number AND postal code
>Never get game
>It was never returned to SE so they can't send a new one
My game is out there somewhere.

Should I play V DS or PS2?

V of course.

PS2 one is better, if you played DQ7 on 3DS it's basically using the same engine.

do all of the ds ports having fucking awful accents?

I just started DQ 7, what am I in for

Illiterate murrifat detected.
Every single DQ released in English since (and including) DQ8 on PS2 has accents.

5 is a must play.

4 is also a must play, but you'll get lots of arguments over which version. I personally like the DS version because its much harder than the NES version

I'd get DQ4 but it also depends which version you want to get

The NES version is harder
the DS version is easier, but has more content. The DS version however has accents, which a lot of people dislike.

fuck my life. i guess ill play the japanese versions then.その汚猿 スクエニめ

You can't go wrong with both OP!

Just remember for the NDS version of 4:

-Easier
-Shitty Accents

If you can get past those, go for it!

Fuck man, well at least I have a physical copy. I knew something was up when they were so quiet after their initial scenes. Oh well, I should've looked into it more. Thanks user.

i'm actually european so I guess i'm an illiterate eurofag? whats your point? stop presuming shit, I wish I could see your face right now

Both are good. 4 lacks the party chat which is a big fucking deal but it's still good. 5 is both the best game in the franchise and it added best DQ girl along with Alena. You can start with V anyways, they are unrelated mostly.

How's the 3ds one? I only played the DS DQ.

The point is that even Japanese original has accents you illiterate fuck.

Hakata dialect, Osaka dialect, Hiroshima dialect, Kyoto dialect, Nagoya dialect, Sendai dialect, Hokkaido dialect - those are all represented in Jap versions of DQ.

The reason for different accents in English version is to mimic that.

Stay illiterate.

I guess I'll go with the PS2 version then. Are there any differences between those versions besides gfx?

b-but how can I shitpost then?? Next you're going to say there's puns in japanese too!

PS2 redesigned two dungeons giving them better layouts, while DS sticks to original SNES layouts.
DS version also got an extra wife choice in form of Deborah but you can only pick one per playthrough anyway and you really want to go with the "canon" (as drawn by Toriyama and as expressed in the official novelization) choice which is Bianca.

PS2 has orchestrated OST. DS has extra wife and two extra monsters(both aren't that great).

Then the graphics differences of course.

And there is party chat in the JP version which they removed from the western version. Whats your point?

They could have easily removed the accents as well. no one asked for that.

I know it's sarcasm but Jap versions do indeed have puns and maymays too, just Japanese ones.

Don't forget about orchestral soundtrack on PS2, DS has midi.

Party chat was removed due to budget and schedule issues, not because they wanted to. They even brought it back in the Android/iOS ports of DS version.

You're a moron for advocating that games be butchered by having content and unique aspects of them removed by the way, you should fuck off back to Zelda since that seems to be more up your alley.

They should have removed the accents from the game as well to save on budget.

Oh so you're pretending to be retarded, okay.

Thanks guys

Whatever you want to believe to make yourself feel better

Wasn't IV DS party chat removal only a thing in the US version ?

It's removed in all translated versions on DS, that includes European Multi5.

Huh, well shit.Good thing there was that one fan patch.

It's a weird situation. Supposedly game files existed that included english text for party chat, but likely due to them not having time to comb it over to make sure it meshed with the normal translation it was cut.

There isn't one though. There is literally no way to get party chat on DS version without playing Japanese version.

You're not thinking of any patch but of the iOS/Android version which is a port of the DS one and this time they added Party Chat since they could already use rest of the script from DS.

But that's wrong user.
The function literally doesn't exist in the non-Jap versions at all, they took out the code for it entirely so even if you were to translate it and add the script it wouldn't work because the Party Chat code doesn't even exist anymore.

Educate yourself:
gbatemp.net/threads/dragon-quest-iv-party-chat-restoration.381078/

I thought the jap release did indeed have the files already translated in english though.

Is it dead?

DQV gets sad at multiple points

Not the party chat, Jap version just had early work-in-progress main story scripts for other languages inside the files, but they were nowhere near completion and it was onyl for main story, not party chat.

Is every DQ game as long as DQVII? I want to get into the series, but I don't want to have to dedicate an entire year to a single game.

What's that from? The Wii game?

No. The first one can be finished in an afternoon.

The rest range from 30-60 hour experiences on the average.

>mfw I just saw how long it takes
Holy
shit
What the fuck man

I genuinely like the accents and don't understand all the hate for 'em

I can only play one game these days. These games came out when i was in highschool. I graduated college and have a family. Don't really have the time to play 2 huge jrpgs anymore

thanks for clearing that up for me.

DQ7 is the longest, because when PS1 came out everyone went into the 3D craze because it was new.

DQ team saw that PS1 3D is actually pretty shit and decided to utilize it's amazing 2D capability instead and decided to push the concept of a 2D JRPG to the limit and so it ended up being an insanely huge 2D game.

It's not really a 2d thing. It uses sprites for characters and monsters, but it's buildings and such are 3d.

They just looked at the space limits of cds and thought, let's go nuts.

>It uses sprites for characters and monsters, but it's buildings and such are 3d
Like Persona 2?

I'm not sure how persona 2 handles it (haven't played it), but you can rotate the camera in towns and dungeons to see what I mean in 7.

But it's a 3d game with shit 3d graphics

It's sprites are also pretty weak for the time. Considering games like xenogears. However, animations are top notch for monsters.

DQ4 is extremely fucking cute but the lack of party chat really makes it fucking bland.
Just get 5 and pirate the mobile version of 4 since it has party chat

Yeah you can do that too. I bet the sprite look better than P2 since DQ is more famous so more money

Just ordered DQVII so I can't take advantage of this, bummer.

Oh no. Persona looks way better

>butchered
This guy

That's, like, your opinion, man.

Purists who insist on "muh accurate translation", not even realizing that the original had regional dialects as well.
I'd say that the accents are occasionally overdone and poorly done at times, but it's not really that bad.

The regional dialects have different implications in the japanese version than the english one

Like someone sounding like they're from Texas gives you a different impression of them than if they're from England

Thus, it was localized to be more familiar with the rest of the world.

Or should there only be new yorkers and texans in the english release?

Voice acting should never be given english dubs in general

We aren't talking about voice acting

Yes, that's exactly my point. Rather than have the entire world be Ye Olde Medievale Englande, it is separated into regions with their own manners of speaking. Sometimes this doesn't quite work as well as they'd hoped - not everyone is going to interpret a specific accent the way it is intended, and not everyone is going to know the stereotype to associate with the dialect - but overall it is fairly good at showing a world with different regions and different types of people, rather than everyone being functionally identical in every town.

> Now, I do reckon that the Demon King is afixin' to do us all in pretty good

okay, a medieval rpg with american accents would be funny.

That's really lazy. They should show the different regions and people through cultural differences and values instead of slapping a scottish accent on a dwarf and saying "yes now my world is diverse"

Well then, it's a good thing the games end up doing both rather than just one or the other.

playing 6 atm. stuck at murdaw's castle at the boss' 2nd form. any tips? or do i just grind and outlevel the nigga?

Are you using stat buffs and debuffs? Applying status effects? Keeping your guys healed?

I've not played the game, but typically in these you may be surprised with what enemies and even bosses can be vulnerable to. Also, equipment if you can: I've found that later-game, cutting fire/ice (breath weapons) or magic damage in half was exceptionally better than just pure numbers in defense.

how many have you played to give this expert opinion?

What would be a good alternative? I'm looking for a colorful setting with turn based gameplay. Since you appear to be experienced in this style of game I'm sure you have multiple titles ready for suggestion.

It's a dragon quest game the answer is always grind forever

What is the de feacto version of V to play? I could play the SNES fan translation on emulator or get the DS or the phone version. I know DS and phone have the new wife in it. Too many versions goddamn.

I don't really want it on phone but I could probably play it at work if I had the phone version.

There is basically no difference between phone and ds beyond control scheme. It may be more convenient for you to play with mobile controls if you want to play on phone. DS version is emulatable on the phone too.

I still like the ps2 version the best though.

saw
while reading the thread and watched a video of the PS2 version. Might be the best move unless I really want to grind at work.

strawpoll.me/11338384
strawpoll.me/11338384
strawpoll.me/11338384

finally beat the nigga. just needed to heall errbody. aight.

I would say so. That fucking battle theme alone.
youtube.com/watch?v=s4lz-HZZCA4

How do these compare to DQ8?

Because DQ8 was a slow piece of generic garbage.

youtube.com/watch?v=EOwpilbpCu4&t=7m12s

No kidding? Hot damn, I've been looking for V for months now. Took me forever just to find a used copy of IV.

>game rips off dbz art style

pass on both

>game rips off dbz art style

He doesn't know, haha.

Suffer through the NES version like the rest of us did.