What is your favorite video game and why?

What is your favorite video game and why?

In light of the shit discussions that are often on Cred Forums I'd like to bring it back to basics. Post a few games if you can't decide. What makes a game your favorite? Try to keep the bashing to a minimum and just post what you like and what makes it special to you.

For me it's gotta be either Shadow of the Colossus or Joust. One is a replayable (To me) experience with a great emphasis on minimalism and interesting design choices, as well as unique gameplay. I know it's to for everyone but as one of the games I revisit at least every year it's stuck with me pretty well.

The other is just my favorite arcade-style game. Slowly-increasing difficulty, unique momentum/controls and a wonderful understanding of what makes games like these addictive.

Joust was my jam as a kid.

It's tough because my favorite is usually the last game in that genre that I got hooked on, so I'm going to list some games I really liked

>Deus Ex / Human Revolution
Beat the first and immediately hopped into HR. I love how long these games are, and it's always nice having that much exploration and message logs.

>Wildstar
Most content of any f2p MMO I've tried so far and there's absolutely no pay-to-win.

>Timesplitters Future Perfect
Favorite game of all time.

>Battlefleet Gothic: Armada
Love this game but it needs more than just the battles. Would benefit 100x over from even the most rudimentary 4x map colouring aspects.

I like Dark Souls because it doesn't cheapen itself. You can't warp around all the time like in the sequels, there are obscure secrets to find, and the game never hands you things on a silver platter. There are obviously a lot more reasons that I like it, but this is what stands out in my mind the most about it.

I was interestedi n Wildstar when it came out, there was a Filipino dude I knew who was super fucking into it and it looked cool when I checked it out. Timesplitters is a jam, memey as fuck and actually did 'random' humor pretty well without feeling cringey. One of my favorites. I still remember feeling retarded trying to play the first one on my PS2 and sucking ass at dual-analog, haha.

Another game I failed to mention was RE2. Two campaigns was awesome to me as a teen and the whole thing reeked of some fucked up horror movie, with some nice b-movie shit thrown in. That game sucked me in a lot and I still play it every couple of years.

also OP, I love dark souls. Say what you want about the 'gitgud' fanbase or PVP or the games' exploding in popularity, the first DkS has amazing atmosphere and revolutionary gameplay that shit tons of games these days are shamelessly ripping off now. I have no doubt in twenty years it will be viewed as a seventh-gen masterpiece, even for all its' flaws.

Of course Cred Forums doesn't want to talk about games unless it's pc vs. console shit or the newest triple A garbage. Or fucking Witcher 3.

Yoshi's Island.

It has a fantastic difficulty curve, tons of secrets, optional levels, great OST, beautiful art style, and fun bosses.

It is the perfect platformer.

Yoshi's Island is fantastic and it makes great use of all of its mechanics. I always loved the more exploratory nature of it compared to Mario Bros., but it's not lacking in engaging platforming segments either. Great game.

Fire Emblem 7. No fancy reason, Ice just played it A LOT over the last 12 years.

I've.

Yoshi's Island is a favorite for OP as well. Great graphics, action gameplay mixed with the classic mario formula, and more stuff to do as well as the fact that 100%ing it is quite challenging. My literal only gripe is that there isn't enough music. What's there is great, but it needs more of it.

Top tier gameplay with zero bullshit, surrounded by other 10/10 stuff like the punk rock soundtrack, awesome unlockables, and custom skaters and parks which is cool. Also came with a demo for a snowboarding game.

Shame about the new one.

I didn't play it but I hear it sucked. That's pretty unfortunate, but I wonder if the whole thing could really be done justice in 2015. It's definitely a product of its time (late 90s, early 2000s) with regard to the overall style of it.

The best tony hawk game. Once I realized you could manual my fucking life changed and I still remember trying to snag those 7+ figure combos on airport. Fucking perfect game, and the PS2 version was the only game I needed for that entire year.

Extreme sports games could use a comeback. Wish they'd port Skate 3 to PC.

Mother 3

I just feel it connects to me more then any other game. Its gameplay, atmosphere, music, story, characters, writing, tone, and really everything appeal to me more then any other game. I definitely accept its flaws and know its not perfect but I feel it will probably be my eternal favorite game.

To me, it is and probably will remain for a while, Pathologic.

While we could spend weeks listing everything that is wrong with the game, the way it tells it's stories, the atmosphere and gravity, the way it actually makes you feel like a part of the world, is unmached by anything else.

Pathologic has been the one game that made me actually truly fascinated by videogames. Before it, I though games are cute distraction, interesting amalgamation of other media, but nothing worth particularly studying and paying exceptional attention to.

The two feverish weeks I've spend with that game made me completely change that view. It's fascinating, it's deep, it's incredibly atmospheric, it's actually beautiful at times, and it's the most clever use of the medium for storytelling purpose I've ever seen. It made me feel like every second spent on it were absolutely worth it.

Dude have you tried Olli Olli 2? It plays a bit like a 2D skate.

Played the first one, didn't do much for me.

Bumping this thread

Mirrors edge. Not really a classic, and definitely not perfect, but I still love it. Anytime I feel down I'll not it up and run away from my feelings :^)

The second is much better with manuals and more complex tricks.