Super Mario Maker: Limited Palette Challenge/Shill n' chill **COURSES DUE TODAY**

Today we share our Limited Palette Challenge levels, play them and judge them.
Feel free to shill your other levels as well, but reply to the OP with your LPC level to make them easier to locate.

We can also start up another LPC challenge for next week if this one goes well.
I'll post my LPC level in a moment

Other urls found in this thread:

supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/9341-0000-02A4-6702
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/D072-0000-02A4-6CC5
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/AB38-0000-02A0-96B0
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/D811-0000-02A3-9FFD
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/499E-0000-0290-335F
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/DB7F-0000-01BB-03CF
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/8885-0000-029F-7243
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/102E-0000-02A1-2ECB
mariowiki.com/Costume_Mario
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/MathisLeRock?type=posted
mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Maker#Four_Bowsers
youtube.com/watch?v=GMboID3tZJE
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

LPC Course:
>Magical Koopa's Underwater Romp
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/9341-0000-02A4-6702

Also here's the LPC challenge rules if anyone wants to make any last minute entries.

Bump, I know at least few of you made LPC levels

>Still have 50+ levels in my bookmarks

Fuck it, keep it going

bump while mine uploads

Oh shit! My dog ate my levels. Can I get an extension Mr. OP?

I always wanted to participate in the LPCs last year, but nothing's coming to me with this particular palette and I'm going to have a load of free time next week, so I hope there's another.

I didn't make anything, but I'll give a bump.

Just finish it ASAP, otherwise there's always next challenge.

If this goes well and we have enough participants that want to do another challenge then we certainly will

I wished this palette challenge had taken place a week ago, when I had more free time but struggled to come up with ideas for levels.

Oh man, I missed the recent threads and can't have a course ready in time. I didn't know a challenge had started.

Will play courses in here, though.

Anybody have anything else to shill?

Here's my LPC level:
>Mushroom Manor
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/D072-0000-02A4-6CC5

This one was pretty good. One of the few interesting water levels I've ever played.

Thanks, I don't think I would have ever made a level like that if it weren't for the LPC.

Yours was great, I really liked it. The part where you have to have Magikoopas wear away the wall is fun.

bump

I'm gonna go ahead and shill a level that needs a little love

>Limbo Manor
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/AB38-0000-02A0-96B0

For some reason all the deaths seem to be at the beginning, I dunno it's not that hard IMO.

>For some reason all the deaths seem to be at the beginning
Keyrock and Bort are probably the only ones who made it past the beginning.

Bump time.

Here's my level for the LPC.

supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/D811-0000-02A3-9FFD

Sorry, I just woke up and saw the thread. Didn't even read the description until just now.

Bookmarked the LPC levels.

This I think opens up a subject I've been considering for a while: what goes into a good water level? I only have one that I've ever released, and I think it worked simply because of its theme, but when I sat down to work on another it just didn't click. I ended up aborting it and making an ice cave instead.

Very nice job! I remember when we first were coming up with the ideas, people were like "Hey, let's skip the auto scroll part" and I was wondering if anyone would use the underwater theme. You happened to do both and make them work really well. Good shit man.

I've made 2 levels that use underwater segments and I think it's the environment. At least that's what I try to to. I like to make it look like there is sea life.

>Ship Infestation
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/499E-0000-0290-335F

>Extreme Safety Inspector
supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/DB7F-0000-01BB-03CF

These 2 use that.

Man, you'd think after making a level of my own I wouldn't have froze when I first hit that wall with the magikoopas lol. Good stuff though man. I'll work on the record some more and see how long it'll stay.

Whew, after a lot of restarting I finally did it in one go

Awesome level, the wiggler hopping at the end had me tense as fuck

Interesting. On some level I agree with you, but I would be willing to say environment is important for all types of levels. There's nothing wrong with regular, straightforward courses, but giving a thematic feel to a level can make it more enjoyable to play even if the actual gameplay of it is simple. That said, when it comes to water levels the dramatically different movement mechanics really change things up, I think.

I'll have to have a look at those levels.

I think good water levels need to have enough elements to make it difficult, but not be overbearing. Most water levels I see are either too open with too few enemies/obstacles and are boring or they're big clusterfucks. Spike mazes are usually horrible too. Water levels also shouldn't require as tight platforming as regular levels since it's harder to control Mario underwater.

Thanks man. Your level was great.

This level has nothing to do with the LPC, just a puzzle level that's growing in popularity fast.

supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/8885-0000-029F-7243

Sound is pretty important, just in case you anons play with the volume down.

If no-one is completing your course, you realise that means it's objectively bad right?

Seriously. I've sen levels in the 100 Mario challenge obviously spammed out by seven year olds with a 0% pass rate. No-one wants to die in a super shitty level over and over when they could be doing something a lot more fun. Maybe some people like it, but it's not why most people bought Mario Maker.

Shitty try-hard difficulty levels ruined the 100 Mario Challenge and ruined this game. I'm not playing with an emulator and even with one I'm not interested in playing another Kaizo and no, you're not a clever, ingenious and most importantly not as FUNNY as the kaizo guy.

Stop making these shitty levels. Stop making automatic trash. Stop making RPG quests with 14 super hidden red coins. Stop spamming 20 cannons and red shells and homing torpedo teds every second fucking screen on a moving platform.

Make
A
Fucking
Mario
Level.

It's assumed you know what one of those is.

>Limited Palette Challenge
What is this?

Ladies and gentlemen, the Mario Maker equivalent of the barneyfag.

Why did you reply to me with this rant? It's not even my course.

There is nothing wrong with making hard levels. My personal sweet spot usually is around 4-12% clear rate but I've played awesome levels with a much lower rate.

This post is objective truth

Same with me.

see image
We randomize 12 course elements (along with game modes, course themes and timer) with the Mario Maker Idea Machine and then make levels with those rules.

I'm so close to the record I can taste it. Good stuff though man, like always.

The challenge specifies a set of tools that are the only ones you're allowed to use in your level for it.

I probably shouldn't reply to this but I don't know if you've played since the Super Expert update, but most of the kaizo bullshit has been banished there since then.

Even then, at least on my part, playing Expert enough has taught me to have a certain sixth sense for bullshit. If I start seeing doors thrown everywhere or lined up, which is a telltale sign of pick-a-door instant death traps, I skip immediately. Same if I see enemy spam or begin to sense that every item block is a trap with an enemy in it, I skip. The one thing that really gets under my skin still is the troll bullshit of luring you into a pit with a power-up and then trapping you with invisible blocks, usually accompanied by the laughing sound.

The worst part is when you're playing an otherwise decent level that pulls that trapping shit out of nowhere. That happened to me once or twice.

Might as well shill a level I haven't advertised in these threads yet.

supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/courses/102E-0000-02A1-2ECB

A kind of "key hunt" level I mimicked from playing a shitty troll version on Super Expert.

I love seeing Keyrock and LGND obliterate records. Sometimes each others records.

Hehe, appreciate it! Keyrock is a pretty good runner - sometimes we go back and forth on some stages, but there's some I admittedly can't keep up with him on.

I liked it. I probably died 6 times in a row on the goombas because I kept holding right out of habit lol

How do they do it? They got mad skillz

Sorry about that, I thought about changing that part too. (Also cause I tried to speedrun my own stage and kept doing the same thing)

Damn, I would've been interested in making a level for the contest, but I'm late for it. I guess I missed out on the threads.

I'll be interested in the next LPC, I guess. I haven't touched the game in a while (partly because the lack of updates) but I'm itching to make a level.

I think for the next LPC I'll randomly make a thread to help advertise it too. I had the template downloaded but I'd always just wait until someone posted it/check the archive and see if I missed one during the day.

Alright, let's go ahead and set up the next LPC challenge for next week

I'm going with the same setup as last time, 12 items, mushrooms and arrows/checkpoints locked in, timer, course modes and course themes random.

Ready to hit the randomize button?

>There is nothing wrong with making hard levels.
Not if they are made WELL.

it's hard to make a good level. It's VERY FUCKING hard to make a good hard level. It is beyond the skill of any in the Third Age or later to make a good very hard level. Literally the Lost Levels or Kaizo are the only two worth a shit and then for very specific reasons. No try-hard on Mario Maker is going to be able to make a good hard level, let alone a godd very hard level.

> My personal sweet spot usually is around 4-12%
Once you've dropped below 10%, it means people otherwise up for it are packing up and leaving. Someone skipping or quitting your level is never coming back and every one of them is an objective failure on you as a designer. You didn't make it fun. People left.

Hard is easy. Fun is hard. Designing hard, fun levels is something virtually no Mario Maker creators even bother trying. They equate "hard" to "good", when in reality it's "hard==shit unless it's fun".

I must have died 5000 times playing the lost levels. But I kept going because it's fun. Generally within, maybe 3 deaths, I skip shitty MM "Super Expert" levels because they're not fun. They're tragic. You get to see another creator waste their talent on perfectly timed jumps and thowmps out of nowhere and stupid fucking insta-death doors. It's like you lets kids loose in a candy factory and instead of making sweets they all come out proudly displaying their pots full of burnt sucrose.

100 Mario Challenge is like the parent who says "That's so great! You did so well". You didn't. Your candy is garbage. Your levels are garbage. People spit them out. You've failed.

R A N D O M I Z E
A
N
D
O
M
I
Z
E

And here are the results!

Courses are due one week from now, on 10/8

The best levels have a clear rate under 0.1%.

I see a lot of SMW levels in the future. Around what time will the thread be made? I want to make sure I don't get caught up in something and miss it.

Here's your reply

Probably somewhere around 5PM EST unless another user makes one earlier

>tfw you're the first to beat a level that's been up for months.

Are they done with Mystery Mushroom characters? Some amiibo like Shovel Knight and Ryu still don't have characters.

mariowiki.com/Costume_Mario
150 and 151 are still TBA, then there's the rest of that line up to 160 that they'll probably fill in eventually.

Very good question, I'd like to get more personally. I have everything except the Fighter Fly since I'm apparently garbage at Gnat Attack. I really hope there's an update soon too, maybe around the time the 3DS version gets released.

Next week's challenge -Due 10/8-

Also, has anyone played any of this guy's levels? supermariomakerbookmark.nintendo.net/profile/MathisLeRock?type=posted

He has a bunch of glitch levels that somehow haven't been banned by Nintendo. I feel like he's the equivalent of the person who made Aika Village in Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

Neat, I love glitches

I still see blatant star begging levels not getting banned too. At least glitched can be fun as long as they don't crash your game.

Holy crap, I forgot about that glitch that would crash your game. Does that still work, or has it been patched out?

I'm pretty sure they fixed the dangerous Four Bowser glitch. I don't know if there are others.

mariowiki.com/Super_Mario_Maker#Four_Bowsers
>WARNING: If performed, the glitch will cause random Bowsers to appear out of nowhere upon starting a course before falling off screen. To stop this, one must shut off their console before restarting it. If the problem persists, unplugging the console might fix it.
>might fix it.
>might

That's scary.

Shit that almost sounds like a creepypasta

Damn, this is the first time I heard of this. Just saw a Youtube video on it, pretty interesting. Too bad it's been patched out.

The game crash glitch I was referring to required a pipe and apparently the underwater theme, but from what I've tested it's been patched out. youtube.com/watch?v=GMboID3tZJE

2spooky4me

>every one of them is an objective failure on you as a designer. You didn't make it fun. People left.
You mean people moved onto one of the other millions of available courses and no harm was done?
This objection makes no sense when you are only adding one level to a vast sea (rather than a linear game e.g. TLL), you aren't obliged to make some charitable experience for every last person who comes across your level when they can just skip if it's not for them. People naturally have less compulsion to commit to clearing a level when they can drop it for something else in an instant. On the other hand, if one or two people actually got a kick out of working their nuts off to perfect every input in some elaborate pixel precision ballet - and these people obviously exist, in fact there is basically a community of them - then surely the designer has achieved what they intended? What I'm trying to say I guess is that looking at a tool for infinite user made levels and then only being able to conceive of one type of fun is pretty dumb. Not defending spam levels by the way, just expert ones.