If arena shooters are so great, why are they dead?

If arena shooters are so great, why are they dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GkhP_oAEXXY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

They were too good for this casual world.

too hard to play and not console friendly

if you are so great why aren't you a multimillionaire?

Because one of the implemented ideas in these games was the idea of everyone being in the same level. which casuals don't like because it reminds them that they're bad, so now it's either loadouts or characters with different abilities.

Because they are hard and designed for the PC market. They were replaced by easier and more rewarding (on a superficial level, not gameplay wise) games. It simply doesn't appeal to enough people because normies reeee

Too hard for the everyday battlefield player.

UT99 still has active servers. New UT in the works too. Even back then there were games I liked better like Delta Force and Tribes.

Just play reflex.

No meat on the bone unless you're willing to train and learn the maps.

>not console friendly

Didn't stop MOBAs or MMOs, though

takes skill which takes time which means to have fun takes time. not as many people have the time to dedicate to video games anymore.

Somewhat true.

COD games where aiming and controlling your spray was loved by almost every casual.

It's just a cycle. Arena shooters were replace by WWII battlefield like shooters now it's modern warfare.

What more is there to be done with the genre?

I don't say this to imply they're bad games but where do you go from games like Unreal Tournament and the other 90s arena shooters?

so you mean before everyone was a loser with too much time on their hands but now everyones too busy?

This, video games are an exemple of a medium where most of its audience are just consumers rather than actual fans, which is why casuals are usually blamed for a lot of bad things in the industry.

They aren't very team based and sometimes are just outright 1v1 which means the average person cannot blame their teammates if they lose.

A game based around surfing in arena surf maps. Like Tribes but with more control and actual verticality.

The good die young.

Increasing amount of games spread playerbase thin especially if its an old game that everyone who wanted to play it is completely burnt out on it, and no casuals and autists dont count and no game thats popular because it has thousands of retards playing it doesnt make it good

Don't worry, Quake Champions will come along and ruin that even further.

RIP Pac
RIP Biggie

casuals couldnt get good

But then wasn't that sort of already made with Ascend? And wasn't that pretty much already implemented in an ingenious fashion with rocket jumping anyway?

It's not that I don't like arena shooters I just don't really see how to make a new arena shooter with any real selling points other than ITS AN ARENA SHOOTER, like there isn't a whole lot of room for innovation. It's already a completely solid concept that doesn't need a whole lot more.

>why are they dead?

Tribes had tons of verticality though. I want a true tribes 3 rather than the watered down version that was ascend.

consoles.

Then you don't know what surf maps are if you think ascend's open fields are anything like the roller-coaster esc surf maps.

doesnt this have a levleing system?

modern generation of 1997+ millennials didn't play them, they played Halo and COD.

? there's only a few mmos/mobas on console and nobody plays them

you ignorant fool

I think he wants something more like this, but a bit compact and designed around multiple people shooting at each other:

youtube.com/watch?v=GkhP_oAEXXY

To hard for new generations

Retard

Arena shooters were never a thing on consoles.

They hurt my hands if I play them too long

I meant that being console friendly hasn't stopped MMOs and MOBAs from being hugely successful on PC

Nothing to do with "phases" either, MMOs are an older genre than arena FPS and they're still huge. And while there's usually not a lot of dexterity requirements to them, they're usually rather complex in terms of systems and subsystems and so on

thats the point

If PC is so great, why is there no PC2?

people realized it was a fad and left when the fps/RTS genre got big in the early 2000s

yes and no. as you get older you get busier obviously so you have less time for games. the younger generation has games that take no skill so they can be good really fast. why play a game that would take hundreds of hours to git gud when you can play a game where it takes minutes

Sorry, meant to type "console unfriendly". MMOs and MOBAs are definitely NOT console friendly

Yes, Which is why they're dead

Makes no sense

the good die young

>like there isn't a whole lot of room for innovation. It's already a completely solid concept that doesn't need a whole lot more.
that applies to the whole FPS genre

Wait, what? You want surf maps with like unreal tournament guns? Could that even be considered an arena shooter anymore?

>Nothing to do with "phases" either, MMOs are an older genre than arena FPS and they're still huge. And while there's usually not a lot of dexterity requirements to them, they're usually rather complex in terms of systems and subsystems and so on

MMOs remained huge due to having a huge social appeal that speaks to normies far louder than arena shooters' "get fucking rekt for a year straight before you kinda sorta start believing you could actually be halfway good" appeal

This thread is dumb, AFPS are a niche of FPS. It's kinda like going "why does nobody plays shumps if they're so good". The fact few people play can actually enjoy them does not detract from their quality. Gonna get a bit pretentious with my analogy, but it's only a small number of people that can appreciate classical music. Guess it must all be shit after all

Because casuals, like 90% of gamers that play shooters, don't like getting their shit pushed in.

Take Gears of War 3 for example. The game died in a few months even though it was a 360 exclusive, looked great and had tight controls.

But why would a casual play that game and get rocked 95% of the time instead of playing CoD or Battlefield and run around like a headless chicken while getting tons of points, unlocks, and 'epic moments' of blowing shit up?

>arena shooters
>hard
literally point and shoot, keep moving, rinse and repeat.

Never got why people think shooters are hard desu. They're really easy to get a hang of. Really the only """hard""" thing in these games would be to get accustomed to the guns but even that takes like a few matches to do.

Unless you're planning on doing a few trickshots n shit.

SMITE and ESO are HUGE on Xbox and PS4. Just saying.

Here's your (You)

This is also a valid reason, the genre peaked too high and too early.

I wish I could go back to the year 2000 and just live there forever playing quake and UT. Or at least maybe I could move to europe where quake live has a handful of people still playing.

I really don't know why arena shooters can't seem to make a comeback.

SO wdoes that mean the new quake game flop ??

they are not hard. just run sanic fast and shoot people. that's all.

most people use consoles so devs dont make arena shooters anymore. for the most part there are some really good ones coming out recently though for the pc.

The people that played them would say its because they're too hard for casuals.
Truth is they were too hard because they controlled like shit.

Only UT controlled like shit