Can we have a JRPG thread? What JRPGs are you playing and hyped for?

Can we have a JRPG thread? What JRPGs are you playing and hyped for?

Hoping Berseria comes out close to P5 so I can play them back to back.

I'm at the end game of P5, after that I'll be free for a while
The last few months were something, playing Ys 8, Berseria, Utawarerumono 3 and P5 back to back was far too intense

The one where Goro is the traitor, AKA Persona 5

He won't be missed. And that's not even the real twist.

Anyone have a video showcasing the PS4 themes? They're expensive as shit.

Haru stronk

On my second playthrough.

Don't have a PS4/Vita yet so pretty much just DQXI and Pokemon.

How the fuck

her forehead got tired of all the jokes and decided to take matters into its own hands

Playing Tales of Symphonic Chronicles for the first time. I'm liking it a lot so far, what should I play after this?

>Final Fantasy has been shit since 7
>Persona is nothing but waifushit for literal no life faggots and pseudo-intellectuals
>Dragon Quests is stuck in remake mode
>No new Grandia in sight
>Phantasy Star is reduced to a shitty MMO clone
>Phantasy Star Online hasn't been good since the original
>Tales series has always been bad
>Star Ocean on the same note as Tales

Get back to me when a JRPG's stop hand holding shitters, and comes out with something that has an actually interesting combat system without resorting to retard anime tropes.

A RIVER IN A DRY LAND!

Symphonia*

I never understood the appeal of JRPGs desu. Bunch of spiky haired kids with a minority and a robot/ghost/memory/whatever the fuck killing god with the power of friendship.

Cred Forums Pass user since May 2016.

>No new Grandia in sight
>Phantasy Star is reduced to a shitty MMO clone

This hurts evri thyme

>dub

Literally how do you even live with your shit taste.

Playing through Dragon Quest 8 for the first time. I just got to Argonia. So good so far.

>he didn't import

>Cred Forums Pass user since May 2016.
Wow what the fuck is that?

power charge (chance to cast from futaba when SL is maxed) + heat riser (from haru) + rakunda on boss + single target pierce skill

Haru isn't meant to be able to buff herself like this all the time, and it shows

A new way to derail threads.

It seems Cred Forums Pass users have suddenly gained infinite shitposting ability.

This is genius, we're encouraged to buy passes to increase our shitposting power. Godspeed, Hiro.

shh, disregard and carry on

Persona 2 is legit good though, and Star Ocean never was very good imo.

One shot kill is pretty damn good. People like to give Haru shit for having meme skills, but that one skill makes up for it.

She has an attack that pierces defense? That seems really good just by itself.

Gotta admit user, right now it's just P5 and Yakuza 0. I know Yakuza isn't an RPG but hey, got a few RPG elements in there I guess, with the levels and what not

Playan DDS

Having a good time. I like the mantra system.

I'm using a pass but it doesn't show on my posts tho
i'm confused

>JRPG thread
>ctrl+f Trails
>zero results
what the fuck, Cred Forums

How about you grow up before coming back here? This is a +18 board

none of her skills are memes, she gets the psy element single/multi spells, single/multi pierce skills tetrakarn, makarakarn, some status ailment recovery spells, passive buffs for her pierce skills, and heat riser

speedrunning persona 4 golden on the easiest difficulty. p3p next then p5

>Get back to me when a JRPG's stop hand holding shitters, and comes out with something that has an actually interesting combat system without resorting to retard anime tropes.

Will never happen

You probably have to type something in the "Options" field.

I'm currently on my second run of CS1 to get a 100% save before moving onto CS2.

Playing
>Persona 5 (replaying for plat)
>Ys 8: The Lacrimosa of Dana

Both are pretty fucking fantastic. Ys 8 has actually redeemed the concept of party-based Ys games for me, and Persona 5 is straight up the most polished and fully-realized game I've played in probably a decade. I'm extremely pleased with both.

Also, I feel legitimately bad for EOPs who are Persona fans. They're gonna miss out on an absolutely incredible lineup of talent and some stellar performances.

Hyped for
>Nioh
>Nier: Automata
>Trails of Cold Steel 3
>World of Final Fantasy

This desu
I want to believe the next jrpg I play will be good but it's been disappointment after disappointment

The makarakarn/tetrakarn is what people are calling meme skills.

>mfw the only RPGs I've completed are Chrono Trigger, Persona 4, and DQ8 soon.

I have a lifetime of good RPGs to play ahead of me.

Get Apocalypse, it was amazing.

>Ys 8 has actually redeemed the concept of party-based Ys games for me
Hope you like them ditching it next game for new combat system you'll dislike until they perfect it then they'll ditch it again.

P5 has a pretty bad cast and lazy camera work during cutscene, it's annoying me though I guess it's a blessing everything is viewed from afar since their faces look pretty reptilian.

It's a good game but I wouldn't really call it the most polished game I played even this year, if only for the fact that the first arc is the only one that actually has a good narrative and some tension

Ys 8 is fantastic though, holy fuck

MFW he hasn't played Souls

Oh I was kind of hoping it would be a permanent thing that you couldn't get rid of so we could see some great divide in posting.
Kinda similar to the apartheid.

reptilian?

Spacing between eyes is pretty fucked, Anne is the worst case

Why don't more JRPGs have played made characters? I don't give two shits about most JRPGs heroes since there is usually 0 attempt at making them unique so I look towards player created ones.

I'm biased on P5 because I'm a fanboy for half the cast, but I don't think it's really fair to call them bad. It's fine not to like them since they overact pretty much...everything, really, the same way the voicecast of every game aimed at teenagers do, but I think they generally do a good job at bringing the cast to life and emoting as needed.

Camerawork is definitely nothing to write home about though, yeah. Though I really don't expect much more than P5 manages except for in AAA western games, since they're the only ones that tend to actually hire staff with experience making films who know shit all about cinematography. inb4 some autist chimes in to say "hurrrrrr muh cinematic experiences"

Agreed on the tension drying right up though. Like holy fuck the last 2/3rds of the game have no real sense of stakes, and I swear to god I called every ''''twist'''' in the final run-up to the ending. I still had fun and liked the cast, but geeze.

It really only comes up in a handful of scenes but if the camera ever shows a character front-on from up close their eyes are nearly universally set too far apart.

Making my way through Cold Steel is hard. I mean, TitS was never too shy about how every character was an anime archetype, but it had a certain layer of charm to it.

Then CS just goes way overboard with high school harem shenanigans, literally every girl wanting to suck Rean's dick, and then his coldsteel the edge transformation.

Just a quick question to JP speakers who have played Persona 5: I've spoiled myself on the entire plot already but still can't find info on how the romances are handled by the narrative beyond the cheater's Valentines day event. Does dialogue change in normal conversations if you're dating one of the girls present? Does any party member or character acknowledge it? Does anything at all outside specific romance events like Christmas get affected?

Wait until he gets Xenogears.

I just want Cold Steel 3 so bad. Falcom should hurry the fuck up.

Another problem I have with P5 is that it's too easy to break.
But I guess most Persona and recent SMT are like this

It's entirely because of how they changed skill inheritance desu

Should go back to a Persona 3 style system where the only way to minmax required divinely autistic levels of patience

Fuck off.
You people are fucking disgusting.

Hype for:
Atelier Firis (Fucking finally. It's adventure-oriented.)
Yoru no nai kuni II
Final Fantasy XV

What? I'm genuinely curious if they half-assed the dating sim elements again or if S.Links actually affect dialogue now like they always should have.

Switching back and forth between Xenoblade X and FF7

I just replayed FF7 on PS4 and was surprised at how well it holds up.
It's a fucking blast to play.

What is the layout of the Cold Steel series? Is it a trilogy? Does the third game cap it off?

I've got CS1 and CS2 on my shelf waiting for me to finish SC before I hop on.

I can't get into Ys games any more. They're fun (enjoyed the heck out of 7), but after I realized that everything basically resets every game I can't bring myself to care about any character or story.

CS1 is mostly highschool shenanigans with a cliffhanger at the end, CS2 keeps going right after the cliffhanger and ultimately wraps up the highschool arc. We know little about CS3 except that there's going to be a timeskip of several years.

Cool. Time to play it before I get spoiled. Any tips off the top of your head? (e.g. obvious missables, does/don'ts)

Jrpgs are fucking dead. I only play "jrpgs" like Xenoblade, Souls, Nier,etc There has not been a good traditional jrpg since Lost Odyssey and Tales of Vesperia.

Persona is absolute garbage for entry level weebs. Nothing about it is enjoyable. You don't travel anywhere interesting, you just go to school and listen to random people whine about soap opera problems. The game play is awful and aimed at brain dead retards who actually like and need a character to narrate combat.

Maybe Dragon Quest 11 will be good since it is on a console instead of only handhelds.

Play on Hard at the least, normal will be too easy. You WILL miss optional sidequests if you go completely blind with no guide, so keep that in mind if you're a completionist nutcase. Holding circle will speed up dialogue.

And finally, leave now. CS1 and 2 are both highly, INSANELY easy to spoil.

>playan
DQ7
SMTIVA
XCX
#FE
>hyped for
Berseria
Automata
DQ8
DQXI Please
P5
EOV

Things look good

Ack, will leave then. Thanks.

Don't be hyped for EOV, it's the worst 3DS EO

>Should go back to a Persona 3 style system where the only way to minmax required divinely autistic levels of patience

No. That was fucking stupid and part of my gripes with the older smt games

Why?
I liked it from what I played from the demo.

Trying to get into the first Trails game without much success, and that's not the fault of the game.

The fact that I vastly prefer to play JRPGs on handhelds is biting me in the ass, because gotta have that save transfer and there's no way in hell the PSP version of 3 is getting localised.

I really want to play TMS FE but don't support what happened behind the scenes
I feel bad after reading the creators tweets though

You can probably play the sky games a little shittop, if thats any consolation.

>What JRPGs are you playing and hyped for?
Currently playing nothing, hyped for Xanadu Next: When-the-fuck-are-they-gonna-release-it-on-the-west Edition.

Isn't there a fan translation out on it?

Why do so many people hate the party system?

Playing P5 and waiting for the Berseria PC release
Heard good things about Berseria