Dream horror game

Congratulations! You've been put in charge of developing a horror video game. Describe it here.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=y8cJPAfIwwo
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I make a walking simulator about how video games have progressively gotten worse over the last 15~ years

We're already living in the horror part.

Too meta. 2/10 Your project is cancelled to fund our pachinko machines.

One less walking simulator being produced, I still win ;)

The story begins with the main character entering a small town in the countryside of the good ol' US of A. The town seems normal enough until a day later and people start to rise from the dead and the city is quarantined by the Military. The main character throughout the game must make choices that will get the townsfolk killed regardless of what choice they make.

Fast forward to the end, the player will most likely begin to feel like the main character is not the good guy, and at the end of the game, the main character will get ripped apart by those he got killed promptly before the city is firebombed.

i would just grab kojima, deltoro and norman and we would make walking simulator

>The story
Stopped reading right here. Not a video game.

>game have gotten worse
but that's wrong

>horror game
>not story driven

It's Silent Hill 3

LSD Dream Emulator is scarier than any story driven """horror""" game

monsters can be defeated but not killed, they just get up again a little while later and become more aggressive, patrolling a larger area, harder to sneak past, and check most obvious hiding places
all enemies need AT LEAST two hits to kill you. Trying to run away while limping on low health is more horrifying than just being sent straight to the gameover screen
your character goes steadily insane over the course of the game. hallucination sections are designed to make the player feel like they are about to be attacked any second now. Sometimes they are in fact broken out of the hallucination by being attacked. other things include the map layout changing on the fly, coming out of a hallucination in a place you couldn't possibly have reached from where you were before,
the game is all about you trying to get to the bottom of a seemingly infinite dungeon, the layout of which defies all reason. like, one of the floors is just a giant white-sand beach. you go down a sinkhole and end up in an underground stone village. you go down further and end up on the top floor of a modern skyscraper.

also if you take to long to find the exit down to the next floor, the environment itself will try to kill you as well as the monsters. think like the ghost house from vtmb.

You exist in a nightmare where you can breathe under a vast ocean. No matter how long you try to swim upwards, you can never break the surface. There is only exploring the various caves, ruins, and wrecks on the bottom while avoiding the various eldritch predators that roam around.

Make a safe room only for saving the game.
And then i have an enemy attack you inside of it in the middle of the game, only once.

I like when shit like this happens. Its the perfect way of doing a jump scare.

>not having the save room turn out to be a spider monster at one point

Also, makes you nervous for the next safe rooms because you don't know if it will happen again.

would play. spooky underwater ruin exploration is virtually nonexistant in vidya.

game where monster chases you the entire game. be in the safe room for too long and the monster breaks in

Same shit with Elevators as well.
Fuck you system shock

>2016
>pressure still doesn't exist

I'd do my damnedest to try to rival the genius writing in the first four Silent Hill games.
Particularly the The Room, that game still floors me with how subtle it is.

>leave safe room
>go down elevator
>just as the doors are closing you glimps the safe-room sprout giant spider legs, get up and walk ahead, implying that every safe room in the game is just the same room running ahead of you

maybe subnautica 2 will deliver

Reverse horror game.

You play as a vampire who is hunted by humans. You have to avoid sunlight and weapons of humans. Mirrors and garlic reveals you. If the humans notice you're acting suspicious, they'll attack you.

>garlic
no one takes garlic seriously as a vampire weakness anymore. holy water and purifying salts are still fair game, though

Sounds like something a vampire would say, hmm.

how dare you. I love going outside and exposing my skin to UV rays until it darkens

You're on a spaceship in the middle of nowhere and a parasite has infected the crew, causing them to slowly causing them to go insane. You'll be in a normal conversation with them one second and then they'll break into dark and confusing dialogue the next.

At some point they'll turn against you and you barely escape their grasp. Now the crew will do anything to hunt you down and eliminate you.

Since the crew knows the ins and outs of the vessel, they can use every vent and part of the architecture to their advantage, using some of the features of the ship to catch you off guard and surprise you.

For example, firearms, while rare, can be found around the ship and the crew can fire them at you to make you run in the other direction, trapping you.
They can also put lethal medicines in incorrectly labeled bottles. You'll think you're taking a medical substance but you're actually taking something that could potentially kill you. Taking the wrong medicine could cause you to go insane, get dehydrated, fall asleep, or even talk nonstop.
They can imitate human voices to make you believe there's a survivor in the ship, drawing you into a trap.
The crew can close in on you and make noises that cause general panic and confusion, and while closing in, they'll suddenly stop.
The crew can also play music on the intercom or a radio out of seemingly nowhere.

A horror game shouldn't be about jumpscares, rather atmosphere and exposing the human's natural fear of being unarmed, unprepared and out in the open amidst an alien conflict on a desolate ship in the middle of nowhere.

Hire Hideo Kojima

I can't think of anything scarier than having to hire Kojima

You play as a single father that has to take care of his son's expensive cancer treatment, and you are *this* close to lose your job because you are always late because of how little time you have to sleep between your job, second job and taking care of your kid every night. Your daughter has been really depressed since her mother died in a car accident and you just found crack in her room.
Every night when you are able to sleep you have horrible nightmares where you are chased by horrible monsters and if you fail to survive in your dreams you get everyday more tired and stressed (if you fail too many times you will die of a heart attack in your sleep and would be forced to see what horrible fate your kid and daughter got once you died), but if you pass nightmare segments your luck in the real world will increase (like finding out your wife had money saved in the house for a vacation your family was supposed to take 3 years ago, or receiving a donation for your kid cancer treatment).
At the end you can get many finals depending of how well you did, and there's a secret worst ending where you are Anthony Church (We cant use is real name becaue of lawsuits), a failed writer that everyone hates

What about hiring one of the fallen trinity? or Sean Murray? or having your game to be rated by the Sarkeesian/Wu rating board before going gold?

ITT: people who have no knowledge or experience with the horror genre outside of RE, Silent Hill, youtuber bait games, and found footage flicks of the past decade. If this is representative of gamers who are horror "fans" then its no wonder horror in games is stuck in a rut, since you're all so damn narrow-minded.

I honestly think people give Inafune waaay too much shit. He may not be the one that made the original Mega Man sprite, but he did the illustrations that breathed life into the cast, headed development for years, made Zero (and was deeply involved in the MM Zero games which are the best in the series), etc.

If you look at him in the post-launch interviews, he looks incredibly defeated, because he is disappointed with the outcome of the game. (The "better than nothing" comment came from the translator, but everybody rolled with it being Inafune to shit on him.) Sure it was mismanaged (it was in simultaneous development for 12 platforms at once rather than making a master copy and downporting, which really hindered development.) And he was probably a bit overzealous with the goals he had set for MN9. However, I genuinely believe he does care. I met him several years ago (before the Legends 3 debacle) and told him how much I loved the Zero games, and he lit up with pride and joy.
I still have faith. I'm hopeful for Red Ash.

youtube.com/watch?v=y8cJPAfIwwo

>I honestly think people give Inafune waaay too much shit
Fuck off Inajew

>I still have faith.
And this is the kind of stupid people that make the megaman fanbase, look at him, look at him really hard and accept that as long as people like him exist publishers and developers will continue to release shit after shit, because there's always a bunch of retards fool enough to buy the game

>Postal 2: apocalypse weekend

I feel like the "link" guy should be here anytime now.

Atom Zombie Smasher 2 with HD photorealistic-style graphics and online multiplayer. The entire game is now experienced through first-person perspective, where every 'merc' is a player on the field, accessing the tactical map as an in-world item. Players must actually crew the artillery, must actually snipe and soldier, must actually fly the helicopter on rounds saving the civilians, etc. (obviously the merc roster will have to be refined, things like dynamite and landmines replaced with new alternatives). The horror comes from being immersed into the world of the original (defined by pyrrhic victories and total loses on an epic scale), now as just another of the walking statistics.

Is this Shrek for the original Xbox?

>Mentally ill guy with shitty childhood is haunted by memories and demons he created
>Keeps waking up at 3 AM; has recurring nightmares that gets so bad that he can't tell reality apart at times
>In said nightmares, he finds himself in mostly familiar places - although distorted; mixed-and-mashed together
>Sometimes turning around may teleport you somewhere else (preferably seamlessly, otherwise fuck it)
>Of course it's inspired by Silent Hill and the monsters he encounters are manifestations of his psyche/feelings/whatever
>Cliche environments; asylum, school, hospital, his home, back and forth, etc. with areas that become extremely abstract; fleshy - walls of eyes, arms, faces - the worst part being towards the end in one of the dreams
>You wake up with no skin; just bare flesh, in a hallway littered with aborted fetuses and sunlight blinding you from above, burning you - each step you take, hearing the crunching and squishing sound of each little corpse around your feet
>Yatta-yatta I'm lazy with details but cliche story I guess; protagonist gets his shit together and overcomes his demons woop-dee-fuckin'-doo
>There are a couple of characters to help guide him through the darkness
Oh and yeah, multiple endings of course. I had said recurring nightmares back when I was like 11, and drew some of what I experienced. I lost the digital copies of some of what I drew - too lazy to dig them out of the garage and photograph/scan them but here's some of what I still have on my computer. Bummer. But yeah, wanted to make a game out of it all these years. Sorta did some level designs with SketchUp but lost them years ago when muh drive became kill.
>Too lazy to finish writing the whole storyline in detail and realize I'll never make it in the vidya industry anyway, besides it's shit and no doubt it would probably get butchered from my vision because it may get too violent/disturbing or whatever.