Whats the appeal of this game? Why is it so popular when others are much better than it?

Whats the appeal of this game? Why is it so popular when others are much better than it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RcJTTbIJgx8
youtube.com/watch?v=AxM7KSYTcPI&list=PL455BCC0CF35009AC
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Because 2 mediocre games combined into one = best game ever.

what are "the others"
inb4 ristar

Hey man that's what I always say. Sonic 3 is roughly half shit. Sonic and Knuckles is pretty shit overall. But then people pretend its a brand new game once they're smashed together under the guise of "more content" when its just the same shitty levels from each game played in succession. The levels, gimmicks, and music just sucks compared to others, and if going for the "content" excuse then the 3D games, like Adventure, heroes, Unleashed, and Generations have much more of that too.

Other sonic games

Bump, looking to see why this is someones favorite sonic

Sonic & Knuckles is way better

I find that one to be way worse, its almost ireedemable outside of flying battery which is iffy most of the time with those shitty magnet chains

It really isn't hard to see why people would consider it the best classic Sonic game. The gameplay is the same but with more features: Sonic has a new insta-shield ability and elemental shield abilities that compliment the core gameplay. Tails can fly and swim, differentiating himself from Sonic and adding a variation on the core gameplay without, and this is important, making it completely different like Adventure games did. It also added a third playable character that can climb and glide, again adding a variation on the core gameplay without making it completely different. There were more levels than any single previous game before it, although obviously it cheated a bit with it being two games in one, and each level was larger than previous levels: a single S3&K act could be as big as an entire S2 zone. The special stages rewarded exploration and were better than S2 half-pipes, while the signposts still gave out a variety of bonus stages that put the player in some optional fun minigames that gave them rewards. Finally, the game interjected a bit of story that didn't get in the way of the gameplay, while also flowing a lot better, with act 2 of each zone starting where act 1 ended and each zone having an actual transition from one to the next, give the player a firm sense of progress across the imaginary world.

The only flaws were the graphics, and some really rushed and unpolished level design, especially everything after Flying Battery.

the menu design has never NEVE NEVER BEEN TOPPED

I like it because it's the last game I remember playing while my parents were still married and life was okay

A lot of this stuff is minuscule in overall detail and what it adds. Bigger levels dont automatically make them better either, especially in old 2D games where everything is reused and looping for 6 or 7 minutes. About the only improvement I can agree with is that it has the best special stages of the originals. Everything else thats an "upgrade" either sucks or doesn't do anything major

>cd is a fuck mess for level design
>2 is literal right to win
>original has shit ton of flaws
3 is the least offensive of all of the games

CD is my favorite, 2 is my second favorite and I think you are wrong. Linear levels are good and it lets them focus on good obstacles instead of making a bunch of dead ends and putting in a box of rings there so autists call it "exploration"

>A lot of this stuff is minuscule in overall detail and what it adds.
Maybe, but even if that's true the combined effect of many small improvements is still notable, and most importantly it doesn't detract from the core gameplay that people already loved. You don't need to make major changes to a product that was already good.

I'd also be interested in a more detailed answer as to what you thought sucked, aside from the level design which I already mentioned as a flaw.

It's flat-out better than Sonic 2 (a game that generally drops the ball and doesn't recover a bit more than halfway through) or Sonic 1 (a game that looks good, sounds good, but makes me want to skip levels all the time -- S2 doesn't make me feel this way, even the bits of it I really hate, like Metropolis act 3).

Sonic & Knuckles is literally the better half, and the only particularly bad part of the game is Sandopolis's 2nd act being a bit annoying.

The core gameplay only works as good as the levels allow it to. I find that the game just feels like work more than play. Its frustrating, the level gimmicks and enemies, the hazard placements. The only other sonic game I have this problem with is 1. Sonic having a shield and a new character that climbs up a wall doesnt pardon all this, im sorry. I also find the music to be really annoying and just generally kind of shitty. Whenever i rarely play it, its always with other music on in the background. I also hate how every level has a boss since the only times sonic had fun bosses was rush and unleashed. Since everything repeats itself often I also get lost frequently. This all just ties in to the game feeling more like work than playing something, just an irritating game all around

I find this to be an incredibly "adult" attitude, in the sense that kids don't give a shit and have fun regardless.

Not sure if i follow. Are you saying that fans of this one are kids and overlook it? I have a little brother who ive unfortunately also made a sonic fan and even he thinks this one is shit so i know im not alone which is a start. I'm just seeing if i will ever find my own answer and figure out the mystery of why this everyones, sonic fans, normalfags, youtubers, favorite sonic game when its such a drag to play and listen to

This.

People fell for the S3&K gimmick

>Are you saying that fans of a colorful cartoon animal game designed for kids also happen to be kids?
I mean, I know Sonic's adult audience has a well-deserved reputation for autism, but its target demographic has always been elementary school boys.

That may be the target but sonic honestly appeals to all ages. Hes very charismatic and the idea of him and his gameplay sounds awesome but is rarely executed right. Sonics been a mess since the 2010s

Hydrocity Act 2

People are telling you why people like S3&K and your only response is "nuh uh, I don't like it so everyone else must not like it either"

No I see that but its just the reasons seem very shallow and superficial. I know CD and unleashed fans are more of the vocal parts of the community and they express why those are their favorites much better, whereas everywhere else were just supposed to accept sonic 3k as the best with no challenge against it

Literally the only complain is level design and people in Sonic's target demographic don't care about looking at level design critically.

Honestly, the only reason I prefer it over 1 and 2 is because of the music and Sonic's sprite.

So its mainly 10-15 year olds on the internet that say its the best, now its starting to make more sense

This.

People consider S3&K the best Sonic game because there are no Sonic games better than it. And there aren't. Which ones would be? You can complain about S3&K's level design all you want but when that's the only real complaint it's immediately better than every other Sonic game because that's not a high standard to meet.

It's the last canon Sonic game you fucking retard.

Endgame is really fun with super + hyper modes for not just Sonic, but Tails and Knuckles too. As far as I know, no other Sonic game has ever done that.

YOU HAVE 10 SECONDS TO POST SOMETHING MORE FUCKING FIRE THAN THE SONIC 3 COMPETITION MENU
youtube.com/watch?v=RcJTTbIJgx8

What an ugly menu.

>Which ones would be?
Generations/Colours, etc.

Chrome Gadget Zone

youtube.com/watch?v=AxM7KSYTcPI&list=PL455BCC0CF35009AC

boost2win in general takes away any form of meaningful gameplay and turns the game into a glorified endless runner. Generations specifically had extremely short and mostly uninteresting levels, not to mention how badly they fucked up classic gameplay. Colors was stupidly blocky, the wisps were a gimmick that detracted from the core gameplay instead of adding to it, and 2/3 of the levels were tiny one-note acts that could be beaten in 30 seconds each.

There is no meaningful gameplay in any sonic game. If the new ones are boost2win, then the old ones are holdrightuntilyouhitwall/spike/enemy2win

Glad we agree that the franchise has been nothing but turds, but that still makes S3&K the most polished turd in the bowl.

>boost2win
>I've never played generations or colours

coulda just said that and saved us both some time

Not even close, game is nowhere near being the funnest one. That would go to sonic advance or sonic unleashed or some shit but definitely not 3k

100%ed both, but nice try.

Your argument basically boils down to "I don't like thing".