Is it just me or games became shittier and shittier every year to the point where there is nothing to play anymore...

is it just me or games became shittier and shittier every year to the point where there is nothing to play anymore except older titles? There is nothing to look forward, and all the new tripple A releases feel really dull and boring, i can't tell if i am just getting old (25 soon) or whether the devs all stopped trying creating anything worthwhile. is it even worth getting ps4 pro, i've been playing on pc my entire life but there wasn't anything good to play on it for years now and i feel like ps4 might get some decent exclusives soon while pc is all about indie garbage.

Other urls found in this thread:

interactive.org/images/press_release/19th-DICE-Awards-Winners-Release-FINAL-2-18-16.pdf
interactive.org/awards/2016_19th_awards.asp
youtube.com/watch?v=8rG9td_vVDI
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just you

>is it just me or games became shittier and shittier every year
nope -- they're gettin' shittier

in line with IQ decline, that is, because anything that requires neural investment, by its very nature, must be diluted, dumbed down and diminished in order for it to meet the lowly level of those it must indulge and pander to

Yes, but I don't care because I literally own thousands of games and many different consoles going back over two decades. I'm sure there are plenty of games coming out that I would like if I looked hard enough. But it's not worth the effort of digging through shit.

ITT: "WAH JUSTIFY MY JADED CYNICISM ISN'T EVERYTHING NEW SHIT?"
Yes, you're different from your parents who couldn't assimilate to the digital age and you're also smarter than everyone younger than you!
Wrong, you're actually a fucking retard incapable of adapting to change.

I find a lot of the time most people making AAA games now a days are people who failed to get into Hollywood or 3D animation studios and treat video games as something to "settle for" as a backup.

>I eat shit and smile

dude, go to bed.

>But it's not worth the effort of digging through shit.
pretty much this

given the option of taking one format to play while stranded on a deserted island, I'd take PC / emulators

Yes, a poop analogy will bring your old games back.
Keep living in the past faggot, I'm glad I'm not some delusional nostalgiafaggot clinging to my childhood because I failed at being an adult.

>failed at being an adult
you're the one who is sounding like a 15 year old edgelord or a 35 year old basement dweller with that attitude of yours
enjoy your shit games like no mans sky and episodic hitman

way to prove my point.

I can count the games I'm actually anticipating on a single hand. But I have the entire Wii and earlier library to emulate, so I'll probably never run out of backlog.

I don't think games are getting shitty, I just think I played too many and got burned out.

Do you just not go out much or something?

Yes because E.T. and Superman 64 never happened.
No old game was ever shit.
Just new games.
Also the new Hitman isn't half bad, I bet your ONLY argument against it is "I-it's got a release strategy I don't like!" because you know, you're afraid of anything new.
Way to add nothing and pretend you're contributing.

>to the point where there is nothing to play anymore except older titles?
I hit this point a while ago desu
most of the games I play are older, if not retro

the only exceptions are the occasional indie game/CRPG

if you do "too much" of anything, it will affect you adversely

a gamer doesn't lose their interest in the hobby unless the hobby changes to such an extent it no longer resembles what hooked them in the first place or, as said, one plays too much in too short a period of time (...and keeps playing the same types of shallow games)

Pretty much.
I have no friends that I didn't meet online, and most live in other countries. I pretty much do nothing but sit at my PC all day, playing games and watching videos, or being here. I don't feel unhappy generally, though, and I'm planning on getting out more soon so I can get a job and visit some of those friends. /blog

I don't think games are necessarily shitty compared to years ago. I think they are significantly more flawed, homogeneous, and just good ole fashioned boring, but not terrible. Just worse. I think our standards have risen significantly, and getting a better sense of how entitled gaming devs had become, along with how shady and risk-averse producers have become, we're starting to see new flaws, but also a lot of old flaws we didn't notice.

Dungeon of the Endless is pretty good. Not sure why no one talks about it.

>You're either too old to be playing videogames or you're too young to criticize me.
Wow bro you're totally not being unreasonable, only 20 somethings are allowed to speak to you or they're old farts or children.

It's also that a lot of recent games are either sequels or rehashes of concepts already done. If a game adds something new, or at least something not done often, I'm more likely to be interested in it. Not guaranteed though, it has to be a new thing I'm actually interested in.

>Yes because E.T. and Superman 64 never happened.
reducatio ad absurdum, retardio

the RATIO of good games to poor ones has widened (in the favour of the latter), in-keeping with film and how the digital world has made any fucktard with an iPhony a budding Spielberg

"indie", facilitate by Steam et al., in this sense, has allowed trashware to flourish -- as have the removed need for physical copies of films allowed the effluent to flow free i that medium, and indeed, music to become a karaoke fest through the agency of the reality T.V. """talent""" search programs

He was making an observation not an assumption.

that's, again, a product of the digitised era, where it's much, much easier to reproduce (read: REHASH) an intellectual property than to remake it from scratch

...which is ironical for gaming specifically, because sprite-based games were arduous to produce, yet originality came in no short supply back in the pastime's halcyon days

I guess, it fundamentally comes down to laziness and greed -- having to get products out as fast as possible in order to make as much money as possible (...and the crowd now being far less discerning - casual - exacerbates the problem that much more)

>Cherrypick
>Get counter cherrypicked
>"F-F-FALLACY"
Also stating the ratio of good to bad games have widened when you have the hindsight and word of mouth to work out which older games are shit and not shit when that's not as readily available on release of a new game just shows me you have no idea what you're rambling about.
Why don't you look up some release lists of those consoles you love so much from 1999, and see how many titles you don't remember because you never touched them, because they were garbage.
It's tough to pretend to be an intellectual and have a bias based on the date something was manufactured, it actually makes you look fucking stupid if anything.

>too much of anything is not a good thing

eat too much carrots and your organs will turn yellow and fail (*true story)

IQ is declining?

He's making more sense then you're currently.

I'm sure he is, considering he's with you in being a delusional ape that's concerned with trying to relive his childhood.

>in line with IQ decline
on this board maybe

>the games I like aren't good anymore
>I keep trying them but they're bad
Maybe you should try some different games, you dingaling.

SNES and PS1 libraries were full of shovelware.

>the RATIO of good games to poor ones has widened (in the favour of the latter)

Stop lying to yourself. We both know the ammount of shovelware that was released back then.

Can't tell him that, he already knows which games are the shit on SNES and PS1, so since he has no risk of picking out a bad game anymore clearly it was the golden age of videogames and nothing bad ever released in that period.

>no idea what you're rambling about.
when crapclown rehashed the SF arcade games, each iteration had at lest SOMETHING to offer... even if it was just a couple more characters of balance tweaks etc...
SFV, by comparison (and in relation to IV), is an utter turd and akin to a whole new IP in "alpha"... including its shite gameplay

when nintoddler released a new Mario game, it almost always surpassed its predecessors...
when crapclown released a new RE (up and including 4), it always lived up to or improved the formula

flash forward to Wii, Wii-U / RE7, Umbrella Corps, Lost Planet 3... and you can see the diminution in quality of comparative titles

>IQ is declining?

just an observation... feel free to "correct the record"

not him but,
i can name tons of classics that are masterpieces by todays standards
while we still get the occasional bloodborne or fallout new vegas i really struggle to find a lot of games that would be considered classics 10 years from now

given this is a U.$. centric board... you're not wholly wrong

>All of those spelling errors.
>Ellipsis
>Shit sentence structure
>"Le reaction image you're retarded XD"
I'm not going to bother reading your drivel because it's hurting my eyes.
You're literally just rambling now and in a state of permanent nostalgiamad.
I'm sure someone else will be here to tell me that ""He's" right tho" so don't worry you don't have to reply to me twice.

>Not him but.
>Same lack of capitalization
>Same Enter spacing for sentences.

>crapclown
>nintoddler
haha fucking epic dude

this dudes tooth pick dick.

my fucking sides.

I still love playing games. I'm just so busy with adult life that I don't have time. I am like 30 games for my Wii U and xbone each, and 1100 games on Steam which 70% are unplayed. I still have unplayed games from last generation. I want to play but I might have to wait until I retire

>only 21 and i've reached this point
>don't want to buy any games but also don't want to pirate them
>don't want to play games or sit around all day on my pc
>every day that i don't go to work or spend all day sitting at my computer I feel shitty that i wasted all that time
WHATS HAPPENING TO ME!?

>shovelware that was released back then.
no one's saying there weren't poor games... but consider the following:

>poor comparative hardware and game-making tools
>far more time-consuming development processes (e.g., drawing sprites)
>far smaller budgets
>gaming was a niche "for kids" pastime back then
>gaming was almost exclusive to restrictive consoles
>very little to zero consumer feedback as to development processes (beyond sale numbers)
>no free or pay-to-test "alpha" and "beta" scams
>no "early access" business models that allowed for one hand on the eject leaver
>nowhere near the film media tie-in potential of games today (to draw upon for ideas etc.)

there really is no comparison... sizing up 80's / 90's gaming against today, is tantamount to comparing telegraph technology to optical fibre -- apples and dog turds

You forgot your "Not him but"

same kind of, i only have enough mental energy to play games on the weekend

They're getting shittier. I've gotten to the point where I've dug out my old nes/snes/n64/gcn/ps2/ps3 out of the basement. Enjoying pic related at the moment.

>discursive Internet text Nazism on a moving, largely un-archived image board, 99% populated by autists

learn to lose with dignity or do not enter the race

>Samefagging.
We're hitting new lows.

>so busy with adult life
we don't stop playing because we grow old -- we grow old because we stop playing

No, games are pretty much as shit as they used to be, just in different ways.
Like, graphics and UI are a lot better nowadays, but we also get a lot of DLC and other assorted cancers.

But I think there's a problem with comparing games that have such a huge difference in budget.
Play some smaller titles instead of the usual AAA stuff and you'll find there are new experiences.

you score higher than that??... and can still tolerate still loitering here?!

impressive

Have you ever got so mad your grammar and word usage started to degrade to facebook levels?

Videogaming now has just become more of a familarizing routine.
Anyone who's played games long enough start to notice that.
Shift to sprint
Press E to interact and such.
But most games now fundamentally play the same with just new neat little mechanics that make the game stand out from the rest.
Games back in older days sort of felt like a new experience because everything was unique at the time.

You're a fucking dullard.

>old
>25
You should take your own life, friend

>alot
>hugely
>bigly
>Aleppo... wut?!
>"could" care less...

funny you should focus on this, give I'm usually mocked at Straight Dope for my fondness for 'sesquipedalian' use...

fret not -- for when WW3 soon starts, I will be the 'Himmler' to the autist

>it's not about humanity, it's about the species

nope

interactive.org/images/press_release/19th-DICE-Awards-Winners-Release-FINAL-2-18-16.pdf

There's nothing wrong with standardized controls for similar games.
That's like complaining that platformers on the NES used A to jump.

The problem arises when you start playing a game and it feels completely derivative, without even a semblance of uniqueness in gameplay substance or visual style..

>EbolAID's Battlefront
>Tomb Raider: QTE Edition
>Super Mario Maker
>MKX (...kek!)
>Helldivers
>Witcher, Witcher, Witcher, Witcher...

is this some April Fool's Edition GOTY list?

no

interactive.org/awards/2016_19th_awards.asp

youtube.com/watch?v=8rG9td_vVDI

One word: Recession

You notice how a lot of movies are starting to just be sequels, reboots, and remakes? It's because people don't want to shell out money on a risk. Also the average person who has a limited income is more likely going to go watch a movie they're pretty certain they'll enjoy(super hero movies, remakes of stuff when they were a kid) then a movie they're unfamiliar with.

Same with video games. People don't want to shell out money on a risk and gamers(the casual market) gravitate to things they'll know they like because of limited income.

We're getting more games like each other because they're a safe investment.

>implying all fighting games don't have the same QCF motion for fireballs
>implying smash is a fighting game

>Recession
yep. thanks Iraq War.

i am living fairly comfortable with my gf, have a full time job, and have plenty of things to look forward
thanks for your input friend.

kind of a rhetorical question, but...

I blame the war on drugs.

>implying smash is a fighting game
>implying something that would never be implied by and rational person with a functioning brain

̶f̶i̶g̶h̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶g̶a̶m̶e̶
>BRAWLER

Smash is a party game that's about fighting. That's what it's intent was.

gaming will be great again

>import low IQ third worlders
>hurr durr why is the national IQ "declining"

We're past that point, Everyday is the Apocalypse and I fucking love it.

That's one reason.

>you're literally just rambling
>I didn't read your post however

maybe OP realized ps3/ps4 games are just upgraded ps2 games he played as a kid.

seriously gameplay has been the same since 6th gen. graphics are only thing thats better

No, it's not just you.
The board is full of plenty other sad, jaded people like yourself.
Videogames are doing just fine though.

After playing the first two to death, Witcher 3 killed modern video games for me it was so shitty . I'm fucking done not giving on more dollar to this fucking industry

i agree with almost everything but the "indie garbage" part, indie games are usually made by people who grew up playing games and care more about fun than money
you must be referring specifically to walking simulators or something

No. It only feels that way because you only remember the good titles from the past. There was just as much crap coming out in the past, they are just for the large part forgotten in lieu of the greats.

The one thing that keeps my barometer in check is that the single best game to come out EVER, came out in 2015 aka The Witcher 3. You can disagree if you like, but it raised the bar for so many aspects of video games its insane.

As for other promising titles that are out or are soon to come out, there's Quantum Break which should be excellent if not for the impaired release (the game itself should be exceptionally high quality) and Dishonored 2.

Ever since 2014 games have been getting away with being released unfinished and short on content because all these stupid fucks keep preordering and buying into hype.

That's why games are shit now. They know all they need to do is market it and people will buy it. Just look at how many PS4s were sold vs how many worthwhile games there are on the console.

It's because you aren't a Nintendo fan, OP.

Come play with us.