Should I?

Should I?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0
youtube.com/watch?v=bXDoKgKMVvY
youtu.be/XlHZrBUimuY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Be my guest, 'kay?

combat is fun but oh god everyone is stupid and retarded, think mass effect but anime and with an interesting combat and a more retarded cast than ever

no
i mean yes

I wouldn't recommend. The combat is hilariously barebones and mashy. Exploration is mostly mashing the dash button to run across giant, completely empty fields. The plot and characters are so hateable and this is actually a cutscene in the game
youtube.com/watch?v=kNauq6_9iP0

combat is fun and the ost is really good

god there is no reason to play this game with the english dub

What about Star Ocean 5?

Star Ocean V is objectively worse than Star Ocean IV in every way, I would just suggest you stick with Last Hope and avoid Star Ocean V because I've heard NOTHING good about it.

The main story is about 20 hours long, the side missions are redundant, combat isn't even that good, the field areas are empty and lifeless, etc.

It's really really dull. I bought the thing years ago and have tried to get into it many times, the combat is terribly boring and the VO is terrible. So unless something about the style is really interesting or you just want a jrpg to grind away at, no.

its awful but god damn did i enjoy it

So is not even worth it for the booty?Damn shame.

Dunno how they managed to fuck up so bad with the last two Star Ocean games.

Yes, the combat is great. Just don't play as Edge as he's one of the more boring characters. All the rest are great except maybe the mages.

That ass is the only good thing about V, but definitely not worth more than maybe twenty bucks.

>square enix
No.

Yes, and make sure you play it in dub.

Lymle's voice is cute af, 'kay.

>Star Ocean V is objectively worse than Star Ocean IV in every way
What an overstatement. The characters in 5 are 10x better than the ones in 4. And both games have flaws with their combat systems, just different ones. 4 is ruined by blindsides making every fucking boss fight play exactly the same while 5 is ruined by being a bit stiffer and having easily spammable moves that make combat repetitive.

Guess I'll wait for bargain bin

It's actually an overall better game than SO5.

But overall can you honestly say V is more fun than IV? I think only a select few really enjoyed V to the fullest, guess it depends on the person I suppose.

I really have not heard anything positive about Star Ocean V.

star ocean 5 literally is not that bad, stop parroting because i can fucking guarantee that 95% of you faggots never played it

4 is more fun than 5 because it edges out on combat and not having unskippable cutscenes. But they're both pretty mediocre games and OP should play 2 or 3 instead.

Sure! Just know that the story is rather retarded; if you know anything about the series you'll be laughing at the idiocies in the game. If you're a melee player, go with the loli-kitty until you get the reaper wanna-be. If you like ranged warfare, go with robodork until you get Queen Tits. Don't skip Private Actions, a lot of them are genuinely funny and can lead to interesting endings.

Which version of 2: PS, or PSP?

Hell, which version of the first game.

why 2 or 3?

why not 1,2 and 3? why even 3 at all, especially if cutscenes are a big deal since it has several insanely long ones, which yes you can skip, but why would you??

i have never played the psp versions of either, but i have the ps copies and can tell you that they have aged very well

Its pretty good for a Star Ocean.

now that 5 is out, 4 is like a masterpiece

>All these nice things about 4
Wow what happened Cred Forums? Did you hate 5 that much? I defended 4 in almost every star ocean thread. This is a nice change.
I have shit taste, I really enjoyed both.

you fucking do you motherfucker but thats ok since you admit it like how i enjoyed sonic 06

Cred Forums does this shit all the time. just play it yourself and find out.

after awhile the hivemind forgets why they blindly hated something

I'm really close to getting SO5 Cred Forums.

I need a game.

Resonance of Fate or SO5? Really need an answer on this.

I will never forget the games that i hate because of their retarded design choices

RoF, that game has no plot though and the combat gets repetitive after a few hours but its much better than SO5

>why even 3 at all
3 was great. I get that people were all fanny flustered about the twist but even with that the game was amazing.

>that game has no plot
Really? I can't easily go back from playing Trails to that kind of setup. Hmm.

God Eater 2: Rage Burst

>$60.

I can easily get SO5 and another game with it right now.

I know you're gonna say GE2 has GE1, but still.

Yep, chapters are like mini stories and no branching plot. Its great though

But you get two ga-

I'd recommend you spend that money on something that isn't SO5.

Watch some walkthroughs first if you are really looking to get it, once I did I lost all interest because the gameplay looked flat and boring.

>Star Ocean V is objectively worse than Star Ocean IV in every way
That entire alternate Earth arc in Star Ocean: The Last Hope ring a bell? Star Ocean V was mediocre/good until you have to rescue a certain party member. Everything after that was garbage.

Nappy time.

But seriously, this game's story is complete ass. The characters are all insultingly generic and one dimensional, and a couple of them are downright unbearable. You can see the "plot twist" of a final villain coming from a mile away, and I was still pissed off. The combat system is alright, I guess.

For the love of God, no. Avoid this shit at all costs if you like SO in any form.

I always defended SO4 to an extent in Cred Forums threads as well. The combat is really addicting to me and honestly I find it the best in the series. It has a lot of flaws outside of the combat for sure, but you have so much fun mashing buttons and wrecking mobs that you kind of power through it. The endgame content was pretty solid too, though I only ever beat the first form of Ethereal Queen, I didn't really want to grind that 20 floor dungeon multiple times.

Is this on psnow yet?

Hmmm. Well really almost everyone really says that SO5 fails or something.

Even this guys says it. And as far as I know, he really knows what he is talking about when it comes to Star Ocean.

youtube.com/watch?v=bXDoKgKMVvY

Guess I'll just get RoF or something.

>Edge Maverick
I honestly cannot think of a worse name for a character.

I'll say that I love the SO series, I've put over 200 hours into SO4, probably over 100 into SO3, and I really wanted to like SO5. It's just bland and boring. You can tell they had almost no budget given for this game and it was only made to cater to a small percentage of people.

Clearly you never played Rogue Galaxy.

>Jaster Rogue
really, Japan? Really?

Ahh fine fine, you guys made your point clear.

Jesus, looks like I'll just have to look up stuff in the PS3 then.

I played from beginning to end, including all the optional content. Skipped part of the last optional dungeon due to repetitiveness though.

5 sucks. Camera was weird, story was nothing special, characters were overall good but weren't fleshed out enough (even though Private Actions were hilarious at times), graphics were ok, OST was meh.

Then they decided to rehash a bunch of stuff, enemies, items, music, abilities, skills, etc.

Then they SOMEHOW fucked the combat up, even though it's the only thing SO was known for.

And that made SO5 my worst game of the year so far.

Pic related was the only good thing that came from it.

>>>
>Anonymous 10/01/16(Sat)22:27:37 No.353525320▶
>19:39 No.353524814▶
> Should I?
>>>
>Anonymous 10/01/16(Sat)22:21:33 No.353524931▶
> (OP)
> Be my guest, 'kay?
>>>
>Anonymous 10/01/16(Sat)22:22:43 No.353525009▶
> (OP)
> combat is fun but oh god everyone is stupid and retarded, think mass effect but anime and with an interesting combat and a more retarded cast than ever
>>>
>Anonymous 10/01/16(Sat)22:23:49 No.353525081▶
> (OP)
> no
> i mean yes
>>>
>Anonymous 10/01/16(Sat)22:24:53 No.353525154▶
> I wouldn't recommend. The combat is hilariously barebones and mashy. Exploration is mostly mashing the da

How does something like this pass? I mean, none of the other voice actors are as bad as Lymle. Is the japanese version this bad too, does she talk slow and sound like she's mentally retarded?

If you like 90% of the game being sidequests and running through the same 5 maps for the entire game, then sure, its not that bad.

How in the fuck...

And no, Jap VAs are good. 99% of JRPGs don't bother hiring good english VAs (not to mention there aren't that many of them out there) so you end up with poop. Lots of poop.

I never understood how people like this series.
At least Valkyrie Profile had some sort of variation.
It's literally Spam One Button: The Game.
You open up the menu to use items or make characters to use specific skills, how anyone it's more braindead than KH.

what the actual fuck were they thinking?

this makes FF XIII cutscenes look interesting.

>kay? kay? kay?
fucking what the fuck

You can make every game sound like that. Go ahead and try playing KH2 on level 1, then come back to me.

Why does Star Ocean get the budget?

It's like there is a line on what a budget should be given to this type of game (ex. $1 million) but Star Ocean is given a budget below that line (ex. $700k) or something.

youtu.be/XlHZrBUimuY
This is a pretty good one too, even if it isn't Star Ocean

Whos the fucktard that thought defending is a good mechanic for so5?
Blindslide >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Defend

Do you remember when Star Ocean 3 was almost the best game fucking ever if it just didn't get you stuck for 50 hours on that one mideval planet, and even considering that and the terrible story and dialogue it was still fun as hell to play?

What the hell happened to this franchise?

>games take place in a future where space travel is possible
>spend 99% of the games on medieval level planets

SO3 pissed me off the most because the neighboring country to Airyglyph/Aquaria on Elicoor was far more advanced than the rest of the planet and you never get to see it.

>spend 99% of the games on medieval level planets

Every single Star Ocean game is like that.

No, play 1 and 2 for the PSP. The combat is a little simplistic but fun and the game is meant to be replayable as you can not acquire every character in one playthrough. And it's better than those horrible dubs and characters 3 and 4 had.

hence my point of saying gameS

>rented the PSP port of 2
>had to return it a bit later so I downloaded an end-game save to see what it was like
>it was just the party member chasing the final boss like a chicken with their head cut off while he does a cutscene attack every 20 seconds

this shit looks stupid

I don't like the character designs and voices. Everyone looks and sounds like they have potato syndrome.

>play a bunch of Tales games
>on a JRPG kick
>see this in a shop for £7.99
>have heard good things about Star Ocean

To go straight from Tales of Symphonia to this was such a weird sensation. All I want is a good JRPG.

Which game was the one where it turns out they were inside an MMO?

Did not see that. 4 was probably the only game that actually did Star Trek shit. Too bad it's the worst game in the series. I actually got into the series because of 4 and ended up enjoying 1&2 because of that. Blogpost over.

If you have a 360 or a hacked PS3 you should play Tales of Vesperia.

>Tales of Symphonia

Did you enjoy the hot coffee?

I remember I think I chose(?) that blue haired girl for SO3's ending. Who's actually the real main interest? I already forgot,

Till the End of Time.

Y-yes I did

The other girl in that picture.

>tfw enjoyed V

People saying 4 is good now amazes me. That game is putrid.

>not Anne
kys

I loved the shit out of SO4. The combat is amazingly satisfying, especially in post-game.

SO5 would've been much better if they didn't simplify the combat to the floor.

Alright, so I've just gotten myself a copy of SO4 International. I've only finished SO1 on the PSP, and currently playing SO2 on PSP as well.

Are the private actions at least entertaining in SO4?

They're ok. Just make sure you play with goddamn Japanese voices. I think the biggest reason why people hate SO4 is because they played with the horrible dub.

I've heard it's bad, but I actually have yet to listen to the English voices in SO4. Surely it can't be that horrible.