What is the purpose of this weapon?

What is the purpose of this weapon?

Why does the Scout need a weapon that causes knockback?

Distraction?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9970dxQ2g
youtube.com/watch?v=perlMwbcGmo
youtube.com/watch?v=XjYAWJ5k-TQ
youtube.com/watch?v=-7ELtvuffvY
youtube.com/watch?v=QFCorzv1dUE
youtube.com/watch?v=RT-j14kFvZE
youtube.com/watch?v=8DlNiXa9LaU
youtube.com/watch?v=dzMq5_thk4o
youtube.com/watch?v=yzQEPECul2s
youtube.com/watch?v=XJmu_Q0uRgU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

inb4 everyone tells you to play Overwatch

it was good for approximately 5 days after it came out and then valve nerfed it

play overwatch

>playing scout

fan jumping gave you more mobility.

It was good in CTF maps to get people out of your way if you were flag carrying.

now I'm getting sad remembering when TF2 had an actual, distinct artstyle

It fucks your shit up if you are close to any clif/hole

I hate that shit on Nucleos

Extra jump, Immediate change in momentum for juking and dodging, knocking enemies away from their medic, getting too close to a overhealed pyro/heavy/soldier and needing some breathing room. Also its fun.

I always wished it was a better weapon for how stupidly satisfying it was to launch people's dead bodies after they got blasted by it in the face or back. Shame it's not a 2 shot high powered boomstick and just a piece of gimmicky garbage instead.

>not a 2 shot high powered boomstick
I mean it still hits like a truck, and farts those two rounds out faster than any other shotgun save the other double barrel

It does more damage than a Scattergun for a meatshot.
The problem is the reload speed and only having two shots means anything less is inferior.

However, I find it's particularly handy when pushing the payload or rushing to capture as you can just punt people off the point. Your reload speed won't matter if you have one other scout and it's final point, they just lost without dying.

only reason for it is the extra mobility that is essentially third jump.
But otherwise it still is somewhat decent at weaker classes with single backshot crit.
if you're any good you can kill bunch of people via environmental deaths/height.

>Why does the Scout need a weapon that causes knockback?
Knocking someone back with it disrupts their movement and sets them up for an easy second shot. It's a strong weapon.

Here's the thing about the scout.
He's not going to skirmish often. He's going to harass with a pistol or flank for a meatshot.

Scout's really only good if you can co-ordinate a swarm well for an early lead on control points or using his 2x capture rate in general. However since Pain Train exists then yeah he's mostly useful for bullet damage when heavies are banned/restricted.

Oh fuck I remember the early days with this, you two-shot a soldier no problem.

It's an easier weapon for newer players when it comes to dealing a powerful spike of damage. But it's overall less effective than the other guns.

When I was starting off I found I did better as a Scout with the FAN because I'd be able to give people a double blast for 125-150 damage pretty easily, but I generally died horribly afterward. Eventually I got better with the normal scattergun and was far better overall.

I guess you didn't even bother finding out just how much damage per shot it actually does. Barring that it's also great for mobility and great for causing enviromental deaths.

What was the best update and why was it Scream Fortress 2010?

>full knockback had ridiculous range and no minimum damage requirement
and let's not forget the sand "stun through ubers point blank" man

Before it was nerfed, its abilities rewarded good skilled players

Default scattergun is now the only relevant weapon on this character, everything else is a gimmick or cosmetic

the soda popper lets you fuck soldiers in the asshole and the extra jumps make is hard for the other classes to land hits on you

>Automatic reloading makes +reload meaningless
>Bind reload to teleport me to saved point on jump servers
>Soda popper needs +reload to work
>NOT LIKE WE ALREADY HAVE +USE_ACTION_ITEM AND +ATTACK3 OR ANYTHING

Also what the fuck Valve, I set V to be "Pass to me!" but it never actually fucking works, but +Attack3 does, what?

>It's been six years since.

Christ.

a couple months off 7 years really

it was released alongside the sandman which at the time took away the ability to double jump

Holy shit

>TF2 as a whole is nearing a decade old

Like most weapons, it has no real purpose. Stock is better.

That said, you're supposed to pop em up into the air with your first shot and finish em with your second. A rapid one-two punch. The knockback on the enemy is to make it easier to pop them into the air for the second shot.

Tbh FaceIt's 6s whitelist bans all non-pistol secondaries so I use that for damage and the FaN for getting shit done instead.

But that's just another case of Valve being too retarded (in both senses of the word) to balance weapons right.

The FaN is barely usable. It's only usable at close range and if you don't kill with that slight damage increase you are so over extended that you are almost defenseless. You get 2shots to try to do what you need to at point blank get fucked by every class range and if you miss or it's not enough damage that's it.

Because the difference in damage in the FaN and stock for each shot is negligible.
But it's not TOTALLY useless.

It's okay at medic picking or low HP picks where you need to put them down instantly. I THINK you can 1 shot 125 classes.

Not sure. Might only go to 120. The follow up is what's important but the knock back may work against you and push them too far away for the FaN to finish the job.

The tl;dr is:
The FaN let's you FaN jump on command where and when you need it for ok mobility and seem like it's stronger with that quick two shots but the damage isn't usually enough to make a difference.

Remember when this was unpatched?

It deserved the nerf. Sorry.

The damage increase is worth it in some situations. The problem is that stock is just too flexible and too good in comparison, especially for the pro players. How TF2 has a "pro" scene I still don't understand but hey, to each their own I guess.

I wish I was better with the pistol. I can use the shortstop no problem when I use it. But I can't do long range hits and every single shot like most people seem to.

It's not nerfed enough.
Frankly it's an utterly fucking retarded weapon. How in the fuck is it A) fair on most players when you can't call aimbot or not with it and B) a good idea for the spy when his regular revolver worked just fine? Headshots are still fucking infuriating to deal with since there's just no counter to it at shorter ranges.

The only reason it exists is because of the Razorback which only gimps a sniper who is often destroyed by rocket/sticky jumping to him and generally overwhelming him. Plus regular revolver will kill him since he has low health and the revolver does roughly shotgun level damage to boot.

Should I customize binds to make my Eureka effect rollout more effective, faster and smoother?

I do my best at scout and wish I was better but it feels like I'm going backwards sometimes.

snipers shouldn't be able to cloak and disguise

There's nothing you can do with a Spy who can consistently land headshots and is carrying the Dead Ringer. This fucker with 6,000 hours, 4,000 of which were on Spy was headshotting people from across the map. Just straight up playing combat Spy. No disguising or cloaking beyond his Get Out of Jail Free Card Dead Ringer.

I don't have problems against it as scout most of the time but yeah. If you saw some kind of headshot single shot slug gun for scout that did crits on headshot it would get needed pretty hard. They'd tone it down to mini crits quick fast and hard.

Speaking as a scout main, on that topic.
Two things come to mind. The first is that the crit-a-cola is still strong as fuck. Huge speed and damage boost and the marked for death penalty is maybe a few seconds at most. You don't get penalized by it really. It's so short.

Also, on the topic of mini or crits on demand, I like the idea of the back scatter. Ive had loads of fun with it. it's condusive to those situations where flanks are vulnerable. But its penalties are really a bit much. The thing that irks me is the spread penalty. Makes it too hard to use outside the small window of usefulness.

>Needed
Nerfed.

>not War update
kys

I think I stopped playing a little after dead ringer came out, did I miss out on anything really?
Btw dead ringer has to be the most anti-fun weapon I've seen in any game, it's not even OP necessarily..just annoying as fuck.

I think a fall off distance where crits become mini crits or just regular shots would be fair.

>the knife but you can backstab from the front and also from all the way across the map

You can kill spies through the ringer now and damaging them reduces cloak time/remaining time. It's no longer 8 seconds of God mode for certain.

But they gave damage resistance to cloaked and disguised spies.

Kinda annoying.

Don't mind me. Just busy being the best unlock.

>1500 hours played
>last played 2007

why do you youngfags think that tf2 is still relevant?

>Best
If your game has this then it has failed at balance.

>I've been on this shitty website for over a decade
Kill me.

I've been playing since release and still do.

1700 hours here
It's relevant because the game is still fun, and still played by lots of people

Tho, this game has passed it's prime, so things are getting slower from now on

later

how do i get my little brother to stop playing this shit 7 hours a day

hes wasting his life i feel bad for him

>Reduced projectile speed from 50% to 20% (now a visible attribute).
>Reduced cannon impact damage from 60 to 50. Damage also scales with distance.
>Reduced knockback from cannon hit. Knockback strength is now similar to airblast.

Misspelling the engineer update there user

>a weapon so untested it can just shoot through gates

Still the best revolver on spy, unless you cant aim and them default beats it by a fair amount.

>later
I UNDERSTOOD THAT REFERENCE

FaN can kill every full health class in the game reliably barring the soldier and the heavy in under a second. Knockback meant that you can easily escape and initiate hit and run setups in situations you can't with the regular scattergun. It was also better at dueling other scouts, as well as fucking over demoknights and explosive jumping classes, because the knockback overrides their aerial movement entirely and makes them a sitting duck.

Extra mobility was nice too to certain maps, and to juke. I unironically used the FaN over the scattergun in almost regard when I still played TF2, even when the meta was that the scattergun was better in every way. I think this might be the only game where I genuinely preferred and thought of the "low tier" option as not only more fun, but better overall than the "high tier" option in a game.

They didn't nerf it, did they?

No reason to use the stock over this

the Meet the Pyro update was definitely the hypest

>tfw my sister probably felt this way about me in 2007

She wouldn't have been wrong

When was this true? When it first came out?

Reduced damage.

rip my favorite scout weapon

i'll never stop being mad

fuck you and all those god damn mini sentries

What about it

If you seriously think the -15% damage is actually jack shit you might want to seriously rethink things

Haven't played in ages, what happened to it?

It was incredibly OP and you know it.

I would consistently go on 25+ killstreaks on pubs and I'm only decent.

Both the FaN and the scattergun did 100-something damage for close range meatshots, but because of the FaN's spread and lower damage per pellet even if there were more pellets per round, plus the fact that the knockback can mean that it pushes enemies further away before you can fire your immediate second shot. This means that sometimes, you may leave Soldiers with under 30 hp left if you weren't close enough for the first shot.

The FaN really became competitive when people discovered that FaN jumping was done when you shoot 45 degrees in front of you, not behind or directly under you, if I remember right.

Unless of course, they had nerfed the thing a few months after Mann vs Machine was released, which was when I stopped playing. I heard they fucked over degreaser/axtinguisher pyros real bad too.

The fuck, it gets free crits on sapped shit and backstabs?
What is wrong with the balance team.

mini sentries are great, especially now with 50 metal teles

t. pleb who cant aim pipes or rockets

>You now remember release week Tomislav

theyre stationary pistols with low health

>I never played the engineer update
They were pretty fucking annoying for a long time, now they're near useless.
They follow the trend of all non-stock weapons.

Damage output. If you could nail two meatshots you'd usually win 1 on 1. The extra jump and knockback were worthless.

I forget, what was broken about it again?

>Natascha is considered "underpowered and unviable since it came out"
>"pls buff natascha robin :(" resounds on the official Steam forums
>They literally do nothing do it
>Still use it because she looks and sounds sexier than Sacha
>Some people discover it actually isn't shit when they realize the 25% damage reduction sounded intimating but it never mattered unless you were dueling other heavies
>Everyone now uses Natascha over the default minigun
>"NERF NATASCHA NAAAOOWW"
>Then they nerfed my waifu

The TF2 community was cancer back then. I'm sure they're still cancer right now.

>original groundscout with demo speed and nojumps was my favorite
>all they had to do was add one free jump so you could get over shit like hightower spawns
>buff it into retard range
>nerf it into boring uselessness
I just hate the tf2 balance team (or rather the one intern that occasionally punches in random shit on the way to coding for donut 2), they just kill fun and make shit broken

>extra jump is worthless
The extra jump came in extremely handy, it opened up a few long jumps you couldn't previously make. Not super useful in the heat of battle but in the run to the battle it very much so came in handy.

They actually nerfed her twice. Made slowdown scale with damage, and slowed the spinup speed because fuck you.

I still use tomislav
It's glorious

>90%
>nine
>zero
>fucking
>percent
>faster spinup

I don't recall it being faster on any particular map but I'll take your word for it. Anyway the second or two you'd save on the rollout didn't make it worth taking unless you were good at nailing those two shots.

>release day Backburner

Glad I quit playing then
Natascha was GOAT, still have my vintage one from way back when

It was the best weapon against flanking scouts.

>and backstabs

I leave TF2 alone for 10 seconds and they turn around and do stupid shit like this.

Spy has always been the meme class new kids wanted to play as, except he used to be hard to play. I guess they wanted the crying to stop and lowered the skill ceiling to the floor.

actually it was only the scout mains complaining about the natascha because they weren't able to get away with 3-shotting the highest hp class with no effort

>backstab some scoped sniper
>his buddy comes around the corner and sees me
>lazily pop a crit and follow-up shot at him as he charges me with his melee
>free kill

>release day Sandman

Spy was super fun when there was no weapon unlocks or anything in the game, getting a chainstab felt legit good.

Press F to pay respects to the top-tier funclass that was degreaser/flare gun/axtingusher proro.

>Be credit to team and earn ez points extinguishing teammates with a puff
>Wreck scrub pyros via S+M1
>Bully soldiers and demomen with airblast
>Bully scouts into corners with airblast
>Kill every class barring the heavy with the most satisfying combo in the game with M1 > M2 > Q > M1
>Just add in another M1 in the end if it's a heavy

Fucking hell, cancerproro was so much fun.

You now remember this video.

youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9970dxQ2g

>Kill every class barring the heavy with the most satisfying combo in the game with M1 > M2 > Q > M1
Fuck I miss Degreaser+Axetinguisher so much

They changed spy from someone who actually needs to sneak around to an assault class. You have shit like the crit on backstab revolver, fake death pocket watch and the you cant set me on fire icicle knife.
Sneaking around is no longer viable when you can fucking pull so much shit out your ass.

I miss my old pickaxe.

>8 years ago
Fuck

>only 3 airblasts in practice
>half the time your backburns don't do shit
they ruined it

>first time I heard propane nightmares
>years before the airshot meme
>years before tf2 went to shit
I want to go back

It was a good time to play Heavy.

>There will never be a game that supports fan based modding, mapping and skinning as much as CS:S ever again
>There will never be a game that allows user-uploaded sprays ever again

Source engine era was the golden age of community-driven games. I still have fond memories of CS:S ze_lotr maps.

x10 mode Backburner

youtube.com/watch?v=perlMwbcGmo

Is it time?

Woops, that was supposed to be greentext
I fucked up

Honestly its this shit that's made me pretty much give up playing tf2 for the time being.

>badwater offense, last point
>red spy harassing blu spawn, rotating between roof and the large health/ammo by first point
>headshots people as they leave spawn or just shoots teleporters
>if someone chases him he just deadringers with extra movement speed and afterburn immunity to one of the many large ammo kits
>rinse/repeat until the game's over

I don't think that the solution to spy being easily countered by spacial awareness is to have him just be unkillable in 1v1s. At least before the change you could just steal the ammo before he can take it but with the extra speed you can't reliably predict which ammo he's going to go for, especially on open maps like badwater.

>Spending all afternoon playing 2fort with your friends having the best kind of fun
>Friends dad has a mac, log into all our accounts on it to get free hat
>Trade it a year later for a few soldier hats
No regrets
Old TF2 has some of my most memorable gaming moments.

While I unironically love all the TF2 launch maps, I think 2fort is the worst of them actually.

>you will never spend the entire day on the Teek doing stupid shit in TF2 ever again

> prepatch shortstop

loved that gun back then

youtube.com/watch?v=XjYAWJ5k-TQ

youtube.com/watch?v=-7ELtvuffvY
youtube.com/watch?v=QFCorzv1dUE
youtube.com/watch?v=RT-j14kFvZE
youtube.com/watch?v=8DlNiXa9LaU

Was it even that broken? i don't remember, either using or facing it, it ever being overpowered. Why'd it get its reload nerfed so hard?

If you actually play the map sure I guess. But fucking around back in 2009 trying to do dumb shit with a couple of friends was incredibly fun. Shit like building a full engi nest in the enemies intel room. Treating it like trench warfare. Having a picnic in the sewer. 2fort is the best fuck around map.

Which class had the best taunts and why is it the Pyro?

>3 man engie nest in sewers
>even had sprays like "caution, engy nest" and "gay bar

>THROUGH IV, OUT MIDDLE, THROUGH OUR CONNECTOR LIKE A SPEED DEMON

Misspelled soldier there friendo

remember me?

Oh yeah, I guess I can see that. I did play 2fort exclusively for the first few days but after that I just didn't like how much of a stalemate it usually was. And your team would usually be like 60% snipers and 40% engineers and spies hah.

faggots

the shortstop was a perfect rush weapon

> get in
> empty mag
> get out

cyberpunk was the better mememap

I WILL SEND MY CONDOLENCES TO YOUR KANGAROO WIFE

YESH

youtube.com/watch?v=dzMq5_thk4o
> 4 years

Doo yooh rhemnmmembhur vodka

>see mario kart map on server browser
>its one of the shitty remakes

>hop into the little restaurant
>serve sandviches to anyone that stopped by
>figuring out how to get into the dj booth

yo
well the one with the blimp is comfy, but it's just not the same

This was my shit. At that age I fucking loved the ebin 4chin maymays all over it. And the vampire futa picture on one of the walls.

youtube.com/watch?v=yzQEPECul2s
please someone turn back the clock

>community faggots flooding valve to add their donutsteel oc weapons
>its all fucking garbage that doesn't fit the art style

youtube.com/watch?v=XJmu_Q0uRgU
>when this played on Cred Forums

Regular revolver is better for destroying buildings.

GET ON POINT SHHHHTOOPID

hes dead forever ;_;

>no game will ever have comfy chill and explore maps with out there aesthetics and that hobbled together look like old source again
>trade maps were the last echo of the old spirit
>now replaced by 0 imagination shit or memecraft
I wish
that I could turn back time

Way ass back before the Heavy update and the Spy backstab animation change. Managing to chainstab people was one of the most satisfying things. You didn't care if you died after that 4th or 5th stab. You felt like it honestly took effort if it was against a good team. But now it's all free. Especially with hitbox exploitation. Wait, they call those trickstabs now.

One thing I miss that had no reason for being taken out was the little switch flick when spy took out the sapper

That was dm_cyberpunk or something right? I was really into that one when they released those halos I remember getting mine while I played on it. Nostalgic.

I don't think cyberpunk had a gamemode prefix, it was just cyberpunk

Wait, the guy who made those is dead?

God damn it

As a fucking dodo.

A Cred Forums thread made me rewatch the thing 3 or 4 days ago.

one less furry in this world

he was so happy..

I used to love going full demoknight for fun with the katana, and I used to be kinda alright at it as well since I would not just charge into groups of enemys and try to 1v3+ like a retard.
Seriously why do most demoknights do that? its like they think that because they have a shield that provides a little resistance against some damage types that they can take on the entire enemy team by themselves.
Though it was extremely fun when they first brought in the tide turner, that was fun as fuck before it got nerfed into uselessness a few weeks later

I just loved playing full turn Demoknight with the Xbox controller bug. Kinda sad that they took it away rather than just making it the standard.

this is literally unusable tier bad weapon now

;_;

>willingly playing as broken crutch class
>using decrutcher
just when i thought Cred Forums couldnt get any more cancerous

>portugal
>a bullfighter speaking spanish

>that quarter of a second when you sentence an enemy to death by knocking them against a wall

Also very good burst damage.
FaN someone in the butt is insta kill on any other class than heavy.

>Xbox controller bug
What?

For some reason charging had no turn rate reduction if you played with an Xbox controller. You could set up your mouse so that it sent inputs as if it was an Xbox controller and basically play Demoknight with full turn rate.

Was crazy good.