This spell uses your health to do damage

>This spell uses your health to do damage

Has there ever been a good spell in ANY video game that had this concept?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TWgSw4PVTY0
pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vaal_Righteous_Fire
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Physical attacks from the Persona series use health for damage. It starts off not being worth it then at later levels the abilities become godlike.

>ywn fuck rose cun senseless

Darkness/Dark side in Final Fantasy VIII and X-2

All of Zac's spells in League of Legends

Berserk is godly in Nocturne and Devil Survivors. All of them criticals man.

Blood Weapon in FFXI
kinda

If Pokemon counts, most of the skills that use that sort of thing are ridiculous as fuck.
Then there were hexes in DKSII with Abyss Seal

Phoenix in DOTA 2 uses her health for her attacks. Her ult let her be reborn with full health.

who is this goddess

Desperation attacks in beatemups usually work like that and they're usually okay.

closest thing i could think of

some of the amazing skills in star ocean 3 take hp.

A lot of league champs have kits based to spending hp as a resource and sustaining it back

Blood magic in PoE.

shes dead

wow rip

Cred Forums Pass user since September 2012.

>goddess

In Onimusha 2, if you use the black necklace, you can do crits at the cost of some HP. Really worth it.

off yourself

>being this new

>takes them 4 expansions to add Cho'gall to the game
>as the worst warlock legendary
JUST

>3 Years

; _ ;

>she

Thanatos from smite is fun and not garbage.

Soul Sacrifice has an entire class of spells based on using your blood to do damage.
Too bad they're fucking useless since you're 100 level limit is split to balance between magic damage and available HP.
If you want to do massive damage with spells go Magic>Life.
But if you want a bunch of health than go Life>Magic.

Effectively you don't have enough HP in Magic>Health/Magic=Health to make Blood Spells viable and can't inflict enough damage in Life>Magic/Life=Magic to make it viable either.

It's hard to make a legendary better than Jaraxxus and Mal'Ganis.

I'd say he's a damn sight better than Fizzlebang at least.

vladamir is really op right now

Huskar's flaming spear of fuckery in Dota 2

blood star was ok just for being completely unresistable; not the best spell in the game, but a solid backup especially when you started running into multiple different dual-immune types on each level

Final Form Sora in Kingdom Hearts Unchained is pretty good.

Rose is so fucking cute.

Guild Wars 1 has plenty.

looks kinda young
is she legal

>The lower your health, the more damage you do
Does anyone else here love this mechanic as well?

>Young
shes in her 30s now mate

physical attacks in the SMT games

No.

plenty, but none were really worth shit

4u

life-cost abilities used in tandem with life steal is fucking great, shake my head family.

FEEL THE POWER OF MY AURA
too bad lucario's a fucking faggot

If that was a MTG card, it would be so fucking broken.

guys dont remind me of guildwars1
guildwars 2 gives me violent nightmares and heart wrenching regret that i believed in a company to simply create a better guildwars.

WHY DID ARENANET MAKE GUILDWARS 2 LIKE THAT? ALL THEY HAD TO DO IS MAKE A NEW STORY AND MAKE NEW GRAPHICS THE GAME, STYLE, AND SPIRIT WAS FINE!

i have never been so betrayed by a game company like arenanet before.

yes i am mad.

Whats this from?

youtube.com/watch?v=TWgSw4PVTY0

pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Vaal_Righteous_Fire

BLOOD OF THE MASTER

they just gave the people what they wanted, pure mmo casual pve. 1 had been trending that way for years too.

who's this disabled cutie?

>game completely freezes every time you use it
path of exile 2 when

It is the edgiest mechanic ever
> And I absolutely love it

I know your feels.
When they announced no dedicated healing and that all classes can play all roles I died a little bit on the inside.

Dunno man, Blood Blades in Soul Sacrifice Delta were always useful. The claw attack you get from the Cait Sith worked on the same principle and more than once helped in a pinch while breaking parts from enemies

thats shit cause most of the time you cant control it

>my top dps is when you dont heal me lol also if i get hit once im dead and i have no way to help facilitate staying at low health

thats a recipe for "never ever get used under any circumstance"

There was a build in Valkyrie Profile 2 that basically let you deal incredible damage if you had one character poisoned and enraged with 1 hp remaining and all your other characters were dead.

Because you were enraged, you couldn't use items to heal and the poison would kill you after you attacked. If you didn't end the fight in one turn, it was Game Over.

This build was a fun way of taking out the final boss of Seraphic Gate, who was usually very tough.

whippersnappers

if they simply released an updated CLEANER guildwars with better graphics, maps, and skill balance. exclusively with the random arena, team arena , guild battles and hall of heroes/fissure of woe.

i can guarantee the game would sell like hotcakes.
i came here to read up on potential good games not get bad feels.

you guys made me sad.

I personally don't like it but you can often do some damn broken shit with it.

I bought the Limited Edition
Kill me
At least Rytlock figure is neat...

>Breaking parts
The most effective spells for breaking parts are the stonefists uppercut spells.
They hit every part of the body and inflict a stupidly huge amount of damage even to Level 15+ bosses.
Once you had all the appropriate Avalon sigil buffs it became trivial to break body parts.

never mind, I found some images

>tfw you channel fireball
such a good feel

aw she's so cute

Final fantasy tactics had blood magic where you'd use HP instead of mana

3 uses:
You could cast high level shit immediately at the start of match
You can double cast to gain HP back, which means free cast
And best of all, use mana shield to essentially gain 10 effective HP per turn

Man, tactics was baller

PoE has a good low life mechanic

Dota 2 Phoenix Sun Ray

too bad poe is shite like every single Diablo clone in existence.

I wish they did more cast from HP shit for Dark Knight in FFXIV, but I'm sure that would be a terrible idea considering how bad most players are.

Mira in Killer Instinct Season 3 has a a mechanic where heavy versions of her specials deal grey life to herself

Haggar in UMvC3 deals life to himself to perform the lariat and it's what Kane Blue River makes his career off of

Why are his eyes so fucking big?

i always liked vlad
also bood magic in DA O

blood mages are usually op as shit dude
like when HAVENT they been good, devs usually overcompensate for the life cost way too fucking hard because if they dont nobody wants to play them when they could just use normal ass shit without all the risk

you should be complaining about berserkers, builds that require you to sit at low health to do things are almost always far shittier than trading health at your own pace to do things
especially when the games balanced around heal upkeep and healing them actively inhibits their overall output

>Bravely Default Dark Knight has a ton of abilities that eat your health to do damage
>equip the life draining sword whatever it was called/have your 2nd job as Spell Fencer to cast Drain on your weapon
>can basically spam normally high risk abilities with reckless abandon
>Minus Strike deals damage equivilant to the hp you've lost so just use that with the Drain enchantment if you happen to get low to top off your health

Fun class to play with. Fighting the boss that has that class is a pain because the faggot uses 1 hit kill minus strikes once he gets close to death and its annoying as all holy fuck

Zeal for paladin in diablo 2

Yes.

Was going to say this about Morde.

Phoenix is a he

Cred Forums Pass user since August 2014.

>ff4 psp and gba
>cecil AoE attack Darkness carries the group until Mount Ordeals
>rydia's uselessness early on just pumps Cure into Cecil
>ff4 ds, give Darkness to Kain to make him less useless because weapon elemental affinity will overwrite the darkness dark element every weapon from the ice sword to the holy lance

>etrian odyssey untold 1/2
>highlanders are too fucking OP

probably more like wow and everquest, I think even ffxiv has one or two but I just dont care much

Huskar's Burning Spears are pretty great.

Dark Knight in Bravely Default. I can hit 10 times the max damage per turn. Rage to crazy OP.

Reminder that "she" died in a car accident about 2 years back, same as pic relate. Death is everywhere.

Cuck

that just reinforces my boner

Thor and Surt carried me for most of the game because of this, Thor especially, since he had an AoE smash that usually got everyone in one hit

dont lie to me

You rang?

>equip that halves health but doubles attack
>equip that doubles attack at half health
MUH

Not really

Reddit is 2 blocks down passfag.

MapleStory Power Guard if that counts

They're ususally pretty shit. Like if you're losing life to cast these spells they should atlleast be powerful.

Runescape.
>Retribution is an overhead Prayer unlocked at level 46 Prayer. It inflicts up to 25% of the user's prayer level as damage to nearby enemies if you die.
>Vengeance is a lunar spell that rebounds 75% of the damage of the next hit back to their opponent, similar to a ring of recoil. The player will say "Taste vengeance!" when it is activated. Players may only cast vengeance once every 30 seconds.
>A Ring of recoil is a ring made by a sapphire ring used with Lvl-1 Enchant. If worn, 10% of the damage received by the player will be received by the attacker, this will apply on monsters and other players. The damage is always rounded up to the nearest point if the damage is fractional, so it will always deal at least 1 damage when you are hit. The ring does not last forever, as it will deal up to 40 hitpoints of damage before it shatters.
not exactly what OP meant because these ones here are defensive, but it's close enough

Every spell in PoE can with blood magic gem

>cast drain sword on self
>wait until 3BP
>brave twice and use rage three times
>rage casts dark bane (takes out a fifth of your HP for loads of damage) up to five times or until you die
>drain takes the damage you just dealt into health
>end up cast dark bane 15 times for 9999 damage per turn every turn and with three different characters while healing them all up to full
>1,349,865 damage per turn
>final boss has 200,000 health

also:

>Dharok the Wretched's equipment is obtainable from Barrows. Like all Barrows equipment, Dharok's armour requires 70 Defence to wear, while the Greataxe requires 70 Attack and Strength to wield. Note that over a period of time like all Barrows items, the armour will degrade

>Wretched Strength:
>Maximum Melee hit increases as your hit points get lower and is most powerful when the player has only 1 hit point remaining

Dragon Age's Blood Mage was completely broken.

In Asheron's Call, you could cast a spell to change stamina into mana then cast a spell to give yourself stamina. in the long run you would still end up running out of both as it wasnt a 1:1 efficient transfer. So you could then resort to casting a health to mana spell, then heal yourself. again in the long run you will end up running out plus its dangerous if you didnt know wtf you were doing

>Blood Mage+the Magic Knight class
Literally invincible.

>Still posting that gremlin-looking fagboy after all these years.
Bravo, faggot!

Is there a game where casting from health is a bad idea?

life break back when huskar had the old version of berserker's blood

I absolutely love living on the edge.

Blood magic was OP as shit in FFTA2 because normally mages had to wait and let their MP charge before they jump into battle slinging spells, but if you gave them the blood price skill you could, for instance, have a summoner right out of the gate dualcasting the strongest summons and destroying everything.

not to mention that summoners could just as easily heal themselves (and their allies) while damaging enemies at the same time thanks to armors that gave elemental absorbtion

it's ridiculous how broken some of the class combos are in the ff tactics games

SMT.

you can do it in Tactic Ogre too

BC belf ret paladin had blood sceal and it dealt a fuckload of damage

Is FFTA2 good? Worth playing on an emulator?

There was a fucking GoAT japanese RPGmaker game called "Standstill Girl" where one of the best late game spells is called "Self-Holocaust" and does damage to you for the sake of doing massive damage to the enemy.

If you've never played STandstill Girl, go play it. It's like 2 hours long and better than 95% of commercial JRPGs. It physically pains me that we'll never see a fleshed out commercial version.

Wild ARMS 3 has a spell called Valiant that increases your attack by the difference between your MAX HP and HP, best part is if Gallows has the rune equipped that holds the spell then he expend FP to use Extension which will multicast Valiant on the whole party which means the entire party will have their ATK raised by the difference between their MAX and current HP. Tons of damage ensues.

I'd say so. It's not a horribly challenging game, but messing around with all the races, classes, skills, etc can make for really fun builds. Plus, a good deal of the sidequests are pretty interesting and fun.

If you like the tactics styled games, go for it.

Blood mage in Dragon Age Origins and Dragon Age 2
The AOE blood attack that bypasses all resistance and armor and mind control are some of the best spells in the game.

inb4 dota but Abaddon is OP

It works better in games that aren't turn based. Where being on low health won't ensure your death so long as you're good at dodging everything. It can be a fun and tense high risk high payoff system.

>i can guarantee the game would sell like hotcakes.

"It's a single player MMO with a sub-par story, cringeworthy 'cinematics', and title grinding!"

Yes. In this fucking climate, that game would sell AMAZINGLY well!

Grow up and move on, nigger. GW1 was beginning to outlive its usefulness at the end of EotN and you were just too young and retarded to notice.

>INB4 you mistake me for not sucking GW1 cock for liking GW2

dark souls 1 red tear stone ring is the best example of this. as long as you know how to dodge shit, you can get an instant permanent triple damage buff at the start of the game.

high risk, high reward, completely dependent on your skill.

Blood mage, and the mage classes in general, got the shit nerfed out of them in 2. Of course, no one played 2 for the garbage combat, that was mostly just picking which class you wanted to watch button mash through the game so you could get to the dialogue.

>mfw even if you made hawke a blood mage, they'll still be all "lynch the blood mages T B H" in inquisition

Bioshock Infinite did this. It was a gear that could only be found in Comstock House, right at the end of the game.

When your salts where empty, it used health to power your vigors instead. It was kinda shit though, blood to salt and last man standing outclassed it.

Like most things in that game, it was a poorly-implemented 'let's put one of these things in the game but not bother to do it well."

Phoenix spells in dota

>abaddon

Only hero that technically used their own HP to deal damage was Ursa's old ultimate. HP costs for spells are something entirely different.

Reminder that the reason we have no more Rose in our lives is because of Cred Forums, /r9k/ and Cred Forums autists going out of their way to project their built up disdain for anything pure.
Come back to us Rose, we miss you

>implying
>implying the CC god that was force mage and the DPS monster that was blood mage weren't an amazing combo
Just because they removed the literal automatic win that was Arcane Warrior doesn't mean they nerfed mages. If anything Rogues were the most nerfed.

>Finally brunette with short hair.
12/10 achieved
>Pepsi

Too bad user, she loves Pepsi. According to her, the reason she's so short is that all the caffeine in Pepsi stunted her growth.

>not BLOOD IS POWER