Name 1 (one) JRPG with a good story

Name 1 (one) JRPG with a good story.

Protip: You cant

>inb4 "teenagers use the power of friendship to save the world from edgy anime villain" is a good story

b8, but I love being told I'm wrong by people on Cred Forums

Chrono Trigger

Nice recommendation thread, faggot.

Shin Megami Tensei 2

Dragon's Dogma, even though the story takes a backseat to the gameplay.
It's more lore than a full fledged story though.

Metal Gear Solid.
Protip: It IS JRPG no matter how you claim otherwise.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door
Xenogears

Where's the RPG part?

Dark Souls
Bloodborne

You are playing the role of a Snake.

Wild Arms

EarthBound if you take into account the backstory of MOTHER 1/ EarthBound Begginings

Every game is an RPG then, because you're playing the of the protagonist

You are roleplaying right now.

Suikoden

Final Fantasy Tactics

This.

Though the recent drop in quality (dubs only, focus fanservice, carbon copies of previous games in the story department) warrants threads being started with shitty bait I guess.

>Why not? This is a type of role-playing game.

Trails series.

Golden Sun 1 + 2

>inb4 "teenagers use the power of friendship to save the world from edgy anime villain" is a good story
This was the basic premise, but once you learnt that the villains were actually just trying to save their part of the world and started playing as them in the second part, it got pretty good

Do you get to kill the teenagers from the first part?

No, you team up with them eventually. Still better than most JRPG stories

Arc the Lad 1-2 also does the new and old team up thing, although the new cast weren't villains in the first game.

NieR

Dragon Quest V

Name 1 (one) western RPG where
>you, the biggest baddest hero don't steal every container everywhere, heavily breaking immersion
>where encounters are balanced, and not a matter of getting lucky with shit enemy AI/ breaking that AI somehow (also heavily immersion breaking)
>where you don't just "do the companion quest", and that's it, that's the extent of your interaction with them ever

>Fuck Anime
>the corpses look more like Western style

Seriusly who designed those characters?

>Perhaps you would have preferred a fantasy setting?

i love Golden Sun but a decent writing and story is definitely something it doesn't have

the story is anime and cliched as fuck, the writing seems like it was written by a 15 year old and the cutscenes are so overly redundant and long i'm pretty sure they could've axed 75% of the script and it would've still made complete sense

Leveling up your grip stat.

FFVI and Chrono Trigger's were pretty nice even if the dialogues are extremely simplistic because the SNES memory limitations.

Also Pokemon B/ W for little kids, Mother 3 for older kids, Golden Sun as a typical epic and TWEWY for teens are all good enough.

Oh, and FFVII has pretty nice moments and ideas although the complete story is a bunch of hits and misses, and DQ IX has very good sidestories.

>Final Fantasy: NSync saves the day edition

>Giving a shit about story in vidya

Fuck you and your garbage interactive movies you faggot

>FFVI and Chrono Trigger
OP specifically asked for stories that AREN'T about teenagers killing God with the power of friendship

Punished Noctis looks fine though.

Even nsync had more variety than the FFXV faggots

dank maymays brosefine :^)

I hope he's playable for a significant amount of the game and not just in the final area or something.

damn Bravely Default!

(At least the character development on Edea is gorgeous)

xenogears, nier, nioh, ff tactics, dark souls, castlevania, monster hunter, pretty much every dragon quest games, plenty of ff and smt games, dragons dogma, bloodborne, and even shadow of the colossus or some mgs games also can be classified as action-rpgs

now name you try to name western rpgs that aren't about a generic veteran warrior going on killing hundreds of samey enemies in a star wars or tolkien ripoff world.

God, western art is so shit. That's why modern "art" is a thing there, I guess.

which is the best JRPG in the vita?

Dungeon Travelers 2

a game that's ported better elsewhere

Neptunia Re;Birth 3 is nice
Persona 4 Golden is liked by a lot of people
Other than that, maybe some of the Dungeon Crawlers like Demon Gaze are okay, too.

Grandia
Literally the comfiest jrpg out there

I'm assuming he's playable for the whole second half.

SMT: Strange Journey

DD is a wrpg made by japanese, it's not weeb bullshit

Wrong.

>japanese role playing game.
>it's not japanese.

ok stay retard then

Name 1 (one) WRPG with a good story.

Protip: You cant

>demon that's only useful when he's attacked
Trash.

when did you play your first jrpg? 2 months ago? the weeb shit you mention is kinda "recent" compared to the age of the genre.

really made me think :^)

What's this?

so to you, shit like the Tales of are the same kind of rpg than DD ?

Ys

I like Vagrant Story, Legend of Mana and Final Fantasy Tactics' plot if that helps you. I am sure there's more, but those are always the one to come to mind.

yes.

Name one western RPG that let you romance and/or marry a loli. Pro-tip, you can't. It's too "politically incorrect". Meanwhile based Japs provide romanceable loli in almost every single JRPG with romance because they don't care about "muh CSA/pedophilia" bullshit.

>That one idiot that replies to fucking everything
Stop that.

kill yourself degenerated pedoshit

>teenagers use the power of friendship to save the world from edgy anime villain
But that's wrong.
It's "teenagers use the power of friendship to save the world from evil god/the devil"

You didn't answer my answer, SJW cuck.

CT is actually the perfect answer to OP and anyone who disagrees is just shitposting/hasn't played it.

>teens
>over half the cast aren't teens

>edgy anime villain/god
>Lavos is an alien parasite "force of nature" style antagonist

>power of friendship
>you can literally beat the game with the main character dead

I think pre-X Final Fantasies have good video game stories, since they're well paced enough to keep the simple gameplay rewarding

>not being a degnerated pedo means you are a SJW

really end yourself

>Implying FFVIII's story wasn't a complete mess

Even Japan knows the people pushing to ban lolis are SJWs. Tumblr is filled with those people who say loli should be banned because it makes "child assault victims" feel triggered.

Old FE games

Lost Odyssey faggot, of course you wouldn't know because you never played it.

>defending pedophila

JUST.KILL.YOURSELF.

Well, I can't deny that.
The really unique moments and the weird atmosphere win me over though

well, as i said, stay retard.

Isn't Baldurs Gate basically "you're a destined dude, go adventure with your friends and do some shit"?

The only real difference from say, any Dragon Quest game is showing a shitload of DnD lore into it because it was already written and available.

Most CRPG stories are exactly the same stuff as JRPGs, they're just presented differently. I think "anime" art and dialogue style is what triggers some people here.
I actually remember reading that Planescape: Torment was heavily influenced by JRPGs, which can be seen in its stranger than usual characters and such. Also, it pretty much has FFVII summons in it

smt strange journey

My friend, play Shadow tower abyss. Or the dark spire.

holy shit your taste is awful