Monitor

Is the 144hz monitor worth it? I've been gaming for a lot of years, and i've lately considered a new and larger monitor. People keep telling me the 144hz are way better than just 60 or 120hz. What does Cred Forums think?

do you play competitive games like CSGO? yes

otherwise? go for resolution

if you have 120hz monitor, upgrade it when it breaks/resolution is outdated

the big jump is 60->120

>want to upgrade gpu
>remember monitor is native to 1080/60hz

I want to upgrade so many things but then I keep thinking what's the point? Nothing out or coming out even justifies it.

>TN

>feel comfortable with GPU
>remember that devs are shit and terrible at optimization

there is no victory

nothing wrong with 1080p. not everyone has room for large monitors
your reaction time greatly increases on 120hz
the "runs like greased silken butter" meme is also true if your gpu can maintain 120fps

144hz is good if you play fast-paced comp games. If you don't play those then you won't notice much.

I have the rog swift that's 1440p/144hz and TN, they have an IPS model now but it's an extra 3ms of response time and I dunno if I want to give up dat 1ms world just for a picture quality improvement.

Don't forget when nvidia pays devs to ruin their optimization on purpose so that they can sell overpriced graphics cards.

is that really the only thing tha matters to you? i personally chose my monitor so i could use freesync and 144hz was a bonus
the difference is there and when youre able to maintain that 144fps its pretty amazing but chances are you wont be seeing your fps go that high on regular games unless youre using a gtx 1080
esports garbage for tryhards run on toasters so its not hard to reach 144fps on mainstream gaming hardware

i had a taste of 100hz on my crt, i am playing games at 800x600 resolution over 1080p because it feels that much better. im even browsing Cred Forums on it. everything, even the cursor, feels more responsive. i really think it is worth going for a 144hz monitor but just know, as far as i can tell, many games don't have a display refresh option so might not even play at 100hz. if the game is capped at 60 fps you are also fucked unless a fan fix came out for the game

yes it's wroth it
and not because how smooth it looks but because input lag is very low
I notice instantly if windows loaded driver into 60hz(happens once couple months)
it's like fps drops from 60 to 25 even in a freaking windows
also at 144hz you can't feel fps jumps 50-72, 72-100,100-144 = drops do not matter between these ranges

Yes.

I have a benq xl2411z and it's fucking great.

Once you see 144hz, 60hz will look like laggy shit to you. Trust me.

you physically can't tell the difference between 1ms and 4ms.
inb4 yes i can
no you can't, it's literally impossible for humans to tell a difference.

No they dont

They ruin their own performance each generation just to sell new gpus. Its really pretty sad but thats what market domination gets the end user.

you can tell when it goes from 50ms to 3ms though
and that's what 144hz mostly does

>tryhards
why is this a problem to people like you? i don't understand the problem. it just feels better in games that really make use of it, which just happens to be that esports crap. it doesn't even realistically make you play better it just feels better, even using shit like lightning gun in quake live doesn't have as much a benefit as you might imagine

Well which monitors do you use? I've been told to buy BenQ, but i seems so fucking expensive and a lot of their screens does not really look that nice

desu senpai I don't want to go back to 60 fps now that I've tried 144hz.

it cost me an arm and a leg, but it's wonderful to use. I'd recommend getting something good now to enjoy for years, rather than buying something mediocre and having to replace it soon / having to suffer through the years wishing you bought something better.

If you use your pc every day for gaming, and have a good gpu, i'd say go for 144hz.

pic related

what was the deal with rise of the tomb raider then?

play at lower fps with 144hz
then switch to freesync at same fps and play the same part of the game
zero difference, 144hz simply nullifies anything good about freesync

You might be right about that, I'll consider it for when my free replacement warranty is about to go up.

I'm not sure what point you're trying to make here, a low-FPS game will look identical on a 60hz screen or a 144hz screen because they're both 60FPS or below. That's like saying you won't notice the difference in walking ability between a man with two legs and a man with one leg when they're both sitting down.

a cheaper option is crt monitors. im using a kds xflat which can hit 100hz at 800x600 resolution. better ones i hear can hit even 200hz at higher resolutions and people literally throw them away

BenQ used to be one of the best makes on the market. They seem pretty cheap now with Asus going full "gaymer" brand and overcharging.

freesync is pointless if you can go 144hz
there is no tearing at 144hz
if you 144hz is IPS input lag is instant, and much better than with freesync you can feel it instantly
basically just try it

No. Unless you play competitive FPS, 60fps gets you what you need most of the time. Go for better rez, you get a much better experience with pretty much everything that way.

So my specs looks like this atm, any upgrades i should do, due to upgrading my monitor - or maybe just overall upgrades to having a decent pc?

The jump from 60 hz to 144hz is night and day.

Everything is far more responsive and smoother.

If you got the money and the (Nvidia) GPU to take advantage of it, go all out and get (something like) the IPS Rog Swift.

>Unless you play competitive FPS

Where does this meme come from?
Even if you don't play competitive shooters, 120hz+ is a huge improvement visually.

It's entirely up to you subjective taste though, I suppose.

freesync/gsync > standard hrf monitors

If you're going for 144hz or 1440p you're gonna need a better video card for modern games. Might as well get a better CPU as well, even though it's borderline acceptable.

I love mine, after playing at 60fps on a normal HD monitor, going for a 1440p/IPS/144hz screen is like spoiling yourself rotten.

Even in normal games, hell even on my desktop it just feels relaxing in a way, maybe it's cause of my eyes, i don't know.

Honestly, from the way those specs look, and depending on what games you play, you should just trash it and buy something new if you have the cash. Pascal is the first really significant jump we've had in years.

I almost suggest NOT getting a 144hz monitor because once you do you will NEVER again be happy with anything less.

It makes 60hz look so... how should I say. Not smooth at all.

human eye can't see more than 3 frames per hour

Tfw all I have is a 1680x1050 60hz monitor, and a smaller one on the side that visibly flickers.

Well, My PC is performing alright atm. But i've been considering the upgrades a lot of times. I don't need an insane beast of a PC, but i need one which is decent and not laggy

>tfw your new desktop always runs below room temp.

Been using an asus 238 for 5 years.
Literally everyone immediately notices how much better 120hz is over a standard display the moment they step into the room and look at it.

More Callie Briggs please.

>Purchase 144hz screen
>Playing on it a bit, brother asks if he can see it
>Watches me for an hour while I try a few games
>Gets himself a 144hz screen that same week

did you suck his cock

Well you guys are talking about it.
What's a good budget 120/144?

Yes, at 144 succs per second

get the benq xl2411z

human eye cant see more then 25 fps

theres literally no reason to not limit fps to 25 and 144hz are a scam

london?

What monitor did you pick up? I'm looking into picking up a second monitor.

Just wait for 4K. 1440p is pointless.

To make 4K worthwhile your monitor would probably have to at least be 32"

otherwise why even bother

What brands are good?
Right now I have a 60hz monitor and want to jump to 144hz but my gpu is a 960. Should I focus on upgrading it first and then a monitor?

Yes, I'm your brother

don't think an 800 dollar monitor is a good choice for a second one..

4k is not doable at 144hz yet, not by a long shot

But I didn't talk about 144hz, I talked about 4k

meant to quote
but moot made me wait 30 secs to post it

I want to get a 144hz monitor, but I'm worried by next year that a new monitor will be released that will have say 200hz and then that will become the norm.

I don't think so

Absolutely worth it if you have the performance to back it up. No need to have games running close to the 144 Hz. Anything +90 fps feels fucking nice to me.

If you can't go that high, the high motion resolution makes for a pretty snappy feeling desktop and sharp movie watching experience as well.

But don't get the one you posted in the OP. This LG 24GM77-B is rarely heard of but it has much nicer colors than what is usually being recommended (Benq, Asus etc.). No built-in speakers and no G-Sync, though.

4K might become much more common, but I doubt they'll push the frequency above 144hz