I couldn't find any threads to ask this so I've decide to make my own...

I couldn't find any threads to ask this so I've decide to make my own, I've been binging like mad on Arcanum and Planescape Torments and I've loved both because combat isn't a main focus and I can lose myself in the world, is Pillars of Eternity like that? Do my stats matter only for combat? Is it very open ended? How interesting is dialogue and things like that?

Pillars of Eternity is shit.
Die in a fire, nigger.

Never played a game like this before is it a good place to start?
I've played the first few hours and enjoyed it, however that amount of reading makes me want to read a book instead, maybe once in done with my book ill give it another go.

>is Pillars of Eternity like that
No. It's a cheap, soulless copycat of first BG that lacks any atmosphere or fun.
Dialogues feel like wiki articles.
Stats only add pointless, useless flavor text in dialogues that never accounts to anything.
It also has railroaded shit combat, shit itemization and gives almost no reward for fighting trash mobs.
If you still hasn't seen all infinity engine games, go and play those instead.

>Do my stats matter only for combat?
No.
>Is it very open ended?
More reactive than PST but it's pretty linear.
>How interesting is dialogue and things like that?
Meh. Some of it is interesting some isn't.

90% of Cred Forums really hates pillars of eternity for no reason. I think it's a cool game, a bit buggy though

I tried this game wasn't sure if it was bad or if I just disliked the genre. What are some better starting games for this genre?

Baldur's gate trilogy.

baldur's gate is basically the same thing but older and more broken

It's an overly pretentious BG 1 wannabe. Also the plot, despite its potential, is shit and the last act is totally rushed while copying heavily the last part of BG2.

The only reason I see to buy this game is to try to encourage an another company to do a Baldur's Gate like game.

Baldur's gate is way larger, with better setting, more fun quests, much better itemization and incomparably better build variety and base mechanics.

>gives almost no reward for fighting trash mobs
The fat stacks you get from selling the loot is pretty nice.

Is Baldur's Gate really the big champion of role playing games people make it out to be? I've only gotten to the iron mine, but I don't really much like the combat and the dialogue and lore don't seem to interest me much, am I just being a cuck, does it get better? Is it already good and I'm just blind?

that's only if they are humans and those are rare
all animals/spirits/elementals don't give you shit, at best some basic ingredients

it's the opposite of that. the setting is forgotten realms, which is super bad. the quests are probably about the same. I'm not sure itemization is even a word, you find the same kind of items in poe and also can enchant things. the build variety in bg is trash, since half the attributes are totally pointless and you can't take different abilities as you level because there aren't any. the base mechanics I'd say are significantly worse, and good luck finding out what they even are

Seriously the backgrounds look nice but that is the ONLY positive thing I can think of. My god this game is a bore.

>I'm not sure itemization is even a word
In other words you're a newfag retard and should kill yourself.

I think you should kill yourself instead for disagreeing with me

How can anyone be interested in fantasy settings at this point? I'm talking the base Tolkien shit, elves, dwarfs n shit...its utterly boring at this point, at least with other genres like sci fi you have more opportunity to make a unique race or ship design etc.

They give experience until you finish their bestiary info.

It's mostly nostalgia. Classes are more interesting though. In poe equipment matters almost as much as class when determining how they are played.

because they're fucking plebs. your reason for sci fi being good makes you sound like a bit of a pleb too desu, but yeah sci fi is much less gay

>the setting is forgotten realms
and poe's setting is forgotten realms: boredom edition
>quests are probably about the same
way better than anything in poe
>I'm not sure itemization is even a word
kek
>you find the same kind of items in poe and also can enchant things
show me a single thing in poe on a level of staff of the magi
>the build variety in bg is trash
ability to multiclass and dualclass alone makes bg's build variety way better than anything in poe
>since half the attributes are totally pointless
oh, i forgot that i'm talking with representative of generation z who thinks that leveling charisma on warrior should actually give him something in combat

I didn't say it was good, just seems like theres more room for non worn out tropes. Every Sci fi game/movie doesn't have the exact same races or architecture, yes there are some similarities but its nothing compared to interchangeable fantasy.

pillars is basically all combat, and it's waaaaay too much of the bad, samey combat because every hallway is littered with identical "trash mob" encounters that take zero tactics or brainpower to beat, all play out exactly the same way, and offer dogshit for rewards (since you don't get xp from combat). stat and skill dialogue choices are an illusion, as they all do essentially the same thing (and many times lead to the same wording, like using might or resolve to get the same generic flavor text, or athletics/dexterity in a text adventure sequence for the same result)

if you love slowly shuffling around tiny maps to remove the fog of war and are really desperate for a setting that is forgotten realms pitch shifted 0.5 degress less interesting, then this is the game for you

pic unrelated or is it

Cred Forums Pass user since December 2013.

>The fat stacks you get from selling the loot is pretty nice.
pillars' economy is shittier than the goldbox games' economy

oh hey, i can filter you fucktards, that's nice

>way better than anything in poe

>some richfag traveling lost his "daughter" in some bumfucked town
>turns out it was his niece and he knocked her up because his wife kept having hollowborn
>she was kidnapped by some cultists and had butthurt souls injected in to her
>they planned for her to kill him and the rest of his family destroying his line

I thought it was pretty interesting.

You could try Divinity: original sin
the story is kinda retarded but otherwise I had fun.

>How can anyone be interested in fantasy settings at this point? I'm talking the base Tolkien shit, elves, dwarfs n shit...its utterly boring at this point, at least with other genres like sci fi you have more opportunity to make a unique race or ship design etc.

but then when people try to do something different, you get shit like numenera. okay monte cook, we get it, you're totally ~WEIRD~ and **UNPREDICTABLE** but your mechanics are garbage and your setting is way more interesting on paper than it ever has been in practice

teach me, senpai

>opinions of a nostalgic retard

dual classing is one of the worst game mechanics I've ever seen in any game. it makes zero sense and you basically can't even do it unless you've played the game 3 times before, because you'll just be fucking yourself up. I don't know if it was the same in P&P, but it seems to be tacked on because all the classes are just -1 thac0 or +1 spell per day every level up

>charisma on a warrior

yeah and I'm talking to generation nostalgia dipshit who thinks charisma shouldn't do anything more than reduce store prices by 1%. fairly sure intelligence and wisdom also do absolutely nothing unless you're a wizard or cleric also

>dual classing is one of the worst game mechanics I've ever seen in any game
opinion of an underage retard
> who thinks charisma shouldn't do anything more than reduce store prices by 1%
well at least it's not a homogenized shit stat system of poe, that's for sure

The start of this quest was good, then it became cringe as fuck. The whole cultist thing was straight out a teenage fan fic'.

>shit stat system of poe

yeah baldur's gate so much better

>ok so I want maxed dex and con
>max str if I hit people
>max whatever my spellcasting stat is if I'm a spellcaster

so deep, so much variety. I'm so underaged for not being a mouthbreathing nostalgiafag and actually seeing the flaws of games I like

and if you think dual classing is sensible you really should just kill yourself

>wow such a great game mechanic now I can make my cheese katana wizard like every other shitter weeb

I think it shows the tone of the game pretty well. It's better then biowares disney world fantasy adventure at least. For instance the mother whose son went missing near the docks would have been found crying in a alley in a bioware game. Instead he stabbed some people harassing a prostitute and was pushed into the water and drowned.

>so deep, so much variety
much more than
>your stat choices don't matter at all because it would offend casual auditory

>and if you think dual classing is sensible you really should just kill yourself
opinion of an underage retard

Edgy shit where you don't care about anything because half the quest giver tries to fuck you over

Is there some way to start a new character only for the expansion pack or do i have to replay the first couple of sections of the original game to be the right level?

I'll take edgy over pg-13 any day.

That's one of my main grief with the game. Your character can speak to the dead, you'ld expect more than just this quest and a few hallucinations here and there. When they say that you character is losing his mind...you absolutely don't have this feeling. It comes out of nowhere. Honestly, I think that the dreams with Irenicus in BG2 are better done to push you to find Imoen/Irenicus than the whole Watcher thing in PoE. I have the feeling that this is really an unfinished business. They could have done something really different from a roleplay perspective, something close to what happens in Planescape Torment when you discover several of your past incarnations. Instead, it remained totally unimaginative.

>is Pillars of Eternity like that?
Hell no, it's a trash mob clearing simulator.

The latter. Unscaled expansion is about level 7-9 content. Yes, it's extremely retarded.

Yeah that was a weak point. Even something as simple a BG2s dream sequence showing the watcher clearly under stress would have been a significant improvement. Instead we just get "ghosts" popping up at seemingly random times that are supposed to be memories of your souls past lives.

I really don't get this, i could see myself picking up the expansions when i had some time to waste but no way i am going to replay the first half of the game. Hopefully i can find some of my older save files somewhere.

This game is such a fucking bore

We agree. It's a thing I noticed in a lot of RPG : they say that your character is "special", he is not just a successful adventurer,..but sometimes, after the introduction, they forget about it.

When it's well done, the result is great : you feel that your character is a son of Bhaal in Baldur's Gate 2 (the history revolves around your soul, you start to gain powers that you can't really control etc.) and in Planescape Torment your past lifes matter : you meet a lot of people who met you before, you uncover the plots of your past incarnations, the informations they left for you etc. Again, the history revolves around it.

In PoE...does it really matter to be a Watcher? It's used as a weak way, at the very end of the game, to explain the plan/motivations of the villain (suddenly you see a ghost which explains everything) but it is not really related to it. I really regret that they did not exploit more the idea. They could have done something great with someone who sees the dead and the living alike, just like someone who walks between two world, a man who can speak to the past incarnations of the people etc. That's why I do believe there was potential in the plot but was very disappointed with the bland story we got.

except they do matter, because the stats actually do things

>opinion of an underage retard

great explanation of why dual classing isn't cancer

>except they do matter
+0.5 second to 10 second long buff
+1% accuracy
oh wow they really make a difference

yeah, as opposed to

>the flavour text says it's real important
>but actually it does literally nothing

a jump from 18 to 19 STR in bg alone is more important than all stats in poe together

yeah that 18/01-00 strength situation in bg is near dual-class levels of poorly thought out nonsense. I just cannot even imagine what the point of it is, or why they would feel the need

Play Age of Decadence.