How the fuck did we deal with playing splitscreen multiplayer on standard definition CRT TVs?

How the fuck did we deal with playing splitscreen multiplayer on standard definition CRT TVs?
>splitting 480p up to potentially 4 different screens
cantseeshit.jpg

Other urls found in this thread:

store.steampowered.com/app/301970/
youtube.com/watch?v=iGQqjVsLXlk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I hated 4 player split screen for this reason, but split screen worked well enough.

You just sit really close to the TV.

I do miss pulling an all nighter and going through Halo 2 with my buddy.

It's not even easy when playing in HD.
>tfw playing bro op with friends and cousins
PCfriends can shit on Halo for not being Quake all they want but it's fun as fuck.

Nobody's shitting on halo because it's not quake.

source: pc fag that had a blast with Halo 1-3 back in the day.

Most of Cred Forums isn't old enough to know what split screen 480i actually looked like.

>he didn't had multiple consoles and multiple tvs to play coop in system link
Lmaoing @ ur life fäm

because ________________________it was fun___________

for the time it was okay
screenwatching was an inevitable temptation though

>he didn't grow up in the projects
H-Ha.
;_;

What about 214p 4 screen split?

>bragging about having been given things by mommy
>probably still lives with her

I'm presently laughing my ass off at your life, friend.

damnation was such a fucking shit map, goddamn

>Now have 4K TVs
>Splitscreen doesn't exist anymore
Fuckers.

it helps when the cord for the controller meant you could only sit about 5 feet from the tv

I remember that I played a race game with my friend on the ps1 were the second player drove without a second screen but got his direction through voice commands. Obvious it didn't work at all

BFD was my shit back in the day and the whole neighborhood came to run 4 player split screen everyday, they don't make em like they used to man.

xbox controllers were 9', though.

I guess it really depends on what TV you used, I had a decently sized TV and me and my friend would play Halo just fine.

also fuck Halo 5 for not having spit-screen despite the campaign being 4 player co-op...

i am and it fucking sucked. never understood how my friends could stand it

>when the game suffers massive framerate issues with 4 players

God i miss splitscreen

>mfw 3 player split screen
>that one lucky fucker with the top/bottom half to himself

I dealt with it by having a decently sized TV (29") and sitting close to it. I didn't play a whole lot of 4 player split screen though, only some dreamcast stuff. 2 player split screen for NES, SNES, and PS1 was fine for me.

split screen on a 32" lcd screen was decent I guess. I worked fine for halo. I've not played split screen anything since halo 3, since my friend have pretty much stopped playing vidya and would rather play the stock market.

What was that 4 player multiplayer game that you loved but almost no one else knew about
Geist multiplayer was fucking top notch
>Possesion shenanigans
>Everyone rushing for the secret character
>That OP as fuck sub machine gun that could throw bombs
>That music
>These fun as fuck powerups

No idea, but it was so much fun.

this one for me

if you collected all the secret chips you could use the final boss in multiplayer which was bullshit

Because it was all we had.

/thread

>ending a thread with your own post

You're a top tier faggot

Could literally have 1080p for each screen

>Metal Arms
Holy fuck I thought I was the only one who played this game.

Do you think any computer within a reasonable price range could run a game at 1080p on four separate screens?

Metal Arms was a fucking cult classic. It was also the game that made you into "that kid" because of all the crazy ass shit you could do in it.

It's not super popular but it's one of the first games to come up in hidden gem threads

Do you think it couldn't? Splitscreen when done right is only slightly slower than playing solo

Got this game from a discount bin at my local gamemania for like 3 or 5 euros after people hyped it up on here. I personally thought the controls were too poor for it to be really enjoyable.
Wasn't the biggest fan of the style too, but i'll admit that the guys i did meet in the game had character.

I think our eyes were just a lot better.

4k is way outside the price range of most people to start with. As is stands most computers run 1080p at only an acceptable rate in most games.

4 player splitscreen is not only not in demand anymore, it would cause every virgin on this board to lose their shit at even the most minor loss in graphic fidelity.

>tfw recently bought 2 PS2s along with iLink cable (aka firewire)
>tfw also bought 2 copies of Armored Core 2, Another Age, and AC 3
>tfw no friends to play with and get gud together with

Feels bad man.

We were children having a good time with our friends. It's not a matter of the graphics being good, we didn't care about that. It was just about having fun.

How does that work, anyway? I always figured the game would have to do twice as much work to render two copies of the game world (or 3 or 4).

Ah cool. I lived in a small town so I was lucky to even have the cult classics. Had no internet for the longest times so I didn't know about a lot of stuff.

Barely got to play the multiplayer sadly, I would wreck my friends and then they'd not want to play since they weren't having fun.

Yeah but I can't see shit nowadays, pretty sure my eyes were just better.

I'll play with you on the condition you live within 45 mins of Oakland County, Michigan.

Also you can't be black or arab.

If you don't focus on certain things they vanish. I don't know it worked great I wasn't bothered by it.
The most awesome sessions I had was when I was at a friend who had a brother and we had 4 playes and each team had their own tv in a seperate room. Now that's real social MP if you ask me.

But what if i'm both black and arab?

Then no deal.

Sure you could do that, or you could render the world once and spawn 4 individual perspectives that each render to a specific screen space

Simple geometry and basic colours, easy

what if i'm an asian fuccboi

>mfw a game with no widescreen mode splits the screen vertically instead of horizontally
>mfw the game also runs like shit in split screen
>mfw vertical split screen in general

Then you fail the first criteria, as there are no asians here outside of that one adpoted korean kid in every high school who ends up having an identity crises and killing himself before 25.

One of my friends had one of those xbox huge tvs in the mid 90's. It was like having the rest of our normal tvs glued together.
It was god awful playing 4 player split screen on it.

Games were designed such that you could adequately see everything on a fourth of the screen because they were meant to be played on a square screen.

Now games are made for rectangular displays, widescreen. One good example I can think of is Mario Kart 8. The tracks were all designed such that you can see what's coming up ahead and what's to your sides if you're playing wide screen. Once you get others playing with you the game becomes almost impossible because you can't properly see the tracks ahead of you.

I remember there was a map where you could possess a bat and rockets in that, and we always tried to kill the guy in the bat while piloting the rockets.
The stupid shit in that game was great.

Screenpeekers should be gassed

I live an hour away from you, this cute boipussy could be all yours.

store.steampowered.com/app/301970/

That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Might be the only second person shooter in existence.

>Playing Lost Planet 2 splitscreen
>For some reason instead of evenly splitting the screen the game shoves each view into a corner
>Trying to play this on my small ass CRT
>Genuinely no clue what the fuck is going on

Where abouts? Boipussy aside I really will play with you if you're close.

>that picture
GAMES JUST AREN'T THE SAME ANYMORE

I never fucking understood what absolute cock-inhaling retard came up with this for games. World at War did the same thing.

what if i'm only interested in your dik and not the games?

Capcom always do this with their HD games to maintain the correct aspect ratio.

I discovered it accidentally when it was released in Xbox One, def gonna buy it someday, it really looks cool

Then you can suck it while I play games. You do you.

they did because they were too lazy to make the game for a larger aspect ratio

>that image

nightfire, I love you user

RE5 did this too, it's to keep the 16:9 aspect ratio. If it filled the entire width of the screen you'd have a 32:9 aspect ratio. Maybe the engine can't even handle other aspect ratios or it's a designer choice. I'm guessing it was a choice, I remember there being a tiny controversy among autists because in Halo 3 you had a bigger FOV or something.

If you have a big TV it's no problem but yeah I don't particularly like it either. A friend of mine was still using like an 18 inch 4:3 SDTV near the start of the 360 generation and I can't even imagine what this would look like on that. We did play Gears of War on it though and it was aight.

Making it work for a larger aspect ratio is literally changing one number in your projection matrix though, I just have a hard time imagining that's the case.

>tfw playing bfd 4 player multiplayer on a 13 inch tv

>Making it work for a larger aspect ratio is literally changing one number in your projection matrix though, I just have a hard time imagining that's the case.
not really. the wider the view, the lower the FPS. game probably ran like shit with the standard split screen view so they cheated

It would be fun if I had friends

Oh man, good times.

>"Mort aux Tediz!"

>splitscreen gone
>cheat codes are gone

what's next?

gameplay

free will

Some Bonkle parts can be useful in mocs bro.
Gaylo1 and 2 were great couch-co-op games.

I wouldn't personally display stuff like that, but whatever.

nightfire was the best fire.

youtube.com/watch?v=iGQqjVsLXlk

>mfw 4 player split screen at native 4k meaning each player gets their own 1080p view

We're literally living in the future

Pcfriends shit on Halo for its shitty hit detection.

It's still more fun than practically everything out now though

>tfw playing Halo: CE co-op on a 8" portable TV/DVD

We played outside via extension cords so we could play it in the hot tub outside in winter. Cold cokes chilling in the snowbank and the steam pouring out of the tub while you breathe in cold winter air. I'll never forget those times.

Wish I still had friends.

Goddamn it Ian stop screenpeeking you faggot

>or you could render the world once and spawn 4 individual perspectives
You have absolutely no idea what are you talking about, am I correct?

He's not wrong tho the assets only have to be loaded once.

>played this with my friends for my 14th birthday
I have no fucking clue how i managed to play with a tiny ass screen.

Loading assets into memory isn't done each frame anyway. To render 4 views you need to run all the shader stages 4 times, there's no way around it. The only things you can maybe share between them in terms of rendering is postprocessing stuff and maybe the UI.

The poster is suggesting that "rendering" actually creates a 3D world in memory that the views then sample from, when in reality "rendering" is done by projecting all the 3D objects in view into a 2D space, which loses all the information that would be necessary to render it from another viewpoint.

>metal arms

Hello underage b&

Big House is best map.
Rivet Gun and Ripper are best Weapons.

Nintendo still does Split Screen

Agent Under Fire > Nightfire

All 007 games = shit

I will never understand why you fags love them so much.

The nostalgia mostly, but for same room multiplayer they were god tier until Halo took over. Goldeneye for n64 and Agent Under Fire for Xbox were my early shooter game favorites until I got into Halo really bad when 2 came out.

I'd agree, but agent under fire didn't have ai bots on the ps2. Also nightfire's story was way cooler

We didn't have CoD splitscreen back then so we played 007.
Incidentally both games at least tried to run 60FPS.

That sucks, i played so many matches against AI on Xbox lol, I ended up being too good for even the best AI at one point.

>Your best friend was a dirty Screenlooker

Yes, I said it Luke

SCREEN
LOOKER

Fuck you Luke that's why we always invite Kevin instead of you