It has come to my attention that there are children on this board who have not played Deus Ex

it has come to my attention that there are children on this board who have not played Deus Ex

It has come to my attention that OP is a faggot.

>That image
But it does, it rewards thinking and consideration, allowing more build variety.
>Can just kill guard from afar
>Or up close
>Or lure him around a corner and kill him
>Or lure him and run in
>Or SMASH! through roof, then kill guard, cause he'll hear you
>Or open terminal door which may or may not alert the guard, kill him if the door is loud enough to alert him
>Or lock pick the roof grate
Multiple paths are good.

That's ok, Deus Ex is super out-dated now anyways.

if every problem in the game can be solved in this manner then it makes the choices you make while building your character completely pointless

> it rewards thinking and consideration
shit man, Deus Ex boiled down to "do I have more lockpicks or smarttools at the moment?"

no it doesn't? Why would it? You can choose how to go about a task, and doing it in different ways is a different experience, and sometimes has different rewards. There are bits of content that can only be picklocked, only be hacked, only be swam into, etc.

There's also the big moral quandry of the game. I remember playing through lethally and after killing a load of guards came across their footlockers, one of them had a note from his wife and kids telling him to be safe and come home soon. That in itself is a good reason to use the different paths- maybe I want to be a moralfag. The game clearly steers you toward it.

You have abysmal taste if superficial things make you unable to enjoy old games

I haven't played it but I'm not a child :D

DE. LETE. THIS.

Dishonored actually does it right.

There's no punishment to go along with the path your build opens up in terms of gameplay and reward

If it's just a matter of slotting your character into the correct door according to your skill build the game boils down to "press forward and mouse1 to win"

>the game boils down to "press forward and mouse1 to win"

I'll take kids that haven't ever played Deus Ex in their life for $500

I just wish games would have more branching.

Even in games like TellTale's where they try to pretend your choices matter (outside of a few model swaps/3 lines of dialogue changes) you still get steered towards the same ending.

But yeah, developing a singular path (with a bit of variation) is already expensive/time consuming enough as it is ,I guess.

Played it for the first time recently and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Sorry uncle, I actually have a diagnosis for ADD. If I show that to you will you leave me alone?

Oddly enough, Black Ops 2's campaign has the most branched story mode I've ever played. Nearly everything you do in the game matters

>'dumb' FPS has more influence on ending than RPG
wow

yknow i really liked deus ex but in general if a game presents me with "multiple paths" the only choice I have to make is which one to do first
cause if i can easily do all of them then i definitely am, i just get more shit that way. later DX games even give you exp for crawling through vents, hacking terminals etc. even if you've already found a different way to complete the objective, they encourage just doing everything. EXP for knocking people out means there's no reason to just sneak by, either.

You should play more VNs

Warren Spector stated the team didn't want players to feel out of control of the story. They didn't want minor descions to effect the overall plot