ITT: Vidya Literature

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ElYJNhw1KzE
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69976385/Game-Design-Companion-Wario-Land-4.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Remember that Mario did WTC, folks.

>movieblob

>Book I

There's more than one book of Steve being stinky?

It's kind of all over the place at times, but it's still a fairly solid read

This one was fairly good, actually. It was mostly about the big games which made changes in the industry, starting with Pac-Man and wrapping up with Bioshock or Halo.

It's an ok retrospective about Nintendo

Metal Gear Solid has a novel

It is somewhat inaccurate to the tone of the game

Isn't that the author of A Billionaire Dinosaur Forced Me Gay?

what the fuck is this? Did they interview 6 year olds for these?

And Pounded in the Butt byMy Own Book "Pounded in the Butt by My Own Butt". And Pounded in the Butt by the Socioeconomic Repercussions of Britain Leaving the EU.

yeah he's made a lot of books

>vomit onto a keyboard
>call it Minecraft
>kids will buy it

>takes time out of talking about Super Mario to discuss how he didn't want to go to his grandmother's funeral and how everyone looked down on him for leaving early

This must be the work of an enemy stand.

Looks like Steven Seagal.

I wish there were more non-fiction about development, and development history ala Raising the Bar (from what I hear) and Masters of Doom. I don't think anyone's interested in the HISTORY of games, but specific games or developers.

Every book that is like
just seem to cover such a broad topic that I might as well read a CRACKED article instead

it is

>one of the only vidya books worth reading is Untold History of Japanese Game Developers
>the author is nuts though

I feel like this is a trend...

isn't that smb3 brick by brick book INCREDIBLY autistic? and he talks about being like 35 and living with his parents and camping out for a SNES or something?

what the fuck is this? Did they interview 6 year olds for these? Now i'm angry, why is this atrocity and crime against mankind in printed form allowed?

What, you want an entire book about crunch time and working overtime in order to get a game out? What exactly are you looking for?

Are there pdfs for those HG101 books? I'm interested in reading them but not enough to buy.

anyone have this as a kid? i have it on my shelf. don't remember ever reading it though

You need a developer that isn't scum to write about.

I unironically liked the 4 DOOM novels with Flynn "Fly" Taggert.

HG101's books are all just content pulled from the site, or to be added to the site.

If you mean Sketch's books, yeah PDFs exist for those. I know as soon as volume 3 hits, I'm going to share those links.

You're obnoxious.

The story about Destiny's production, or a piece on Blizzard, or maybe like a story about the development Spelunky??? Could you not think of these things or were you just trying to be a dick?

Masters of Doom is one of my favorites.

I also read a few of those Nintendo CYOA books as a kid.

That book is like American Psycho but without the biting satire or bitter self-awareness.

is that the picture I took of that??

I don't know user, you tell me

Are the Boss Fight books worth a read?

Say that to my face and see what happens! I eat punks like you for breakfast.

if it is then you're a redditor and should leave here

>it's a VidLit episode

Seconding this. He also wrote a book about GTA, which I haven't gotten around to reading.

Good lord what a pathetic loser.
He's so feeble-minded.

Is this just about Doom or Id during their Quake/Doom era?

Yeah, and it's really interesting.

>Masters How Two Guys Created An Empire And Transformed Pop Culture Of Doom

What an awkward title

So it's about Id in general, or JUST Doom? I'm sure it's interesting either way.

>The story about Destiny's production, or a piece on Blizzard, or maybe like a story about the development Spelunky?
Here's the problem: Are you looking for the story behind Destiny's production, or are you looking for the process they went through to arrive at the game they did?

If you want the story, then you're looking for something like Indie Game: The Movie, or even what I mentioned here. Which, despite what you thought, actually went into some of the development behind a game like Bioshock such as arguments between the developers and publishers over how much time to spend on game polish.

If you are more concerned about game design, then you are better off with a postgame analysis. Despite your claims, a story about how people ended up coming up with ideas won't be as helpful as actually seeing what ideas work best. Game Design Companion is one which I've heard good things about, and the same guy does have some Youtube videos where he breaks down and goes through the analysis of each stage in Wario Land 4.

People like you are the reason why we have Undertale and ponzi schemes

This is the book where Bob called the consoles wars his own personal vietnam right?

I would be interested, specifically in the case of Destiny, a tell-all about how the idea came about all the way to what it ended up being. Something like that would include the inter-studio drama between the creative leads that we only know rumored things about, the various versions of Destiny that almost made it but didn't. The story about how the creators of one of the largest games of the past generation set out to do it again with biiiiig plans and then fell apart.

I'm not looking for a study about design-philosophy, but I agree that post-game analysis would be where to go for that instead of what I'm looking for. That "fifty years of video game conquered pop culture" book is like a study of a phenomenon from the sounds of it, not quite an insightful expose on a single subject.

Rockstar games could also use a non-fiction book about that studio's drama and history.

Yeah, its about how I'd began and how they all went their separate ways. It spans from their early Commander Keen stuff to when Daiktana flopped.

Aweeesome. I'm almost done with my current book and plan to read that next. Thanks user.

Hard to say. That's not because such things are difficult to find, but it's difficulty to really recommend anything without having read it yet. I've not found anything about Destiny, although I did find a 40-minute Youtube video about Rockstar.

youtube.com/watch?v=ElYJNhw1KzE

It seems to waste a bit of time - it looks like a number of independent episodes pasted together, and left the intros/extros in - but listening to the first ten minutes or so, it seems rather informative about the developers and corporation overall.

I think the problem with discussing the drama and history specifically is that, unless you have someone right there to record it - or unless it was grandiose enough to warrant people talking about it - the drama is going to be fairly limited and minor. I mean, I can find some videos about game developers having spectacular meltdowns that wrecked their company (although this is far more interesting when talking about politicians) but there's little, probably no, guarantee that it would be about Rockstar.

The Resident Evil novels from the games were pretty good. Not like you could do much out of them (except maybe Code Veronica), but it was nice reading them.

I'm not saying I am waiting for someone to share them as I know they already exist - these don't exist yet; I want people to make these kinds of stories.

There was a decent Kotaku article about Destiny's drama but it was still relatively small.

>ah good goy bought my shitty kindle book I wrote in 30minutes and gave me his shekels

>too bad you cant read it because i didnt give a fuck when I wrote this bunch of shit

??????

At least the last one there sort of resembles a joke

You just had to bring up that joke book back, didn't you?

There's a Dark Souls comic, and it's fucking trash. It has NOTHING to do with the game, and the only thing even from Dark Souls in it is Solaire, who shows up for like half a page for no reason and acts 100% out of character. The armor/character designs and overall art are the antithesis of what makes Dark Souls design good.

Dare i say he's "our" guy?

Can someone post some Ready Player One? This thread isn't cringey enough

>this is how fartfags will be made in the future
JUST

are you dumb? the original thread was right here on Cred Forums, hell there were like 50 pages of this garbage writing, the "destroy" punchline and synonyms accounted for like a third of the book

RP1 is fun, but it's so obnoxiously nostalgic. I still look forward to the movie ESPECIALLY knowing Spielberg has stripped most references out of it.

haha

>what would Mario and Link think?

More importantly, what would Kratos think? We should have torn each other limb from limb until only one side survived.

Well then

>Mario was not a Pet Rock, damn it - he was my friend, the thing that was getting me through the misery of pre-adolescence. I needed him to matter so that the time and energy I'd invested into him mattered
Holy shit this is the most pathetic thing I've ever read.

Good for some nostalgia-faggery. There are some BS "new" entries in here like Army of Two: 40th Day.
I say
>new
Because the last edition was in 2010. So it's missing out on 6 years worth of viable replacements.

the original image was posted on reddit dummy

yes and? it was posted here first.

oh shit, i think i remember this.
But i was like 8 so i can't remember if it was good or shit.

>what would these fictional characters who serve as nothing more as vehicles for people playing a video game think of us?

dis nigga for real?

the fucking belt

I read this the other day. It's surprisingly good. I mean, if you know the games you'll see where it's going a mile away, but the actually good parts lie in the original story. It's not scary but it's got this woefully nostalgic tone to it. If it weren't so bound by the title It'd be hard to criticize. I recommend checking it out.

Thanks for perpetuating the old myths about the original version of Samurai Pizza Cats being a boring serious show and the original creators liking the dub more, Moviebob. I can easily prove that junk wrong, but no one will listen to me since I'm just a nobody and you're an e-celeb and all.

I used to have the pdf version of this, but I lost it. I wish I could get it again.... It was not bad.

Actually, I found it

dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69976385/Game-Design-Companion-Wario-Land-4.pdf

What is it even about?

It is very vexing.

pretty good read if you're into this stuff

bunch of interviews and stories with and about some lesser known people like kenji eno who is amazing

Mystery inc return to their childhood town to go to a ceremony commemorating their friend who went missing at freddy's. The main character is the daughter of the guy who made the animatronics so they all have a nostalgia for the place. They visit it (5 times) and shit gets weirder each time. There's a security guard, but he isnt the protagonist. I's sort of a story about memory. I'm not sure you'd wanna be paying for it but it isn't too long.

I think I would've preferred it to be about Mike sweating in his office and stopping a killer robot every half hour

That'd be the obvious route, yeah. I mean, I'm no writer, but i think it'd be hard to make a full length book out of that premise.