Why did the state of JRPGs shift from epic action, swords and magic, fantasy...

Why did the state of JRPGs shift from epic action, swords and magic, fantasy, and an actual adventure to slice of life cute girls doing cute things?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=p3jw89oIjmQ
pc98.org/main.html
dualshockers.com/2016/08/30/fairy-fencer-f-advent-dark-force-interview-director-talks/
amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-021571
youtube.com/watch?v=GJMD3eO7tpE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

It didn't.

Fan service.

The fantasy adventure move onto WRPGs, since then the JRPGs survived on the moeblob audience.

They got destroyed by WRPGs in western markets, so now they just focus on what jap consumers want.

fantasy is boring, so you had to add a twist

both are the same game tho

This.

FFXV looks really strange to me. It's hard to get even as half as excited for it as I did for single digit FFs.

Nice bait user, those are from the same game.

Because of the otakus.

Most of the JRPG out there are literal Kusoge or would be considered as kusoge if they were out in the 6th gen.

Compile Hearth use to be Kusodevs but now their games sell because the fat otakus in japan buy anything as long its moe.

Because you're looking way to far from the good JRPGs. No one told you to play Compile heart games.

>shitting on Fairy Fencer

these are both from the same series, same game even

op fuck off, those are the same game.

Eryn best girl

>from the same game
It's almost like OP is just baiting and you are all replying.

>defending Compile Heart shit

If this is the same game, explain how this girl is so cute.

It was too tied to the same audience as anime is.
Therefor they had to target Otaku

Because people have selective memory and forget all of the shit.

there's more than moeshit as anime. and moeshit isn't the most popular of anime. Naruto and One Piece still dominate. So why aren't JRPGs relfective of those types of anime

The PS Vita

When we all grew up and realized our greatest ambitions in life were to be cute girls with oddly colored hair.

Otaku shitters.

Looks like an improvement to me.

JRPGs were always shit.

Japs never understood what RPG stands for.

How so? RPGs in video game context originated as dungeon crawlers in the vein of Wizardry, the formula which Japan has followed closely. The narrative driven games you're likely thinking of didn't come until much later.

>slice of life cute girls doing cute things
Nah. More like fanservice and shit. Also moeblobs.

Look about the same.
jrpgs always sucked

I never said WRPGs got it right either, at least not in the beginning.

Japs simply copied an already flawed design and never improved upon it.

Sounds like you're another wannabe fa/tg/uy parroting false definitions for nerd cred.

Dungeon crawl exists in tabletop environment as well. And yes, it is also very much RPG.

it's almost like it's not them being baited but the sperglords that make images like that and seriously discuss it

It still doesn't excuse the fact that there has been more moeshit than ever.

No bias

Still more packed with moeshit than ever.

fucking cry about it

WHAT THE FUCK HAPPENED!?

>all games by Compile Heart are inherently bad'
>What is Moe Chronicle
End yourself

You know, if you actually want to compare NOW and THEN you should at least compare it with the same company
Like Vesperia to the trash that was Zestiria
But user you don't get it! They made the first neptunia which everyone agrees is trash so EVERY GAME THEY MAKE is trash!

Isn't that the game where you jack off your Vita to beat enemies? Because that shit's laughable

My only concern about JRPGs is that consoles are dying out in favor to handhelds/mobileshit in Japan and I'm worried that eventually we'll stop seeing JRPGs at some point getting good development time/budgets + they're trying too hard to appeal to westerners with Open worlds and only few devs bother with turn based anymore.

Turn based is archaic, outdated style of gameplay, and actions RPGs have always been better.

Dungeon crawlers themselves were trying to imitate D&D, but only had the hardware to simulate the levelling and exploring part. Then the japs took that and went off on a completely different tangent that had nothing to do with role playing at all. Western RPGs are still striving to replace traditional RPGs, which is why moral alignments, customization, classes and branching narratives have become popular.

>turn based is archaic, outdated
(You)
>action RPGs have always been better
subjective, I enjoy them too though

>one of those faggots

>Isn't that the game where you jack off your Vita
Yep.

It still cracks me up how women are just designing panties for the characters

Everyone realized that westerners do western high fantasy better than easterners.

At the very least they try a bit harder.

I love this game.

Could you explain the whole "it's not really an RPG therefore it's bad" mentality to me? Do you hate shmups, RTS, FPS, turn based tactics, action adventure, etc. because they aren't RPGs either?

You can sadly say the same thing about anime.

>it's not explained and not japanese so it shouldnt be there

I wish I had the hataraku maou sama version of that picture.

I found an anime version.

not true. The most popoular anime right now are one piece, naruto, bleach, dragon ball S, and a whole lot of actual good action anime. Akame Ga Kill is really popular too. Moeshit is only popular on Cred Forums, which is a tiny niche.

Games on the other hand, have more moeshit games in comparison. For every 3 Neptunia game, there's 1 Final Fantasy or Persona. Even Tales of games are turning more and more moeshit waifu crap. Look at the newest game, it features yet again a cute girl.

When people started making anime for money and not to tell a story

Games were already at that point, they were bound to mix at some point

Yeah I miss the old days too.

markets change. adapt or be a memory

maou's picture doesn't even make sense, since that's not how 1982 anime was drawn.

Games are changing, not anime. I already countered the anime is all moeshit argument. It's simply not true. But it is true for video games.

>Moeshit is only popular on Cred Forums, which is a tiny niche.
Your argument is invalid because idolshit exists
>For every 3 Neptunia game, there's 1 Final Fantasy or Persona
Well to be fair, games like neptunia or atelier are made on far smaller budget and don't try to re-invent the rpg formula or break some sort of mold, it's hardly their fault that Atlus kept jerking off P4 with its spin-offs or that SE tried to revive the same game for 10 years

Amano's art was always overrated as fuck

It didn't. There's just more variety now so you feel like you have less even though you have more

None of the pictures actually look like the time they represent desu

I guess Bloodborne and Dark Souls are too moe for you.

Epic fantasy games take a long time to make, cheap anime games take about five minutes to make. Therefore their release frequency is about 1:5.

Why do they draw legs like a pair of surgical claw grips now? Legs don't twist that way.

Fanservice is easier and cheaper.

As someone who grew up with 70s/80s/90s/early 2000s anime i can't really stand the new, modern generic artstyle.

Japan's current pop culture is maybe the less appealing ever since about the last 1000 years or whatever.

Neither of those games are RPGs. Theyre action games like metroidvania. Just because it has stats doesn't mean it's a rpg. You would never call symphony of the night an RPG.

>Cute high school girl pilot a robot
Moeshit too the max

That's funny, because as someone who grew up with 70s/80s/90s/early 2000s anime I find the new art styles from Japanese artist to be more attractive than ever before. I always felt something was 'missing' in the art in the past but now it feels like anime and games have changed their art to suit my tastes.

You don't actually play video games.

Atleast we can all agree that SMT is the best JRPG franchise

youtube.com/watch?v=p3jw89oIjmQ
Oh yeah, so best

You make that sound like its a bad thing

I think this all ties into my "cute girls compensate for bad graphics" theory.

Millions of dollars worth of high-definition assets and cutscenes serve the same eyecandy role as a couple CGs of cute girls.

Dancing all Night isn't a JRPG

that's not a robot, just a guy in a suit of armor

Otaku scum will buy any piece of shit so long as it has cute girls on the cover. Jap devs are just exploiting that

>The most popoular anime right now are one piece, naruto, bleach, dragon ball S, and a whole lot of actual good action anime.
Even moeshit is better then that trash.

>The most popoular anime right now are one piece, naruto, bleach, dragon ball S, and a whole lot of actual good action anime. Akame Ga Kill is really popular too.

How can one person be so wrong and oblivious?

It's all Kyonai's fault

>implying Persona threads aren't waifufag hives

Still has aesthetic demon designs and engaging gameplay with much content

>using Persona as example when there are literally 19+ other games

>and engaging gameplay with much content

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Persona is literally babby SMT gameplay with terribly designed dungeons, well the ones before P5 anyways.

>engaging gameplay
Isn't the entire gameplay just "spam weakness"?

Amano's designs don't transfer to 3d models well.

>muh edgy and cool action cartoons

>Using Breath of Fire's terribad box art
>Especially when Breath of Fire 1 is as generic of a JRPG as you can get
>Mentioning Tales when it's existed since the SNES days and has always been an anime as fuck franchise
>Ignoring titles like the Atelier series which have been around since the PSX days if not earlier

Lel

funny thing is only 2 of those games are good

>is posting on Cred Forums
>hates anime style

What level of shitposting is this with what level of irony?

>muh trashy overly saccharine little girls

>shitposting
>irony
Oh you poor, poor bastard, Cred Forums has nothing to do with anime or japanese stuff in general, not after this like gamergate which invited tumblr, SJW's and reddit here, this place is now reddit 2.0, have fun and remmeber, you can't run away

>hating moeblob shit means hating anime

What game is this, I'd love that moe shit

There's nothing moeshit about fucking Fairy Fencer F. Maybe the game itself is, but the cover isn't (I haven't played it). Ditto for many games here.

>epic action, swords and magic, fantasy, and an actual adventure
Sounds boring as f m8.

7th Dragon III: Code VFD

you have a fuck ton of VAs for your characters

>and then he posts a game that sold only because it was yurishit and then people agreed that its shit

>modern JRPG characters are either extremely overdesigned on the clothing front, or wear highschool uniforms

WRPGS are boring as shit. I'd rather just play some weaboo grind fest than a westaboo grind fest.

Though it could be argued RPGs are just dying as a genre in the traditional sense of the word like the old FF games.

>game that sold
>its not even out yet

Oh right that shit got a sequel somehow, forgot that

What game is that?

is that an anthology series or do you have to play the earlier games to understand what's going on.

Nights of Azure 2

Mainstream rpg is pretty dead. People who says that stuff like The Witcher 3 or Fallout 4 are actually wrpgs are clueless retards.

The difference here is that while there is a decent wrpg resurgence/revival thanks to kickstarter, jrpgs now are only relegated to Compile Heart garbage and hardly anything else.

>This game will never be on PC

I must say, neptunia vii was , god forgives me, the best jrpg of the year, and thats really fucking sad

You get along just fine without playing the others.

But 7th Dragon (DS) and 7th Dragon 2020 (PSP) have fan translations. But the DS one is archaic as hell

I found Trillion to be slightly better than Neps.

>the best jrpg of the year
That was TMS#FE though.

I'll have to disagree.

I think the very concept of relying on Kickstarter games for your gaming needs very rarely ever works.

While I can to an extent agree on the monopoly CH has on JRPGs with the occasional Nippon Ichi or rehash from Square, I find that their inability to really change from formula is actually working in their favour.
When you pick up an Atelier game for example, you know exactly what you're getting.

People keep trying to add too much into video games and force extra elements in an RPG where they don't need to be.

Best JRPG of the year was Odin Sphere remake though

>tfw hate moeshit game but also a /u/fag

but there doesn't exist yurishit that isn't moeshit

>I must say, neptunia vii was , god forgives me, the best jrpg of the year, and thats really fucking sad
Now how shit was the competition in japan? a friend gifted me the 2 first ones on steam and after playing them both and get 1 ending for each one, I couldnt handle it anymore and puke, I dont mind fanservice because is a good way to get some cash, but that fucking game was straight that and memeland. I can forgive a game sometimes, but those were straight shit, on the other hand I could handle Fairy Fencer and Im looking forward to the game that you can fuck up seriously and you are some short of demon.

There was barely to no moeshit in the first one though, it was just a melancholic yurishit mostly.

Is the third game have a NA release?

>That was TMS#FE though.

just because you only have a WiiU doesn't make it the failed crossover the best RPG of 2016

>Is the third game have a NA release?

Yes, an official US release

Final Fantasy VIII, X and KH cancer

Zesty was bad mostly due to Baba's faggotry, Berseria is great

Its also a compile heart game user
Thats the point, neptunia is a visual nivel with gameplay between, and it was one of the best jrpg of the year, if you like the characters you'll like the game, if no then you should play something else, fairy fencer is also a CH game, they literally made the only good jrpgs of the years, a company whose flagship is neptunia, that said, you should try trillion if you like to be a demon in your jrpgs, beware tho, compile heart surely knows how to write fucked up shit, pick related

That's not a robot, that's a dude in a fuckhuge suit of armor

>didn't played the game
Your opinion is worthless shit then m8.

>Its also a compile heart game user

and?

Point me to a WiiU emulator and I will try SMTxFE

That portrait doesn't even look like Hibiki

I just used the standard pink-haired God Hand because it reminded me of Hibiki 2.0

>tfw the most WRPG-like JRPG series continually gets ignored in Western markets because "too hard" "doesn't hold your hand" "not linear enough" "no plot reeeeeee"

>That portrait doesn't even look like Hibiki
it was the closet I could get

>I just used the standard pink-haired God Hand because it reminded me of Hibiki 2.0
never seen that show

Hes pointing it outbecause some get triggered at the company name
And was the meme humor the only thing that made you hate it? I guess thats understandable but somehow it never bothered me

Otaku came in and ruined everything. Games, Anime, Everything.
They're comparable to the SJW in the west in this department.

post more gothic lolita

>And was the meme humor the only thing that made you hate it? I guess thats understandable but somehow it never bothered me

I'm not the guy who said that I hated Neptuina. I am .

>anime then
>several frames lasting several seconds
>anime now
>lasting a fraction of the time
>"whaat happened?!"
This bait triggers me, even if I'm missing some point I'm supposed to get.

YuYuYu is good but it's a different show than Symphogear, YuYuYu is an odd combination of SoL and heavy character drama while Symphogear is cheesy action.

I'm just sad that there wasn't Ayahi so that we could get the main three in a party.

>I'm just sad that there wasn't Ayahi so that we could get the main three in a party.

and no Nanjo for a FIS party. Ended up using voices that were a max of Symphogear and SRW OG

It really is when everyone knee jerks into calling anything anime looking moeblob shit.

forgot my pic

It means that of all jrpgs mentionef, 3 are compile heart games, to keep it simple, CH is the only company that did something decent and improving overall, and thats really sad, considering, as i said earlier that its flagship is neptunia

>want to use Sugita for TRUE ACTION HERO
>autism won't let me make male characters
I'm just a shitty yurifag

>JRPG player in a nutshell

I've just been burned by shitty harem tropes and self-inserts, I feel like a lot of anime and games would be better if you removed the betamax self-insert so that the female characters could have traits that didn't involve wanting your- I mean MC's- dick.

there's no real MC in 7th dragon.

Think of it like Etrain Odyssey, as in there is no real time. Just Squad 13

But I don't use male characters in EO either

I don't know, I feel like if it wasn't for Atlus JRPGs would be doing pretty poorly right now. Between SMT, EO, and Persona they're the only ones still carrying the torch. In general I worry the entirety of the japanese market is going to way of the dodo, everything seems to be moving to mobile shovelware. Why make a game at all when otaku will shovel their parents cash in by the fistful to buy wedding rings in Kancolle.

I don't know about that user, I think you're full of bs. But having both works the best.

I fucking hate mobage. Literally any idiot can make millions from some retarded zero-gameplay mobage just by dropping out from their programming degree and hiring a half-decent artist. And the worst thing is that mobage made by big companies aren't any better or more complex than those ones.

All those games are pretty mediocre. The savior of JRPGs has always been Square, but they've been fucking up with SO5, Final Fantasy, and DQ.

They even managed to fuck up WRPGs with Eidos and MD

Square doesn't exist anymore, user.
Sorry to be the one to tell you that.

>FFshit
>not babby's first jrpg

I hate amano's art more than moeblob shit, I have no idea why people on here jerk off to his art

>defending with a mage
>using a knight because stuff is weak to a magic element
>being this illiterate in turn strats

holy shit you're dumb

Why do people still believe this shit?
>inb4 cherrypicking
pc98.org/main.html
It's like you nigs don't relize that these games just didn't get localized back then. That's like Japs believing that westerners used to be super ultra tough because they didn't get to see the Backstreet Boys when they were a thing, and then just discovered Justin Bieber.

I love these Dos 98 hentai games. Knights of Xentar was fucking awesome

Those voices, tho

Would you people play the same shit game if it had a more "mature" and "western" artstyle? Is this like the guys that think watching dubbed anime doesn't make them a weeaboo? Or like how Marvel vs Capcom isn't an "anime" fighting game despite having air dashes and retarded chains because it has your favorite superhero?

Why do people pretend undetailed, shitty looking characters out of focus are a new thing in anime?

>this game has 2 or 3 choices, so it's an RPG!
I never got that. When playing an actual RPG, you converse with your DM and make up the story interactively. The only WRPG anywhere near this level of changing details in the story is Deus Ex.

Because they refuse to acknowledge that the past was as bad as the present is.

>inb4 TENCHI MUYO ISN'T GAY ANIME HAREM SHIT BECAUSE I WATCHED IT WHEN I WAS GOING THROUGH PUBERTY AND FAPPED TO RYOKO AND THIS CONVINCED ME THAT THE SHOW WAS COOL AND ABOVE SIMILAR MODERN ANIME PURELY BASED ON IT BEING ANIMATED ON CELS!

>RYOKO
>not fapping to mioshi
No wonder you have such shit taste

you are very easily "triggered" but honestly i don't know why someone made a webm of that, considering the joke comes from the complete and utter gibberish she spews out that contributes to the joke

Let's not pretend it wasn't always the case in some form.

Tenchi Muyo isn't gay. Its very hetero.

> They got destroyed by WRPGs in western markets, so now they just focus on what jap consumers want.

It's not even that as much as Japanese audience is much much smaller by default and it's not exactly going up while western audience is getting bigger and bigger over time. At some point, most likely during the PS2 generation, JRPGs stopped selling enough to justify development costs.

>Romancing SaGa
I'll always regret JRPGs as a genre didn't develop further that whole "sandbox" approach these games had. You have, what? That and Metal Max games?

Fapping to anime girls doesn't count as being straight. You can't get your waifu pregnant.

>fapping to niggers

new age 18-20 yr old anime fans need to be slaughtered.

It worked for Stranger in Sword City

This is the most retarded thing I've read all day in this shitposting-ridden garbage dump.
Gratz, faggot.

You're projecting your tsundere nature for Ryoko very hard

Demographics. I stopped playing JRPGs when I realized they weren't being made for me anymore.

Does watching porn make you straight? No, fucking an actual woman does.

>fucking a woman makes you straight
Literally false.

>mfw you can screw yourself over and end up in no-win scenarios that will take a while to become apparent

God this is hard to watch
They're handling the consoles so roughly
I could never treat electronics like this

I agree. The communities have gotten much, much worse. Think about how great it was to discuss video games, anime, movies, et cetera 20 years ago. People were actually knowledgeable and weren't afraid to give opinions differing from the norm, but now everyone is a blind sheep and anyone that dares to question garbage is an "edgy contrarian fedora troll" or whatever. You just can't win. I know anime was always mostly garbage but it seems like modern anime fans don't even understand the concept of animation or any of the technical aspects of shows. I tried discussing Gurren Lagann with some millennials and they didn't' even know what a production company was. It's truly sad because information is even easier to access now than it was 20 years ago (another reason I think every anime fan should watch Otaku no Video) but now kids are so stupid, they don't want to look up anything because that gets in the way of Facebook time. What's next? In a few years, are people going to start unironically asking where to download RAM?

Westerners bought it because they thought it looked cool? Can we market Guilty Gear and other air dash games to Americans if we give them a Mortal Kombat-like skin?

That didn't sell well, else we'd be getting the pseduo expansion for it.

>he doesn't like Tenchi Muyo and the writer's other, great works

Speaking of, when's a War on Geminar game?

The difference is that previously there used to be a game and the game had some fanservice, these days the fanservice is the game.

That and almost every game is some sort of dungeon grinder now instead of having an actual world with an actual story where you have an actual adventure. Nope, just stay in your central town and go to dungeons to grind.

I'm a total anime pleb but would like to watch some of these anime's. Anyone know what the names of some of them are?

20 years ago internet didn't exist at least it wasn't mainstream and barely anyone had it.

I sure do miss my serious adult anime and manga for serious adults such as myself. Anyone remember Cutie Honey? We couldn't have a show like that today, not enough fanservice or nudity involving high school girls.

>then
>economy was better
>higher population
>games try to appeal to kids and teens

>now
>economy is worse
>lower population
>games try to appeal to NEET adults

>That and almost every game is some sort of dungeon grinder now instead of having an actual world with an actual story where you have an actual adventure. Nope, just stay in your central town and go to dungeons to grind.

You're talking about DRPGs now which are focused on just hitting up dungeons and loot, with some gimmick system on the side. They're not your old JRPG adventures.

What the fuck happened?

Money

So why does Youkai Watch exist? Why does Inazuma Eleven exist?

Don't you dare shit talk about Cutie Honey.

Voice acting. There's not a single other genre out there that suffered as much from mandatory voice acting the way RPGs did.

they figured out that marketing sells better than quality

Top row: No idea for all of them
Middle Row: Fate Zero, Jorgumaund, Madoka, No idea
next row: no idea, no idea, Tiger & Bunny, and I think that Bakemonotogri harem trash
following row: Psycho Pass, Haruhi, Stien's Gate, Gundam Unicorn
bottom row: No idea, no idea, no idea, Kaiji (or Akagi)

I had Internet in 1996, as did plenty of other people.

Sadly this, a remake was the best jrpg

Ghost in the Shell, Usagi Drop, Space Dandy, Harlock are the ones I can name offhandedly. I don't recognize the Gundam ones enough to tell the difference.

Usagi Drop's manga is worth reading for what happens after the time skip.

This is truth. I remember back in the early 2000s when I first start to go on gaming forums like GameFAQs you could always normally discuss games unlike now when it all about name calling like dudebro, weaboo, japan vs west, graphics whoring etc. Gaming community nowadays is cancer.

This. Baldur's Gate 2 got it right: Certain key phrases were voiced to give tone and that was it.

>Back in the 90s all anime was composed of badass fighting and robots, and it was a passtime for men
>forgets that Sailor Moon premiered in 1995

Can someone sauce the left row? Particularly the one with the pinked haired girl? I've see it posted often but never got the source.

I know Gundam but not the rest.

Pic related had full voice acting, though.

But I like Cutie Honey. I just hate wrong nostalgiafags

It's a joke image you donut
All of the series on the bottom are pre-2000

And Steambot Chronicles.

And Cardcaptor Sakura and Magic Knight Rayearth...

ITT:revisionist history

Its a meme you dip

>Atleast we can all agree that SMT is the best JRPG franchise
>posts SoLsona

I would have agreed with you if you posted a different title. I probably would have agreed even if you said P3 or DDS. But you posted the faggiest one in the franchise..

Because anime shifted accordingly.

delusional weeb spotted
move out of your parents house

That's something I never got. Goddamn, it's like there are only 3 Japanese games you are allowed to discuss without shitposting over them being Jap. How much longer until people start calling Street Fighter a weeaboo game because it has asian people in it? I remember when King of Fighters 94 came out, most people were saying stuff like "Woah, this looks cool, I'm going to try it out" and the negative comments were just "This looks like another Street Fighter ripoff" but now it's ">implying I'm going to play this weebshit ps2 game with no substance"

Speaking of which, if it came out today, would Cred Forums hate Unreal Tournament? It has black people and women in it as contestants. Same goes for Quake.

I remember when people used to get baited by this pic.

no, JRPGs that get translated and localized are primarily shonen. Nowadays, nobody makes JRPGs so that the only ones left are the ones that would have never made it overseas in the 90's. Xenogears almost never made it over.

>I probably would have agreed even if you said P3
you faggot

He did post the worst in the series but even the worst SMT game is kinda fun

Dark Souls has no waifus

Yeah, just like how being sounded is kinda sexy.

You have me slightly intrigued here: Outside of Rayearth, Sailor Moon, Magical Rhapsody and that one for really young girls on SNES that I can't recall its name, I can't think of any shoujo JRPGs, doubly so any in the past 10 years. Which ones are you talking about?

Mobile gaming took over Japan.

How is fairy fencer f?

This particular bait has a deeper meaning. Amano's art literally has nothing to do with how the finished game looks in this case. He's just for promotion. The more adventurous, pulp fantasy style he represents has been supplanted by generic motorswords and moeshit. He's just a sideshow act now.

yeah, people nowadays just don't seem to know what the word weeaboo actually means

really made me think

Gameplay wise, its a slightly more difficult Neptunia. Read: You may actually have to grind out a level here and there.

You mean mahou shoujo jrpgs? I remember Gust? was making one soon, and isn't Fairy Fencer based around magical girls as well?

You motherfuckers know that if they remade/continued your favorite 90s or 80s anime or game, you'd still be calling it shit. Look at how many of you shit on the new Berserk anime and how many of you didn't watch Shin Mazinger despite it being just as vulgar and fucked up as any other Go Nagai work. You niggers spend more time crying about shit than actually playing shit.

>its a slightly more difficult Neptunia
FFF is fucking braindead when it comes to difficulty, and if you even touch the cannons you break the entire game, theres a damn reason they added difficulty settings to the remake

Berserk 2016 is fucked up because of poor animation and bad use of CG. Replacing the original voices also created backlash.

My error, I thought we were talking of the remake.

>and isn't Fairy Fencer based around magical girls as well?
Close, but no, I don't have the link to that interview on me but FFF is kamen rider

Touché

>Gust
I had completely forgotten about the Ateliers despite owning all of the PS3 ones, most of them also on Vita, and Annie.

I don't know about FFF, but I will take the other user's opinion on it and add that I don't believe Omega Quintet -- also made by CH -- is shoujo either.

Oh, shoujo as opposed to stuffed aimed towards a shoujo audience. Gust games nowadays, particularly the Atelier series, are targeted towards girls.

We finally just got one of thr best jrpgs ever made, don't know what you guys are talking about. Shame we keep getting weebshit instead of more DQ.

How many fucking months I'm going to need to wait for them to release Advent dark force on PC

I wouldn't say they "destroyed" the western marked.
The problem was a large portion of the western marked suicided over the late 90s 3D transition, massive buyouts everywhere.
In the Reverse, The western Dungeon Crawler marked failed at transition from a 2D PC marked with ports, to a 3D PC marked with ports to consoles.

Also sort of this.
Final Fantasy is a D&D derivated series.
As do a extreme amount of NES games
But the direction changed.
But Japan has always sorta wanted what it did, so what we saw on the PSP was a trend that did ironically start on the SNES. Just not as obvious with so few pixels to tell

>literally uses designs from the DBZ guy
>he doesn't think it appeals to weeaboos

Fuck I love this show to death, I was planning to get the artbooks soon, too bad there are no good figures of them

Aren't some of the original voices dead?

I expect the announcement to happen soon after Megatag comes out(which is tomorrow), I have the original for PS3 so I skipped the PC release but I NEED the remake if only for some bro action with Sherman
Also I found that interview
dualshockers.com/2016/08/30/fairy-fencer-f-advent-dark-force-interview-director-talks/
As for new users, we’ve implemented new things to attract new fans, and also keep the title fresh for returning ones. For example, we’ve taken a “Tokusatsu” approach to the effects and direction in the game, and we heavily promoted that aspect before the release in Japan. We also brought on a critically-acclaimed Tokusatsu writer, Mr. Toshiki Inoue, as a scenario writer for FFFADF. Last, but certainly not least, we have requested Mr. Yoshitaka Amano to design the Evil Goddess and Vile God. We’ve made sure to add exciting elements like this to our game so that it won’t get drowned in the massive amount of other game releases.

>too bad there are no good figures of them
amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=FIGURE-021571

What the fuck happened? I went to gamestop to buy FFVII and no one gave a shit, but when I bought SMT IV, I got a bunch of weird looks from the employees. Is this just what modern game culture is like?

Utena too, marmelade boy also... we could keep doing this shit till tomorrow and it wouldnt even see an end of it.

DQ is normie as fuck you dumbass, in Japan laterally everyone and their mother plays it.

ADF's new routes are fucking amazingly well done.

It's like you're playing a completely new game.

And normal people also like porn. Does that not make it shameful?

Same reason why Cred Forums loves Haydee.

Yeah that's why I want it, I heard the new ones are pretty good, I already liked what they did with the original with the time travel thing and Fang approaching the same events but with more "mature" outlook on them

Kotaku happened.
>Look how gross these JAPANESE games are!
>Ugh another child sex simulator?
>Ten reasons why censorship is a good thing when it applies to games from the East.

mmm tempted but I don't like figmas that much, probably will get it when Umi gets released

Because they became a niche, especially in the west.
There are only very few JRPGs that are like those SNES "you go out on a wondrous adventure and find a land full of fantastical places and character design".

imo the Squaresoft and Enix merger was one of the worst things to happen in gaming.

Ni no kuni managed to capture the essence of the old JRPGs, even if the battle system wasn't perfect.

>bro action with Sherman
I'm triggered, I want that bastard dead in all time lines, I only bro with Apollonius and Pippin, I hope the release comes soon, my money is waiting, same for their other game about being a demon with high chances of your girl of choice dying.

i'm waiting for Fuu

I'm just going to say that one of the writers must have hated Galdo's guts because that stuff in the evil goddess route was just cruel.

You are my brethren. We think alike.

>How is fairy fencer f?

Good but get the re-release (Advent Dark Force), it has two additional story paths plus other extras

>Aren't some of the original voices dead?
I know the voice for Griffith is not dead since he is voicing Kira

yeah she can join too, but you just can't win against Umi's legs and hime cut

Idk man. But shit like this ruined atleier.

Its like at some point every man on the atleier dev team cycles just left and its all run by fuckin girls trying to make as many cute girls doing cute benign shit as possible.

Nothing after MK2 has been remotely as good because of it. (Save Escha and Logy purely because Logy was there to self insert into the rest of the cutesy girly shit.)

Fucking hilarious since their whole point seems to be being obsessed with stupid shit from Japan anyway.

Is Advent Dark Force out on PC?

He's "normal" in one of the routes and he has actual kit this time around so I want to use him in group with Fang, Galdo and Apo
Yeah man, blame another series that yours is getting worse
>Save Escha and Logy
I gave the series a try with that game, I was honestly disappointed after hearing about how good it is

Not yet.

No.

>its moe so it's bad
>he needs to self-insert

Coming, if its CH the games are always coming to pc in a later date.

I'm still pissed they replaced him in Yugioh, actually. He was Joey's first voice and he never came back for the second series.

The Arland series had Sterk and his relationship with the men around; him and Tantris fighting and him trying to prevent Gino from following his footsteps, only to fail and have Gino follow his footsteps, were some of the best moments in that.. I'm going to use the word "arc" but I don't know if that's the proper term.

Also, I can't figure out why, but E&L felt so bad compared to Ayesha; half the characters get no screen time, like the medic who could be removed from the game and it would effect nothing at all. I couldn't even bring myself to finish Shallie I cared so little for the characters. On the flipside, Ayesha was great. Good story, good characters, good combat system that would later be better in other games and Ayesha herself is the third best Atelier/MK protagonist in my opinion.

Everyone praises those games but then I tried some and they were indeed moe shit. I couldn't even stomach Escha & Logy. Ayesha was the only one I was able to finish since it's the one I started with.

Haven't tried the Mana Khemia games.

>DQ
>shameful
Enjoying good games is shameful?

at least he was still around in that route

>Remaster of FF
>Well I guess it will be a few new things
>Now hold up
Ok fine, I will pay gladly for the game again because its an actual fucking remaster, I guess the word is used too common for small shit changed then release the same game again, glad to see I was wrong with this one.

My dad beats me for playing video games instead of finding a wife, so yes.

MOE weeb shit is a new market that has more demand.

And I'm not saying that is neccasarily a bad thing, I kind of liked some of Fairy Fencer F, but the game just feels cheap.

Ultimately the people who made the old JRPG's left the industry or died. If we want games like the one's we made, that is impossible those people are dead.

There is a higher demand for those kind of games, and less demand for games that are more focused on a message or gameplay.

Very few people care about 'good' games, or 'intelligent' games.

for most games, I just use HD port because hardly anything changes (Skyrim Remaster, DmC Defenitive Edition, etc...)

but FFF Advent Dark Force, the game is a full remake

When you play it, you see how much changes there really is. It's like they finally put in some effort this time around. The new scenarios are fantastic. The dungeons even have some mini puzzles in them as well.

I just hate how much of a damage sponge enemies are.

Not for the character you were playing as.

The second Bethseda took over again and made another Fallout, they forced voice acting onto your player character and the dialogue options you could pick from suffered greatly as a result.

Is that show good senpaitachi? I've been meaning to watch it but I haven't been watching anything lately.

>Very few people care about 'good' games, or 'intelligent' games.
Pretty sure that applies to basically every video game market except eastern Europe now.

>MOE weeb shit is a new market
No it isn't.
>...that has more demand.
This, however, is true. This might be going off on a tangent, but I remember reading an interview with I think it was Hayao Miyazaki saying that one of the reasons Japanese storytelling and character writing in anime has declined in quality due to creators taking the majority of their inspiration from older anime instead of borrowing from real life unlike their predecessors. It's highly likely that this is also happening in the Japanese video game industry and is having a similar effect on JRPGs. I don't mind cute and sexy cheesecake in games unless there's just too big of a focus on it without fun game mechanics that support the decision for it.

We still have Dragon Quest at least.

Hell yes it is fucking good.
youtube.com/watch?v=GJMD3eO7tpE

kyoani's moe happened

I really fucking miss the ps2 era of japanese games with some sort of message.

Member MSG2, Member Noctune......

If moe is so in at the moment, then surely one of you can show me some good moe h-manga/doujin, right?

It's alright, but the show is still just an advertisement for the Light Novels as it ends really abruptly without a real ending.

>Member MSG2

if it had a message

>exhentai
>doujin
>rating

good job.

It had many, one of which was about nuclear warfare, and nature vs nurture.

Anything by Methonium if you like some really cute, chubby women. Also, very nice vanilla stories.

>one of which was about nuclear warfare

that was peace walker, not MGS2

Idol Waifu subculture bullshit.

My condolences. Megadimension Neptunia put the series in a bold new direction and so will the next game: Cyberdimension Neptune which runs on Unreal 4.

They're probably Personafags.

Nigga you posted a JRPG that is literally epic action, swords and magic fantasy.

>vanilla
What's the point of having a fat cow if you don't brutally rape her?

Because it soothes the heart and mind after fapping to more fucked up shit for awhile.

Why Ameriniggers are so obsessed with calling weaboo-shit literally everything that comes from east?

I mean, in Europe we still mock obsessed otakus, but it's not even close to the "OMG YOU WEEB LMAO!!!" shit you pull whenever someone is doing/watching/playing/eating something that, omg, comes from Japan.

They are triggered because their younger generation basically being conquered once again by Japan.

Don't worry guys. FFXV will save JRPGs.

What the fuck you supposed to do in this game? Just smear the screen!?

JRPGs were shit from the start. And the picture on the left does not even remotely represent the typical art style of the time.

It's a dungeon crawler where you go into a minigame to "save" the mindcontrolled bosses after you defeat them to make them join you.

>Zizz studio

Soo butthurt.
Weaboo trash go cry to /lgbt

>duhhh u triggered u mad bro lmao
What does this shit even mean.

I have also been wondering this myself

Made from edgy teenager to horny teenager. Probably an improvement.

Because they deserve it. People who like anime and Japanese stuff are essentially subhumans.

>so now they just focus on what jap consumers want.
Dragon Quest and Souls?

I find it fucking hilarious that white people are more concerned with people appropriating Japanese culture than actual Japs are, when usually, it's the race getting stuff of theirs used getting upset. Most people don't care about white people acting like niggers except for blacks (and vice versa with black guys that don't go around fighting people over nothing) and Native Americans are the only ones getting pissy over white people wearing headdresses, but as soon as a white guy implies he likes something asian, you see the brigade of angry white people calling them weeaboos, which is really just the new wigger. You're pretty much just a horseshoe variation of tumblrinas now. I have to wonder, though. Is this form of thought policing actually done by Cred Forums types that thinks whites should only care about white things, or is it just stupid normalfags trying their hardest to make everyone think like them and like the same stuff as them?

Americans hate foreign things, for the most part, unless it's a popular fad like Gangnam style. Why do you think Trump is getting votes?

Image on the left is that's drawn by a guy who's into traps looks fugly. The image on the right is an improvement.

Anime is such a useless fucking buzzword in this context anyway. All of these shows are animated in Korea now, so what does it matter? I guess Justice League, Big Guy and Rusty the Boy Robot, and Men In Black: The Animated Series are "weeb shows" because DR Movie animated them as they also animated Kaiji, Hunter x Hunter, Cardcaptor Sakura, and what the fuck ever else Madhouse does. Would you faggots honestly compare Jonny Quest with Spongebob just because they're both American cartoons? Are you going to compare Wakfu and Asterix just because they are both French comedic fantasies? No? Then why the fuck are you comparing any given Japanese thing to to "anime" as a catchall term? Anime is quite varied anyway. I mean, shit, are you people going to claim that Shitcom and Naruto are the same thing just because Japanese guys came up with the idea?

Cut dicks make you hate fun. Look at the middle east, the Islamic parts of Africa, or the Islamic parts of Southeast Asia. Meanwhile, most of Latin America at the very least isn't triggered over Japan, and many even like the stuff they make.

Ignorant american normalfags being intolerant/incapable to understand whatever is different from their culture + nerds deseperately trying to feel superior to other nerds.

I don't get the nerd war thing either. These people do realize that if their parents saw them playing Magic the Gathering in a card shop while other guys were playing my little pony, they wouldn't know/care about the difference and wonder why they're is playing with cardboard in a shop with kids on a Friday night, right?

Jesus, that top art style gives me cancer.

Does anyone still follow this?

this game is shit yet Cred Forums loves it

You spend too much time in a bubble.

this chart seems kind of shit
like, it's old, but it seems like the kind of chart that wasn't ever good

What's shit about it? Too many overly specific projections?

I do like how it differentiates between anime fans that do or do not care about subtitles.

It's because he's a furry.

>top
>literally tips fedora

>bottom
>knows how to have fun

JRPGs were never good you faggot. At their best they were a step up from a visual novels.

The thread is over, I am your only reply

>Anime then
>someone honestly thinks 2001 is old

>Best JRPG of the year was Odin Sphere remake though
That's kind of playing fast and loose with the definition of JRPG. But I guess it is technically a 2D Action/Platformer RPG.

But a remake is also the best turn based JRPG of the year.

But 2001 was 150 years ago...

2001 was 15 years ago

IT HAS NO FAIRIES
NO. FAIRIES. THE TITLE IS A FARCE.

Abe Lincoln don't gotta take this shit yo.

Red clothed girl is a bitch so i believe she isn't a fairy.

1999 isn't old I am.

Because some decrepit executive still believes that they can pull off another Pokemon and ride off the backs of American kids all the way to the bank.

If they want to do that they'll have to strike a deal with Univision, assuming it has a cartoon block.

Graphics developed to the point where you couldn't just hire some random artist to do whatever they wanted and act like it represents what's actually in the game.

But Persona is trash and its even ruined SMT now.

I bet I'm older

OLD MEN
WARNING
WARNING

Oh god, I hope so. 31

Define JRPG.
If your definition is "RPG made in Japan" then its because the Mangacka fears the Otaku.

This show is perfect

Drill ojou is best

Anybody recommend the SAO games? Only watch the first one and didn't like it but I'm thinking of getting the new game.

I lucked out and found these hard cover artbooks at bookoff one time.

This thread was about JRPGs then to JRPGs now. How the fuck did this become an Anime then and now thread.

What do you mean?

Because, JRPG is anime.

Cause two nukes wasnt enough

>why does anime always get associated with JRPGs!
Gee, I donno.

Insecurity.

>Toriyama draws incredibly good and fun mechanics
>Can't made a mecha anime
such wasted potential.

He draws plenty of technology for all his works. I prefer his take on mecha rather than giant robots.