Other urls found in this thread:

somethingbyproxy.itch.io/shade
vocaroo.com/i/s0yo4NoRcuSW
vocaroo.com/i/s069IcS9eQfW
youtube.com/watch?v=uyOA7F9fTx8
youtube.com/watch?v=sC0cvwnG0Ik
webmshare.com/play/LXyON
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

In the tower defense game I'm working on, I fixed a bug with grabbing more than one tower and putting them in places they shouldn't go.
In an adventure game I'm helping someone with, we figured out a potential way to do multiple-choice dialogue but I haven't gotten around to implementing that one yet.

How is construct 2?

good if you want a very simple game and literally can't learn to program

Sounds like that CTF IDE.

If you aren't learning to program then what's the point?

>If you aren't learning to program then what's the point?
Developing a game?

If you didn't notice game dev has, with visual scripting and this sorts of stuff, shifted more and more towards designers than programmers.

Sucks for me being more of a programmer guy..

Prototyping maybe, for non programmers of course?
Or for people who want to make games with little depth, the type of games you'd see on mobile.

I still haven't played enough games that already exist and I'm afraid to start working of my game, because I don't have enough experience as a gamer.

This can be of advantage.
I think I've read about a few bigger designers who did not play much themselves (when they started?).
That makes them innovative and not just shit out a clone of game XY.

This is encouraging, maybe I will at least start working on it. Thanks.

drawing next boss.

sick

You either make a Zelda ref or you hate Zelda. Fuck you it's on your mind now.

actually never played zelda, except like 1/2 of a link to the past.

That looks neat as hell.

>tfw even though I've been opening the file everyday for a month or longer I have progressed way, WAY less than what I would normally achieve in a regular 48h jam
Jesus fuck. I need to pressure myself. I should start considering making deadlines. How do you even plan those?

I cleaned up a bunch of code, and organized shit a few days ago. Since then, I haven't worked on it.

I actually have the basics of the game down, I just need to start actually making the damn thing.

how is unity 2d compared to gm.

new to this shit and wanna try to ream my asshole wide open with shit i don't know.

requires more work, takes more time, can do more stuff

been at work all day, so no
opened my laptop up, saw the create event for the player opened, can't even remember what I was doing before I left for work

also I still don't think we need a fucking daily thread, even though I do enjoy posting progress

Was working on it pretty late last night, making progress.

Saw a bug where none of the textures loaded for some reason. Not sure why.

derp, forgot link
somethingbyproxy.itch.io/shade

>tfw dual monitor
What do you watch/stream/listen while working?

Also, is it counter-productive to voice chat with friends? They regularly just play, like, Overwatch whenever they're online so it sucks because I'm working.

>derp
You're not from these parts, are you homeboy?

Some popular streams like Lirik / DansGaming

>tfw dual monitor
tfw triple monitor setup.

>What do you watch/stream/listen while working?
Twitch streams

>Also, is it counter-productive to voice chat with friends?
Can't tell, don't have friends for that.
But i could imagine.
When I'm focusing on a programming issue and a family member comes and bothers me with some random bullshit it kinda throws me out of the zone.

Maybe he's an oldfag, famalam.

Have.. have you tried it?
I tried once, but couldn't focus at all...

DELETE THIS!!

I had an idea for a game, but like all my ideas I don't think I'll care enough to make it. Exploring ideas mentally and letting them drift away is enjoyable enough to me

>tfw okay at everything except visual art
>hilariously incompetent at that

I feel with you.
It's really hard as games are for a big part a visual medium.
Though i kinda get by, it just takes a long time to get something that kinda works.

>not good at music but need it for game
>make music
>realise the happiest track actually has an underlining sad note
>tfw my own depression is slipping into my game

let us hear the track!

tried coding in nothing but panties
didn't change shit for better or worse, just made me want to go fap

would post game progress, but I sure as fuck don't want it attached to this post :^)

is gamemaker a good engine to make my own RPG?

Depends what kind of RPG

I am not good with music user, so this track will get replaced when I finally give it another go

vocaroo.com/i/s0yo4NoRcuSW
It's also a bit loud. I haven't normalised the volume on any yet

last night I didn't do much since I have family visiting for a few days

I figured out how to turn rotation speed on though so meshes don't get stuck twitching instantly back and forth 180 degrees constantly

Sounds pretty melancholic. And this is the happiest track?
Well if it fits the game. Not all games need to be super happy and stuff.
Actually a game that let's me drown in grief sounds interesting.
Triggering strong emotions makes games memorable.

>dat one big ass spider that's moving through sheer rage alone

I didn't refactor all that code I've been meaning to refactor for weeks.

Yeah I noticed that after the video. Unfortunately each individual enemy is a blueprint and blueprints break all the fucking time when you're compiling C++.

are u a grill?
pls be in london

Not much, since it's weekend, and a holiday coming on monday. Not sure If i'll do stuff then.

Not sure if i even wanna post this.
It was a VERY quick and rough render test for environment, just to see if it works like i would imagine it.
Not much scenery decoration and anything.
It's very ugly and will definitely not stay this way!

Also sucks that Unity's smart sprites won't be in a preview build this year anymore.
Makes me have to re-think how I'm going to approach things until then.

And now add an image to the post... *facepalm*

I have a working basic camera, troops can now be selected. Once selected, a point can be clicked and they'll move there (as the crow flies). The most basic enemy in the game can detect and undetect enemies. Once detected, they will follow them till the ends of the earth at the moment. Lots still to do, but I'm happy with my incredibly basic system, even if it would have taken others about half an hour. I'm just starting out, so literally any progress is good progress right now.

Just started experimenting with Input from the Vive in Unity.
Super easy to do. I'm gonna wrap the whole thing so it becomes brain dead easy.
Once that's done, I work on making movement systems.

I plan on selling it as an asset, but I'm wondering if maybe I should release the input part separate for free or a cost, and also bundle it with the movement as a different cost...

>vocaroo.com/i/s0yo4NoRcuSW
Show us the sad ones

This reminds me of a pokemon song earlier on until later when more instruments are added

so, whoever said to make a gravity slingshot last thread, thanks

made it pull you really hard once you got too close so it's actually useful for slinging yourself around
need to make it look not retarded, but that's something I need to do for most of the graphics in this game

also, fucking had to encode this twice because webm for retards decided to make a file just slightly larger than what Cred Forums says is 3MB

What programs do you use for making webms?
Also, please don't skin your game with anime characters. Please, please.

The game in general isn't a sad affair. I was just aiming for a more happy feel because it's meant for the village hub.
As long as it triggers emotions and isn't just fart noises, I'll know that I'm improving. Thanks for the feedback

vocaroo.com/i/s069IcS9eQfW
Pretty much the only actual sad one. I think one major problem is I overuse instruments in some tracks, which I am working to fix.

fraps to record because laziness and dead-on 60fps sync (like, it's right there m8, look at the watermark)
webm for retards to encode (might be called webm for bakas now because lol github, it's just an ffmpeg frontend and I could probably have just used ffmpeg with a batch file to convert webms)

>Also, please don't skin your game with anime characters. Please, please.
why the fuck would I do that
it's gonna have a sort of techno geometric look because I can't fucking sprite and I'm not bringing anyone else on

>As long as it triggers emotions and isn't just fart noises
Duuude...
You don't seem to know one of the best legit video game soundtracks ever.
youtube.com/watch?v=uyOA7F9fTx8

Where do I go if I'm mainly an artist and looking to possibly take part in some hobby developing?

Dunno. Your game gives me a Touhou vibe for some reason.

>Also, please don't skin your game with anime characters. Please, please.
You don't belong in Cred Forums.

I like anime, but fuck you, westaboo shit is the fucking worst.

Vidyagame
I was working on UI stuff a lot the last few days, now I've got a few more important features implemented. I'm going to work on NPCs and quest scripting, then start start working on the server because this is an online game

bump

westaboo means people like kojima, I don't think that's what you're looking for

most western anime styled things suck though (entirely because they're too lazy to actually try and get it right)

think earthbound.

Unity has been open all day but I haven't done a single thing with it. Instead I played some Street Fighter V and Hearthstone.

Well, Undertale was made in GameMaker.

Drop the bass an octave, change one of the leads to pulse or something to differentiate it, reduce the delay/echo.
Pretty neat looking game.

Literally just
youtube.com/watch?v=sC0cvwnG0Ik

HeartBeast has a tutourial series on how to make an RPG in GameMaker.

thanks! i'll check him out.

Thanks user, I'll see what I can do

kek

I was making a 2deep4u RPG for awhile. I thought it sounded cool, but then I got a job and went to college. Since then, it's been gathering dust

streaming things on an alternate monitor while working is great but how the fuck would you ever concentrate while voice chatting with friends?

>webmshare.com/play/LXyON

I'm nearly working on it, because in order to get some progress i have to do one of the most teddius parts of the develoment, so i get bored and play games isntead. Video is from July 10, so its kind of outdated and music is unrelated, and

Dem stars pop in too abruptly, but I liked how it kind of synced up with the music (whether that was intentional or not).
What's the game about?

>and
And?
And what, user?
AND WHAT?!

This looks like that game nubby squirrel or whatever it was called

>Since then, it's been gathering dust

Is the game about gathering dust?

spent like 15 minutes in GIMP chopping up a vague idea of what I'd like backgrounds to look like into sections

and I dimmed it in game -- when I loaded it up originally, it was way, way, way too bright
even so, it's still super distracting
partially because my foreground is so flat and dull, partially because it's just kind of garish

looks amazing

what are you making this in?

>can't find the Sonic Dash engine
Goodbye dreams

>looks amazing
Thanks!

>what are you making this in?
Game Maker.

If you mean the Game Maker Sonic engine or whatever, I may have it in my files. I downloaded it years ago, and should still have a copy somewhere.

>Unfortunately each individual enemy is a blueprint
That sounds pretty inefficient, no way to instance them?

>Dem stars pop in too abruptly, but I liked how it kind of synced up with the music (whether that was intentional or not).

Video is outdated, i found a fix for that, but i need to fix the colors and lighthing first, so that the transition and change of the colors, light, and stars fadding in and out is more smooth. The system in which things happens is ready, but i have to pick colors better, because it looks awful.

>What's the game about?
I didn't deciced much about the lore, because what i want about the game and what i can actually make its quite far away. For example, i want the game to be third person, with a female character, but scince im crap modeling characters, it may be better to leave it first person.
You are in coma or someshit, and the game has two main parts: One on the outside, where you explore and look for something(or someone?) while you are being chased. The game has Day-night cycle, and during the day, its easyier not to get cautghed but harder to win, while on night its easer to win but also its easy to loose.
The other part its inside bulidings, houses, caves, whatever. This is more of a puzzle part. Since the game is based on a "dream" scenario, i want to make the world follow some of the same rules. For example, in real life, when you sleep the dream is being made as you dream it. If you are in a dream and open a door, what's behind the door its created jut as you open it. Same if you turn the light on on a dark room. I made a mechanic that spawns/respawn/deletes an object if the room its dark and a light its turned on. Objects may also have different locations everytime you play the game. And i want to add features on the outside world deppending where you live in real life and the time you are playing the game, so the season you are playing its same as the current. And it may have an effect on gameplay.

Sorry for the long post and misspelling things and shit. May explain more if you are itnerested.

this is what it looks like without dimming
and I think it looks cool as fuck

but it makes it impossible to see anything, it's kind of retina searing