Play France, spawn next to Greece and Japan, try to peacefully build culture

>Play France, spawn next to Greece and Japan, try to peacefully build culture
>Japan keeps acting hostile and angers Greece, Rome, and the Aztecs
>Everyone declares war on Japan, I'm bribed into helping
>Rome declares war on me for literally no reason even though we're allies and on opposite sides of the continent, triggering a three way war, then offers peace if I give him a third of my cities and all of my luxury resources
>Greece keeps edging into my territory
>Russia denounces me one turn after we meet
>The most reasonable, sanest faction on the planet is the Aztecs
This game is driving me insane.

Welcome to the world of civilization.

And fuck france, backstabbing cunt, no matter how good relations you have, if you get close to them they WILL attack

If you're playing on a higher difficulty than king, kill Greece asap. That fucker's the worst AI as the game goes on, he gets ridiculously overpowered in every aspect and you won't be able to catch up. The rest are pushovers.

>france
>backstabbing cunt
>not greece or rome
Nah man France is actually bro-tier in my games

OP here. I can't because my army was destroyed by Rome. Greece really benefited from the three way war because it was the only group besides the Aztecs to have only one enemy.

The AI in Civ has always been retarded.

>Playing as the US
>have a fuck-huge army
>Rome declares war on me the moment we meet
>push Romes shit in so deep in 3 turns he surrenders
>20 minutes later he declares war and loses to me again
>keeps doing this until I purge the world of Rome

i havent been able to go back to civ since I found grand strategy games.

help me

tfw cant figure out how to play grand strategy games

Can confirm, Alexander is a cocksucker and Greece will ally every city state on the planet with an iron grip on them.

play eu4 first its easy compared

this, EU4 is fucking simple
If you don't get something, there is a tooltip to help
just click through all the tabs in a normal game and you should have everything figured out

there's youtube tutorials out there. Just watch enough so you understand the basic mechanics and the UI and you can work the rest out yourself

> tfw try to play civ and total war but always do terribly and can't stay interested
The genre looks fun but I always get stomped because I have no idea what I'm doing.

how are people playing this already?

Did the same, played Civ5 a lot before trying eu4 but stopped it too since 1 game takes 20 hours to finish and i just never end my games

He's hyper-aggressive, especially if you're a next door neighbor. Alexander is a fucking Snake though, same with Ashurbanipal.

I always get bored of Civ after exploring the world, are there any games like it that are more focused on exploration and explosive growth? The lamest part of Civ is the happiness system. Let me build fuckhuge cities and real empires that rival real life

In my games France usually gets his ass kicked then asks me for help, i usually takes his capital then leave him rot with 3 cities for the rest of game

Play/watch the in-game tutorials if we're talking Paradox, they generally give you a good idea of the basics.
All the weird little specific stuff you can read about on the wikis.

Best game I ever had was as Greece. By sheer luck, I spawned on a huge continent with 10 other city states and no Civs, so I basically built a fuckhuge army, then when I finally met the other Civs, I just systematically invaded them one by one, and was able to crank out an entire army in 4 turns. Curbstomped everyone to the point where I almost felt bad.

I believe the best way to learn how to play eu4 is to take the Ottoman Empire, play until 1650 then restart a new game when you realise all the things you did wrong

That only really happens to me with Hiawatha and Harald

honestly I find games like that way to boring

I personally find frantically defending your lands against say the zulu hordes to be pretty damn fun

And defending is actually pretty easy in Civ5, when someone attacks you early and loses they usually give you free cities you didnt even expect getting

Shaka a shit though, if he doesn't overperform in the early game, he basically just becomes irrelevant.

No matter what you do in total war ai fuck you for no reason all the time

Feels good, doesn't it? Allying with every city state from early on and keeping them for 200 turns, while they provide you with food, happiness, culture and a free army ready for war at all times, making you a superpower while you are just building wonders and become a God. Fun stuff.

Fixed in Civ VI.

>No warmonger penalties in Ancient Era,
>Resident Embassy: Establish a permanent Embassy with this power. If accepted, the recipient will be a bit friendlier and you will gain a level of Access.

>Diplomatic Service: Allow Resident Embassies and grants the ability to construct a spy. The first four Casus Belli may now be used to justify wars. These Casus Belli are Holy War, Liberation War, War of Reconquest and Protectorate War.

>Reconquest War: Used to declare war on a power that has captured one of your cities. No warmonger penalty apply.

>Holy War: Used to declare war on a power that has religiously converted one of your cities. All warmonger penalties halved.

>War of Liberation: Used to declare war on a power that has captured a city from one of your friends or allies. No warmonger penalties for liberating any of this cities.

>Protectorate War: Used to declare war on a power that has attacked one of your allied City-States. No warmonger penalty for liberating that City-State.

>casus belli system

that sounds like it takes inspiration from the paradox games
anything other similar to that?

>have much bigger and more advanced army than enemy civ
>diplomacy screen
"Oh the puny one has arrived"
It's like they want me to kick their shit in.

Anyone else genuinely excited for 6? I'm a casual baby who's first 4X was civ 5 so if they can beat that I'll play hundreds of hours.

It does take inspiration for paradox games.

Everything looks better except for the AI and the art style that I will just never get used to. The actual game mechanics are far superior to CiV as revealed so far.

>be playing multiplayer Civ V as China
>have Shoshone, and France as neighbors
>Shoshone is dead west of me, France is just north of Shoshone
>doing alright around medieval era, number 1 in hammers
>all France has been doing all game is spamming wonders, has 2 cities
>decide to rush him with crossbows
>build roads up to his border, declare war
>his captial is smack dab between two mountain ranges, and all his land is either jungle or hills
>cant shoot his capital without getting right up against the city because of all the fucking hills
>manages to hold off my crossbow rush
>Shoshone declare war as well as I retreat back and regroup
>he gets his ass kicked too
>Me and Shoshone are both equally trying to take over his capital, and have to share about 7 tiles for both our militaries because of the mountain
>after a while Shoshone player leaves, France player makes the AI Shoshone declare on me
>While all this is going on, England takes over the Russia player who had left the game and starts snowballing
>I concede the game to England and leave

Moral of the story is: Good city placement is a bitch

Truf

Canal city=best city

I can only imagine the french player was this guy

He was a massive faggot the whole time as well

After the Shoshone AI declared war on me I even asked him, 'Did you just pay the Shoshone to declare war on me?'

His reply was, 'Yea, and it wasnt hard with that citadel you put down ;p'

The little shit made pretty fucking upset

tell me about it
this little city down the bottom turned the one above it into a god tier location

I'd be a complete dick about it as well if I managed to cockblock 2 players rushing me at the same time

See, I would be completely fine if all he did was cockblock me
But the entire game the only thing he did was spam wonders

The fact that he then managed to cockblock me and the Shoshone is just pouring raw sodium into the wound

4 was at least predictable, and with UI mods you could tell exactly what the chance was that someone may declare war and see everything that influences their rating. V added some randomness and left that info out, they patched some of this over time but I doubt they ever fully removed the randomness.

The AIs always get retarded later on and lose motivation to keep playing.

CIV must be way more fun if you're playing with other people.

Neat, definite week one pirate.

he picked a very defensive starting location and then picked a strategy that suited his defensive position
you can't really fault him for it
the same hills, jungles and mountains that cockblocked you prevented him from properly expanding as well

I even distinctly remember him saying he wanted to play as Venice before the game started, which at the time I thought was really stupid

Don't forget.

>purge the guy being a constant fuckface to you throughout the game
>the entire AI never forgives you and is now hostile

I fucking hate Civ AI. Hypocritical bunch of fuckrats.

he probably never realized that the minute the players hit industrial era he'd be fucked over completely by artillery and planes

you should have just cut your losses, let him wonder spam, kill every single unit he dared send more than 2 tiles away from his city and just teched up to dynamite

Feels godly. Had a game as Morocco where I never acutally had to build an army.