Any good games like Dwarf Fortress? Why aren't there more games like this?

Any good games like Dwarf Fortress? Why aren't there more games like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

theta.freehostia.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Rimworld

Thats pretty much it though right? Its not awful. But it does feel like its lacking. Kinda lame how the only way to expand is through prisoners.

I'm currently doing a game in the same tone as DF, incredibly detailed procedural world, history, each entity has an history etc.

It's going quite well... I expect to release a first alpha build before this year is over.

The "main" mode will be the shopkeeping mode. Basically you own a shop in a city, and you gotta do shopkeeping things. Hire staff, manage wages, manage who does what in the store, make deals with suppliers to order raw materials if that is not what you are producing, etc. For example if you are playing a blacksmithing shop, you'll have to make a deal with some mining company to deliver you ore regularly, and you'll see it come by caravan through the streets of the city, and there will be dozens of other shops around you, of various types, etc. This will be in real time, just like DF fortress mode, but of course you will be able to only one entity in turn by turn, like adv.mode, and do plenty of things.

fucking gay honestly

Sounds interesting. Thats what I like about DF. The world feeling alive with each entity having a history

Yeah, the more I design the city generator, the more it reminds me of the Thief games. So far it's pretty much buildings all packed together very closely, narrow streets, back alleys... Living as a thief in adv. mode will definetely be a thing.

Good luck with it. Sounds like a game I would check out for sure.

Here is a screenshot of an example street, just a few minutes before sunrise. There are no entities on this screen, because I gotta rework on the pathfinding a bit tonight before enabling entities.

Buildings are quite empty furniture-wise, for now, and indoor lightsources are in the works too. They will have an orangy touch, so being indoor at night will be max comfy.

>So far it's pretty much buildings all packed together very closely, narrow streets, back alleys
comfy as fuck

Try Dienworlds.
theta.freehostia.com

Here is another street, by daylight, with a few entities hanging in their homes (the pale pink ones are children, for now entity generation is basically 1 father + 1 mother + 0 to 4 children in every building... so they are a lot of them). Placeholder system pretty much.

do you have a site for it?

Not yet, no. I guess I'll spread word about it once I have a playable alpha.

gl, sounds cool

Definitely RimWorld is probably the best out currently, but it does lack something that DF just seems to have. Not sure what. There is alot of potential there though, because if it is able to recreate what DF offers it would be amazing due to the fact that its UI is soooo much better than DF.

Bump

SS13 kinda gave me a Dwarf Fortress-type vibe.

Dwarf Fortress itself is a work of supreme autism. I say that in the most respectful way, because only the most focused, dedicated sons of bitches and keep going on such a numbers-focused project like this as long as t1 has.

You see games in the same vein of it every now and then, but goddamn few that even want to get down to its level of detail and minutiae.

>tfw cats were dying of alcohol poisoning when Taverns were introduced because they would walk across floors covered in spilt alcohol, then proceed to lick it off of their paws

You know. You might be onto something.

>detail and minutiae

I think thats the issue with RimWorld. The game is fun, but the world feels empty or something. Idk.

It does feel empty, I don't know why each time I played it for an hour or two, I just wish I could play Dwarf Fortress instead.

That's ultimately what dooms any sim-whatever type game. You can only play it for so long before optimal conditions are reached with the small number of variables you're working around, and all they can do to mix it up is throw in a pre-programmed disaster or give you quest-like milestones to reach or something.

Dwarf Fortress just has so much shit going on in it, that the more things you try to do, the more things start going pear shaped. It rewards the ambitious with insanity.

Issue with RimWorld is the god awful combat.

If you dont cheese with death hallways and such, everything is such a mess of your guys hitting your own guys and enemies going rambo on you with super shields and masterswords and you get fucked either way.

I wish DF would support Multi-threading.

Idk the combat didn't really bother me. You can get fucked over like that in DF as well. Its just the world feels empty. As was said earlier, the entities just kinda feel there.... Its like there is no history behind the world or anything. When you get raids the raiders just spawn in, they arent like actual members of some other community or anything.

A Z-level

DF became immensely better when toady added a z-level