Cinematic games used to be decent

>Cinematic games used to be decent.
What happened?

I love this game - its unique aesthetic, great artstyle and atmospheric ost really set it apart. However, I dare say it's not a very good videogame. The controls suck, and the gameplay is extremely tedious with the level design in many areas playing more like a game of trial and error (especially so when it comes to throwing objects, since you don't get a chance to get used to the janky controls before having to use it in a fast-paced sequence). All that said, it's good overall and worth checking out.

>cinematic indie shit
it was never good OP

>oddworld.
>indie shit.

Oddworld had complex stealth, puzzle, and sometimes minor strategy elements, it had gameplay.
When we refer to "cinematic games" in the modern context we mean games that substitute everything but the most generic of barebones mechanics with cutscenss, where plot simply cannot be resolved by your actions, and everything you do in the game is just a mindless break between cutscenes.
In oddworld you do a rigorous level, you get a cutscene as a reward.

Oddworld is in fact an independent company

this
oddworld games were made by literal film producers
they have great productive value but the gameplay is aniquated and clunky

Yeah but it also has a publisher.

At some point or another a piece of media experienced on computers came out and advertised itself as a "game" even though it renounced any core aspects of gameplay that constitute a game, and therefore set the precedent that interactive movies (or any interactive form of story telling expressed through user-input) are "games" despite having no objectives other than to end it.

To each their own and all, but if I release a book and call it a movie I'd expect some retaliation from movie fans.

A third party publisher.

I wouldn't call this "cinematic". Or rather, I don't know what that's supposed to mean

Oddworld franchise is very "video games"

The genre was known as "Cinematic platformers". They were highly polished, very visually detailed platformers, usually slower paced and filled with puzzles.

did they fix up the gameplay in exodduss? i havent played Oddysee in years but I just recently replayed Exoddus and I didnt think the controls where clunky. I figured they made the character feel like he had weight and added some sort of challenge. like how in castlevania the whip has a delay

What OP means is that the franchise embraces the core values of "cinematic games" like aesthetics, story, writing, atmosphere, etc. but does not deny the core values of good gameplay, being goal-setting, pacing, skill tests, resource management ...
These days there's a disconnect and it's (arguably) difficult to find a really "gamey" game that also consists of really good writing and presentation on all artistic merits.

What he means by "clunky" is that the character isn't super responsive like in a standard platformer. Instead Cinematic platformers aim for realism in terms of what characters do. It's a totally different kind of game. It's not super mario or contra.

$onĀ„ and the PS3 happened.

>At some point or another a piece of media experienced on computers came out and advertised itself as a "game" even though it renounced any core aspects of gameplay that constitute a game, and therefore set the precedent that interactive movies (or any interactive form of story telling expressed through user-input) are "games" despite having no objectives other than to end it.

This game definetly kickstarted the trend of having more cutscenes then gameplay.
Its not even a very good stealth game.
Tenchu and Thief did everything this game did but better and less anime bs.

Fuck off. The gameplay in Oddworld is fantastic. It's literally my favorite 2D platformer.

It is trial and error in parts but it's not a bad thing, and once you get the mechancis down and figure out how the game works you can ussually complete most sections in 1 or 2 tries anyways.

>you don't get a chance to practice

No, fuck you. You do. I remember it specifically because I replayed both Oddysee and Exoddus a few years back and everything is introduced in a natural way that lets you learn things before you have to learn them in a tight situation. I will admit Oddysee has a few bullshit moments early on but it's mostly a lack of quicksave. Exoddus perfected the gameplay.

You always see a rock sack before the screen where you have to use them for the first time. And there is ample areas to practice your throws and learn the mechanics of everything.

>if it's weighted it's clunky

Kill yourself. Exoddus is literally a perfect game.

The level design in both games is fucking god tier and rewards exploration and the controls are tight as fuck and let you do exactly what you want once you learn them. Git gud.

I've never seen such a shitter faggot before that didn't like classic Oddworld.

>it's antiquated because I actually have to think and learn jump and throw distances and time my jumps
>why can't I just press a button and something awesome happens like the level beating itself!

nope, you have it backwards. what actually happened was that in the 90s, the game industry really wanted the movie audience and games advertised themselves as "not a game" implying they were movie-like experiences. they effectively tricked the movie audience into buying games they otherwise would not have.

thank you for saving me the time to type all of this out

How is New N Tasty anyways?

It's ok but there's no real reason to play it since the original has better presentation and better controls