Be honest, would your opinion of the Souls series have been any different if the games had an easy mode(more flasks...

Be honest, would your opinion of the Souls series have been any different if the games had an easy mode(more flasks, quick-saving, etc. ) for casual players?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WbR7MYGPR6c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Not really, the core mechanics and lore are fun enough.

It already has an easy mode called Summons.

NPC summons alone can beat levels and bosses for you.

Dark Souls would lose all popularity.

It honestly shouldn't matter logically, but everyone would bitch that the game is for casuals now (even though no one is forcing them to play easy mode). Mostly because if everyone can finish the game easily, you lose all gamer cred for saying "I beat Dark Souls". Sure, people say the SoulsBorne games ain't even that hard but that's part of gamer cred too. "Pfft? You found that hard? Yeah, I mean I guess if you weren't as good as games as me it might be difficult."

It doesn't affect me at all though, since I beat Dark Souls with a fucking mouse and keyboard and therefore have the biggest e-peen in this thread anyway.

youtube.com/watch?v=WbR7MYGPR6c

Played every game in the souls series, and contrary to the memers I don't believe these games are hard.
On the surface they APPEAR hard, but once you know the mechanics, understand the stats/itemization, and do a few trial and error runs of the bullshit artificially difficult parts; You realize the game just requires a bit of patience. Its not hard, its just not instantly gratifying like many other games.

I never played the series because I wanted to pretend I'm hardcore(nobody who plays these games is, they just like pretending) I play the games because overall they are good products, with good atmosphere/setting, itemization, and overall gameplay. Which to me makes them seem FUN.
I play them for fun, vidya games...fun.

so to answer your question, flasks wouldn't bother me, but Quick saving would. Quick saving would fundamentally change the gameplay experience and therefore be too noticeable to tolerate.

I just started the series with Demon's Souls and it's really not that difficult. I thought it was at first but then I realized it's just following patterns. I'm usually terrible at games but I'm having a lot of fun with it.

My only complaint is that it would be nice if there were an archstone before a boss. Having to walk back to a boss isn't difficult, just extremely tedious.

DS3 is literally that mode already

I wish Souls games only had quick time events desu.

most of the levels will have a shortcut to the boss so there is no need for an archstone.

This looks really cool.
Not saying I'd want it in the game, but it looks cool.

No. The games would lose meme PREPARE TO DIE value to the shitty audience that joined at DS1. The games already kind of have a easy mode, it's called magic, it's called level grinding, it's called upgrading equipment, it's called summoning. The games are only really hard if you limit yourself a ton, otherwise they tend to have medium to easy difficulty.

The shortcuts aren't always the most convenient. I'm at Flamelurker right now and I have to jump down a fucking hole to get there.

There should be a super expensive item that lets yoy respawn where you used it or some shit like that, beats having to walk all the way back to wherever you where everytime

the game still would have been popular due to it's heavy influence on lore... everything to do with everything is all driven by lore alone theres no explanation for anything apart from deciphering characters quotes and reading shit

Question.

What the fuck is the point of that item you always get, that lets you respawn at your last checkpoint but you lose all your cash? Why would you ever use that?

Its a lore item as far as i know. The cursed dark sign

So you can get away if you end up stuck in geometry.

You make it sound like the only real way to play is SL1 runs

summons aside, the game has easy modes built-in. there are ways to play the game that make it way easier than the "default" way to play it (knight-based with a sword and a shield). people who cry for a dark souls easy mode are telling me one of three things.

One is "I cant press the buttons fast enough". Fair enough, but I literally never see that being said, probably because these people play at least one shooter game, on consoles no less, so they cant get away with that.

Two is "I shouldn't have to learn things to have fun with this game". After all the years of screaming "entitled gamers!", "games are art", "a game can be whatever it wants", "games dont have to be fun", etc. you'd need to have some huge fucking balls to try that.

Three is "I should be able to play a game and never have to fail". This is it. This is bingo. This is why people want a dark souls easy mode. translation: "everyone thinks its so good but I suck at video games and its taking too long for me to progress so its the games fault". Im sorry you think there is fundamentally wrong with something millions of people love but thats your problem. When dismissed they always say this "what does it hurt if there was an easy mode??? it would only mean more people would like the game!". it would mean two things if they added an easy mode. one is that the devs would have to test easy/harder difficulties. how do you make dark souls easier? do you just add more estus? make player weapons super strong? regenerating health? quick-saving? everything i can think of would either be an almost irrelevant change or would simply break the game. but maybe thats what you want. maybe you want a tour mode. ok, then all the creative team have to do is decide that their games creative vision isnt important. which is fine, because to you it already isnt. its about the lord of the rings or something. you want to be hip and "praise the sun with soulair" and feel left out by the actual game. well fuck you.

I wouldn't care. I don't play Soulsborne games for difficult or le epic challenge, if I wanted that I would play some old ass RPG or a competitive shooter/fighting game.

I like Dark Souls because it has cool armor and weapon design and a great open ended RPG system which satisfies my role playing autism in a way that few other games can.

There is a difference between being gud and being retarded user.

but SoulsBorne games ARE easy?

Sort of.

It would make me question why they wasted all that budget on useless shit like that instead of fixing the second half of the game.

But in a magical world were those things don't cost money and time I wouldn't be against it at all.

I only judge games on whatever is considered the normal difficulty and beyond.

Easy mode does not interest me in the slightest since I think if a game is fun then fights should last longer so there's more game to play
Online play for Souls games should keep players on Easy separate from people on Normal if it did exist though.

I only like easy mode if the difference is what it does to grinding. If it makes it easier by upping gold and EXP gain so I don't have to grind as much, why not take it? There's no real value in killing the same mob 25 times just to get strong enough to progress. If I can move on in half that time, then I'll have more fun with the game instead of getting bored.

In bloodborne, go to the first chalice when you're level 100.

that's souls on easy mode.

I think it would quickly become boring.

Never played BB, comparatively speaking, how much harder is it than the Souls games?

That makes sense.

I probably wouldn't do it unless I really just want the game done with though.

The chalices are probably the hardest thing the souls games have to offer. Whether that's for the right reasons or not is another thing.

I'd say generally the game is harder. Comparing Father Gascoigne to Taurus Demon as "first boss" for example, then there's Logarius and even BSB and Amelia seem to ruin people more than Capra for example.

Not much but people tend to say the bosses are harder in bb

hm, overall I would say

DS1>BB>DS2>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>DS3 (not sure where demon's souls would be placed as I haven't been able to play it)

I'd say in BB the bosses are harder but the enemies are easier, while for DS it's the opposite.

Nah.

It would have made it more clear to every memer that it has, and will always will be, a shit game.

>Average AAA title

This. There is literally nothing easier than summons, the AI isn't built for it.
Or you could just afk farm and over level to the point that the game is a cake walk.
Or - and this is getting pretty drastic - you can beat the game once and find every subsequent playthrough easy as fuck because you already know what to expect and where the traps are.

My opinion would change. An easy mode is a stupid and senseless addition that really does nothing but waste dev time to detriment player satisfaction. Scratch that, the Souls has that in spades. My opinion remains the same.
General contentment spiked with disappointment at all the failed potential.

There is nothing more frustrating than sequels that refuse to avoid past failures and ignores past success.

AFK farm? How the hell do you do that? I'm doing an arcane run on Bloodborne, I wouldn't mind an easier way to farm. Especially since I used ten levels just to get the STR and SKL I need to get weapons later.

Finished all of them except DS3, why does everyone say how easy it is? I'm after beating curse-rotted greatwood, and each boss has taken me around 5-6 tries, on par with the earlier games

Everyone is already playing on Easy mode... the player messages. They will warn you of every trap and tell you about every secret.

The true gamers play offline.

Patience and low self-respect

Generally because rolling and sipping is free. This isn't even considering min maxing quality straight sword R1 spam.
I'd say it's the easiest for your typical sword and board knight (best weapon, good shield, best armor) but the most brutal for a mage relying on shit soul arrow range (free aim or get fucked), massive stamina and magic consumption AND getting railroaded by a linear ass map where they can't rush the good shit first.