Why is Guile such an underrated character in SFV? He's easily one of the best characters in the game

Why is Guile such an underrated character in SFV? He's easily one of the best characters in the game.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TZWYmqlBulA
youtube.com/watch?v=U5Z7Lh31xSg
twitter.com/PR_Balrog/status/782386220332490752
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

He has nothing strong enough to put him in the likes of the top tier, his combos looked scary on day 1 but they're mostly flash. His neutral is nerfed from previous games, if he had SF4 normals then he'd be top tier for sure.

>if he had SF4
There's basically not a single character who didn't play way more effective and satisfying in SFIV.

Kind of sad.

>Guile gameplay
>insta-crouch
>wait
>if enemy jumps, flash kick
>if enemy walks, sonic boom
>don't sonic boom from unsafe distance
>keep crouching
>sudden dash forward throws or jump combos against the enemy
>win

I would say Ryu and Sim are both more effective and satisfying, Chun is more effective but less satisfying, but yeah for the most part you're right.

It's really sad how dumbed down all these characters are compared to SFIV. I've grown bored of SFV with how little tech there is to learn.

guile is not even top 10 jesus christ

I don't like living in a world where SFIV is considered "the better game". It's by far the slowest and most turtle-friendly of the series.

juri

>Juri in SFV
I, too, love to play with a hand tied behind my back

Juri was the hidden high tier in 4 and had many more options in 4, only good things about her in 5 are her ass and tits. Plus in 4 the game didn't spoonfeed you which kick she charges.

>oh fuck yeah lemme just
>mm baby lemme just
>use a special move to charge my completely average low projectile
>unf how do you like that

yea hidden high tier just like el fuerte and hugo

>Ryu
>Sim
>Ken
>Chun-Li
>Vega

Nobody said those were hidden high tiers but nice straw man user. Juri was definitely strong, did you not ever see Ai Ai?

Of course Ryu and Sim are more fun to play, Ryu is the most brain-dead fucker in SFV and Dhalsim got totally revamped

But I will FUCKING FIGHT YOU over what they did to Vega

oh yeah ai ai was sick on juri, you ever see corn alucard play hugo and pepeday play el fuerte? hidden high tiers are crazy dude

Man you can have your Vega I think he's boring in both games. Just vsing him is more fun now because he's a more dynamic and active character.

Except those two didn't make it into top 8 of last year's EVO, and Daigo didn't say he was scared of them.

As a vega main im extremely desapointed with what they did to him. He feels like shit to play.

oh forgot that past tournaments don't matter, even though the tournament you're using as a basis of reference was also in the past
shit juri really was high tier and not just a one time pocket pick that people would have learned to counter like rose and el fuerte in the next tournament, if the game didn't die

I like new Vega because I like command grabs.
But yeah, ass normals and why was the world's shittiest reversals removed?

He has shitty normals for close combat but god tier ones for mid screen neutral. He is fucked in the corner anyway though.

Anyone can explain meaties to me? Are they a gamble on what the opponent will do on wake up? Am I fucked if they decide to grab or reversal DP me? Do they work when the enemy uses 3 frame moves?

Try that on my rolento

Simply put it, meatys are attacks you use when you think they are going to press a button. It's like in chess you have to calculated a few moves ahead

Yeah but I know it doesn't work if Ken uses his reversal shoryuken. Grabs seemed to always go trough too but I may just suck doing meaties. What I'm asking is when they will actually work.

A meaty attack is an attack that hits as soon as the opponent recovers. Usually the only way to beat this is reading a meaty strike (DP that fucker or block) or a meaty throw (backdash, jump, tech if it's not a command grab)

Also refers to hitting something in the late active frames for added frame advantage (since this is usually what you want to do when you throw a move out during recovery because why the fuck not)

A meaty is when you hit your opponent with a normal as they are getting up from a knockdown.

>Are they a gamble on what the opponent will do on wake up?
Not necessarily a gamble, technically every decision you make on their wakeup is a calculated guess, but meaties are fairly safe as they only lose to DPs. If you hit, you lead into a combo. If they block, you should be safe.

>Am I fucked if they decide to grab or reversal DP me?
If you time it right, they should get hit out of their grab. As said before, you're fucked if they use a DP with invincibility frames

>Do they work when the enemy uses 3 frame moves?
They still work, you just have to be more precise with your timing.

>it's like in chess
More like in rock, paper and scissors, dumbass.

>using charge characters

>i've only gotten my ass kicked against online scrubs but here's my opinion anyway
into the trash it goes

Platinum. And I can tell you main Guile because you got so offended and bothered writing that.

I can tell you're full of shit and still have trouble with the average online Guile because you were butthurt enough to type up that post to begin with.
Also I don't play Guile

Why would I be butthurt? Guile is not OP. His gameplay is just very simple and boring, that was the message of my post.

I gave it a chance, but I just don't find SFV fun. I usually like playing as Guile, but SFV Guile is trash, just like how SFV itself is trash.

>Why would I be butthurt?
Probably because you get hit by the same simple and boring shit you complained about and assumed that's the only way the character can be played.

guile feels like one of the few cast who are "rushdown" i'm not too good on complex combos, getting into the game, these long combo strings seem overwhelming to me, and i know practicing would help, but i'm at the point where if i battle online, all that time in training room, just leaves me.

The only thing I'm bothered at the moment is your idiocy. Never said any of the things you are writing about. Yes, he is simple and boring, which for me means I won't play him. I have no issue with others playing him as I know how to counter him. Second, I never assumed that's the only way he can be played, ever. Guile should play defensively and keep the range if you want to make most out of him, though. He has never been an aggressive character.

SFIV was the embarrassing shithole of the series, at least SFV tries to be a proper sf game, not saying it succeeded

Sim

This game is fucking horrible and I played more than 200 hours, capcom states that there will be major balance and system update after capcom cup ends, so I guess maybe next year It will get better.

guile is probably the best sfv character at defensive play and zoning

>Never said any of the things you are writing about
I literally copy pasted phrased from your post
>He has never been an aggressive character.
good thing I never said that.

Oh shut the fuck up.

JUST DIE

>I literally copy-pasted phrased from your post
You illiterate imbecile, anyone can use ctrl+g and see you are wrong. Give me a quote where I state that Guile can only be played one way or where I complain about losing to him.

they will always work unless they use a move with invincibility (like Ken's shoryuken)

if they try to wake up with a grab they will get counter hit, because when the meaty is properly timed, you will hit them during their startup (before the move is actually active and hitting you)

>complaining about a single spelling error
wew, it's nice to see you're running out of bullshit arguments though.
>Give me a quote where I state that Guile can only be played one way or where I complain about losing to him.
>moving the goalposts

>His gameplay is just very "simple and boring"
>Yes, he is "simple and boring"

>Probably because you get hit by the same "simple and boring" shit you complained about

nobody likes americans.

The statement "Guile is simple and boring" does not logically imply or contain statements "Guile can only be played one way" or "I get hit by Guile" or "I get hit by Guile and I am mad about it." Your statements are just strawmen invented by yourself. Guile is all fine for me; I simply won't play him myself as his design makes him very straightforward.

And what goalposts? Those statements are the literal strawmen you accuse me of saying, yet I never did.

>Those statements are the literal strawmen you accuse me of saying, yet I never did
Again, I literally copy and pasted these two
>His gameplay is just very "simple and boring"
>Yes, he is "simple and boring"
from posts you made

>The statement "Guile is simple and boring" does not logically imply or contain statements "Guile can only be played one way" or "I get hit by Guile" or "I get hit by Guile and I am mad about it."
Coming from the guy who accused me of being a Guile player because I said you don't know what you're talking about, it's pretty funny watching you try to be as psuedo-intellectual as possible because you got called out for saying stupid shit.

Because he's fucking boring to play

You being an angry Guile player was a mere assumption, yes, because I have no idea why else you'd disagree with me, other than lack of experience. Give me a top tier Guile player who does not seek to play zoning game with sonic booms and flash kicks and play psychology with dash throws and occasional jump combos. If there is one, he plays Guile unlike the rest of them.

And you didn't explain in any shape or form how "Guile is simple and boring" implies the things you accuse of me saying. You just keep typing without thinking.

What are normals? You know, one of the things Guile is known for?
>And you didn't explain in any shape or form how "Guile is simple and boring" implies the things you accuse of me saying
>y-yeah you proved you were quoting me b-but it doesnt count unless if you prove it based on my own critera

Where's the room?

>want to play guile
>hate charage characters
>sim takes work

You quoted statements I actually said, but the statements you accused of me saying were completely different and lack a relationship in content. Has nothing to do with my own critera if the statements I said are objectively different. This is how arguments work.

And holy hell, are you telling me that Guile gameplay is best portrayed by his average normals? Note that this is a question, not a claim. You must be thinking of Chun, Karin and so on. Every character uses normals, his normals definitely do not make him a complex and exciting character, or unique, in comparison to the majority of SFV cast. In comparison to my "Guile is simple and boring" claim. Again, give me a top tier Guile player who does not do things I mention in my greentext-simplification.

How did Guile get released before Sakura?

>You quoted statements I actually said, but the statements you accused of me saying were completely different and lack a relationship in content. Has nothing to do with my own critera if the statements I said are objectively different. This is how arguments work.
>"Never said any of the things you are writing about"
>posted example of me quoting phrases from you
>i-it doesnt count

>And holy hell, are you telling me that Guile gameplay is best portrayed by his average normals?
Again you complain that I accuse you of things you never said, while at the same time accuse me of things I've never said. Normals aren't the only thing Guile does but they're definitely a very important part of his playstyle and zoning, especially when keeping at mid-range.

>give me a top tier Guile player who does not do things I mention in my greentext-simplification.
youtube.com/watch?v=TZWYmqlBulA

>yo, guys, this game is really balanced, anyone can win!
>PR Balrog drops Rog
>Dieminion and NuckleDu drops Guile
>Sako drops Ibuki

Meanwhile, Xian didn't drop Fang because it's still the first year.
NuckleDu pulled out a Guile on Brooklyn Beatdown, so maybe he came back.
It's time for our boy to return to glory.
youtube.com/watch?v=U5Z7Lh31xSg

At that moment, you wrote that I complain about getting hit by Guile's simple and boring moves and that I assume he can only be played one way. In that context, it would have been clear to anyone but you that I was referring to those very things.

>While at the same time accuse me of things I've never said
That's precisely why I wrote that "note that this is a question, not a claim" line there, so your tiny brain would comprehend I am not making an accusation but presenting a question.

Also, at this point it is very apparent your goal is just to cause annoyance. My greentext simplification was never meant to be a complete guide to Guile gameplay; obviously he uses normals like everyone does. Of course he will jump over enemy's projectiles and punish. Of course he uses other moves than sonic boom and flash kick. But does this make him a complex and exciting character? No. ChrisG plays Guile like hs should be played at his level.

I've stopped playing a while ago. Is Bison good yet?

Why would he drop Rog. He's fine in this game.

>any of the things
can't squirm your way out of it so stop trying

>My greentext simplification was never meant to be a complete guide to Guile gameplay
nice backtracking >guile gameplay
>Also, at this point it is very apparent your goal is just to cause annoyance
I know getting called out on saying stupid shit must be annoying but if you want to keep saying stupid shit and backtracking you have to bear with it.

>PR Balrog drops Rog

Nigga what? Whose he playing now? Rog is perfectly fine and most likely getting DLC buffs anyways, the fucking twat.

necalli. because some characters just have it all. kinda reminds how ryu is jack of all trades and master of everything in this game too

Plus.
twitter.com/PR_Balrog/status/782386220332490752

Now he has reasons to finally retire.

There is a difference between "any of the things you are writing about" and "any of the things you have wrote about." This is basic grammar, you non-academic fuck.

Nothing in the original greentext has been proven wrong either; you are simply filling it with things left unmentioned because, in my opinion, they are not necessary in portraying what makes Guile straightforward and boring. When appropriate, Chris attempts to play defensively, which can be hard against the likes of Ken,he doesn't throw unsafe sonic booms, punishes with flash kicks and so on. Every character does footsies, so why would I mention them?

Everything that is said to you just goes over your head, just stop to think about this and compare it to what you have achieved in life. That will tell you if there is any truth to it.

Anyone want to play EU lobbies?

>not my game
It's not anybody's. It fucking blows.

>still trying to squirm your way out
just stop, you're embarrassing yourself

>>Every character does footsies, so why would I mention them?
>why should I mention a character's normals?
wew
>Nothing in the original greentext has been proven wrong either; you are simply filling it with things left unmentioned
It's almost as if you have no idea how the character actually works so you use the highly-simplified, age-old argument of "guile is a turtle character" despite me giving you evidence of the contrary like you asked for.

It's just me or there is someone here who also want to drop the game because of Ryu? Fighting him is so mentally draining. I can jump on a tick throw attempt against other characters, but Ryu can jlk slk DASH throw me, that I'm helpless. I literally drop the controller and close the game after fighting a Ryu who abuses his overpowered stuff. To name a few:
Weird hitboxes. He will anti air you with cmk, and his jlk is ridiculous
Dash: 16 frames.
Throw range: One Ryu dashed on me, I jabbed, my jab didn't reached him, but I got thrown.
Oki: He can pressure your wake up with anything. His blender is more scary than Mika's in the corner, since he just need to throw you 2 times and combo into super.
Invincible meterless reversal: I don't give a fuck about tradition. He dominates the neutral (really, if you throw tech him, it will be in his favor, everything he does afterward will beat you), has one of the best AA jabs and a parry. He doesn't deserve a meterless reversal. You deserve a reward for knocking a Ryu down.
Damage: His H shoryu shits out damage, and as I said before, he doesn't need meter to anything, so he will always hit with a CA.

I won't take the game seriously until season 2, and if Capcom doesn't nerf Ryu to the ground, I'll drop the game.

Mostly flash

>tfw swimsuit Mika

Sorry, guys, I dropped her because of the hate, but now I have to go back.

Why do artists always get her crotch-area wrong?

It's supposed to be revealing, for fucks sake

>her

Charge

I shouldn't mention something that is not the reason the character is boring if my intention precisely is to tell why a character is boring.

Guile is not the same turtle he used to be, but he is still the most defensive character in the game. In the video you linked, Chris isn't honestly doing good job with punishing pressure attempts and he often chooses to go on offense unnecessarily, probably because of the former.

What tier would Juri be without the charhe mechanic. But keep it on v-reversal.

>but Ryu can jlk slk DASH throw me, that I'm helpless

check it with a jab, dumbass.

>I jabbed, my jab didn't reached him, but I got thrown.

Your jab extended your hitbox which then got you thrown, he spaced well. Or maybe just plainly got lucky, fuck knows.

>Invincible meterless reversal
Tru, it's kind of a left nutsack.

>and his jlk is ridiculous

now this I feel, the hitbox on that thing is actually broken and needs some kind of change

I ain't saying Ryu ain't good in SF5, cos he is, he's real fucking good. But Ryu is still Ryu, he has the fundamental tools and they're quite effective this go around but he has nothing flash or particularly dirty, you can beat a Ryu by just playing a more solid game.

>>Dieminion and NuckleDu drops Guile

NuckleDu was playing Guile at ESL this weekend, he was destroying everybody with him until he went against Tokido, he didn't pick Nash or Mika once, I think he's sticking with Guile this time.

Because to win as Guile in SFV you actually have to play a strong zoning game. His normals are too slow for him to fight it out in close range, which makes him using ex-flash kick and v-reversal easier to predict and punish.

He was probably buffed by the last patch which reduced the input delay, because it is easier for him to react against jump-ins and sudden dashes now, what makes zoning easier.

Ibuki should be able to cancel her st lp st mp st hp combo into kunai on block

Holy shit you are both fucking faggots

Because Capcom haven't figured out how to ruin her yet.

Charge*
V-skill*

tfw infinite vtrigger evil sakura transformation
you are not ready for the flood

PR Balrog dropped the game altogether, he said earlier that he will wait for season 2, because he don't like playing against the current top tiers, meanwhile, Smug picked Balrog up, and Infiltration is practicing him as well.

Nuckedu is playing Guile pretty much full-time now, still a bit scrappy but he is getting there, maybe he should watch some ISDD videos to learn, because he could have won against Tokido had he done the full CC combo juggle, but he didn't have flash kick charged.

Sako is in character crisis, he can't even play Chun-li right because of this, maybe he will pick up Urien.

SFV would suddenly be GOAT

>maybe he should watch some ISDD videos to learn

>Sako is in character crisis

I feel bad for Sako honestly, nobody predicted Ibuki would be so bad in SFV.

Not him, but ISDD is a pretty solid Guile and anyone wanting to play Guile could take a leaf or two out of his book.
He's an absolute wank, mind you.

shes okay, im at platinum with only maning her, but GOD does she need something to get in with, you can do a lot of funky stuff with her, but you have to try 300% harder than the rest of the roster to win

she's definitely not ok, she has less options than fucking FANG

she works primarly off of counterhit, and thats a very bad playstyle to have online, but offline at lans etc? shes perfectly fine, shes just not an online char

Just came back from a quick online session. I'm Silver.
First fight: Ultra bronze Ryu. I lost.
Second fight: Ultra bronze Ryu. I was demoralized and was losing the first round, when I CC'ed him and did a VT combo, then the guy ragequits. On casual.
Third fight: Super silver Necalli. Won 2-1.
Fourth fight: Silver Bison. Lost 2-1. Every match I lost, it was laggy as fuck. Got caught by fullscreen slide and shit. Also, Alex is helpless against Bison if your AA ain't on point.

Fuck Ryu.

All of the Alexes I play (in super/ultra gold) are constantly mashing crouching jab. Maybe you should try that.

>underrated

But he's in the top half of the tier list. Out of like 22 characters, he's number 8.

Besides, R Mika is better.

PUM PUM CITAY

>cr jab
no

You want to be using cr mp to space, cr.jab spam is for the headcrush/stomp gimmicks which will only work a few times
If you're playing Alex, STAY GROUNDED

>user do you wanna play SF with me?

>No more RogRog
What Rog do I watch now? Brian_F barely goes to tourneys and Smug is never online during bong hours

Alucard.

I thought he stuck with Necalli

Nope, he's maining Rog for quite some time now.

Sometimes he decides to lose with Rog instead.

>Invincible move
>A psuedo projectile that's actually usable
>air grab

Ibuki is actually really good when you put in time to understand her. A lot of players who've been using her for the past couple of months are making her look good.

Is that why she's bottom tier? She's only better than Balrog and Zangief.

For one, tiers hardly matter in this game. Two, she's not even designed to be easy to pick up but that doesn't make her bad. Like I said, people who've been putting in work with Ibuki have definitely shown she's capable.

>friend says his favorite character is Ibuki
>played E.Ryu and Rose on 4
>played Ryu/Ken on SFxT
>try Ibuki for a day and say she is bad on V, even though she will probably get buffed on season 2
>says he will wait for Rose to change mains
>still won't play her if she isn't top tier

fucking faggot.

Tiers do matter, but there's only three tiers in SFIV; broken, B and shit tiers

He only uses Necalli maybe 10% of the time, Birdie 30% and then Balrog 60%.

>Balrog
>Any hit will lead to a high-low mix-up, guess wrong once and you die
>v-skill makes fireballs almost useless against him
>Same tier as Zangief

Watch Alucard vs Xian again, everytime he got a single punch in, he won, and he beat Xian 2-0 in a MU Xian considered free for FANG.

You should ALWAYS take whatever PR Rog says with a grain of salt, never forget this.

That's good to hear, Du is doing so well in this game too

Can't decide on main, so I'm rolling to decide.

Read what I said, silly billy. I didn't say they were both lower on the tier list. I just said they're the only characters Ibuki can fight.

You kids need to brush up on your Hugos. StormKubo was making top eights but always lost to a Makoto. Hugo had real potential but you had to have the mind, body, and heart to play through shitty matchups.

I don't think Ibuki beats Balrog...

She literally dies in one hit and to make things worse she has to come close to him with could mean death at any given second.

>muh meta hurr durr

Dude, I'm just fucking around. I've never touched SFV outside of that PS4 beta. If I did eventually get it though, I'd probably just stick with R Mika anyway. She's got a nice theme song.

Ignore most of those replies. To properly meaty someone you hit at the end of your move's active frames. This allows you to make moves more safe on block and more advantageous on hit. On someone waking up, no meaty attack will those to any normal throw.

Or you can meaty with a throw which is similar but throws usually don't have more than 1 active frame. Take Mika. After she Brimstone someone she can meaty the move again so the 5 frame startup is timed to land within the last two frames and scoop someone mashing a 3 frame button. Creating a mixup on someone because attacking and blocking now carry equal risk. Forcing them to backdash/jump. Which of course loses to a meaty attack because you'll catch their grounded pre-jumping frames.

That probably sounds like a lot if you've never looked at frame data, but it's key to why they can be mistimed. And yes, they all lose to invincible moves.

time to spend money on best boy.
www.eventhubs.com/news/2016/oct/03/halloween-costumes-and-stage-coming-street-fighter-5-october-bring-spooky-new-update/

Phenom won a major, didn't he?

seriously not fair every fuckin character should get a halloween costume