Why did nobody tell me that older games could be so compelling?

Why did nobody tell me that older games could be so compelling?

I honestly felt more during this scene than with any other game I've played this year.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=U7JIoALuJsI
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The mother series is great. The whole series. Imo it's one of the only series that gets better and better with each new game
3>2>1
imo, of course. Fuck mother 3 was goat

I'm near the end of the game already, gonna start EarthBound right afterwards, and then finally Mother 3.

I don't want the ride to end.

Because you assumed they couldn't be because they were older. Good games never age or stop being good, regardless of when they were made. DK64 for example had a lot of charm in spite of its flaws. A lot of old games tend to have some charm to them, even the not-so-good ones.

Mother had that same impact on me. I expected a watered down port of Earthbound and got a heartfelt story and adventure.

At this point i spend more time playing /vr/ games than I do new ones. In particular old cRPGs. Right now I'm playing Betrayal at Krondor and couldn't recommend it more.

To be fair some games age like milk.
IE I've been playing Tomb Raider recently and the controls took me a long time to get used to wich is not the case for other cinematic platformers like, let's say, Abe's Odyssey and Exodus wich hold up to this day.

I'll give you that. Early 3D games had a lot of issues. I'm amazed Spyro and Banjo-Kazooie were made in that era. Even Crash and Super Mario 64 respectively in '96.

>how to spot a tryhard: the post
You're the most pathetic sort, OP.
There are games where you can drive around an entire city and do whatever the fuck you want. There are games where you control legions of troops on a battlefield. There are even games that accurately simulate the entire landscape of a professional sport, but no, a handful of pixels, a chiptune and fucking reading makes you 'feel' more than real games do.

Why the fuck is that even something that needs to be said? Old games, especially games from the late 80s and early 90s before the 3D cancer really settled in are the best games there are, at least as far as arcade and console stuff goes.

Ye well thats because feels have nothing to do with graphics. If you want proof, play through To The Moon

Old wonky controls are half the fun for me. I'm playing Silent Hill for the first time this month, and besides the tank controls, it still holds up. The sound design alone is excellent. The use of static to indicate enemies is unnerving when you can't see where they are, the absolute silence when entering a pitch black building strains my anus.

Isn't this the game that undertale copied?

Undertale started off as an Earthbound hack.

I liked Mother way more than Earthbound or Mother 3, but nobody I've ever seen shares that sentiment.

I'm Not A Gamer Because I Don't Have A Life
But Because I Choose To Have Many.

Yeah but in that case the clunky controls were used to improve the experience rather than just being a technical limitation, they were very smart and did the same with the fog to hide the shitty draw distance. Tomb Raider is not an horror game but you still have no chance to dodge atacks from certain enemies because your movement is so limited.

Are those surface level features devoid of meaning supposed to be impressive? A game where an army is represented by abstract shapes can be more engaging than photorealistic game if it's backed up by well designed mechanics and systems or even story. Anything that gives the game meaning. Games that let you "do anything" and explore full cities tend to be the most mindless time wasting trash because nothing you do matters.

t. butthurt underage born after the golden era of videogames was over

youtube.com/watch?v=U7JIoALuJsI

"Man-made memories ordained destiny"

>real games
>"open world" simulators

Yeah man I feel a lot when I kill random hookers on GTA XD dud weed lmao

>tried to play this a week ago
>couldn't stand the gameplay
It feels really clunky. I really want to play it.

It was the first time you played an 8bit RPG?

I never found tank controls hard or unintuitive.

I feel alone in this.

Not really, I played FF1 on NES and Simon's Quest long ago and finished it just fine.

Weird then, Mother 1 isn't all that much "clunky" than FF1 was. In fact Mother 1 lets you walk in 8 directions on the map, and the comman battle is simple and fast enough (like Dragon Quest).

Now you mention it, you're right. It's a strange feeling, I wanna play Mother, but I want to play some other games more. Fucking backlong.

Give it a shot, it's a nice game, and not longer than 20 or 30 hours. How far did you make it when you played it?

Just after I left Ninten's home. I got random encounters left and right until I died. That probably turned me off the game.

Mate get the fuck out of here before you get spoilered

Not him, but it happens to me alot. Like i dropped earthbound just before lord belch for a while. Theres not much you can do besides suck it up, push through, and focus on the parts you like