store.steampowered.com/app/48700/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Uncompressed per-rendered cutscenes.

muh uncompressed audio and textures

Megatextures

>4 years ago we thought 30gb was fucking gigantic

jesus christ

Before ps4, games were only 8-12gb...good times

>Developer wants you to download the newest poison to prevent their incompetence from draining your bandwidth even further
Damn, I feel sorry for Steam users that will be forced into this shit eventually.

Remember when people flipped shit over the Force Unleashed: Maximum Sith or whatever took 30+ Gigs?

I know memory has only gotten cheaper, but come on. At least they kept co-op in this game; I was afraid it'd go the way of Halo 5 and everything else not made by Nintendo these days.

The ps3 still had 50gb games

but this game has very average graphics, textures and assets

my ISP plan has a monthly limit of 100G

Name one.

uncompressed audio
Audiophiles were a mistake.

Such is life in the third wor- I mean Murrica.

Why don't you move to a first world country?

Murrican here. No data cap.

uncompressed prerendered 4k cutscenes

>want gears 4 just for horde mode
>have to buy everything else with it

Not the same poster, but that shitty Star Wars game was huge as fuck on PC because they ported the PS3 version lazily.

>should we compress files?
>na we have a contract with internet providers and lighting companies
>also adding every file to the program to compress is too much cost

Lack of optimization
The biggest craze; be lazy with space since it's so cheap

6 different languages of uncompressed audio, probably

fuck the spanish, french, german, russian and everyone else who's too lazy to learn English

>The ps3 still had 50gb games

>original
>english or your lenguage if english isn't original
should be the only languages on games
but fuck repacking the game for each country

Odds are he is American. We have telecommunications monopolies and no laws limiting their ever growing fees and dirty tactics.

It really pisses me off that they keep pushing this shit. Why not just make all the uncompressed assets optional? Give me some shit base version of the game that's 20GB then offer the rest as some optional DLC to download.

I don't want to download 50GB for a game I'm going to play once or twice then never touch again.

>World of warcraft + all its expansions + all its patches come up to 35Gb with legion

What the fuck is wrong with developers and their shit compressing techniques...

>all digital future
>3rd world internet

Shitty programers

At least it's a shit game in the first place.

No real incentive to buy it.

I live in a 3rd world country and I have 35mbp/s connection with 20mbp/s upload without data limits and is very cheap too.

Really? I thought the biggest PS3 game was 0 bits.

It's like WoW is a decade old or something.

wow is a mess of blurry low res textures and ugly lowpoly models, comparing its size to anything modern is a joke

>triple-A games end up being 150 gigs in a year or two

I think God of War was 38.. FFXIII was 42.

I have a CFW so I downloaded that shit.

>w10
hahaha lol no

This desu.

If you can't speak English you should just be gassed.

the only difference is that modern games don't compress the audio anymore

COMPRESS
YOUR
SHIT

Use the extra space for more gameplay.

Metal Gear Solid 4 came out in like 2008 and it was about 42GB

Yeah but that's a movie.

> Gears of War 4 comes out on PC
> The digital version is 65€

Why they keep doing this. Just make them in-engine

After removing all the pretense red cutscenes with CFW the game still comes out to be 35+GB of textures and gameplay

Then it either uncompressed audio or uncompressed textures?
Also weren't like a half of MGS4 cutscenes rendered in real time?

>PC memers saying that consoles are holding games back
>Complain when games are too large
Really makes you think.

more gb =/ better game retard

>need to dedicate a 1TB hard drive just to download 10 modern games, each lasting only 3 hours
>"B-BUT IT'S COMPLETELY JUSTIFIED STOP COMPLAINING"

it's sad but lot of people have actually started judging games by that

might just be one reason devs are making no effort to make their game smaller

>wow, just 10GB? must not have a lot of content
been hearing that over and over

Ultra graphics. Pc and xbone are the true master race

70GB is going to be audio for the cutscenes. Expect a torrent with a tenth of the size with compressed audio coming up.

But muh artistic vision!
Consoles arent powerful enough for that!

Thanks for proving my point.

Shitters like you also complained when DVD was introduced and games finally became larger than 1 gig.

MGS4 was 40GB.

>mfw skyrim was released and people were baffled by the fact it was only 6gb

>PC is le master race
>HURR I CAN'T MAX OUT THIS NEW GAME ON MY ANCIENT TOASTER, THE DEVS ARE INCOMPETENT
>DURR WHAT THE FUCK UNCOMPRESSED AUDIO AND TEXTURES TAKE MUCH MORE SPACE???

>there are people defending this

An exception is not a rule

uncompressed audio.
you want to hear a joke? uncompressed audio is uncompressed because last gen consoles weren't powerful enough to decompress them in real time when in a game.
this trend is still going on to save power for better grafix.

>Downloading 20gb already takes me a full day
>They want me to spend 40 fucking days downloading their game

>8-12GB

Maybe on the ps3, most games on xbox 360 were like 4GB. Even games open world games like skyrim were 4GB.
Now the average game size is around 45GB.

What the FUCK happened?

Maybe it has something to do with games actually looking good now? Ever think about that buddy?
The "games were way smaller on consoles released 10 years ago" argument is retarded as fuck.

All those red-hot ultra 4K textures that look the same on the Xbone for some reason

Nice maths fgt

If you compress your 80gb game to a 60gb game, does that means it can include 20gb of more gameplay?

>mfw poorfags

The only one I know is ff13 but the only reason for that on pc was dual audio, because they were cutscenes in english and japanese.

Pc games mostly were 8-12gb. Now we have Fallout 4 which is 5x the size of skyrim and isn't bigger or something else

>only 38

What, you can't wait 3 hours for it to download?

Why do americans call grenade launchers "rpgs", the term is russian, I guess CoD memed it in though

It doesn't bother me so much when games are large but it's fucking retarded that when you buy physical now it's just a CD with nothing but a download code

Rocket propelled grenade

>a terabyte game in 6 years

Live in America. I pay $80 for 70 down and 10 up. No data caps. Y'all niggas need to live in a country that actually exist in the 21st century.

what does rpg stand for in russian?

That's not a very funny joke.

All memeing aside is win10 worth it? Buying a game once and having it on my xbox/pc sounds real fucking neato to me.

ITT: poorfags complaining about how devs can't make them not-poor

You're a fucking dumbass.

for that delicious cinematic experience user, what else? dont tell me you play games hoping to play a game user, that's not cool user

it is to a console player.

>woah man a 80gig 1080p upscaled to 4k at 30fps. This is... the future

Sounds like a good way to make people just wait for and pirate a repack which will end up being like under half that.

Uncompressed FMV and audio in 6 languages

We're almost there, but some studios will still outsource their FMV stuff.

I'm glad theyre keeping the 60 fps for multiplayer.

He's factoring in the days he has to go to school for.

>windows 10
>80gb
I wonder how many people will bother with this shit.

>Be playing pc port of 360 game
>Fmv cuts it in
>It's pre rendered from in engine
>It looks worse than in game
Why did the games from this period always do this

original DE:HR
>7gb
directors cut
>15gb

how is this even possible with the models and texturework being worse

Why do you care?
If you're poor enough to complain about file sizes then you can't run it on your computer anyway.

80gb is still annoying to download. Plus SSD are still expensive.

You're full of shit, come up here to Canads and you will learn what monopoly means.

Cred Forumseddit will

by pre-rendering they don't need to worry about sticking too much in a scene at once and causing framedrops. it makes planning cutscenes much easier (no worrying about performance) and allows stuff that otherwise wouldn't work (really busy scenes, for instance)

i'm still not a fan of it though

RPG refers to the grenade (that is rocket-propelled) itself.

When you see people screaming "RPG!" they aren't talking about someone throwing the launcher at their face.

They also were often made using in-game assets by 3rd parties but weren't actually in-engine.

>publishers still haven't started making Blu-Ray based physical games for PC

80GB isn't a big deal. Doesn't everybody have 1-2TB HDDs these days? You can pick one up for less than the price of a retail game.

If you still have a really limited datacap, it's about time you abanoned your shithole.

Pretty sure the last 2 physical games I bought literally contained nothing more than a Steam launcher on the disk

Nice strawman.

why would they do that? everything is digital now

Because they were DVDs and they couldn't hold shit
The last notable AAA PC game on physical DVD was GTA5, which had 8 fucking DVDs

>Why do americans call grenade launchers "rpgs"
Grenade launcher = Launches grenades
RPG = ROCKET PROPELLED GRENADE. ROCKET. PROPELLED.

Probably because literally nobody on PC has a bluray player.
Blurays on PC suck dick anyway, you need to use paid software to play bluray movies on PC.

>tfw Halo 5 is pretty much 90gb in size
>took up most of my storage
>Gears 4 being 80GB
>will have no space

This is why I want the physical edition rather than the digital. Games are becoming too damn big in storage space.

The physical copy won't expect me to install the 80gb will it? I can't remember.

>Games actually looking good now

Good one, Fallout 4 is 40GB and is running on the same shifty engine as Skyrim was. Developers haven't just added 36GB of graphics to everything, the majority is bloated shite.

I'll just wait for the decompressed/ripped version.

Metal Gear Rising is 26GB on PC but if you compress the cutscenes the game ends up being 8GB

How else do you expect those god-tier graphics and textures?

>buy blu ray drive
>all 3 physical pc games i buy in the next decade will just have download codes anyway

wew

All PS4/Xbone games require you to install the disc to your hard drive because the bluray drives inside them are too slow. The discs just act as DRM check now, it doesn't read it while you play.

>The physical copy won't expect me to install the 80gb will it? I can't remember.
why would the digital version take up less space

who is this semen demon

Because it actually is a complete game and doesn't have missing content

RPG stands for Ruchnoy Protivotankovy Granatomyot

It means handheld anti-tank grenade.

Nah, they weren't big games (Homeworld Remastered and Pillars of Eternity). Devs being lazy

ESL, please leave.

she's from the anime New Game

anyone else gettings gears 4 just for horde 3.0?

hmmmmmmmmm lets just deconstruct this
>Grenade launcher = Launches grenades
>RPG = ROCKET PROPELLED GRENADE. ROCKET. PROPELLED.
>ROCKET PROPELLED GRENADE
the tube is the rocket propelled grenade launcher, you seem to have conveniently glossed over the word 'grenade' while you were being so enthusiastic about the words 'rocket' and 'propelled' there jimmy
the term grenade launcher is correct when referring to the mechanism rather than the payload, and since the mechanism launches rocket propelled grenades, then hoo boy is it ever a grenade launcher!!
really most are called RPGLs for rocket propelled grenade launchers, but honestly nobody will ever call them that over RPGs because 3s are brain food

What's the big deal?

>half the content is DLC you need to unlock

Just get the repack you fucking idiots.

The PC one was about 25GB on PC. Now it seems kinda cute

no problems here

kek'd

>call grenade launchers "rpgs"
wat

I know that 'murricans know difference between grenede launcher and RPG. And I'm not even 'murrican.

breddy gud

Whatever happened to custom installs? Can I not install all the foreign languages I'm never going to play in? Or maybe the multiplayer component should be separate. These sizes get more and more retarded.

>whatever happened
lazy devs or greedy managers

>Windows 10
I seriously hope none of you fell for that.

Were you expecting an actual argument toward your blanket statement?

>Ruchnoy Protivotankoviy Granatomyot

for some reason devs want you to install all the languages even if you only speak english

titanfall is like 40GB worth of audio but if you take out all the additional languages it only comes out to be 6GB.

>a bethesda game was 5 gb in 2011.
>even AAA console games are 50 gb now

>I don't own an X1 or PS4

>Games used to be 20 MB in the 1990s

who-a

>20 MB
Jesus what is that, like 15 floppy disks?

>Get D44M
>see that its over 40gig download
>sudden loss of interest in the game as I don't feel like leaving my download on for the 2 days it will take

>tfw 1 terabyte games were only a thing before Cred Forums was old enough to have sex
Damn...

Clearly you don't own one.

The DLC is included and a ton of voice commentary got added in

GTA V

Uhhh, isn't a blu-ray like only 60GB?

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

PC PRISONERS PUNSHIED ONCE AGAIN

then buy the game in store?

Where do you live by any chance?

I know this feeling, only my data cap is 110GB.

PC version is only digital, there is no physical release.

its time to buy a console you fucking pleb

>Maybe it has something to do with games actually looking good now?
nope. these textures are more than 30gb.

Well I don't really see why you'd want to play it either way, but yes, consoles are a solution to your problem.
Meanwhile we in the first world have first world solutions

Consoles games are like 300% more expensive than PC games because of taxes, at least in my country.

but it's not about money, it's about internet.
AT least follow the conversation.

>No Man's Sky
>2GB download

At least the got the size right.

>tfw only have 678gb in 3 ssds
>each one has only about 100gb free
>if i install gow to one of them it becomes unusable for anything else

It's always jarring going from 1080p to 720 or 540 for older games. Serious Sam 2 annoys me with this, the game looks amazing while playing and then for each cutscene you get this nasty 4:3 blurry mess.

I complained about Fallout 4 being 30gb, now 30 seems quaint.

this is happening to me now with Wolfenstein: Old Blood
>playing game at 4k 60fps
>FMV is 1080p (at best) 30 fps

File size is directly related to quality. Cred Forums told me so.

this, it makes me so fucking mad
this has been happening for 5 years now
>get skyrim dvd 5 years ago
>at least it only needs to download the patch
now
>reinstall skyrim
>at least the disk will get 7gb of the game going and save me some download time
>so many patches since release that the entire game size needs to be re-downloaded anyway

I should throw away the disc, it's literally worth nothing

>Blaming audiophiles
Nigger this is purely thanks to console and theri weak as shit CPUs
Remember when Titanfall pulled uncompressed audio and their excuse was consoles having a shit CPU so they didn't wanted to waste processing time on the audio?

Crysis 3 is only 14.2GB. game size has little to do with image quality, it's all about compression. Console devs are lazy because blurays have so much space.

Try getting a HDD you stupid frogposter

>Get a 2tb hard drive
>spent 2 years downloading a shitton of vidya and movies, very rearely deleting them
>suddently 2016's vidya decides it will fuck my HDD shit up by releasing games that requires 50+gb per game.

If a game weights more than 25gb i expect it to literally look like real life, there's no fucking excuse for a 50gb game to look like shit.

gran turismo

>dealing with the slow as fuck load times of an ancient hdd
>2015+1

>muh games load 5 seconds faster
kill yourself

>not putting media files on hdd
you really have that many executables? the steam games i never play i just delete them or make a steambackup on the mechanical

>and yet you can play your very own music in both xboxone and ps4
news.xbox.com/2016/08/30/getting-started-background-music-xbox-one/
manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/music/usbmusic.html

Blurays never took off on PC because of the heavy DRM and required software/codecs to play it. Most people just decided it would be easier to deal with digital downloads and flash storage over Hollywood's bullshit. Part of the reason why Microsoft shilled HDDVD so hard was because Microsoft's software would run on it and it would be easily compatible with Windows,unfortunately HDDVD died and with it so did optical media period for PC at least. Now it seems to be dying completely, people would rather stream 4k even with the shitty bitrate than buy 4k optical discs of movies they probably already own on DVD or Bluray.

>Quantum Break tries to futureproof their FMV by streaming in 4k
>my shitty internet can't load any of the cutscenes

Devs are in league with harddrive manufactorers. They keep making games bigger and bigger so people will have to buy more storage.

>Arma 3
>tons of content in vanilla

>tons of guns, clothing, vehicles, maps, systems

>downloading everything worth it + the game is ~30gb

>Gears of Shitfest

> a game you know has nothing in it worth it

>80gb

Cliffy "Overwatch is Anime" B needs to mcfucking go vote for Hillary Clinton #I'mwithher

But Crysis 3 was a console game and even looked worse than Crysis Warhead (which in turn was only about 6GB in size)...

>TFW My PC has several 4tb hardrives I got for under $50 each
>TFW I can download that file in under 4 hours and I don't even live near a major city
>TFW Even with all that, I still wouldn't buy this because Gears is garbage

>who is this semen demon

Seriously, fuck uncompressed audio. Titenfall had a separate fucking installer for its shitty PEWPEW sound effects. If audiophiles want to wank to their FLACs and pretend like they can hear things they provably cannot hear, make it a separate fucking option.

MGS4 wasn't even 50gb

Is this the work of the hard-drive disk lobby?

Hopefully a compressed torrent will come out soon with a smaller filesize.

Data caps are suffering.

Man, these companies really dgaf don't they?
>80gb fucking download

>feels like yesterday I only had a 4 gig hdd.
>had to constantly install and uninstall games

>limited internet

I pay 100 buckaroos a month to not have a data cap, but my isp has ancient infrastructure and they get noise bleed/signal leakage in my neighborhood. I can't play battlefield since i've been here.

>678gb in 3 ssds
Jesus I wont buy a hard drive unless its 2tb at least.

Its isn't 1999 any more, are all your sd card 64mb.

>tfw I used to have a 300 gb data cap and would constantly have to pay because I went over it
>moved to a small community where the city is payed off and only allows this one shitty company with shit net but no cap.

I don't know which is worse.

ITT we play game devs and assume we know everything

>itt we pretend to be retarded and not know how technology works

i want people who don't know how a computer works to be kill.

xbox one needs to run it too

everyone is assuming what the reasoning behind this is when no one has a fucking clue, and neither do you.

>dude get a terra
>you'll never fill that up

FUCK YOU STEVEN FUCK YOU

>everyone is assuming what the reasoning behind this is when no one has a fucking clue

yeah because we certainly don't have a pool of evidence from past games indicating a current trend of devs doing shit like and

Windows PC's have something called "Explorer" where you can actually go in and check the size of different files and folders and determine what's the biggest contributor to install size. Almost all the time it's shit like audio, which is why piratex games are almost always dramatically smaller than bought games since the crackers take out shit no one cares about and compresses everything else.

For example, DOOM is 63 GB. 36GB is textures (Thank you Carmack) and 10GB is sound. Gears has 4k uncompressed textures, and probably the rest is filled with uncompressed audio, hence 80gb.

again, you have no fucking idea what you're talking about. Assuming things and constantly feeling the need to provide your opinion on things you don't know about is good proof of ignorance.

I play mainly on my PS4. You're an ignorant twat.

>Know my PC is only going to be able to run a game on lowish settings
>Game forces me to download the super high rez 40K textures meant for super quantum computers from the future anyway
>The game being 200 gajillion Gbs makes my hard drive space dwindle causing the game to run even worse

Thanks Obama.

>le poorfags meme

you're the most retarded poster i've seen in a while.

at least I know what the fuck I'm talking about. It's a discussion between a narrow minded consumer and an actual game dev

He's abandoned the thread after posting this, I guarantee it.

ok mr game dev. please tell me what you think may be contributing to the 80gb file size.

fuck

ITT people who fell for the $600 120gb SSD meme.

>$600 120gb SSD meme.
so people with 10 year old pcs?

>buy physical
>install
>20 gig patch

Why do Americans call a a swishy boomy drizzle a """thunder storm"""?

Considering you can buy this for half that price I don't see the problem.

Too much game for you pc bros?

because it's about 10% of your free space

i think devs are in league with each other. watch dogs 2, gta 5 and mafia 3 are the same game

Not that guy but 80gb is big, sure, but it's not the end of the world.

Not 50gb games you fucking retards.

Nobody on Cred Forums knows enough about the magical game drive box to know what that is. Even if they do chances are they don't own a supporting motherboard.

80GB for a piece of shit game that will have the same dull and generic gameplay as its predecessors, clocking a campaign at most 10 hours.

Meanwhile M&B: Warband is 4GB and gives you hundreds of hours of fun.

Fuck this meme.

Shillfag be gone

The size isn't the problem. The fact that it would takes me days to download 80GB is.

Too slow.

store.steampowered.com/app/48700/

>iwata dies
>compression dies with him
why

Padding to satisfy the storage lobby
Also this is the first step for the Microsoft cloud gaming service

>check windows 10 store
>they want 50 pounds for the standard version
>the ultimate edition is 80 pounds

lmao who the fuck do they think they're going to fool with that shit?

Solid state drives have lower capacities than HDDs in general due to costs

>win 10 anniversary requirement
>anniversary
Why?
Is it even a good update?

More like Tears of War

Comcast and AT&T are the only things I have in my area. Comcast has a 300gig cap and AT&T is a piece of hot garbage.

No, it was 31GB.

God of War Ascension is 72gb

>A foreigner being this fuckin dumb
No wonder America leads the world in everything.

Who is this stone face?

the Future.

>in 3 SSDs
Literally why?
I've got only one SSD for OS and that's it, why would you buy SSD disks for video games? There is barely any change in loading times anyway.
I would understand if they were cheaper but they're still not worth it to be used for vidya unless you're really reach and able to afford TB SSD disk (if any such large ssds exist, beacuse I have no idea if they do).

>reach
Fuck, I meant rich.

The campaign is 40 hours long and never uses the same assets twice.

My ass is made of gold

but he is right

grenade launcher is GL, "RPG" is the russian name for their rocket launcher ( wich translate as rocket propelled grenade )

RPG end in the same category of weapon as : AT4, SMAW and even panzerschrek

I have 5tb of storage in my gaming pc alone, and I still complain if a game is above 10gb.

4k textures
multi region audio

this is why HBM will blow the gpu market up
and why the devs say the game has sli only graphic options

It probably has some minor update to DX12 or something, that's why W10 games require it. The two main things I noticed are night mode which is ok but limited (only used for settings panels, not File Explorer), and it slightly fixes the garbage UI and start menu/

hbm will do literally nothing related to this msbro lol

>Want to grab the FFX/X-2 remake
>37 gigs

I understand that it's two games, but come the fuck on now, it's ps2.

>night mode not used for the bright white explorer windows
How can one company be so incompetent?

took me a second

>hours of HD pre-rendered dual audio FMVs
That's why
FFXIII was 60gb because of that and the FMVs were 720p

>60gb
what
i have it installed right now at 27gb
13-2 is just shy 14gb
it is pirated though so they probably removed all the shit or compressed it

Yeah, it's annoying having black setting panels and start menu mixed with white folders. There's still two control panels as well, which will never make sense. The only thing they did right from a UI standpoint is having customizable command prompt/powershell windows, so now Windows users can have colorful terminals like Linuxfags on Cred Forums.

Still bigger than 8-12gb, you fucking autist

The game is roughly made up like this:
Out of the 59gb install size, 9gb is game files including both english and Japanese voices, and especially 20 gb of english dubbed and lip synched cutscenes, 20gb of jap dubbed and lip synched cutscenes
Because they rendered all FMVs twice and redid the lip synching in both languages
Now the pc version is dual audio so this happens
To avoid having a file size of over 70gb they ported the game with 720p cutscenes instead of 1080p like rhe ps3 had
For reference the ps3 had identical game files but the pre rendered videos were 1080p so they took up over 30gb and the overall file size was 41gb, however it wasn't dual audio

'Member when games were only 2mb and had to be installed through 50 floppy disks?

>you must restart your computer

>Now it seems to be dying completely, people would rather stream 4k even with the shitty bitrate

>Stream a 4K movie on Netflix
>The bitrate is sub standard bluray
>This 4K looks worse than a 1080p bluray
>Their regular 1080p streams have bitrates just past a DVD
>This is the future

Expanding my bluray collection as much as possible for the inevitable collapse, I'm not dealing with this ass quality for everything I watch.

>data caps
>Murrica
You mean Australian/Canada.

>Data Caps
>in America
No.

>not getting it free with GPU

haha

And having to exit windows back into DOS to play because windows couldn't into games yet.

It's a big game

Rural bumfuck nowhere satellite internet has caps here in Burgerland.

EH... LIKE I CAN'T EVEN?

WHAT THE FUCK?

ASSASSIN'S CREED BOOPZABLE'S REVENGE IS LIKE... HOLD ME ON Cred Forums... HOLD ME ON

IT'S LIKE 1.68tb

WHAT THE FUCK UBISOFT?

I hope your satellite broadband is better than the one I used, fucking 800 ping to anything.