Why does everything made in this engine look like glossy plastic ass?

Why does everything made in this engine look like glossy plastic ass?

It doesn't. You're thinking of UE3.
And even then, you're thinking of UE3 used by extremely lazy devs who never touch t shader settings.

I'm not thinking of ue3. I'm thinking of ue4. Even in the tech demos shit looks like fucking plastic.

Because confirmation bias makes your opinion wrong

>No it doesn't.
>Yes it does.
>No it doesn't, here's some screenshots of it obviously not looking like plastic
>Yes, that totally looks like plastic, are you blind?
>So you're just a shitposter. Alright, have fun.

There. I just saved us both half an hour.

It makes things look plastic yes, but it always seems to run superbly fluidly. If the plasticky look fits in with the art style of the game then who cares? It'll likely run very well, which is arguably more important.
Anyway, it depends on what developers do with the engine. If their textures look like plastic, maybe they're misusing it or their texture art isn't as good as it could be.

Great thread.

>IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE PLASTIC IT'S JUST YOUR IMAGINATION MAN

>but it always seems to run superbly fluidly
wut? ue4 runs likes shit. so did ue3

>t. "i-imported-pbr-wrong"-newfag

Gideon is so fun to play

Yes, that looks like plastic. Are you blind?

Are you able to read reply chains properly?

>t. a blind person

I don't know if you're just so used to looking at plasticy-looking games that you think it looks good or what. Here is an example of a game in an engine that doesn't make everything look like plastic.

>like plastic

That doesn't even fucking mean anything. If you tell a graphic designer "make it look less like plastic" then they will tell you that you are retarded.

UE3 seemed perfectly fine to me, even though I'm way behind the cutting edge of PC tech. I'm running a machine from 2012 with a 750ti, and UE3 games play just fine, even with my modest setup.
I think it's all down to how the engine is used.

Batman Arkham Knight looks great and that was made with UE3.

Well played.

japanese at least manage to use the engine, see guilty gear Xrd and Gal Gun double peace

>that character design

I know I was just shitposting like
and

First they said it about UE3

Because it doesn't.

what game is this

Vermintide

>it doesn't

those cobblestones look kinda like plastic

aw, it looks good but it's warhammer. is it actually a good game even then?

it's victorian left 4 dead with rats instead of zombies.

>Clearly raining
>Obviously shitty texturework in general

Come on man

what the fuck is this

Its a meme engine.

Every class has a fun weapon to use. Shield and one-handed weapon, rapier and the two-handed longsword are my top three and even then the only class I don't like playing at all is the elf. Since it's four players with five characters, that means I never have to worry about getting the character I want.

It shouldn't, but if things are in a certain game, it's because the texture artists are probably still using shitty Specular maps and not metallic and roughness maps.

No, it's because of the way UE4 renders shit. In something like Stingray/bitsquid, which is what vermintide runs on, if you crank up the metallic attribute it actually looks like metal, in UE4 when you do the same thing it just makes things look like plastic that's been spray-painted with shiny paint.