Just started playing this, why do people hate it so much again...

Just started playing this, why do people hate it so much again? Seems to be by far the most advanced gameplay wise and its operator as fuck to boot

very fun to play, too bad you watch most of the game

plebs will say the long cutscenes even though no one plays mgs for the gameplay

>though no one plays mgs for the gameplay

Says you.

so the main complaint is cutscenes?

But previous MGS games were 50% cutscenes/codec calls so what's the problem?

octocamo is the most baby mode stealth in the series

>what's the problem?
People whose first MGS game was 4, desu I wish the series ended at 4, the adventures of Big Boss weren't really needed.

It had great gameplay but so little game to actually utilize it on. The levels were linear as fuck and left no room for variety or exploration

What gameplay? There's fuck all of it.

It took a good male/male friendship from the first 2 games and turned it into yet another homosexual pairing because of fan demand.

MGS IV and V are badly balanced in opposite directions, they don't feel 50/50

Lol this entire thread and nobody mentions the story. Mgs4 ruins basically everything about every good character.

First of Raiden. He should know from mgs2 about having his own thing to fight for. He should know what he wants to pass on. He should be free from the players will. Those were the entire points of mgs2. Yet because people didn't like mgs2 kojima said hurr durr I'm gonna make raiden like the player again cause the player didn't get snakes message so obviously raiden didn't either. Raiden is turned into a stupid fucking le edgy cyborg bad ass ninja who doesn't even care about rose anymore which is complete opposite of his character.

Next vamp. Why is he working with ocelot? The person who killed his lover fortune? Nobody knows and it makes no sense.

Everything else is ruined by nanomachines. All the cool mystery you remember from mgs2 flushed down the toilet. Vamp can regen because nanos. Ocelot is not actually possessed by an arm he brainwashed himself with nanos to become liquids doppel ganger.

Not to mention the worst bosses ever the b&bs. Yeah they're fap worthy but the most corny le edgy bosses of any game.

Basically mgs4 ruins the story and characterizations of the other games by trying to explain everything and doing it poorly. I'm sure some other anons could add to what I've said about ruining characters.

How do you see that in MGS4, but not 1 or 2?

OcelotxSolid was there from the start.

MGS4 would have been perfect for a subsistence re-release, with a shit ton VR missions, like MGS2: Subsistence. MGS4 even had the VR framework already laid out, with that VR shooting range.

Game would be 10/10 if they removed Drebin. I fucking hate niggers and he just completely ruins the pace of the game with his nonstop bullshit.

Becomes complete shit by act 3 and never recovers.

How far in are you OP? The game is great in Acts 1 & 2, it takes a nosedive at Act 3.

not to mention it completely ruins VR theories on mgs2, which single handedly makes mgs2 look like shit.

lots of retcons, unnecessary explanations that make everything look weirder, hollywood style action cutscenes, nanumusheens

Not really. At least in the first three it felt like you got a satisfying amount of both (with some horrendously long sequences at times).

MGS4 really did feel like it wrestled control from you far too much. Like Paris (?) which was a bit of sneaking and a boss fight with huge cutscenes throughout.

And then yeah as everyone said they went the complete other way with 5 and it had no character to it.

Got at the point where you get the oil barrel and took a break

>Thinking the laughing octopus battle was more edgy than HEY I'M A MAN MADE OF BEES

Fuck you all, I liked the cutscenes

best bosses are only and only in MGS1 because they have actual characterization. others are just marvel type villains with shitty motives and literally pointless moves

MGS4 pacing is awful and its set pieces atrocious. The game encourages a more offensive, less sneaky approach most ot the times.
Open war isn't a good set piece to sneak around. Being able to find resources, ammo, and the ability to buy resources any time, any place, removes challenge and encourages you going all out because the penalty is non existent.

Content wise more than half of the chapters are garbage. Only the first two are passable. Only passable.
The eastern europe chapter is awful. A lot of potential wasted .
The Shadow Moses nostalgia trip is ruined by a cut down version of the installation and fucking annoying robots patrolling the rooms.

After that you have the last chapter that is nothing but 2 boss fights.

You can't say the game has good gameplay where you barely do any gameplay or sneaking.
MGS4 only shines in the multiplayer. Amazing and unique online. Sadly it is dead and replaced by the casualized and bland MGO3

Its level design threw away all hope of putting to use the best mechanical handling and general mechanics in the MGS series.

I liked it! V is okay once you realise it's not the metal gear you'd want but I still prefer 4 to V...

>I wish the series ended at 4
Same, I refuse to acknowledge anything after 4 ever existed. In my mind, MGS is 1-4.

Not even that, the other games have pretty much zero relevancy, and I didn't think Big Boss was all that great of a character in 3 anyway, so I wasn't compelled to follow him further.

Hating MGS4 is a literal meme.
Also, some MGS2 fangirls are buttmad about the game literally fixing Raiden.

keep playing and you might figure it out.

Too many cutscenes
First half of the game can get pretty weak at times
Worst enemy team by a fucking landslide
Almost everything left unexplained in the previous games is explained in the lamest ways possible which fits the theme of the game, really

Other than that it's pretty great. I still think it controls better than MGSV

Story is a literal cringefest and doesn't stand on its own legs like past games.
It feels like the whole thing was made for $$$. It's full of fanservice and dumb plot twist and tries hard to answer questions from 2,3 and 1 that were never meant to be answered.

Then you have the gameplay. It's okay. Problem is, you only get to actually play the game for 2/5 of the game.

Chapter 3 is a borefest and a shitty "follow this guy whistling for 40 minutes " mission followed by a shitty on rails segment followed by the shittiest boss in the series.

Chapter 4 is nostalgia done wrong. Place should've been empty, not full of little robots. The MG fight is cool but that's pretty much it.

Chapter 5 is a corridor. A semi cool Mantys fight followed by the cringiest cutscenes in vidya history (Meryl/Johnny).

I really wanted to like it. I can't. It's by far my least favorite Metal Gear game.

Also Hayter sounds like he has throat cancer.

It has my favorite gameplay in the series and those who enjoy Peace Walker more literally played it first. Peace Walker's gameplay is just a shallow version of MSG4s and it's piss poor in comparison.

MGS3 > MGS2 = MGS4 > MGS > MGR > MGSV = MGSPW