ITT: We reccomend anons video games similar to their favorite books

ITT: We reccomend anons video games similar to their favorite books.

Other urls found in this thread:

ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/info/
youtube.com/watch?v=Nhb-CZnk6uQ
bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1g84m0sXpnNCv84GpN2PLZG/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-game-30th-anniversary-edition
sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/00/pwillen1/lit/borg&i.htm
store.steampowered.com/app/512540/
youtube.com/watch?v=jg4OCeSTL08
youtu.be/RxdUFOKG3r4?t=24m45s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I wish there was a game like Dune.
Do you want an expensive new York dinner simulator or an outfit description Sim?
Metro and Stalker series.

I'm lazy

This game is decent though.

There's no way I'd enjoy a game along the lines of this though, so don't bother.

Noby Noby Boy

Whatever Reddit: The game is this month

>He hasn't played Dune II

noby noby boy

Do your best.
Please! I really don't know where to even look.

Favorite is Roadside Picnic, but I know anons will just recommend STALKER.

Katamari Damacy or The Maw

Hitman

Holy fuck you plebian piece of trash. I hope you're being ironic, because that book is one of the worst pieces of trash I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

If you're going for a generic high fantasy series, at least read The First Law trilogy. It's actually written well and thought out, unlike Patrick "It Was Just a Bard's Tale Bro" Rothfuss' horrible shit.

Oh, and non-modded Skyrim.

I want to recommend you Hyperion.

Fucking christ, I wish. Wolfe is so good.

ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/info/

I'm not even joking.

>young adult distopian novel

Dear fucking god....

Artemis Fowl

Darkest Dungeon?

Or anything by Neil Gaiman

I liked this book

>The First Law trilogy
>high fantasy
it's very much low fantasy faggot

I've actually heard about that one, though I forgot about it a while ago. I wish I had the patience for ASCII games of this complexity...
But still, thanks! It's a good recommendation. I did not actually expect any reply at all.

>Mein Kampf

Fire emblem

Dragon's Dogma

Honestly if the dystopian part was missing it would still be an excellent story, all memes aside

>Do you want an expensive new York dinner simulator or an outfit description Sim?

You obviously read the book, +1

call of cthulhu dark corners of the earth

gabe newell simulator

postal 2

Seriously? That's your FAVORITE book?

There is no videogame that could transmit the excellent ambient of the camp, but I like to fly bombers in war thunder while being attacked by heavy flak and pretend Yossarian is doing his shenanigans on the plane.

Wolfenstein

They're not just going to be smart. They're going to be mean.

Those are great YA books user, but come the fuck on. Those are STILL your favorite books?

good luck

russian roulette. You play that with a real gun

Persona 2.

bonus points if not by david cage

>Cities XL

>low fantasy
>doesn't take place on Earth
What.

Try ascii games once, user. At first it's a clusterfuck, but then it clicks and you're set.

Unfortunately I can't vouch for URR, I'm waiting for it to be in a more complete state before diving in.

Ill be honest, i loved it when i was younger, it'd probably seem way too juevinile if i read it now, i just put it there since i like fantasy and i'd have trouble deciding between things ive read more recently

lul not bad user

Good luck with this one.

Hardmode: No Antichamber

Shit that's tricky.

Don't Starve is full of black humour and is basically about learning to master its systems through the various deaths you will inevitably come to. If you look at it from your characters' perspective there's a similar futility there.

it was a good series, then they introduced like travel and warlocks and everything feel to shit.

>tfw when /ss/ of holly and artemis is nonexistent

All I know about Artemis Fowl is that the guy who wrote those also wrote a really terrible attempt at a continuation of the Hitchhiker's Guide series.

Gone Home

Good taste dude. I was pleasantly suprised how decent his sons book was. Not as good as the trilogy, but not bad.

i meant to say time travel, shit

Don't say the Blade Runner game, because I've already played that.

I was talking about it being a novel for young adults. Young adults who wont get 90% of the references in the book but will shit post all over the place about how bla bla bla game from 'way back' is their favorite.

itt: people trying to impress strangers online with
nice bait

Manifold Garden? No creepy vibe, but full on spatial mindfuck.

>tfw haven't read a book since highschool when we were forced to
I used to read all the time as a kid too.

shit taste
>child labor consisting of focus-testing dubstep composed by an AI for hours on end

Please help

Atlas Shrugged

Meme run

Not the Blade Runner game

Hitman Blood Money

JFK reloaded

Squad or PR with the right people role playing

I liked that one but i cant recommend a game based on it

This thread is silly.

idk how averse you are to visual novels, but YU-NO had this gameplay feature where your decisions weren't always permanent, and you could travel to parallels worlds to branch or fork off of alternatives and explore the paths that your initial decision might of locked off. of course, traveling to other worlds would impact gameplay/endings and such

its a bit clumsy, but you have to admire how someone back in the PC engine games tried to integrate a system similar to Borges' garden of forking paths into a video game

GTA Vice City

this

I would sacrifice myself if it meant a game like this was made

Pan by Knut Hamsun

JFK Reloaded

Just start reading again, it's not hard.

Lets post some fun ones

>There will never be a videogame based of a novel by the Dick himself

NieR? It's a loose connection, but it's all I can think of.

To be fair, the quality in the last two novels of the series that Adams wrote were also terrible (and the third wasn't exactly good), so it seems like writing a terrible sixth entry is only honoring the series' legacy.

But no one over the age of 14 thinks Artemis Fowl is their favorite novel.

I did, with URR. Don't underestimate my insane love for Borges: if there is something even remotely connected to his work, you can bet your ass I'm gonna give it an honest try.
It did not click. I liked the idea, but after some 10+ hours, I was just exhausted and sick of it.

Before that, I fooled around with Dorf, but man that thing was just fucking driving me nuts. I hate internal inconsistency and lack of internal logic, and Dorf's U.I. made me chew on my desk with frustration.

I was being an asshole a bit back with the post. There is actually still one more game heavily inspired by Borges that I actually know about. It's IPL's Pathologic. Which is, unsurprisingly, my all time favorite game, ever.

That does sound interesting. I might look into it. I'm definitely not a fan of visual novels, but it's not a categorical "no-no" for me either, I'm really willing to try a lot when it comes to my craving for magical realism, philosophy and the beauty of mirror's and masks.

Oh yeah, on the subject:
Do you folks know Valve was making a game almost entirely based on Borges'es Ficciones (Borges was apparently the favorite author of both Gabe and Laidlaw)?
It was supposed to be a massive and pretty esoteric project, too.

>i liked that one but i cant recommend a game based on it.
Yeah, I didn't expect any games to be like it. Thanks for trying though.

Crime and Punishment. Please no Sherlock: Crime and Punishment that game was just kinda okay.

Mirrors Edge

MGS1

Believe it or not, The Longest Journey might be an interesting place to look into.
Also the Blade Runner adventure game was pretty damn awesome.

Deadly Premonition
LA Noire

I already played all the civ games

Once the CDPR Cyberpunk game comes out

Silent Hill 2.
MAAAAYBE Pathologic.

Only halfway through book 6 right now but I picked it up like two months ago and have been tearing through them since I started.

And yes, I know about Crossroads of Twilight and Winter's Heart. No need to warn me again.

Dick was too schizophrenic and high on speed to design a game. Itd be Nier levels of purposeful unintuitiveness but dialed up to 11

This was my first sci book

don't have any games to recommend but great taste user

egwene a best

Tenchu

Ignore this meme-poster.
Get Gothic 2.

I wish there was a game that could capture the hilarity of this book

It maybe isn't my favorite book of all time (I don't know what would be) but it is my favorite book I'm reading at the moment.

>No Neuromancer modern game or movie and it's been 30 fucking years

Why are all Two Rivers folk so based?

its a shame too. Its perfect for a movie or game. I think a game would work better if it was just set in the universe and was an RPG. Not like an actual retelling of Case's story

I love DP and Twin Peaks so that's kinda spot on (though I love em for totally different reasons than CP but yknow).

I've never played Silent Hill 2, I'll give it a shot. Pathologic is great from what I've played but I'm gonna wait till the remake.

Maybe not my favorite book, but is there a game with a similar plot progression to this? Closest thing I can think of is Kirby Super Star.

What about System Shock?

I don't have a favorite Discworld, but Color of Magic is the first and it's a good one.

>Perrin
>based

>Count Zero > Neuromancer > Mona Lisa overdrive
Fact.

I wish there was a game like this

Assassins creed 2

This or Black Company or Neuromancer.

Blood Meridian

Woah that's pretty crazy.

Can't tell how the hell you're supposed to play the game from youtube though...

oh yeah, i've been meaning to play through ss1 and 2

I'm actually currently reading Neuromancer for the first time. Havent read the others. I assume they're both worth it then?

Just bought the trilogy book.

English isn't my main language but couldn't find in my language so it's going to be a slow crawl. There better be a good wiki for all the terminology and character bios.

one of those oldschool rpgs you find on gog

Mona Lisa got redundant, Count Zero is more or less a decent book.

Specifically Tombs of Atuan

Quadrilateral Cowboy?

Shadowrun Returns takes the Aesthetic without doing anything interesting with it but if you like cyberpunk it's there.

I would imagine that adapting Borges' systems of infinity and representation approaching reality would be difficult, although procedural generation and VR are very much something I would imagine Borges would delight in.

BTW, I know its entry level but have you enjoyed Cortazar's Hopscotch yet? I think you would enjoy it.

The MOTHER series has some influence from Vonnegut.

Someone already posted House Of Leaves, so let's try my other favorite: L'Etranger, by Camus.

yeah seriously, how the fuck did Ubik get a game

is there a game with better sand worm gameplay?
youtube.com/watch?v=Nhb-CZnk6uQ

i fucking hated this book. it read like bad fanfiction and was like "oh boy look how many dumb 80s things we can throw in here. do you remember ultraman? kids love ultraman"

Holy SHIT Rothfuss gets a lot of hate. I actually thought Name of the Wind was quite good. It's not as good as Stormlight or Riyria, though.

Cirque Du Freak

Was the only book that I genuinely enjoyed.

Earthbound? Pure and light hearted but beneath its interior you'll find something a bit sad.

you should read the one he wrote after it

I haven't read in a while, but I liked King Solomon's Mines

>Quadrilateral Cowboy

shit, i never didnt know about this game. I might check it out

Something that doesn't take itself seriously and manages to have decent humor

This book is fucking great by the way. The sequels aren't as good but they're still good.

Idk man, maybe the Magicka games

Ghost of a tale

Most humor based games are like that. Maybe lucasarts adventure games are something you would like.

Here we go.

Literally, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines is your fix

he has better books but this was my introduction to cesar aira and I really enjoyed it IMO

best way to describe this would probably be absurd/academic sci-fi

What recommendation would you guys make if i said The Stupidest Angel

Overgrowth, if it ever fucking comes out.

tf2 jokes aside, probably eternal sonata.
never ever.
Fire emblem or Mount and blade: warband
Vampire the masquerade: bloodline

Its cause he has a pretty awful internet presence. I agree with you, I quite like Kingkiller Chronicle but it does end up being over hyped and people scream its the best newest fantasy of the last 5/6 years when it's really just a pleasant read. It doesn't help that Kvothe is more or less a Mary Sue until he becomes Kote, no matter how many times he stumbles. Add on the fact book 2 has him literally fuck a sex goddess so good that she decides to not murder him, a training arc that felt like it came from Dragonball Z, and that Rothfuss generally very unprofessional on Twitter and the like, its no wonder he gets shit on. Since I read Kingkiller Chronicle a couple years ago I don't think I've seen him officially declare any actual progress on The Doors of Stone. So yeah.

Life is strange.
That book was awful, by the way
No more heroes or Bastion

Divinity Original Sin (or another Divinity game)

They also made some great point and click Discworld games. Not Monkey Island great, but still pretty good.

>>BTW, I know its entry level but have you enjoyed Cortazar's Hopscotch yet?
I did read it. I did not enjoy it.
I did very much love Cronopios y de Famas though. Cortazar is good, it's just that after binging on Fowles, Durrell and Eco, I grew kinda fucking sick of young existentialist students of literature sitting in coffee houses and complaining about relationships with crazy bitches for several hundred of pages.

As Borges would say, "Writing long books is a laborious and impoverishing act of foolishness: expanding in five hundred pages an idea that could be perfectly explained in a few minutes."
I'm more of a short story guy...
Did you ever try Pavić's Chazarian Dictionary? It's a treat if you enjoyed Tlon...

>I would imagine that adapting Borges' systems of infinity and representation approaching reality would be difficult,
We played for the longest time with the possibility to construct virtual Library of Babel with my friend. But, as far as I can say, it's mathematically nearly impossible. And even if it could be done, it would be a really hardware-intensive random text generator...

I was actually always more fond of the narrative theory than the plays with infinity in his works though. I always enjoyed stories like Tlon, Menard or Secret Miracle more than Library of Babel or Gardens of Forking Paths.

bad rats

I didn't know he was a shitter on the Internet. I ignore that stuff for the most part and focus only on the literature. He said he wrote the entire story as one book but separated it into three, so if that's actually true he must just be revising it. I did read Slow Regard of Silent Things and that was the biggest piece of shit I ever read. It was literally autism: the book. Seriously. I still want to see the ending to Kingkiller anyway, but I'm more interested in Stormlight Archive by a lot.

This series is pretty good too.

The Long Dark

Mine's probably pretty easy

>Was the only book that I genuinely enjoyed.
That is... really kinda sad.
I mean don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Conan, I think it's a fun book. But seriously? The only book you ever enjoyed? Nothing else?

Either there is something wrong with you, or you haven't been looking very hard. And by hard, I mean: at all.

Ghost of a Tale when?

This whole trilogy. basically realistic dystopian sci fi with a focus on characters and ecological topics

>a pleasant read

how I would describe it. the sex arc was pretty gratuitous.

>fucking a sex goddess for years in a slow time dimension
>grants him knowledge to fuck any woman into submission
>gives him magic shit when he leaves

we mafia iii now

I just want to purge assholes and heretics and have platonic relationships with Jewish girls

PTSD-wise, Rising Storm/Ro2

How about the opposite? My favorite games are mass effect, oblivion, bioshock, and resident evil

What books would I enjoy besides Ayn Rand

If someone can recommend a game based on this, i'll be impressed.

>My favorite games are mass effect, oblivion, bioshock, and resident evil

so you like generic sci fi, generic fantasy, and generic horror?

not saying any of those games are bad necessarily but holy shit just google best selling [genre] and you will find books that would fit those games.

>Crime & Punishment
>Divine Comedy
>Frankenstein

Recommend me something.

I haven't heard of Pavic, unfortunately. At the moment I am impoverished of time as it must be spent between work and my girlfriend right now. Writers that approximate the same tone and themes of Borges that I have read would be Eco, Angelica Gorodischer, and Sasha Sokolov. If you can reccomend a good collection of short stories, I will most definitely put in an order.

Library of Babel, Gardens, and On Exactitude were always my favorite stories when I read them in high school, simply because his ideas carried so much weight and imagination for me. I always struggle with Narrative, which is why these stories drew me in, perhaps.

tetris

>implying the wikipedia definition of low fantasy is relevant at all

>tfw take public transportation to campus
>have like 3 hours of downtime between classes.
>6 hours on Wednesday
>so fucking bored I've started voluntarily reading again
I don't have enough autism (or too much, not sure) to play my 3DS or Vita in public, so that pretty much limits my options to reading.

I like Thompson books by the way. Curse of the Lono arrives tomorrow.

What's Cred Forums's opinion on e-readers?

I got one and it was the best electronic purchase I ever made. It has already saved me money on all the books that I have pirated and read.

>Crime & Punishment
Silent Hill 2
>Divine Comedy
Planescape: Torment
>Frankenstein
System Shock 2

they're fine

you'd go blind with anything else, especially a phone/adobe e-reader. very good on the eyes I hear.

Dune is a pretty well known classic when it comes to sci-fi so how is that impressive?

try Led Zeppelin hammer of gods book

Oh yeah, far less relevant than some random faggot on Cred Forums.

Definitely something by gearbox.

hardmode: no star ocean

>gearbox
>decent humor

bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/1g84m0sXpnNCv84GpN2PLZG/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the-galaxy-game-30th-anniversary-edition

>crime & punishment
sin & punishment
>divine comedy
dante's inferno or DOOM
>Frankenstein
Space Marine

Sublime taste - Pathologic.

got some epub reader for my tablet, I'm incredibly satisfied with it and have tons of books there

I hope the soon become standard so we can finally get rid of paper dependance in that area

I bought one for my nephew and pre-loaded it with a bunch of fantasy and sci-fi books. My brother told me that he's actually reading more, rather than messing around with the ipad they bought him.

If they can have that kind of effect on a 12 year old, I think they're a good thing.

Alternate between Virtua Tennis and Big Pharma

indeed if kids feel paper books are cumbersome to have and read having a tablet (which they learn to use earlier each year) it can actually help a lot

giving them easy to read books that are more interested in telling an story than making social commentary or being an analogy helps too

I wish someone would make an e-reader the size of the DX.

>I haven't heard of Pavic, unfortunately.
Look him up, save the name somewhere, maybe you'll find some time to see him one day. I won't lie though, despite being relatively short, Chazarian Dictionary is an insanely time-consuming book if you really want to read through it carefully. It's formally a crazy experiment, because the "book" is actually really a dictionary, consisting of alphabetical entries rather than traditional chapters. It's quite brilliant and the inspiration from Tlon (as well as some other stories) is pretty obvious. It's probably the most quintessential postmodern book ever written too, but don't let that disencourage you: it's fun and it's clever and it actually makes sense.

Other than that, I know Sokoliv, and I've read a lot of Eco before I realized I actually don't like him all that much (Name of the Rose is fantastic, and Foucault is... well it sure as fuck is impressive). Never heard of Gorodisher though, I will look that up.

I've been reading Borges since I was 15 and I still haven't stop more than a decade later. It's actually insane because I'm still finding new layers of meanings in his works even after all this fucking time. It's... well, an obsession of sorts.
To be perfectly honest, the absolutely best thing he ever wrote, however, is this one:
sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/00/pwillen1/lit/borg&i.htm
Don't worry and click it, it's like three paragraphs long. For somebody who gained some insight into who Borges was as a person, I think it's one of the most intimate, terrifying texts I've ever seen.

evan jelly in

Oh, well, I was assuming games actually based on the book didn't count.
Already played that anyways.

ARK Survival Evolved's new DLC: Scorched Earth

store.steampowered.com/app/512540/

I read most books on my galaxy s7. Why do people spend money on e-readers if most already have a smart phone?

There's a glossary in the end of the first book.

IMO don't look it up, most terms are kinda-sorta understandable in context, and not knowing the precise translation adds to the experience.

bioshock isn't generic

low fantasy is something with only a few fantasy elements, like the early seasons of game of thrones

high fantasy is something that's completely out there like D&D or LOTR or something

because the screens are totally different.

>than making social commentary or being an analogy helps too
As long as they later grow out of genre-fiction of course.

You mean the Mr. Saturn?

My favourite book

Caterpillar

>As long as they later grow out of genre-fiction of course.
>he says while on a video game image board

weak bait.

Not him but I always thought Mr.Saturn was inspired by the most classic meme.

GOTY electronic

Utterly hate them. Reading from them feels like a sacrilege. A book is a fucking book. It's weight, it's texture, it's smell are all part of the experience. Grow a spine and get some taste you fucking pleb.

Actually, if they get more people to read more, they are a good device and I'm happy that they exist. Seriously, it does not really matter how you read, it's the reading itself that counts. I'll personally never get used to them though.

Exactly. Video games and television perfectly fill the need for low-brow easy entertainment. There is no need to waste time on low-brow literature. May as well jump straight to the good ones.

maybe true but being mexican I grew up in the middle of pure garbage known as hispano-american literature which is more interested in showing how shitty goverments are and how shitty the life of minorities is

it gets boring really fast and my friends and cousins barely read as most stuff that they can read in spanish is more of the same garbage

Not really a bait, if it's true. It's not even that an unpopular opinion, really. I mean nobody says that you can't read genre fiction from time to time, just like it's fine to play games, it's just about realizing there is more to literature than genre fiction...

fair enough having an actual physical copy of a book is actually part of the fun of reading/collecting but if you can't find a physical copy an ebook is the way

>Grow a spine

With the internet how is it even possible to not find a copy of a book? I've gotten a lot of my copies of books used on amazon for like $1. Unless it's a currently living and working author then I always buy new.

Haha for a second I thought someone with an actual scrupulous and passionate opinion was on Cred Forums.

Kirby Mass Attack

Amazing taste but sorry I have nothing to recommend

If I can't find a physical copy of a book, that is where the real fun starts. Nothing feels greater than going through old book stores, browsing through antique book shop sites, spending weeks and months seeking the damn thing and then, finally, one day: I'll enter the right shop, or maybe it will come in mail: the ever so precious, beautiful piece of paper, smelling of dust and old memories...
I'm a freak when it comes to this.

You are going to need it when you utterly ruin it carrying all those heavy-ass books around.

>Haha for a second I thought someone with an actual scrupulous
Scrupulous is probably not the word I'd use for someone insulting others over something as petty...

>it's just about realizing there is more to literature than genre fiction...

different user here

i always thought books could be split into the categories of:

1. books meant to be interesting and entertain("genre fiction")

2. books meant to push the author's political/philosophical beliefs (all that stuff you read in school)

pretty sure that most people who only read genre fiction are just trying to read a book without needing to learn about nihilism lol

>nobody said the Foundation trilogy

Come on guys.

Actually, I can't think of any games ike it..

Caves of Qud?

I'd be interested in hearing what you've got to say about this one. Closes thing to comfort food I've ever found in book form.

Do not recommend .hack.

>You are going to need it when you utterly ruin it carrying all those heavy-ass books around.
I was just trying to point out that it was funny to use the phrase 'grow a spine' in a post about physical books.

If I had seen someone say Catcher in the Rye I'd say Hotel Dusk.
What about you anons?

Aurora?

You're very misinformed but the way you're posting doesn't really make you come off as someone I could convince of anything.

I will say that the reason more thoughtful people tend to get bored of genre-fiction is because most of the books are written with a genre in mind rather than being completely original works.

While all other literature are about being alive so they're about everything and anything.

You're not going to read any of that tho.

>Black Company
You are my brother from different parents

>With the internet how is it even possible to not find a copy of a book? I've gotten a lot of my copies of books used on amazon for like $1.

the dangers of living on a third world country my friend, even if I were to find the books I want in Amazon the exchange rates inflate the price 3 times and that's without extra fees and shipping. finding it here is the best(cheapest) way of getting books, because the books I want are english-only finding them here is almost impossible as there's no demand

finding books is indeed fun if only there was more than one used-books shop here, most of the time I have to do with going to mall libraries or shops and hope they sell something that's not a terrible movie or fucking Gabriel Garcia Marquez

hmmm that'd be a tough book to give recommendations to, i haven't played many really boring games with really unlikeable protagonists

Pathologic

No Man's Sky

since you clearly have only read a couple books, might as well assume it's the same with games

Black Company is probably the most entertaining fantasy out there in my opinion.

Soulcatcher was the best bit though, if you ask me.

youtube.com/watch?v=jg4OCeSTL08

Never read it, only Zelazny I know is Lord of Light and Amber, both of which are fantastic.

dragon age

not sure what all those assumptions are all about but i'm just gonna ignore those and ask:

wouldn't a book that isn't written with a particular genre in mind simply fall into whichever genres are relevant anyway? how would that be different?

Xenoblade Chronicles X.

this
in my case is just bad luck when having to read something that's not genre-fiction, they are all terrible incredibly boring books that I had to finish to tell the teacher how much I hated the book but how informative it was about how much the life in the 1800's sucked and that my opinion on them was irrelevant as they were still considered classics by the mainstream

>2. books meant to push the author's political/philosophical beliefs (all that stuff you read in school)
Well, it's almost as it works:
Genre fiction is literature that is created for the purpose of satisfying expectations of readers that are usually dictated and associated with particular genre.
The theory is that people enjoy certain genres because they associate them with certain elements they like, and genre fiction is literature written simply to meet those particular expectations.
So, it is, basically, genre fiction does exist for the purpose of being entertained.

I would however take a serious issue with the assumption that classical fiction, the other category (sometime rather insufferably called "literature"), exists for the purpose of pushing political or philosophical beliefs. Books that push authors philosohical and political beliefs exist, but honestly, if they are open about it, we call those "propaganda". Not classical fiction. And they are not good, as a general rule of thumb.

Most classical fiction is, to say it in an incredibly pretentious way: commentary or observation on the nature of human experience. Basically: It's a collection of experiences that people had, albeit often told in ways that are not quite as direct as one would think. It's not about pushing any agenda's, it does not have to be about philosophy. It can also simply be about humans: about say: sorrow. Or math. Or love for little girls.

Simply put: classical fiction should (and mostly does) tell people shit about themselves, about human life, about the huge library of thoughts and experiences that might be one day of use to you.

You'd dig it. It's told from the perspective of Jack the Ripper's dog as a bunch of literary archetypes converge on a sacred spot to vie for eldritch power.

>Metro and Stalker series.
Nice one.

Wow that looks so epic, I'm glad they gave us mechs to ruin that though and let us wait on cooldowns for the rest of the game.

God bless you. Seriously, people who know Borges AND know Pathologic AND figured out the two are related are good people in my book.

Luckily, old ass town in old ass part of Europe with cheap ass people looking for ways to save every possible penny means a LOT of antique book shops for me...
Seriously, there like several hundreds of them in my town.

That art direction is fucking abysmal.

I don't doubt, hunt them for me user

I'll stay here and download everything from MEGA

Very nice, user. Very modern intellectual.

Mind if I steal this?

Fuck that thing. Fuck that scary shit.

Snake.

>wouldn't a book that isn't written with a particular genre in mind simply fall into whichever genres are relevant anyway?
See It's not so much about falling into genre, as it is about the ambition the book has beyond being simply a part of the genre.

Even classical fiction is divided into genres, but the assumption is that those genres aren't very important. They are just for orientation.

In genre fiction, the genre is also pretty much the entire content and point of the book.
At least that is the simplified theory.
It's always worth realizing that the very difference between genre and classic fiction is largely orientational and very fuzzy: it's not a clear cut line. It's useful, at least at times, but you can't take it too seriously and cling to it.

Sure, go ahead.

Sim City 2000

Have you tried Malazan book of the fallen

that multiplayer game mode where the one player set up a dungeon/fort full of traps and creatures and the other player had to attack it

borderlands 2

now that I think about it there has been only one case of me looking for a book and actually finding it, it took 3 months but it was worth it, even if my copy had a chopped corner in the cover

VtmB?

>He actually uses skells for combat
lmao what a fucking pleb

Ha. Last time I was looking for a book (It was The Meek One by Dostojevski, I think his best work ever), I ended up coming home with ten other books that I came across going through the shop and realized I also wanted it.
I'm NOT looking forward to the next time I'll have to move though.

I also ended up not reading most of those anyway - not yet. But I'll get around them, I promise!

My best catch of all time, so far, was Zamyatin's "Us". The grandfather of all anti-utopia literature. That bitch was almost impossible to get a hold of here.
I was actually kinda disturbed when I found out that 1984 is basically just expanded commentary / updated version of that fucking book.
Seriously, virtually no idea in 1984 is actually Orwell's. He ripped it all wholesome.

>he actually grinds away hours of his life to use ground combat

lmao what a fucking neet

Far Cry games, Pyro from TF2, Alien: isolation.

Not yet but my buddy has been begging me for years to start it.

The Count of Monte Cristo

Games in historical time periods where, people betray me and I can get my revenge in creative ways?

Hard mode: no jap VN

Lord of the Rings is also not high fantasy because it takes place on Earth. Arda is just Earth, Middle Earth is Europe, and the entire Legendarium is an alternate earth history.

I should try ES now that you mention it. Thanks user.

literally assassins creed 2.

Dishonored

Don't know if I buy that. What would Aman/Undying Lands equate to in that formulation?

>I would however take a serious issue with the assumption that classical fiction, the other category (sometime rather insufferably called "literature"), exists for the purpose of pushing political or philosophical beliefs. Books that push authors philosohical and political beliefs exist, but honestly, if they are open about it, we call those "propaganda". Not classical fiction. And they are not good, as a general rule of thumb.

hmm interesting, but where does that line get drawn,

do the works of george orwell, say animal farm and 1984 count as propaganda? i wouldn't say either are bad but they clearly seem to be against a certain type of government that orwell himself grew to dislike

an obscure book i had to read in college is called the stranger by albert camus, that whole book doesn't really make sense, as if it was written for his philosophy (absurdism/ existentialism) before it was written to make sense (the main character comes off as a mad man, which didn't seem to be the point of the book)

does atlas shrugged by ayn rand count as propaganda? i'd say probably, and i've heard it isn't good either

i wouldn't write off all dystopian novels as being propaganda or anything like that, but i'd definitely say that most of them are about pushing political beliefs, it's just that the good ones tell a good story at the same time and the bad ones don't.

it's books like those i had in mind when i mentioned those "two categories"

unrelated: does LoTR count as classical fiction or genre fiction? it's old enough to be classical right?

lol

but the geography of middle earth looks nothing like our earth.

it's more like a theoretical earth that looks completely different.

if theres wizards, magic and goblins then its high fantasy my man

You do know that the sub genres arent defined literally by whether they take place on earth right?

>High fantasy is defined as fantasy set in an alternative, fictional ("secondary") world, rather than "the real", or "primary" world. The secondary world is usually internally consistent, but its rules differ from those of the primary world. By contrast, low fantasy is characterized by being set in the primary, or "real" world, or a rational and familiar fictional world, with the inclusion of magical elements

>read that book in 12th grade but it was renamed And Then There Were None
Pretty good book. A bit short.

>the teacher read it outloud, but I snuck a copy home and finished it in a night
>it took like 2 weeks going at her pace.
God that class was so shit. It took for fucking ever to finish Lord of the Flies too because no one wanted to read by themselves except for me.

Playing Umineko made me want to read some mystery novels, should I just grab every Agatha Cristie book I can find or is there some better stuff?

>the teacher read the whole thing out loud
>in 12th grade
Jesus Christ.

>hmm interesting, but where does that line get drawn,
Where ever a bunch of old man with diplomas will decide to draw it, usually. That is the sad but inevitable nature of any social or liberal academic endeavor.
However:
>i wouldn't say either are bad but they clearly seem to be against a certain type of government
They are not. I don't think you really realize this, but not only was Orwell NOT anti-communist - he WAS a communist at certain point, and remained seriously left-wing oriented author for his entire life.
Animal Farm is against totalitarianism, which is to say against stupidity and greed: which are humanly universal vices. It's not against a specific type of government, it's about what happens if people don't keep their governments in check and don't question them.

>an obscure book i had to read in college is called the stranger by albert camus
Stranger? Obscure? I assume that is a joke... Stranger is a philosophical book. It's one of the two most famous existentialist novels. But again it's not about pushing it on anyone. It's about saying "this is how I can't stop seeing the world." He never claims that he is right, or that is how the world really is. He just points the reader to the possibility of the experience and says: Well, I've lived through this, and for me, it has some implications.

>does atlas shrugged by ayn rand count as propaganda?
I'd definitely not consider it a classical fiction. I'd even be inclined to call it "propaganda". Or at least just pretty bad literature. Of course, objectivits would disagree, but objectivists can go suck a cock.

>i wouldn't write off all dystopian novels
Good distopian novels are rarely proganda, and rarely pushing political beliefs either. They call for people being critical of political beliefs, not push some other beliefs instead of them.

I'll get to Tolkien in a second.

Were you in a school for the mentally disadvantaged?

That's cute, I've read lots of books actually but I really enjoyed the Kingkiller Chronicle. I'm sorry if you don't like someone's subjective taste in books, it's fine if you think it's shit but I enjoyed it so just move on.

As for games, I've played hundreds as well. I'm glad you make a habit out of assuming things about strangers on the internet based on subjective tastes, guess that makes you a faggot.

Well it was a public school.

>unrelated: does LoTR count as classical fiction or genre fiction? it's old enough to be classical right?
Age does not matter in the slightest. Or more precisely: people tend to be weary of judging books too soon after their release, because it's difficult to be objective of them, but generally speaking there is absolutely no condition saying that "classic fiction" has to be old - or even older than X.

That said, Tolkien's work has always been a massive spot of arguments. Personally, I'd count him as a classic of classics, and most of the literary critics and philosophers and teachers I've met agreed. In my country he was actually always fairly highly regarded.

But... at least until recently, a lot of intelectuals dismissed the notion that his work is "classical fiction." I genuinely believe I could win an argument against those people, but academia can be pretty slow and inflexible and frankly, stupidly stubborn at times.

But I believe that both Hobbit and LOTR fully deserve to be considered classical fiction.

>implying you know what subjective means

Read the Robots books and Currents of Space, all from Asimov, they're great detective novels.

I'll be fucking amazed if someone can recommend me a non-nip game

>Acting like what you say is objective

How arrogant can you get? And for the record I did use the word subjective correctly, stay mad if you don't like it.

Anything like this? Alien: Isolation comes to mind, but its a bit 2 horror no?

SS2 is perharps too focused on combat, but the villain fits

Megaman

It seems like you're just going easier on the beliefs you agree with. Is "people should keep their governments in check" not a political position?

>implying definitions mean anything
>implying you don't also show people the dictionary definition of feminism

pol.wad

bully kindof

Elaborate
Why Megaman?
Im curious

There is a pretty good modpack for Orbiter that adds in a bunch of flyable ships and scenarios from the movie and books.

There are literally 0 good detective games

I'll get on that, thanks user

alright thanks, i think i'm getting a good grip on this. so it's only propaganda if the point of the book completely to push a specific author agenda, like atlas shrugged and its objectivism.

hmmm... in that case, the only propaganda i can think of that i've ever read would be the jungle, which apparently was written to be socialism propaganda but interpreted as a call to reform the meat industry

maybe fahrenheit 451 counts because i've heard that the author meant it to be "newer media will replace books and that'll ruin the world" as opposed to everyone interpreting it as an anti-censorship message.

huh, guess the only propaganda i've ever read was good then.

i would be inclined to agree, especially considering that LoTR probably invented a lot of the things now considered genre conventions

NOT TODAY FBI

>Implying definition means anything

Holy shit, I didn't realize there existed people in the world who just choose not to accept what a word means, and has meant for hundreds/thousands of years.

Incredible, it's like cooking a pizza in the oven at incredibly high temperatures and telling someone it's cold. That's not how words/definitions work in reality/society user, I'm sorry if you don't like the textbook definition of words but that's just how it is. Unless you'd like to just make up a new word that fits your definition of subjective, but subjective is subjective and it has a concrete definition that can be interpreted in different ways I suppose, but at the end of the day it has one overall/general meaning because that's the meaning humans assigned it.

You're literally claiming you don't believe what a word means because it goes against what you believe, that's probably some grandmaster level autism. So do you not think water is wet? Is water actually dry to you user? Is ice cream hot instead of cold to you?

Not the guy you were replying to... If you were trying to look like a complete fool then mission accomplished.

>Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective isn't good
>Hotel Dusk isn't good
kys pham

>all of Cred Forums is still in high school

I knew it

>Is "people should keep their governments in check" not a political position?
No. That is about as political as "you should not eat arsenic". It's a common sense, a survivalist instinct. Any political system and any ideology can grow cancerous and devastating if not kept in check. That is the message, although of course, Orwell inspired himself in what he was most familiar with: Zamyatin's "Us", which was written in the context of the grand Bolshevik revolution (although Zamyatin himself was NOT criticizing communism either) and the Stalinist Purges which were happening at the time.

But his point was not "don't trust the communists". His point was: don't trust anyone too much. And that is not a political statement. That is not being an idiot.

My friend said LoTR was Tolkien's attempt to give the brits their own mythology. As in something other than the Catholic church I guess.

Does that sound about right or was he talking out his ass? I've never read them myself.

>implying I read any of that

cyperbunk 2073

just wait on it brother

also heavy rain

Also, there are these if you prefer a more grounded approach instead of Sci-fi.

i meant good as in quality of book, not good as in agreeing with the intended message, just to make that clear.

Tolkien was south-african, so by definition, it can't be.

But maybe, his Legendarium WAS pretty extense by any regular means, so it could be argued in favor of that.

>maybe fahrenheit 451 counts because i've heard that the author meant it to be "newer media will replace books and that'll ruin the world"
I'd still argue that Farenheit is still THE most accurate and most relevant distopian book I've ever read. I know what Bradbury claimed he meant, and I don't care, and Bradbury did not care either, really. He openly talked about how your actual consciousness and intentions are irrelevant to the thing you are writing, and how he always found that his works were ultimately about something entirely different from what he was thinking (and intending) to write.

Farenheit is actually very explicit. It's against: and this is fucking hillarious: Political correctness SPECIFICALLY. That is what the whole fucking book is about, what he is really warning about.

Yes, his original motivation was being sick of TV. That was the sort of initial sentiment. But in the end, the book is really about something else, it's incredibly clever.

Mind describing that game for me user? Never heard of it.

If its like Elite Dangerous say no more, illget it right now

Hey I'm not the guy that just basically claimed that our entire English language/dictionary and word system is retarded and makes no sense, that's like mental retardation status.

Of course you didn't, because you know you're wrong and are choosing not to give a proper rebuttal. It's alright user, I know you won't admit that you're retarded and wrong, and that I was right but feel free to act like what you said was correct, even though it wasn't.

When people play the whole "Oh I didn't read that because it's too long lololo XDXDXD" argument that is really just them saying, "Oh I can't understand that because it's too complex for my small brain." or "Oh he wrote a lot so he's clearly mad at I'm winning because I'm an epic troll XDXDXD"

Either way it's a loser's argument, if you're going to actually argue/debate someone on the internet you should at least try to learn how to properly argue/debate. Right now you're basically choosing not to give a rebuttal because you have none, or you can't provide one that counters my argument so in reality I won regardless. Also I just would like to point out that my last statement wasn't even that long, if it bothered you to read that tiny little paragraph then you must have the reading skills of a toddler, which is ironic because this thread is about people who read books.

>implying I'm reading any of that either

the original dune game is comfy as fuck if you like point and click type games.

>just checked on this because I'd never heard it before

They moved to England when he was three, so the guy lived and breathed England for his entire memorable life.

>Does that sound about right or was he talking out his ass?
That sounds about right. Although... I think it was a little different. I don't think he was particularly driven by the ambition to get BRITS their own mythology, I think he wanted to revive the whole ART of mythology as a narrative medium.
He wanted to translate the stories that exist in myths and that are incredibly valuable, but most people can't read them (literally, we just don't understand, we don't speak the right "language", the right symbolisms).
Tolkien was aware of that, and was one of the few people who could still read old grand myths. So... he started to "translate" them into a language that was more comprehensible.

I don't think he was driven by nationalism: I think he was driven by sorrow that the beauty of the grand myths and our ability to understand them (and much less, write them) was fading.

But that is largely my own interpretation of the thing.

>Tolkien was south-african, so by definition, it can't be.
No, he was British. He was born in South America, but to British parents, given British nationality, and moved to UK very shortly after.

More importantly, he had British nationality on his birth certificate, because both of his parents were British citizens at the time. South Africa was just a place his parents were temporarily living in.

Plz help

SLITHER.IO

Orbiter is a hardcore space flight sim.
It's old, has a steep learning curve, and is pretty barebones without mods. It's also free.

There are better and more modern space games out there, but it was the first thing to pop into my mind since I remember playing around with the "World of 2001" modpack a while ago.

heavy rain is shit and barely a detective game at all

It's derivative fantasy. Art requires creativity.

>I'm just going to keep telling him I'm not reading his posts in hopes he gets upset because he wasted all his time typing it out.

Whether you're reading it or not doesn't matter at this point, anyway here. I'm going to wrote a tiny few sentences, I know how uncomfortable large paragraphs make you feel.

That sounds pretty neato. If I can't stand fantasy as a genre do you think I'd still get anything out of reading them? Also I'd have to read the Hobbit first right?

>wrote

Hence my second statement. I dunno, maybe it won't matter much at the end if he lived 95% of his life in Bongland, was just thinking that being born in that country was an obligatory(albeit arbitrary) rule to affect that country's culture.

I'm convinced I'm the only person who's ever read this book.

Alright, cheers user. I'll look into it

Not that guy, but think of it this way

>The Silmarillion
>Children of Hurin
>The Hobbit
>The Lord of the Rings

All of them, read in that order(or not, I'm not sure if starting with The Silmarillion would be a good idea), tell the story of a world and it's primary characters, but on their own, they can still be read and enjoyed, with only references(about 5% of the content) flying over your head.

But yeah, you can start with The Hobbit, it's the easiest read of them all.

Prototype

I thought you weren't reading my posts? Guess you were, faggot.

you are a real piece of shit for not supporting the authors. these people barely make any money unless their book gets made into a movie or show.

The first half of this book was amazing.

The second half was rushed shit.

How do you rush the first book in a series? Nobody is egging you on for publication dates.

I was asking if I HAVE to read the Hobbit. I'd rather skip it.

No Mother 3

fallen london or sunless sea

Not him, but I mainly use mine for old books.

New books are either hard to find or mainstream drivel.

I guess he doesn't like that the pace picked up towards the climax?

It's not like it matters, Messiah is the best in the series anyways.

>It's derivative fantasy.
Except fantasy pretty much did not exist as a genre prior to Tolkien.

>If I can't stand fantasy as a genre do you think I'd still get anything out of reading them?
Depends on what your issue with Fantasy is. It's really difficult for me to imagine myself in your position, because I was raised with Tolkien and it was my first introduction to "fantasy". Ironically, I don't like traditional fantasy today, but I still love Tolkien. But it also might be just because of all the memories and stuff, hard to say if I could enjoy it with how sick I grew of the aesthetics it spawned these days...

I still think both Hobbit and LOTR are just beautiful books and beautiful stories. Hobbit in particular, I actually think it's the better of the two, "purer" so to speak. It really depends on how much you can "dissassociate" the text from the fantasy stereotypes you no doubt are sick off.
I think that when Tolkien uses elves, dwarves and dragons, he actually MEANS something by it. It's not just a trope, it's a beautiful archetype. But that archetype has since been so dilluted, so cheapened became so commonplace that you might find it difficult see what made it so appealing in the first place.

Also, a lot of people complain about him being too dry and too descriptive and slow-paced. I don't agree, I think his language is beautiful (his works were one of the first books I've read entirely in english, not a native speaker), but I'm used to pretty slow and demanding literature.

I'd give Hobbit a try first, see if you can get over your dislike for the genre. Try forgetting everything you know about fantasy, if that is possible. And you might find it beautiful.

Well it certainly felt that way. It felt like he lost interest in the story halfway through and just wanted to get the rest of it over with.

He couldn't even write a proper ending, he just decided to stop writing right after the climax.

Why you even askin bruh? If you haven't already definitely check out Deus Ex!

Well alright. I'll give The Hobbit a try sometime with all that in mind. Your answer was about the same as when I asked my friend tho. "Oh I love it but it's been forever so I have no idea if I'd still like it"

it's a really short book you might as well go for it, I have been wanting to read The Silmarillion but I'd heard is really hard/boring to read as it feels like a history book

you know... you're actually right. the only other dystopian stuff i can think of that would be relevant to today would be anything focusing on government surveillance (the show person of interest had a government surveillance AI take over the world for like 2-3 seasons, can't think of any books where stuff like that happens)

but burning problematic books seems right up the alley of some of the more radical SJWs

It would actually be a really cool setting for a game.

>can't think of any books where stuff like that happens
Aren't they constantly under surveillance in 1984?

"pizza? cool!"

>"no, it's hot"

>"Oh I love it but it's been forever so I have no idea if I'd still like it"
I've read him recently. I know that I still love him, in fact I think I appreciate him more than ever nowdays, when I have some new outlooks on mythology and psychology and narratology. I just don't know if you will enjoy it, simply because people who dislike fantasy USUALLY have a problem with a very specific type of aesthetics, which are rooted in Tolkien. And no matter how sophisticated he was (compared to most modern fantasy), if you are allergic to that kind of stuff, you might not like it after all.

>but burning problematic books seems right up the alley of some of the more radical SJWs
Bradbury DIRECTLY states that the book burning (which by the way is not really about burning BOOKS, it's about burning STORIES, because while books are the most obvious physical manifestion of those (or were, to Bradbury at the time), the same fate fell onto screenplays, and old movies, and everything else. It's the content of those old stories that were burned...) began when some people began to demand censorship of things that offended them.
It's the inability to bear and deal with the things those books said, the decision to destroy what could cause us discomfort, anxiety, (what we call "triggering" today) that led to the decision to ban classic culture and classic stories all together, in favor of perfectly inoffensive, sterile, correct and unchallenging pop-culture.

The thing that Bradbury really warns about us is our decision to be responsible for our own feelings anymore. To delegate that reponsibility away.
And in light of the modern left wing ideologies, that is an INSANELY accurate prediction. Fifty years ahead of time, Bradbury warns us about being over-sensitive and refusing to take responsibility over our negative emotions. It's crazy. I'm pretty sure he never really intended to say that either. It just... was somewhere in him.

Alternatively, Wheel of Time

There's a trilogy? I loved Oryx and Crake and never realized it was a series.

League of Legends?

Another big problem I have with starting the Hobbit is that it feels like something I should have already read as a kid since everyone else did. Of course I felt the same way when I read Catcher in the Rye when I was 20/21 and I ended up really enjoying it.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but weren't right-wing Christians burning or banning books for being too offensive back when Bradbury wrote Fahrenheit? I don't like when people look at modern SJWs as something that is totally new and not just a huge irony of which side is doing the banning now.

Persona 4

I hate this fucking cover.

If only.

the savage detectives is better

Mass Effect 2 to some degree.

>Another big problem I have with starting the Hobbit is that it feels like something I should have already read as a kid since everyone else did.
Forget that. That is a silly reasoning. Seriously, that is really a silly and pointless reason why to avoid reading a book.

>Also correct me if I'm wrong but weren't right-wing Christians burning or banning books for being too offensive back when Bradbury wrote Fahrenheit?
It's possible that was happening, but I don't know about it, and I'm very sure he never explicitly mentioned that as relevant to him, or influencing him.
Actually, there is a (very) vaguely pro-christian sentiment in the book: Bible is one of the many, many books that the Firemen in Farenheit destroyed. The world is absolutely religion-less. The fact that all Bibles were burned is actually vaguely lamented at some point. Alongside of Shakespear and others...

As far as I know, the idea of burning books came to him when he used to go to library to work (he had to "escape" his home because his children were distracting him, so he would "rent" a typewriter in a library and write his stories there). Since that costed money and he was dirt poor at the time, he was forced to write REALLY fast. In breaks between those "writing marathons", he would wonder along the library and just ponder what books mean to him, to us, to people. And came to the conclusion that they are a constant, endless intellectual challenge to us.
And then he wondered what would happen if we just gave all that up, or somebody took it away. And that is how the idea of burning books and stories all together was born. Though he would finish it only many years later...

Red Dead, Gun, Call of Juarez need not apply.

Sorry for the not-a-game recommendation, but you know Evangelion was based on that book, right? That and Crichton's "Spehere".

Also: Bioshock 2. Because it rips off Evangelion which ripped this thing off.

Loved that movie, Sphere, can't see the relation between them. Is the book different?

Is it any good?

How is The Dark Tower? I've never read King but I heard he considers it his magnum opus, and a Professor I had told me he's the greatest American writer of our age (whether this is true or not I can't really say). But I've been like vaguely interested in TDK.

I'd say Duke3D as well
youtu.be/RxdUFOKG3r4?t=24m45s

>Forget that. That is a silly reasoning. Seriously, that is really a silly and pointless reason why to avoid reading a book.
Oh yeah you say that like I'm not already aware of how silly it is. There's just too many books and too little time.

And I said "religious right" but that's being reductive. It's more like the standard morals in culture at the time made books like Tropic of Cancer and Ulysses get banned in the US. I just know religious people burning books they don't like is the most classic meme.

Also I've been meaning to reread Fahrenheit and you're really making me want to get on that.

>and a Professor I had told me he's the greatest American writer of our age
What was he a professor of? Bad taste??

The first three books are excellent in my opinion. First one is defiantly my favorite the opening sentence really sets the mood for the whole book.
I'd defiantly consider it his magnum opus, probably the best series he has. Not sure if I'd say he's the greatest American writer of all time but he's surely one of the best.

I'd say give the first book a try at the very least, you can probably get one used for cheap.

Please help.

I found this book pretty interesting up until it caught up with the prologue

then I lost all interest immediately

College Writing 2, but he was a sweet old man who always talked about his late wife.

Valkyria Chronicles. You're not a frontline fighter, your waifu is the best unit in the game, there's a decent not overworked romance.

I'd say Day Z or some other survival crafting meme game

This or Solaris

Way of Kings

Hey man someday we'll all be sweet old men talking about our wives I hope.

The quality kind of drops off towards the end imo, but the first few books are pretty good, worth reading.

Well, yeah, it's my favourite book.

It's about a German man named Johannes Cabal who sells his soul to Satan for the power of necromancer, but he quickly finds out that the void that the lack of a soul creates really messes with the outcome of magic, so all his experiments are always inconsistent. He goes back to Satan and tells him he wants both his soul and necromancy. Obviously, Satan won't let that by without a bit of a wager, so Johannes makes a deal with Satan that he can get 100 people within a year to willingly sign their souls over. The only catch is that Johannes has to do that while also running a traveling carnival.

It's a great book and Johannes is a character I never get tired of reading about. It does everything right, humour, suspense, action, sadness. To date it's the only book to make me cry. I'd highly recommend it.

Hotline Miami?

and their transition.

Not my favorite, but I just finished reading the trilogy so it's fresh in my mind

eve online.

There is a rumor that Dune will be the next big thing on HBO when game of thrones is over.

pic unrelated

I'd recommend any PS3 game.

>Loved that movie, Sphere, can't see the relation between them. Is the book different?
The book is about hundred times better, but IN GENERAL it's about the same thing. I may have missformulated though: Childhood's End and The Sphere were two books that inspired Evangelion, not that Sphere was inspired by Childhood's End. The two books have little in common, as far as I can say: but each features one (different) theme that combined basically define the main theme of Evangelion:
The idea that humanity may one physically overcome individuality and evolve to a state of shared consciousness (Childhood's End) and the idea that if your subconsciousness could literary shape the reality, we would all end up killing ourselves, because we are deep down all unhappy and essentially suicidal (Sphere). Combine the two themes, and you have Evangelion...

>And I said "religious right" but that's being reductive.
My point was that I don't think Bradbury was thinking of things like religion book burning. Or Nazi book burning, which he was also familiar with.
Burning books because you are a religious nut means silencing your opposition. It's a top-down act of censorship. Christians would not burn Bibles, they burn only those books that contradict Bible.
But in Fahrenheit, I think the idea is different: I think it's not about some authority (governenment, ideology, religion) silencing opposition: it's about people themselves just not wanting to think anymore. At all. It's about conscious choice to be lazy, not about denial of specific type of information.

That is why I don't think religious book-burning were much of an influence. I mean I'm sure Bradbury despised those acts, but I think it was not what he was worried about, and what he wanted to warn about.
Although: my interpretation. I mean, I think I could find solid evidence for that in the book, but take it with a grain of salt, anyway.

the dark tower is the same king schlock he's been turning out for ages, DT is a completely entry level attempt at a sprawling fantasy setting over multiple books that completely misses everything good about multi-volume fantasy works

the characters aren't particularly engaging, there's no real way to empathize with them. the plot is entirely too simple, the story has no layers, no meat to it like other multi-volume series do. the setting is too bleak to care about what happens to the characters, it's likely to wear you out after the second book. the dark tower is less well crafted than the Harry Potter books, and those aren't considered anywhere near high art.

good taste user. Wish I could find a non-ebook version in my country.

The 1st book is really good. You can ignore the remaining 6 and miss nothing of value.

Ever heard of Master and Margarita by Bulghakov?
I suspect you might enjoy it.

just in case anybody didn't already know, Dune is a fucking terrible book for retard autist manchild neckbeards with zero fucking taste that probably think shit like Daredevil is a good tv show

Well, at least Cred Forums reads. One small step for manchild, one giant leap for Cred Forums-kind.

Love this series but I have to say Stormlight archives is better.

Path of Exile has a similar feel to Mistborn, and thaumuturgy as the basics of magic/gemstones corresponds really well to mistborn's metallurgy based magic.

What is the allure of long-running fantasy series? Is it the character, the world, the magic? I've never really read one myself.

>tfw want to read books but my eyes start getting shifty even tho I have perfect 20 20 vision

I-iIts the lighting I swear

No, but I'll look into it. Thanks.

fug, forgot the pic

VC is a generic anime hidden behind a good artstyle and setting.

I didn't read at all because my eyes went all shifty too. It got better when I started reading on my way to work, standing up kind of forces you to stay alert so your eyes focus more or something.

Now I'm reading 20+ books a year, which isn't a lot but a lot more than I used to.

The Last of Us

>Roadside Picnic
>just recommend STALKER.

I feel like this can be achieved with a mod for STALKER or maybe ArmA. Like some combination of DayZ, Wasteland, and ArmA Life.

Holy shit, that's pretty neat. You inspire me.

I'm thinking of planning out this marathon/binge thing I want to do, which is to read up many books/visual novels that I have, for like 4 months straight. One week I'll finish a book, then a visual novel, then a book, etc.

It was pretty good.

Nah I hear what you're trying to say. I just wanted to clarify that I'm aware books were being banned for general morals rather than just religion. I'll have to actually read Farhenheit again if I want to understand what Bradbury had to say.

Also have you read Gravity's Rainbow? I just started it but I remember hearing forever ago that there were things in GR that Eva just had to of gotten out of the book. Like the Cities that would shift underground and stuff like that.

I've just never thought of Anno as a guy who read a lot because I know Eva takes inspiration from so many TV shows already. Not that other guy btw.

Well I've read all three books and own the relatively new fourth.

I like the politics; you can't just build a world, it has to feel lived-in and a big part of that is having factions, and how the interactions between the factions create conflict. having a few interesting characters you can grow to care about in one or more factions and have hope that they may eventually overcome their struggles is the bread and butter of a good long running fantasy series. they need to feel like real people and make decisions that make sense, not only in their world but as people in general. then there's a well fleshed out system of magic [or technology as sci-fi can be good or bad for the same reasons], toss in some lore on it and it's all great.

Muh thumbnail.

Give me some scary elves anons

>tfw you want to write Fantasy but don't know if anyone will like your books

How do you have more faith in your own writing? Every time I go back I hate my material.

meme book

Run D&D games, and do web novels. You can also barf out literature on contract for a penny a word.

Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

It's a classic of American literature. I'd expect such disrespect of Fitzgerald from a vapid marijuana user, not a distinguished poster of Cred Forums.

Oh, nevermind

It's all either "classics", fantasy or sci-fi

The game was really fun but I was really disappointed by the plot and the overall writing.
Still enjoyed it though.

>Cred Forums poster
>distinguished
Pick one

>I'll be fucking amazed if someone can recommend me a non-nip game
It was a tough one, but I have it.
It's (ironically) the Blade Runner adventure game.
You can quite literally fall into love with a replicant girl who is like 12.

>Also have you read Gravity's Rainbow?
I didn't, though I've heard about it. Adding to list of things I need to check out. Anno reads a LOT, actually. He is with books like Kojima is with movies, I think. Lately, some of his references were pretty weird, too. If you've seen the last but one Evangelion rebirth movie, you may remember that sequence where they go to the "sea world" and go through this whole weird decontamination process...
Well, that whole scene is just 15 minutes of homage to Andromeda Strain by Crichton: the very same that wrote Sphere.
I actually suspected he did that because he really wanted to pay homage to Sphere, but did not want to make it all that obvious, so he eventually decided to pay homage to a different book by the same author...
Eva is smart, by the way. Annoying, and imperfect and full of things that frustrate the fuck out of me because they are so silly and poorly done, but there is some really smart shit there.

I play D&D and have run a few small campaigns. It's why I've wanted to get into writing Fantasy. I have a world and characters and everything, I just don't like my writing. I also don't know how to give the world gods without them coming down eventually. It just seems like an inevitability.

>web novels
Never heard of those. What are they?

Did you expect anything else really?

I'm guilty as well, of the books I read this year only 4 weren't fiction (literary theory and philosophy).

Novels, but on the web

I have no mouth and I must scream
I have already played the point and click too so I need something new

Starcontrol 2

Recommend us some /lit/ core

Sim City 4

Well, thanks, but are they like webcomics where it's released by chapter instead of by book?

Civ V

THREADLY REMINDER THAT THE MISTBORN GAME IS CONFIRMED VAPORWARE

Deadly Premonition maybe?

The Darkness

Really? I thought that the politics would have been the least interesting bit. I mean, you can read about those in the real world.

Real life politics are shit and less exciting

he looks like the crazy guy in Bloodborne's dlc

That's really cool to know actually. I've always wanted some kind of confirmation that he does SOMETHING other than watch anime and some movies.

>Eva is smart, by the way. Annoying, and imperfect and full of things that frustrate the fuck out of me because they are so silly and poorly done, but there is some really smart shit there.
I totally agree. It's how I feel about a lot anime and jap vidya that I feel are "actually good". There's a lot you could nitpick and dismiss it with but it's still really good in the end. It's how I feel about Killer 7 or Taro's games.

>all the others grew up with Harry Potter and his friends
>I grew up with Frankenstein's Monster, Quasimodo, Dracula, and various Poe and Lovecraft weirdos

fuck, I was the "loser" and I thought I could relate to Frankenstein's Monster and Quasimodo

Team Fortress 2 (the hat economy part)

>he hasn't played the crime and punishment video game
>he hasn't butchered waves of old ladies as raskolnikov with his coop partner playing rogozhin

How do I git gud at reading? I love reading, but I find that I'm so fucking slow. It can take me a month to finish a 300 page book.

Postal.

Fucking hated that OCD bitch. Every time her character and her retarded thoughts came up I wanted to bash my head against the wall and start counting all knots on my carpets.

If you despise fantasy, and are more interested in Tolkien for the mythology elements that other user mentioned, I would say that skipping the Hobbit would be fine. It is short, but you're unlikely to enjoy it - it's more of a traditional fantasy book. I would recommend The Silmarillion to you first, and then the LOTR trilogy. The Silmarillion is especially interesting if you know some mythology already, because Tolkien was inspired by a lot of different sources. I haven't read The Children of Hurin, so I can't comment on that.

This was a really hilarious exchange desu

don't worry dude once you play 40 hours and get to grand pulse then you start to see that Rask's psychosis stems from his own understanding of criminality

Hunter x Hunter

Yeah, it's usually by chapter.

Russian Roulette solo queue

please show some tolerance.

I saw this at a weird old-things-and-cool-things mart by my parent's house the other week and almost picked it up just to see how awful it would be. Glad I just looked for shitty videos on youtube instead.

So much potential. So much pain

I just realized this book is literally called TRUMP the Art of the Deal and that Trump and the guy who actually wrote it is at the bottom. This guy is such a riot.

>I've always wanted some kind of confirmation that he does SOMETHING other than watch anime and some movies.
He is weirdly educated, really. That guy has read and partially perhaps even understood both Freud and Jung. That alone is not a small feat, as far as I'm concerned. I suspect he must have read quite a lot about gnosticism and the connected central-asian philosophy too. Although all of that may have come from Jung, who was a gnostic freak. He knows a lot about Buddhism as well. And even the research on Abrahamic religion, as pointless to the story it was, was well done.
I don't know (or understand) what he does now. But I think he is that kind of a freak that just occasionally finds something super interesting, and the just binge-researches on it. Same with literature. And then it kinda all mixes in his head: and in case of Eva, at least before Rebirth, actually came out really well. Mostly, that is.

No wonder he tried to kill himself though.

A bad feel indeed, friendo.

I need Perrin's thicc cock in my ass

What are good, light reads for an engineering autist that hasn't read a non-textbook book in 2 years?

user for as much as you imply you read you should know the difference between defiantly and definitely
you stupid fuck

Why? I'm a Johnson supporter. No one has sympathy or tolerance for me.

seconding this

Christiana of various stripes do have a lengthy history of burning books, but I don't believe there were any major incidents of Christians burning books around the time he wrote Fahrenheit 451. Book-burning may have been a bit of a hot-button issue then, though, because burning books was a tactic used both by the Nazis and, immediately after the war, against remaining Nazi sympathizers.

>I would say that skipping the Hobbit would be fine. It is short, but you're unlikely to enjoy it - it's more of a traditional fantasy book.
The other guy here: I actually really disagree. I think that if anything, LOTR is more traditional fantasy, while Hobbit is really the more archetypal myth deal: even if the language does not seem like it.
Silmarilion is a though sell, honestly, because I think it has the problem of actually partially adopting the mythological language of symbols that make real mythology so difficult to read. Basically, if you can read Silmarilion, you might as well be reading Edda or something...

Calm down Faile

Nice talking with you guys. Glad a lot of you have such great taste. It restores a bit of my hope in this board.

RIP thread

10/10 bait

>No wonder he tried to kill himself though.
From what I keep hearing he has the worst case of self-doubt I've ever heard of. Most of my friends who like Eva have completely given up on him after the last movie plus him taking so long to make the next one.

I still have a slim sliver of hope he'll find some magical inspiration that will save the entire project and then he can move the fuck on after having dug himself in this Rebuild hole for so many years.

Of course that's assuming he doesn't go the DFW route and end up actually killing himself while trying to surpass himself.

what's aleppo?

I'm not in on the /lit/ memes. What's wrong with Ayn Rand?

I'm not defending her, I just know a lot of people hate her writing, so I'm curious.

It's not a /lit/ meme. That means that you can just google why people hate her. It's not really a secret.

I think he is WAAAY over his suicidal stage. I don't think he even understands why he made Evangelion in the first place. Nowdays, he is a celebrity, a cultural asset and a allowed to do basically whatever he wants - he fucking won at life. Which might explain why he can't make Evanglion anymore: not really in that state of mind, I guess.

Nowdays he is voicing characters for Miyazaki and making the next Godzilla. Though I guess his problems will never go entirely away, I would not worry about him too much. I worry that as he is becoming more happy with his life, his work is starting to suck.

I don't think anyone gives a shit about you

That's interesting. I've been enjoying reading your posts so far, so I'd be interested in seeing your reasoning for saying the The Hobbit is more of an archetypal myth than LOTR.

well for one she always detested wellfare and people on it even though she relied on it for a while

Big reader here, ever since I was a kid. I'm 36 now. I was always against e-readers, because, as others here have stated, the weight, the flipping through pages, the texture, the smell, the aging of the books, the display... all are part of the experience.

Then my friends got me a Kindle for my birthday. I was poor at the time, jobless, so I pirated a shit-ton of books. Long story short: I used my Kindle so much I burnt it out after a few years, didn't connect to wifi, couldn't wipe it, etc. By then I had a decent paying job and got a replacement, and I buy all my books now rather than pirate them. I never looked back at paperbacks again. I think that the ease of pirating them at the beginning is what eased me into e-readers. Now I think about all the space I save in my room, the less I have to move if/when I move(d), the integrated dictionary, the ability to highlight, the soft/adjustable backlight (I have a Paperwhite now), not having to use a lamp to read by... It's just far more convenient.

Honestly curious. Do your best.

I have never heard a good thing about that book or anyone say they liked it There are plenty of reasons people don't like her and her writing. I don't really care to read them tho.

Same here, I'm really fucking slow and it annoys the shit out of me.

>want to start writing
>get discouraged because I think my writing is shit
>see all the shit books on shelves
>feel like I have a shot

I'm a slow reader too. Always have been. I'm this guy Don't fight it. Slow reading probably means you have a voice in your head narrating it. That is who you are. You don't want to disrupt the lilt, the music, of the text in your head. If that is how you interpret it, that pace, then that is how you enjoy it best. There's tons of books I want to read, but if you force yourselves to read faster then you may not absorb it as well as you normally could.

I feel like that might be a bit of a cliche. I'm aware the guy has become a living meme at this point but I don't think you can take away that self-doubting sad boy he still seems to be. I sure hope he's happy now tho. I was really pleased to find out he has a qt mangaka wife now.

Also vaguely related I remember Patton Oswalt saying years ago when he first met his wife and fell in love (the one who died recently) that his comedy career would be over since "no one wants to hear jokes from a happy comedian". But then I thought his special from a few years ago still had some really good bits in it.

I just can't be totally sure what Anno's deal is anymore. Maybe Avant Garde Godzilla will be good at least?

I've never read Atlas Shrugged, so this is just the criticism of it that I have heard, rather than my attempt at criticism.
Her main character is just a mouthpiece for her own ideology who goes largely unchallenged, she has a strange sex scene of questionable consent that snacks of fetishistic self-insertion, the huge speech in the middle is absurdly long (so long that it is not possible to deliver in the 2 hours that the book claims). In short, it's too boring and preachy to be entertaining fiction, and it fails as a philosophical work because it does not address, refute, etc. any of the works that preceded it on similar topics.

Do it. You can only get better if you practice. Read some Gary Provost.

>I'm not defending her, I just know a lot of people hate her writing, so I'm curious.
As a writer, she is incredibly dull and mediocre. Everything in the book is tailored to her didactic messages and there is no passion, no actually interesting characters in it. It's just dead set-up of scene after scene designed eventually leading to confirmation of the main character's "fuck you, got mine" philosophy.

As for her philosophy and why THAT is shit... well that would be for long explanation. But I think the broadest summary is "I didin't understand what Darwin said so I assumed he said "It's OK to be selfish asshole." and that is basically my philosophy. Also Metaphysics are shit because I don't understand what they are."

>The Hobbit is more of an archetypal myth than LOTR.
Because it follows the purest formula of "facing the world" mythological story.
It's a story about setting out to face chaos, win, not get consumed by a vice, get rewarded by a treasure. The most profound (and generic) summary of succesful human existence. It does not have any particularly big subplot and it's not "bogged down" with world-building: it's just a set of archetypes, one after another, each very poignant, but also very clear.

LOTR gets a bit more mushy. There are a little too many side elements that frequently feel like are there just to make the world richer, rather than to make the central message more clear and powerful. Which kinda makes for a richer book, but more dilluted central message. If that makes any sense.
LOTR feels more like speculative fiction (what would world be like if elves, and goblins and dwarves were real), while Hobbit is more of: The world is full of beauty (elves), determination (dwarves), chaos and greed (dragon): and here is what you need to do to not get fucked in the ass by all of that. It's of course a massive simplification, but I felt it kinda works that way.

It's better slow. You need to read slow enough to make up voices for characters and narration in your mind. It makes books more clear and enjoyable. Anyways, the absolute best way to enjoy a book is to find a well acted audio book with no abridgment. That way you can go full imagination mode.