Strictly speaking about narrative and world building, FF IX is the best videogame ever created

Strictly speaking about narrative and world building, FF IX is the best videogame ever created.

[Spoiler]combat isnt that bad imo[/spoiler]

Other urls found in this thread:

m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wJ8pE2qKU
youtu.be/ygsEB1DMAvo
m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWzoXaY108g
youtube.com/watch?v=WQYL2Ny20nk
youtu.be/bahMeycMihw
youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs
youtu.be/Z_OF7xFFaG0?t=44m49s
youtu.be/WpFD6Hcx-Fc?t=10m29s
youtube.com/watch?v=l75zjpDpAWs
youtube.com/watch?v=CqtGBR80NWw
youtube.com/watch?v=RVkcmx2l3WA
youtube.com/watch?v=CzAE8ZuOd3I
neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551612
youtube.com/watch?v=YcqxbY6dn5c
youtube.com/watch?v=ltCbrDWGo68
youtube.com/watch?v=njigWDxaZgU
youtube.com/watch?v=Tog9GjczJVE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Maybe for the first disc.

The games story, characterization and setting become a mess by mid-disc 3. The games so caught up in referencing every other Final Fantasy, from shoehorning in the Fiends to recycling the Moon plot twist from 4 to making the final boss Cloud of Darkness 2.0, that it actively ruins everything good it set up early on. It feels more like a celebration of the series' history than something with its own identity.

It isn't the best FF, still great though.
It does though have be best girl in FF history.

That's not what happens, disc 3 onward you get more freedom to explore the world map. This doesn't do any good to the story because you lose the track of it, you can easily spend 3 hours between every part just catching frogs, digging up or farming whatever. This makes you feel disconnected from the story. I've recently done a pretty fast run taking more focus into the story and it's awesome from start to finish. All of Vivi's dilemmas, the whole point of black mages, its a better piece of philosophy and thought-inducing than most of the shit you have to read in college nowadays.

Name one thing FF9 does better than any other FF.

Ost.

Vivi's character arc is a small part of the game.
It's also the only character arc besides Dagger's that actually stays relevant and coherent through a majority of the game, instead of dropping off early on like Steiner's or flat out not existing like Freya's.

In my opinion, it has the best job distribution for a game where the characters have locked jobs.

>Strictly speaking about narrative and world building, F-
Nope.

>To be forgotten is worse than death
Being Freya is suffering.

I really want to finish ff9 one day (I've only ever made it halfway through the second disc) but I find everything to be so slow and tedious. I also think Zidane has a terrible design, he's like a shitty Locke with a tail. Some of the characters are pretty boss though and the soundtrack is great.

Ur mum

Well you cannot really go into detail for every character since you have a principal romance, all characters stay relevant due to ATEs and small arcs, if you care to see extra content and scenes, you'll be satisfied with the amount of screentime anyone gets.

Also Vivi is no small arc, he is and stays the most relevant character after Zidane/Dagger, you can see his existential crisis evolve during the game, as you can see Steiner slowly changing his beliefs, You get the whole Burmecia/Cleyra arc fot some Freya delight.

What back story do you get on 7 and 8 for characters not named Cloud or Squall? The whole cast is dependant on them and would be brainless chickens without his edgy teen to defend them, only post 7 final fantasy that features characters thinking and making decision by themselves.

7 goes in to Tifa's youth with Cloud, Barret's past with Dyne and Marlene, Red's family situation, Cid's failed space mission, Yuffie's sidequest family deelio, etc

Unlike FF8, the prospect of possibly having to play it again doesn't make me immediately suicidal.

Final Fantasy narratives always fall apart at the end. Gameplay wise the 3rd disc was the best though.

Secrets, treasure, side bosses, plot and fun.

Objectively:

>Ost
>World setting
>Characters
>Story

Subjectively:

>Spell effects (best effects for flare/holy in the series imo, doomsday)
>Minigames, gold saucer is a good contestant but Choco hot and cold and the MASSIVE number of side quest makes it for 9 imo
>Locked job system (this is just my preference) and ability system that insanely rewards exploration.

>What back story do you get on 7 for characters not named Cloud?
Everyone. Tifa's story is tied into Clouds, Barret's and Red's were revisited throughout the game, Cid's plays an important role during the Huge Materia quest, Aerith is like the most important character in disc 1. Even the optional characters like Yuffie and Vincent have multiple sidequests detailing their history.

Meanwhile there's fucking nothing to Quina, Amarant and Freya's roles in the game are virtually two cutscenes without any other acknowledgement and Steiner stops doing anything after the raid on Alexandria. Even with the ATE's they're barely around after their introduction period, you never revisit their stories or get a sense of closure for them. They exist to fill a role in the party, whether its the blue mage or dragoon, and everything else besides that is an afterthought.

I'll give you that disc 1 and early disc 2 have some of the best character writing in the whole franchise, but they didn't commit to it at all.

The only characters who really fall into the background are Amarant (whose a pretty late edition anyways) and freya (who pretty much had her story summed up in disc 1). Every other character stays relevant and develops until the end.

name another final fantasy where that's the case.

FFV

or go and list the only one i havent played

Yuffie has the best back story for an optional character on the franchise, that I agree. Just because Tifa appears in clouds story doesn't make her less bland. Theres no personality on the characters, Barrets just a grumpy old man who simply stays a grumpy old man.
FF VII character development is staged, you dont see characters grow, you simply reach a part where they have something to do with that place and that's it, theres no character for the rest of the game.
FF IXs events do influence the way characters behave and the whole disc 1 and 2 are just focused on that.
What you're complaining about with Freya is what happens to every character in FF VII, reach a place that character has something to go with, reveal a bit of back story, forget it

If steneir and Beatrix scene on Alexandria invasion doesn't feel like closure to you I don't know what is.

My man.

I love me some FFIX but ain't no game have better worldbuilding than Riven.

Tbh you cannot beat Victorian plus steampunk style done right, it just feels too good, Treno and Lindblum are just beautiful to look at.

I agree

>FF9 fags are this deluded
Now this is just sad

You missed a lot in FF7 bruh.

>not taking different party members to different events to see what they say
>not giving up Barrett's ultimate weapon to give Vincent some closure in climbing the tower to fight Hojo at Sister Ray

What's the matter, can't reply like an adult?

>Hehe Xs fags are so deluded of Y

Pretty original comment there bro

>What you're complaining about with Freya is what happens to every character in FF VII
Freya is what it would be like if nothing happened with Rydia after you killed her mom and she joined the party.
She barely even qualifies as a character, she's a tragic backstory with nothing built on top of it.

>If steneir and Beatrix scene on Alexandria invasion doesn't feel like closure to you I don't know what is.
The closure point was aimed more at Freya, Amarant and Quina.

Steiner's actually a good character, but he's so absent during the time that development is happening it's hard to give a shit about him by te end despite. He disappears for huge stretches of time in the first half of the game.

>World setting
>characters that didnt feel labeled with job, they actually fit them in a coherent narrative
>story
>skill system

I'm doing a rerun of all FFs with my roommate, he plays while I give directions reading a guide (comfy as fuck btw if you have a buddy) and we try to get every single drop of detail out of every game, hell, we even made sure to see all the gold saucer dates with different save files, so don't tell me I missed shit, I've finished both 7 and 9 less than a month ago, and when I was younger I inclined more on favour of 7 (and still do in some parts, like combat) but the amazing amalgamation of arts that the combination of astonishing art, soundtrack, setting and characters of FF IX cant even be compared to any other FF.

Of course I'm not a blind 9 fanboy or anything. I love 7 and understand what it meant to the series, considering the jump it had to achieve from SNES to PlayStation the job is miraculous.

PS: couldn't bother to finish 8 since I had 300 flares, triples, quakes and twisters to junction and nothing really mattered anymore, side quests are shit too

>OST
You can't be serious. The game has almost no memorable tracks compared to other FFs.

I'd say FF4 does it better, but yeah it's good at that.

Got me there.

That doesn't really have much to do with what I said.

Ozma, the shitty card game, and trading sequence aren't fun.

...yeah I'm gonna stop responding. FF9 is great and all but it's hardly original or captivating. Making people understand this if they haven't played all the others is annoying. Just like those N64 babies that think 3D Marios need to be SM64, the least Mario-esque mainline game.
You guys are blinded by your 90s kid nostalgia. It's not even real nostalgia like those that grew up in the NES and even SNES era. You guys ar just plain wrong about everything.

>Beatrix poster
>Full of shit
Pottery.

I only partly agree with that guy, but my view is that I liked disc 1's mist-covered lush green areas and the overworld music. Disc 2 dumps you into a brown desert and the world felt less interesting from there.
Gameplay-wise, I agree. The 4 fiends might've been asspull, but I liked fighting them.
On the subject of combat, I hated the whole auto-trance thing as well as the load times (which are no better running off the PS3's HDD). If VII's replacing Attack with Limit was a minor inconvenience, then Trance activating only for an attack already cued to kill was outright annoying.
One lesson regarding IX that's completely lost on the XIII generation is that you can scale back the damage numbers and HP totals (by VIII it was getting a little ridiculous) and still have fun combat with unique moves. Granted, Tactics should've already taught us this lesson, but I've actually seen people call XIII a return to form, even though it's the only Final Fantasy I've played where you couldn't steal shit from enemies and you spent the entire game strapped for cash. But hey, Imma stop talking about XIII being shit because that could easily be it's own thread.

samefag, I completely forgot about I and II not having a steal command.

I don't hate FF9 or anything. It's an awesome homage to the classic FFs. But's it's just that. I refuse to believe anyone that has followed the series before the PS1 era would consider FF9 the best or anything close.

>FFIX
>Trying to steal from bosses
Kill me.

Tbh of the things I like the most about RPGs one is the feeling of growth of your characters.

When you see that 9999 for the first time in your play through and you get that kind of YES feeling. When you learn a new ability and want to see what impact it makes, the struggle of holding your party while you steal from the boss.

FF XIII ruined all that and made it an action game where simply you can't control your character in battle. Turns need to come back

I felt it was the last Final Fantasy to have the "fantasy" aspect right. FF8, then X onwards go towards the "uncanny valley", trying to go too human and failing.

6, 7, and 9 got the right blend of cartoony characters while still having depth, breathing life into the world and fleshing out the story and adventure.

Final Fantasy is about riding around on chocobos, not driving a delivery van that says "Chocobo Express" on the side

Is there a better couple than this?

>Of course I'm not a blind 9 fanboy or anything
Seeing how you blow every single aspect of FF9 massively out of proportion says otherwise

X is forgivable because like 7 it was a generation jump, couldve been immensely wrong and turned out being ok, with one of the best ability and stats system and my favourite turn based fighting, being able to see how your actions will reflect on turns was an amazing implementation.

They tried with the story, but the setting was just terribly ugly and most characters stay unlikeable for the whole game, like Wakka, who is Steiner done wrong, not because of the characters itself, but because the other characters took him seriously, which was the key of steiner character working, no one took him seriously until he stopped being a pussy about rules and muh loyalty.

What do you think about FF12 then?

12 has a fairly fantasy vibe, the main problem is that aside from Ashe and Balthier is that the protagonists are all bland and interchangeable.

FF8's story might be crap but its setting was top-notch at least. Some of the concepts are really great: witches being political leaders and blending with people, Adel's tomb being on space, Moon Cry, the gardens.

FF9 is the best FF though. It does so many things right. The only negatives I can agree with is the final boss coming from nowhere (even if it's a homage) and the slow battle system.
- It's got the best characterization of the series if only because the ATEs fleshed out the world. - It's got the best love story in the series.
- The best characters in Vivi and Steiner.
- The best summon setpieces (Alexander vs Bahamut being the standout).

The problem with ps2 FFs is they're fucking fugly, the art direction is retarded, and switching from awesome prerendered backgrounds to poor ps2 3D models was what actually killed FF.

Nobody thought that when they released. FFX was a graphical showcase, XII less so with Oblivion coming out the same year.

I think that Cid's theme and Vivi's theme are pretty memorable as well as the track when B and Steiner take on the mist shits.

Name one track from FF9 better than this
m.youtube.com/watch?v=t7wJ8pE2qKU

Wasn't 9s boss explained in things in the game that were not explained properly in the localization?

Particles and effects were improved of course. But backgrounds, detail and realism was heavily removed.

Not to mention art direction, which was catastrophic on FF X, from cities to NPC outfits to everything. Most backgrounds you see are rocks or simply open sky

All of them
There is no real comparison. FF7's soundtrack sucks while FF9's is one of the best soundtracks in videogames

youtu.be/ygsEB1DMAvo

I feel you. I like character progression. Building up a badass who crawls through waves of monsters in dungeons and gets strong enough to take out the toughest of bosses. It's part of the reason I never jumped on the Monster Hunter bandwagon - I do dig technical action games like DMC and fighting games where the growth is all on you and what you learn about your moves and your opponent's moves, but I also really like building up a team of characters. Managing their stats and skills, picking their weapons and armor, planning out their development vs dealing with an enemy right now - that kind of stuff. XIII was all now, now, now, grind, grind, grind, 999,999 damage cap at the expense of everything I cared about.

Now, I can think of a game that did what I said I liked but still kinda bored me after a few heavy binges, and that was Dragon Age Origins. OK, maybe you like the characters. The world isn't particularly unique. The graphics are really ugly. The game is buggy without an unofficial patch, and has crashed on Windows 10 more times in a day for me than VTMB crashed in an entire playthrough. The bulk of the game I went through was basically "recruit all the characters and get the Ashes of Andraste, then do a really long and tedious Fade sequence". I never thought I'd complain about an RPG being too long before, but I think it's just abysmal pacing.

>FF7s soundtrack sucks
m.youtube.com/watch?v=bWzoXaY108g

I sure love hearing them play those in the concerts where they play all the most popular FF songs.

Look the game has good music, but none of it is a stellar as in the other games. It's all kind of dull sounding really. It's a shame too because it looks like that's what they might have done originally.

Listen to this obviously better overworld theme probably used for airships. It even has a bit of Zidane's theme in the beginning.

youtube.com/watch?v=WQYL2Ny20nk

Too bad it was never used. That song alone makes me want to replay the game. But I know this song is just a better version of the Over the Hill theme. This isn't in the damn game.

Ever played Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne?
If you don't mind the occult fetish and difficulty, you might like this battle system a bit better. I like it a lot better, honestly.
If you try it, it's about $15 on Amazon, probably cheaper on PSN, and be sure to keep trying if Matador kicks your ass. Being lv25 helps. He's basically the highest difficulty spike in the game, and he's a fairly early boss.

Was that supposed to prove otherwise?
Compare that song to anything in FF9 and you'll see how underwhelming pretty much everything in FF7 is

Hating necron or not his theme was fucking amazing
youtu.be/bahMeycMihw

I agree. I mean, I'll defend VIII (Drawing sucks, but X-Mag RF renders it optional and even a beneficial tactical move in some situations) even if it's a flawed game, but that game had the series best music. FFT is a close second, but jesus did that generic battle theme annoy my parents as a kid. I can't blame 'em, though - battles could last 3 hours if you were a grinder, and that track was bound to play entirely too much.
Hell, when maximillian_dood was doing a twitch stream of WOTL, I just friggin' knew the first thing I was going to hear was the sound of him doing a pre-Dorter grind. We all did it - it's like the side-quests in Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Do you HAVE to do them? Well, they're technically optional, but you really should, at least on a first playthrough.

You've got the entire VII soundtrack and choose one of the most bland tracks?
Main Theme
Aerith's Theme
Fighting
Fight On
J-E-N-O-V-A

FF IX battle music literally triggers my mom, she even had nightmares about it when I was like 10 and played it for hours.

FFIX has the best OST of the series. Uematsu agrees, don't bother him about it.

The only song out of Final Fantasy VIII my mother liked was youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs . The first time I got into battle with Laguna my mother poked her head in my room and said, "Finally a song that doesn't suck."

How can you not agree, you're not alone itself carries more power than the whole VII soundtrack combined. VII had some dope tracks, not the shitty popular ones retards are posting tho.

slightly related,
which FF do you think has the best final dungeon?

Only PS1 FF game I actually finished without losing interest after the first disk. The protagonist wasn't an emo bitch, the character models weren't fugly, the battle system wasn't a materia/GF spamfest, and the the story wasn't a convoluted mess.

Final Fantasy 9 frames per second

They all kinda suck now that I think about it.

ff ix is love
ff ix is life
best ff
best game

>FFIX will never get a follow-up game like FFX, XII, and XIII
>we will never know what happens after the Iifa Tree's destruction

This is the game where I can safely say that it really REALLY doesn't need one.

I was basic, II I never got around to, III was pretty meh (DS version), IV was a bit long in the tooth, V was pretty awesome, VI forced you to play as (nearly) everyone and carefully balance your parties...

...VII was a rush, VIII was forgettable, IX was wrecked by surprise buttsex Necron, X was interesting but linear, never played XI, XII was...3 screens, XIII was a hallway, don't remember XIII-2's, XIII I have yet to get around to, and again never played XIV.

On this track record, I expect XV's final dungeon to suck donkey balls.

The thing I know for sure is that my kids won't be getting any allowance or getting out until they play ff IX first, can't think of a more rewarding and educating game for a child.

>Teaches excellent values, still free of modern political correctness and forced values of today. Not afraid to portray the differences between gender roles and how to become a proper man/woman

>Highly rewards exploration and planification, provides feeling of discovery, boosts critical and rational thinking, logic and of course, reading, let's not forget IX is way way richer in vocabulary and culture than other FFs, by a landslide actually.

Seriously how FF is not part of any educational project is beyond me.

>we even made sure to see all the gold saucer dates with different save files
now how would that work

kill yourself

I assume you know how the date mechanics work, we simply created a second game file when we reached a decisive part, then replay the game from that part getting the desired date. Yes it is a waste of time, but we only had ff vii and crash team racing and a lot of weed

Hmm ...
1 PSP was meh
2 PSP had cool enemy designs, but I was plowing through because I was kinda hating the game. Meh dungeon, but better than 1
I honestly did not like IV's final dungeon. Also, we had already had another space-tech dungeon in IV before the final one.
VII started meh, got better, had some meh moments, and then J-E-N-O-V-A starts playing and I'm like "Oh, hell yeah!". Still not so good though. I preferred VIII's Only a Plank Between One and Perdition in the prison break replacing battle themes as far as sequences made epic through music go.
I loved the aesthetic of Ultimecia's castle, but the music could understandably get old.
Wasn't a fan of IX's final dungeon, but some sections were cool looking.
Didn't really dig X's, but it was starting to do the future space tech dungeon thing kinda well toward the very end.
Didn't like XII's dungeon, but I think it was better than XIII's. And XIII-2's.

And unrelated, I wasn't a fan of SMT Nocturne's or Persona 4's final dungeons. I liked the final dungeons of both Digital Devil Sagas, though.

We've already seen XVs first dungeon and it's great. It's a multi floored mining cave, the Samurai boss is roaming around the dungeon and level 38 when you'd only be around level 7 at that time, he can also knock you down to the bottom floor and even 1 hit kill you. We've seen it demod twice now and both times they died.

Seeing as XV already has great dungeon design it bodes well for the rest of the dungeons.

One dungeon with great design doesn't mean the rest is of the same quality. It's promising but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

The samurai...transformed into a mining cart...?

What the fuck?

>Literal line as the path
>That minimap

I knew we were getting tricked again. I knew It was all a meme.

It also teaches tolerance towards those who look different, even more than XII does.

He jumped. If you see the video, he lands on you after the cart hits you.

Maybe instead of being retarded read what I just said, that line is just the the literal upper path they are walking on, which they get knocked down of when the Samurai hits him and sends him to the bottom floor.

youtu.be/Z_OF7xFFaG0?t=44m49s

>Beatrix commits rat genocide
>everyone forgives her because she was just following orders

Why do we keep having FF9 threads and mentions?
I like it

>best narrative
>NECRON OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE
know your place, bitch.

Oh so the map is made of a few lines, not only one?

Can we say goty already?

It is very comfy and European I guess is how I would explain it.

Personally I just finished my playthrough this evening and I wanted to share my thoughts

t. OP

>best narrative
>Goku was supposed to destroy the planet but he hit his head as a baby and Liquid Snake got pissy that he had the recessive genes

>Goku was supposed to destroy the planet but he hit his head as a baby and Liquid Snake got pissy that he had the recessive genes

I have no idea why I lol'd.

Paradoras box was a chilling atmosphere.

>waaah why is a mining dungeon designed like a real mining cave!?

I haven't finished my first play through yet because of school. I really want to play it.

was the last decent FF game

Nigger are you literally fucking retarded? Do you even know anything about dungeon design? Let alone an open world?

youtu.be/WpFD6Hcx-Fc?t=10m29s

10 was okay though. It certainly didn't feel like the same caliber as FF 7-9 though.

Dont think you've ever been to anything even remotely resembling a mine brother

>Final Fantasy narratives always fall apart at the end.
Holy shit I have never seen such a bad opinion.

Part of the whole appeal of the series is the grand-scale shit hitting the fan during the last chunk of each story. If you want mundane from start to finish play Dragon Quest.

Nigger they literally say in that fucking video that that mine was based on a real life mine in Japan that the dev team visited for actual research. Good job proving you know fuck all about mines.

>the lunar cry
>not the most retarded shit ever
try again

Can anyone explain to me why you couldn't beat the final boss?

I have!

The tour only went down a quarter mile, though the mining operations extended to about a mile and a half. Apparently it was too hot down there for visitors.

That mine looks like something out of Scooby Doo, though.

>If you want mundane from start to finish play Dragon Quest
If DQVII is any indication, shit hits the fan throughout the game. Game's story is fucked up yo

Not him but I was surprised how good FFV was I played though it just after after FFX was released.

Played it again 3 years back and damn that narrative is amazing.

Are those the scorpions from Final Fantasy VI? That's kinda neat

>devs flat out say they went to a real life mine and based that mine dungeon on that real life mine they went to.

They are the scorpion monsters from FF1 although they are named Reapertails in FFXV.

Isn't FFIX supposed to be a spinoff? It was never planned to in the mainline of the FF series

>No Burmecia Beatrix mithril sword

Casual.

damn this gif makes me nostalgia hard

Something about that art style man

>When you impress 100 out of 100 nobles just right

It's not the style I think it's the setting what makes it so great same goes for chrono trigger

>Dev's said it therefore its true

Enjoying no man's sky pal?

IX, X, XII and XV were originally spinoffs. Being a mainline title is a promotion of sorts for when the concept is too good.

The music in the game is really good. I can't stop listening to the whole soundtrack. I love the music of 7,8 and 9. They don't make 'em like this anymore.

I get boners over good level design and this all looks really mediocre desu senpai.

b-but muh fantasy based on reality!

Ruin the card game with it's take no prisoners, give no fucks, RNG attitude

I'm currently listening to the VIII OST. Fuck, this soundtrack is too good:
youtube.com/watch?v=l75zjpDpAWs
youtube.com/watch?v=CqtGBR80NWw
youtube.com/watch?v=RVkcmx2l3WA

The titles for the songs are good too. Don't be afraid and You're not alone. Perfect music to listen to while you draw.

Does FF12 has airship? I didn't played anything after 9

Only as fast travel. Same as X.

Chrono Cross's forest area was also pretty nice.

youtube.com/watch?v=CzAE8ZuOd3I

The setting, the art, the music, the characters... I really need to find time to replay this game

How do you get across large areas for the first time? You have to jog through there or use some kind of vehicle?

Come on, we all know 13 is the most complex game in the series. It's for the true patrician.

What's the best FF logo?

The entire world is just a series of connected maps. You can run across most of the starting areas.

Top three are X, 8, and 13

I'd argue FFX finishes strong. Its weak point is actually not giving enough exposition in the midgame so stuff like Dream Zanarkand and Yu Yevon is not fully understood by the player(unless you really read between the lines) by the denouement.

This is what happens when you combine Cred Forums and literal autism

Can anyone tell me why the original FF3 never came out outside of Japan? And why they decide to release 2 and 5 later?

neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=551612
inb4 >neogaf

2 was so bad, it killed all interest in the series in the west and it didn't revive again until people started hearing how 4 was hot shit.

>13
What did they mean by this?

youtube.com/watch?v=YcqxbY6dn5c

Fuck anyone who says IX's OST isn't good. Even from the very get-go we have tracks that I'll never forget.

really makes you think user

Best battle music coming through
youtube.com/watch?v=ltCbrDWGo68

I never noticed the materia above the meteor. That's pretty cool.

VII
>Can also be interpreted as the Planet moving through space, or Jenova
>Has great narrative significance throughout the story
>Also has great symbolic significance(divine punishment for man's arrogance, the looming threat of death)

XIII
>There is literally no other interpretation, the crystal pillar is the spitting image of the logo down to the clearly embellished/ornamental projections
>Pops up as a deus ex machina in the LITERAL LAST FIVE MINUTES OF THE GAME
>Is too visually muddled and nonsensical to clearly represent anything except possibly Fang and Vanille's """sacrifice""" which doesn't resonate because of, again, the deus ex machina and the fact that they're frankly annoying cunts who should've died hundreds of years ago anyway

Stick of Truth is a better JRPG than any FF.

Isn't the steal rate for fairy flute lower?

For some reason I don't remember either being hard to steal as a kid but nearly made me lose it on subsequent playthroughs.

So is Kingdom of Loathing, that's not saying much.

both weapons have a 0.39% chance to be stolen

That's an open world section in a desert, not sure what you are crying about. Every single FF overworld has less in it than XVs map has.

I never liked IX somehow. Not the story, the world, the characters and even the ost was really forgettable for me. It was suffering to finish way back when and theres no way I could try to endure it again. For me personally, that was when FF became dead to me and boy was I right once that fucking X and X-2 came out. Rock bottom and its been just going deeper down ever since.

I unironically enjoy X-2 for the fast paced turn based battle that is borrowed from Grandia 2. The story is weird as fuck though.

The only FF I cared to beat more than once when I was a kid was 7. I always got lost in 8 and I hated the card game in 9. So I kept going back to C-Loud and crew.

combat is great, story is complete ass and even though the true 100% ending was a nice touch which is later ruined by the novel because fuck you, the shit you have to go through to 100% that game is fucking bullshit of the highest order.
Chapter 4 is a fucking nightmare with all these shitty fucking cutscenes you have to sit through for fucking ages making sure to observe every npc in them to trigger their response if they have one and to not leave the cutscene too early incase it doesnt count.
jesus fuck never again

>which is later ruined by the novel because fuck you
It's as canon as X being the prequel to VII. It's pretty easy to ignore it happened.

what a fucking sausage fest

And yet there is more females in the main cast of XV than FF1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 have.

My favorite FF and I'm thinking about buying it on Steam because I haven't played it in years.

But I'm worried about the low-res backgrounds clashing with the upscaled models. Can anyone confirm if its like eye cancer, or that it doesn't really bother that much?

Are you stupid?

>Asks for things FF9 did better than the rest
>recieves request
>Immediately backs out afterward
What a pussy.

>No memorable tracks
>Best song is literally called "A song of her memory"
Compared to every FF that came before it FF9's orchestral work was fucking godly and made the battles, cutscenes, and movie sequences feel more alive than ever before, you have shit taste.

>Shitty card game
Literally the best minigame of any final fantasy ever even modern installations, you're fucking retarded.

Sad fact is, FF9 did EVERYTHING better than its predecessors because it set out to take the best parts of the old ones and improve them while also maintaining the top tier fantasy aesthetic typical of the series in its own unique and more importantly, THEMATIC, way, and succeeded immensely. That's primarily the reason its remembered so fondly.

As opposed to 8 which we all know sucks balls and didn't improve from 7 in any way

Worldbuilding possibly, not story though.

enjoy your bishie ass

FF9 is my favorite game from the series.
Cool characters,setting
Story
SP system is so fucking good
When I entered Terra I was very positvely shocked. That theme... youtube.com/watch?v=njigWDxaZgU
+ later in the same place youtube.com/watch?v=Tog9GjczJVE
You can say that I blow dick to this game really hard and yes I do. I enjoyed it shittons and passed it so many times... Remember to turn that bass for battle music anons !

Are you?

>FF1
Princess Sarah, Marilith, Matoya

>FF2
Maria, Leila, Hilda

>FF3
Refia, Aria, Princess Sara, Cloud of Darkness

>FF4
Rydia, Rosa, Porom, Anna, Queen Eblan

>FF5
Faris, Lenna, Krille, Bartz mom Stella.

>FF6
Terra, Celes, Relm, Darill, Maria

>FFXV
Luna, Gentiana, Aranea, Iris, Cidney, Crowe, Marilith.

I have no problem, especiaslly since Noctis ages into a man, meanwhile every other FF male protag is forever a bishie.

>get beard
>becomes a man
top kek

>rips off of dragon ball entirely
>good

I will say that Zidane is the 2nd sttongest FF protagonist of all time considering Zidane was proven to be greater than Kuja who was a planet busting saiyan. The first of Goddess Lightning from ff13 LR who fucking tanked a universe busting attack from God.

Please show me a more manlier looking FF protag. Oh wait you can't because every single one of them is a pretty boy bishie, including younger Noctis. But then Noctis ages and becomes an actual man.

>It feels more like a celebration of the series' history than something with its own identity.
Wasn't that the intention?
They were trying to do a "best of" deal with IX for all the games that came before before they moved on and went crazy on X with all the futuristic splashes that just got stronger and stronger until the games started looking more like a sci-fi series than a swords and sorcery one.

why the long face?

>tfw I agree but wish I didn't
That's not to say that I would be upset to see one though.
It just couldn't really focus on any of the previous playable characters, since they're all squared away by the end of the original.
If you got one of Vivi's children to join your party in that hypothetical sequel game and Square somehow satisfactorily explained this shit I'd be so incredibly happy.

Yeah that's exactly why it's not my favorite image I have of her even though the artist is clearly skilled.

>tfw autism made me HAVE to get the fairy flute

>trying to get flute
>I've lost track of how many turns I've spent trying to get it
>figured out the timing for levitate ages ago so the boss can't even hurt me
>remember I planned to actually avoid using Eiko on this playthrough because I wanted to try some new characters
>plus you can get a Fairy Flute from the Iifa Tree anyway which isn't even that much further into the game
Still regret how long I had already spent on it though, and it's especially retarded since when I first played it as a kid I manage to snag it within about five attempts.

I really hope there's some way to modify their outfits in the game.
One guy wearing all black is whatever but how the fuck are you going to have an entire main party using the exact same color scheme of only one color?

I want to marry Freya!

There is alt outfiits, the reason they wear black is because they are from Insomnia's royal circle where black is the official royal color. They are all members of the crownsguard.

>Beatrix commits rat genocide
That was Brahne.
Beatrix didn't summon Odin to go full Independence Day on Cleyra.
She just killed a few on the ground to make sure the stone was obtained and then bail before the tree house got removed from the map.
iirc she explains that she was being fed lies by Brahne the entire time and only caught on when she was shown evidence that the fat monster was lying about giving a shit about Garnet.

>Just like those N64 babies that think 3D Marios need to be SM64, the least Mario-esque mainline game.

That's exactly why it's the best though.

Post best butt.

>the reason they wear black is because they are from Insomnia's royal circle where black is the official royal color
Why make that the official royal color if you know the four people players are going to be looking at for the entire game are going to be stuck wearing only that?
They had free reign to choose any combination of colors that could've been mixed up in varying quantities across their collective outfits but decided to just make everything black for some reason.

is there a way to get in contact with SE to ask them why the fuck this game hasn't been ported over to the PS4?
it's fucking ridiculous.

Is that screenshot from the steam version or is it emulated? If emulated, could you share your settings? Those character models look fantastic.

There is not a signle good thing about FFIX, even by FF standards.

Because black is the royal color because their kingdom worships a death goddess, and it's to contrast with the enemy nation who wears white. The clothes they are wearing are their personalized battle uniform from their crownsguard, they mentioned they had them tailored made for each member to reflect themselves.

objectively: no