Itt; gamebreaking glitches

I mean LITERALLY, if you do this glitch, it will fuck over your game permanently.

I'm pretty interested in these since the idea of a glitch being so bad that it renders your game unplayable is obviously a pretty intense repercussion of something that you can do in-game.

Here's an example
youtube.com/watch?v=BeOuvYknno0

On physical SNES copies it renders the game unplayable.

Does anyone know any more of these? I'd love to just see them in action.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HiBZTMsRD3c
youtube.com/watch?v=SyrgBa-Brd8
youtube.com/watch?v=9EwW_vE7Id0
youtube.com/watch?v=p0uCqiTWa6Y
youtube.com/watch?v=D3iVFfKjklk
youtube.com/watch?v=XkB53h2M5Pw
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not game breaking, but I recorded this a few weeks ago.

Oops.

youtube.com/watch?v=HiBZTMsRD3c

You know that old trick to duplicate pokemon in gold and silver? It involved pulling out the cartridge in the middle of saving or something? I did it once and it worked. Tried it again and fucked up the cartridge. Can't load my game because save data is corrupted. New game works, but you can never save because the game won't let you. Just says "Save data is corrupted" and refuses to save.

Ain't really a glitch though...

weird. any idea what caused it?

>recorded via cell phone
>vertical
kys

The Castle Crush glitch can render the game unplayable due to writing random shit to its SRAM, you can fix it by removing the battery and replacing it (or you could play without saving).

for you? Explain?

I think metroid prime echoes had one part in the darkworld where if you fell off you couldn't beat the game anymore.

Beyond good and evil had a glitch where if you bolted away with your vehicle before you let the pig guy enter it and it loaded a different environment he would just dissappear from the game making it impossible to advance.

I don't know how the glitch works exactly but its physically impossible for the two read only memory chips on the cartridge to get altered by the console. I also had this happen to me when messing around with the glitch myself, it didn't start until I replaced the battery. I never bothered to try starting it without a battery at all but I assume it would still work.

youtube.com/watch?v=SyrgBa-Brd8
implications of this glitch aren't fully understood, but with proper manipulation you can erase your save data, among other things. one of speedrunning/glitch hunting's big scientists figured out in performing this trick you're reaching parts of memory never supposed to be reached by any game ever under normal circumstances, so i'm pretty sure you can fuck up your game big time somehow

Couldn't the MissingNo glitch do this sort of thing in Pokemon Red/Blue?

In Golden Sun Lost Age I had a gamebreaking glitch just before the statue dungeon in the shaman village. They wouldn't let me leave during the festival and a stair that you had to climb didn't work, the character would do the climbing animation but would only move half of the stair and get stuck. I had to download a savefile past that part and use a save editor to add my progress from Golden Sun 1.

Relm's sketch glitch in FF6 comes to mind.

youtube.com/watch?v=9EwW_vE7Id0

can't say for sure whether this will fuck with SRAM to the point of making the game unbootable but it wouldn't surprise me considering the other side effects.

I know of several games that have glitches that let you run arbitrary code, but I'm not sure if they can permanently fuck up your game.

if you can run arbitrary code you can definitely fuck up your game. depends on memory size you can work with but you can definitely do it

i think it was the SNES for super mario world 2 where if you to go rainbow road too early or something with the forest area, it corrupts your save files and save files wont ever save again

How does this sort of thing even work? ROM is ROM, you can't write to it. Does this just involve corrupting SRAM so badly that the game takes a shit whenever the system tries to access it?

There's that one Paper Mario glitch that softlocks your game permanently.

That's exactly it. It usually just wipes itself though, much less interesting.

Exactly that.
Taking out the save battery fixes it back up

involves doing something to exit some array or buffer in the game software into an area of memory that should not or cannot be accessed, and then trying to load that is what can fuck the game up.

There is some TAS making SMW run some kind of arbitrary code or just force the ending.

>ROM is ROM, you can't write to it.

Henry is that you?

>or just force the ending.
You don't even need tools for that.
youtube.com/watch?v=p0uCqiTWa6Y

Oh yeah, I swear back when Phantasy Star Online was popular on Dreamcast, I thought I remember hearing about some hack that let you kill people's Dreamcasts. That may have just been a myth, but I do know that one of my Dreamcasts suddenly stopped working one day while I was playing PSO online.

Searching around, I can't find much information about it now. I may have just been a myth and a coincidence on my part.

Pokemon RGBY/GSC glitches are always fun. You can waste an afternoon away reading up on them. Too bad gamefreak became slightly less incompetent and the new games don't flip out like they could back then.

Gen 1 and Gen 2 was full of shit, Gen 1 is even worse because shit don't have any protection.

Is pretty easy to run some arbitrary code.

>the last thing you see before the screen goes black and your catridge fucks up is © 1995 nintendo

Poetry.

youtube.com/watch?v=D3iVFfKjklk
It also has the splendid effect of nuking your save

Considering that Nintendo really take time to polish and make sure that their games are close to bug free, this makes all the sense.

is this bait

Aside pokemon, and that because GF is incompetent as fuck. You are rarely going see a nintendo game full of bug or gamebreaking shit.

Isn't bait, but take a better look at their games. Unless you are really trying to find some glitch you never going bump into one during the normal gameplay.

i recall causing a glitch in super smash bros 64, for some reason a bob omb exploded, but kept exploding continuously and never went away. any character that touched the explosion was automatically set to 999% damage and flew off the map, was never able to reproduce it

i think you're a bit naive to believe this, but for the most part i think you are correct. i've been looking for glitches in games for years so i suppose i might stumble upon or recognize things that lead to them more readily

>complaining about vertical videos
>reddit
kys

i don't recall anything breaking dreamcasts, but there was a hack that let you brick other people's VMUs which was very real. happened to one of mine and to many many other people

He's not totally wrong.

Nintendo games often have glitches, some of them game breaking, but the method to access them often involves some obscure combination of events that you'd never guess unless you looked for them.

In general Nintendo does a good job removing obvious, easy-to-trigger bugs. The worst in recent memory was the Skyward Sword glitch which made it impossible to progress if you did events out of order. (A similar thing happened in M&L Dream Team but they were able to patch it out.)

TP had that cannon room glitch that fucked your file.
youtube.com/watch?v=XkB53h2M5Pw

Oh yeah, I've got some bias because, while there are a lot of glitches in Nintendo games, they also have a huge number of players so it's inevitable for such things to be found

Melee had something like that called the Black Hole glitch

that's because they would have had a massive fucking problem on their hands with their ten year tech delays
once they get comfortable with patching say goodbye to "polished" games, they'll be just as lazy as everyone else

and if you want examples of massive fucking problems, the berry glitch from R/S comes to mind

Isn't there a button combo you can press to delete save games?
I think it was something like up+select+b in the title menu.

Even their most recent games are pretty much polished. They really make sure that the game works on their hardware.

Also they avoid bad publicity or wasting time patching, the game quality and fanbase bitching are another story.

i vaguely remember doing the same thing, i think you needed to stack a shit ton of them and then hit them with marios up b

Wow, come to think of it, I haven't heard of any major 3DS titles like Pokemon X/Y in which saving anywhere in the large city corrupts your save.
Should I look forward to their next release? Tune in to the direct?

god i loved the fuck out of the oracle games
played every save file in both seasons and ages and kept transfering.
Slot 1 in each was first save
Slot 2 was transfer from each
Slot 3 was transfer back from each
100% as much as possible and loved them

I used to bring Ages with me on trips and just play the ball hitting minigame for an hour or two

Pokemon is GameFreak shit, but really you rarely going see a glitch or gamebreaking shit on their games being too easy to trigger.

>I haven't heard of any major 3DS titles like Pokemon X/Y in which saving anywhere in the large city corrupts your save.
Are you serious right now
Because there was a huge collective freakout upon the release of X/Y when it was found that if you saved anywhere in the main streets of Lumiose, your game would freeze upon starting

>i-it's Gamefreak, Nintendo has nothing to do with it!
>Pokemon is amazing. I love Nintendo franchises so much.
lel nice doublethink

holy shit I remember seeing this video so fucking long ago

You forgot mention acid raid, sky drop,tweaking and the shitton of GTS glitches. I'm not denying that the game still have glitches.

Take off your tinfoil.

you talkin like a glitch so bad that it somehow corrupts the cart to the point where you can't reset?

>Take off your tinfoil.
What outrageous claims have I made?

>complain about heat
>ONLY REDDITORS COMPLAIN ABOUT HEAT

>complain about cold
>ONLY REDDITORS COMPLAIN ABOUT COLD

>get hungry and complain you have no food
>ONLY REDDITORS COMPLAIN ABOUT THAT

Yes but nothing a hard reset couldn't fix, a few missingno's/glitch trainers/glitch moves have game-save corruption effects though.

hello ribbit!
vertical videos are fucking shit though desu

Are you implying I'm a cancerfrog poster? Fuck you, user.

no, that'd be me

Facebook frog should have died five years ago. Shillary is a retard.

that's white supremacist frog to you

>thought you would outlive frogposters
>frogposters get more fuel to post frogs

just end it now

What happened in Dream Team? Skyward Sword I was unaware of as well.

Frogposting is eternal!

That made me laugh at least.

Oh no it sounds like jazz.