There has never and never will be a good lord of the rings game

>there has never and never will be a good lord of the rings game

You haven't played LoTR 2 and 3 for PS2

Shadow of Mordor was pretty fun if you don't mind a shallow orc killing simulator

I never cared for lord of the rings, because I don't like hobbits

Return of the King on PS2 was the shit.
Especially the eastern gate level.

bfme was good
the playstation ones were good

LOTRO isn't bad.
A Gothic/The Witcher type game structure would have been perfect for LotR

Lord of the rings online was pretty sick user, with only a few areas that made no fucking sense, like those void guys in Moria, or those pseudo-giants in the Rift

God damn. Super comfy picture. Why has there never been an open world rpg/exploration game set in middle earth?

BFME 2 was the one I played and that game was loads of fun. The legendary tier attacks you could use like meteors and summoning balrog were so satisfying.

The Hobbits are like 1/5 of the narrative. Middle-Earth is yooge and the story is very engaging.

I actually likes the 3rd Age

still waiting for battle of middle earth 3 one of the best rts i've ever played

the world of lotr isn't actually detailed in the same way modern fantasy settings are, you'd have to invent 90% of the things you explore and it wouldnt really feel like LotR at all

the LotR craze is over and EA killed their RTS studio
that said not sure what you would put in it seeing BFME2 had like 20 factions

Battle for Middle Earth RTS games were alright.

i never got the preference of BFME2 over 1

one was way fucking better. More open and much more freedom.

>there has never and never will be a good lord of the rings movie

The best game in the Total War series is by far Medieval II.
The most popular mod both for single player and multiplayer (those are like two entirely different games) is about Lord of the rings.

I preferred 1 over 2 aswell
2 added more standard rts features like building bases anywhere and wall building but that ended up making it feel just like every other rts game
and custom heroes were overpowered as fuck although bfme1 had severe balance issues

This thread kinda proves the OP. All the games listed are pretty mediocre. The best are the BFME games, but even then they dont really capture what LOTR is really about. Which is journey and adventure. Which fits more into the kinds of games these anons described:

>no good lord of the rings movies

U wot? Please dont tell me you are one of those hipsters who likes to hate on the the original movies. The Fellowship of the Ring was fucking amazing.

no video game could really capture what LOTR was all about

actually, i thought that the two towers on PS2 was leetbix

>hasn't played the SNES LOTR game

Have you read the books? Tolkien goes into some detail. Almosy autistically so.

>yfw an RPG would be so easy to make but no one can do it

They've made plenty of RPG's but they've all just been fucking boring

also the movie games were great

>Sean Astin
>Amazing
Pick one

Thats his point. No one can do it properly. And I dont fucking know why.

yes but most of it is backstory, like history that happened thousands of years before the books took place. there's no 'lore' like there is for world of warcraft. there's no great detailing of cities, nations, politics, even maps. There's at most ten cities or towns outlined in lord of the rings and the only nations really detailed are rohan and gondor. The most tolken wrote on places like rhun or harad was a single paragraph. Tolkien was interested in things like languages which don't help you make a big video game

Not liking the third age.

>mfw

Here is another one

>there will never be another good star trek game

>I have never read LOTR: The Post.
Just them packing their fucking bags is like 3 pages of shit

thats exactly my point. that's not useful stuff to make a video game from. if you want to make a video game about hiking and singing songs, well LOTR is a wealth of material. fighting and quests not so much

>They've made plenty of RPG's but they've all just been fucking boring

thanks for reiterating my point, some cunt just needs to come along. Make some dark LOTR fantasy game. (Just look at KOTOR as an example of how to use extended universe in an RPG)

Idk. I would think you can sort of derive stuff from all of that lore. Like there is enough there to guide you and keep you grounded in the universe while still allowing for some creative freedom.

the lord of the rings lore is anything but grounded which is why it's so shit for video games. they go into absolutely no detail about the lives of every day people (apart from the LOTR book itself in hobbiton) and it's all about the exploits of a few demi-god elves. All the shit you would normally do in a video game is barely covered at all. Games like lord of the rings online have to take huge creative liberties and basically invent all their towns and quests and let everyone be a wizard at which point I'd argue it doesn't even feel like LOTR anymore

Tolkien outlined several details for maps for numerous places in Middle-Earth. Just look at the region where the old Northern Kingdoms used to be; Rhudaur, Arthedain and Cardolan, which used to be part of Arnor. They gradually become more complex and split up. Each had their own cities that have been overtaken, lots of story there. Then you have a trading hub like Bree and all the little towns dotting around it. LOTRO did a fantastic job making use of all that material for their game, it's just too bad that the gameplay was subpar. You can go on and on making up your own stories set in Middle-Earth with all the material Tolkien left behind.

Shadow of Mordor

Dude you're intuitively sweeping across a lot of lore you clearly haven't actually read and dismissing it, just shut up.

This. I dont understand why more games didnt take advantage of this.

The story is boring & hobbits are stupid.

yeah i haven't read all of the silmarillion, I just don't think tolkien-style lore is concrete enough to make a good video game. Video games are very visual and simple and most of that comes from that team behind the movies (not trying to discredit the books by saying that). Look at a game like Shadow of Mordor. They completely miss the tone of LOTR and that's not entirely cause the dev team is dumb there just isn't much lore that would make a good video game adaption

>most of the visuals come from the movies
To be honest that is what most people think of when they think of lord of the rings now, but there is a phenomenal amount of art that has been done for the Middle Earth world predating the movies, and from which the movies draw heavily upon. Lord of the Rings does have a massive amount of lore and speculated lore as well. Huge amounts of roleplaying material have been made from LotR (just look at MERP). As for the claim that its the kind of lore that doesn't make good video games I suspect you think that because you have a very limited imagination or a very narrow scope of what can be considered Tolkien. The impetus to create an interesting video game is actually almost completely the dev's responsibility.