So how was the progress on your game today - you DID make progress, right?

So how was the progress on your game today - you DID make progress, right?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=X4l9uBChuhM
itch.io/jam/gbjam-5
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root)
youtube.com/watch?v=szCQwPvWHwQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Is it weird that I don't even play video games but come to Cred Forums just for this thread?

Congrats, you are me.

I come to see some silly code. Always a great laugh.

>he doesn't use the best text adventure tool

I'm making a game called Black Lives Don't Matter, it's set in a dystopian future post-apocalyptic city called Chiraq

You play as a black guy who shoots other black people

Yep, Deleted it and cried...

I want to make a game where you accumulate permanent damage. What should the setting be like? Preferably not regular Fantasy.

To make a VR game, you must first invent the universe.

I have so much little shit to build before I can even begin.

>0.0001% progress
Still counts
time to procrastinate for another month

made buttan

every time you perform an action, your boost meter fills up with hashtags coming in from tubes on the side. When it's full you can press it to boost your next ability (ie strafe more, punch harder, etc.)

holy shit, is this the trump wall game?

yeah

first you play this: youtube.com/watch?v=X4l9uBChuhM

then when shit hits the fan you'll get in the giant robot and start fighting gigantic minorities

Still practicing with the tutorials on YouTube. Once I'm done with the platformer one, which I'm about halfway through, I think I'll be ready to start working on it.

Any UE4 tutorials online famalams?

Did this ever get greenlit?
You need to push it before the election and everyone forgets it, especially if he loses.

Also can you describe the gameplay, I never really understood what you did

>those long as fuck string comparisons
It's only called in a single frame, right?
Even so there are better ways to do this, like enums

Nice racist game, dipshit.

Looks like whenever you lose so it's not as bad, but still a terrible use of strings.

>not even using constants
>not using enums
>not using literally anything besides string comparison
>not even separating the strings out
>billion if statements

I'd love to see people with shitty code like this post it so I could give pointers on how to make it not so shitty.

I'll give him credit though. The names of his variables aren't terrible.
A lot of people would have shit like "this.witcorp" or "this.goc" instead of fully writing things out

>It's a garbage programmers make themselves feel good by pointing out mistakes in an even more garbage programmers code thread

Hey, I'm just saying I'd be happy to help out. I would hope most people would be.

And abbreviating variable names is cancerous, just like not writing comments is cancerous.

I'm not him, but I don't see the problem. He probably knows a better portion of the puzzle whereas you do another part.

Seeing code posted here is often disappointing, because nobody really knows the language they're using or libaries. It's all a black box and since it just works nobody cares since their game will run fine on modern machines.

Is there any better way to write that? I literally only ever had 1 semester of c++.

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, IS THERE A UE4 channel that goes through the basics?

> Detroit.
> You invest in the housing market.
> 10/10 - IGN

Should I do something for GB jam? Any ideas?
itch.io/jam/gbjam-5
Or focus on Halloween game?

You could use == instead of = for conditionals.

>UE4
probably not. C++ is not a fun language, which is why everyone uses Unity.
Also UE4 is hard and bloated with features for advanced users

You're gonna have to scavenge

Yeah, maybe not assign every tweeter as a gamergater. That statement is almost always true unless gamergater is 0/nullptr. His formatting is also shit

If that's the intended outcome then alright, it's fine. It's confusing though and leads to bugs since you fucked up and meant a comparison.

>C++
>not fun
It's just C with classes.. well not entirely true with some changes of C++11 and beyond.

It's very easy to understand and I don't see why people think it's a complicated unfun language. I enjoy using C++, but using UE4 with C++ is a nightmare. Blueprints on the other hand is fun since how easy and lazy you can be with it.

I was referring to blueprints.

Indie shovelware shit support group thread. Everyone here should be gassed with Zyklon B.

No. I want to work on something, but I don't really know what. Don't have all the free time I used to, so I can't just sit around for hours to come up with something.

Maybe I'll go to the library some time this week with my laptop and figure it out.

this, the only good games are made by big AAA companies like the latest Battlefield one by Digital Illusions CE.

It's just programming visually. Nothing really to explain about blueprints. If you really need help then the Unreal doc site has a ton of starting points for blueprints unlike C++.

I literally just opened Unity to work on my code. does anyone have any way of sharing variables between 2 scripts without using the SendMessage function of unity?

thanks.

Concepting out a new area. Working on getting the areas finished first before filling them in with enemies. Choose your partner that joins you in this one with a desert theme

Left

yanderedev is an undeniably shitty programmer, but "bad' code rarely matters at that level anyway and every single fucking thread someone posts his code and every junior CS student jumps at the chance to show off their basic programming knowledge. It's cancerous.

if (Tweeter == Gamergater || Tweet == Negative)
cout

This one is my personal classic.

always gets me

2/?

3/?

4/4

I recently lost my job and have been itching to get back into starting a diablolike

Don't know what engine to go with, have no code-bias either

I really don't know what I want to do with my life so I figured I'd try and make something easy in gamemaker.
Right now I have a grid and if you click on a tile it destroys it, gives you some points, and then makes a new block that falls into the same column.
Just need to make them recognize when they're near each other and I'll have almost finished a game.

top geg

Good god, my head is hurting just thinking if they were inept enough to generate that list of numbers manually.

Please explain, I am not a code

where do i learn to program and make roguelikes?

i want to make an elona clone because ano dropped elona to work on a new game

There's a difference between being shitty and not having enough understanding of problem solving to limit what you're capable of.

If that's the code that's being written, then he'll work at a terribly slow pace and not be able to do more complex logic if needed

The one on the left is a well-known piece code for approximating inverse square root really fast (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_inverse_square_root)

The one on the right is function that's supposed to return the largest of the two numbers, but if the numbers are equal it returns 5 because "she's so random yay". The entire function could be simplified to

return a > b ? a : b;

Fake but still good

Is code academy a meme? Or is it an actually good introduction to coding? I have so much time on my hands I need to stop being a piece of shit

started basic C# today. did a series of tutorials but I started getting a bit burned out by the time I got to Lists and Arrays. Going to redo that module tomorrow and continue from there.

I'm not sure if it's an edit, but the code on the left is a miracle of engineering from Quake's engine.

The code on the right simply compares two different inputs (a and b) and then it tells which one is larger. But if a and b are the same value it will return 5. So if you compare a = 9 against b = 9, the result will be 5 for no reason. And still it manages to be longer than the code on the left.

The point of this picture is that everyone on the comments claims that the code on the right is better because every single line is commented.

ARE YOU HERE TO STEAL VIDEO GAME EYEDEAS AND FUNPOST?

it's just gameplay programming, do whatever you want

>Code on left
>Incredibly efficient, saved John Carmack's career, used advanced level coding, addresses a specific issue that needs to get solved

>Code on right
>Over commented. Most of the comments are over-explaining what their function is, such as "Tests if A > B" even though you can just look at it
>Also very inefficient.
Example: If a > b, then it returns a and exits there. However, it goes on to test if b > a AND if a < b at the same time. Which is shoddy as fuck, because you can't have a number that is both greater than a in one check but also less than a in another, so there's no point in testing for that.

Then it goes on to return 5 on any other condition, which is both shameful, out of the scope of the module's purpose in life, and just plain bad.

>All of these people who compliment here.
>"Is there anything you can't do?"

if that's high-level code with no dependencies he can get away with copy and pasting each clause. it could be all stored in a data structure but that may not be neccessary for the purpose. the only thing objectively wrong is the lack of a switch statement instead of else ifs.

I sort of did. Been years since I last touched GM, so just doing tutorials lately. But today I started on a Design Document. Spent a lot if time on it (not even done yet) and it got me excited again.

Too bad I'm so detail-oriented and such a perfectionist that anything I really care about takes forever to do. Add that to game design and I could be working on my project forever.

Luckily I at least have some experience making games and know getting it to simply work is the most important and that polish is a whole other part of the dev cycle.

Anybody want to play Battletoads mixed with Street Fighter in a comic-book art style?

WHAT DO YOU MEAN BY THIS

what does it mean when the constant is 1.5f?

what does the F do actually?

floating point

It means the value is a float

please respond

so its not a literal 1.5 value then?

man
computers are weird

It's pretty good for getting started

Dude, just pick a simple game like tic-tac-toe and try to make it, try to add a gimmick. Not because I think everything needs a gimmick, just to their a curve-ball into the game so you not only get to make a simple game, but also get to see how little things make big differences in development and gameplay.

just read a fucking book about coding, a good one, with an animal in the cover.

it's a literal floating point value
I mean the fact that it has a decimal in it should make the F unecessary but this is C we're talking about

How often do you codefags use your numpad? I don't even have one

>a good one, with an animal in the cover.

i want to ____ that fox

never

Representing all values is hard, but 1.5 is represented exactly in floating point and double based on the IEE754 standard. Whereas .01 isn't.

There are many ways to express the 1.5, floats are just one way.

You could store it as a string, in which case you'd write "1.5", or if you wanted more accuracy, you could use a double (= basically a float that uses twice as many bits and is twice as accurate) and write

double treehalfs = 1.5

I only use it when the number I'm typing is over 3 digits long.
But that rarely happens when you're coding compilers

Well what if you meant a double? Obviously with that snippet of code it doesn't make much sense since it's a constant float.

>I mean the fact that it has a decimal in it should make the F unecessary

No it doesn't. There are many ways to express a fractional number, and the F means that you want to use a 32-bit floating point number.

Where the fuck do you even begin with this shit

How does a completely inexperienced aspiring gamdev choose a game engine, coding style etc when he has no fucking idea what to do or where to begin

man how is the value of 1.5 not accurate enough?

its not like you're physically measuring volume of liquid on a beaker here
1.5 is 1.5
and it doesnt look like its going to be rounded up from 1.5000000000000000000001

Stop worrying about choosing the right engine/language/style and just start doing something. Nothing's stopping you from switching to another engine/language/style if it turns out your first choice wasn't a good one.

just pick something mang

hell go with game maker or unity youll probably get more support out of them because theres a lot of people using them

you need to follow your heart instead of your head

That constant happens to be something that can be accurately represented as a float, but if you for instance needed to multiply it by 1/3 you might want to use a double (or cast it to a double). Assuming you're doing something where accuracy is important ofc.

Literally just do it. Pick anything that fancies your pickle

You learn overtime what's garbage, how to do things, and so on. If you don't bother doing it then you'll never know.

Not my game specifically, but I'm making progress on my translation of a PC-98 game. I'm almost fully done with the main dialog and will be moving onto the extra text later this week, which is still a pretty decent sum.

I hope it comes out before Christmas.

i guess it matters on a technical level

but how does that matter on a noticeable level?

inaccuracy adds up over time the more you manipulate a value, 32 bit floats are enough for most game applications though

That depends entirely on what you're doing. If it's just a one-time calculation for determining the normal of some surface (which that function is mostly used for), it doesn't matter at all. If you're doing some complex physics simulation, trying to implement some precise timer or whatever, those tiny errors may accumulate over time and have a noticeable effect.

so if i a value keeps getting manipulated why is it called a constant?

does that mean its constantly getting manipulated?

It doesn't really matter that much in games. Even if it does for the most part nobody cares. Ex, see whenever models glitch through the floor or randomly flies. Where does it matter is when a model's vert goes crazy and you see a random tri taking up half your screen ie I forgot the game is called but totally accurate battle simulator? I think that was it

Har. No, the const is there to protect the variable from getting manipulated, and unfortunately, for that kind of math, you do need to keep it protected.

No, the value of a constant can't be changed. I think he's talking about floats in general.

Also, even if the constant itself isn't manipulated, you may need to do something like multiply some other value by that constant. If you needed extra accuracy, you might want to make the constant a double instead of casting it to a double every time you're doing calculations with it.

I'm making a King Of the Monsters homage with denjin makai/battle circuit style controls.

Since I'm a complete novice with gamemaker, so this is going to take a while, but I've already got designs for the monsters and I'm working on fleshing out BGs. I was thinking that power ups could be attained by destroying specific buildings, like destroying hospitals and restaurants gives you health while destroying power plants can hurt you, but can be thrown and hurt your enemy.

Along the lines of what the others are saying, do learn what various tools and languages are generally used for but DO NOT think that you must make the ~correct~ choice and that learning one instead of the other is a waste of time. Learning how to use one tool or language will quickly foster skills that make everything else's learning curve magnitudes smaller.

Or at least, that's what I should be doing... Watching all of my issues with UE4 get fixed one by one are making me run out of excuses for not really devoting time to make something cool.

alright thanks lads

I'm off to make a diablo clone in UE4

Any good SRPG tutorials for GameMaker?

Probably not, and I don't think it's a good idea to look for that kind of complete tutorials. You should break the game idea down into much smaller pieces and try to find tutorials for those, i.e.

>how to implement leveling
>how to implement quests
>how to implement an inventory system
etc

Do you want to make a 2D or 3D game?

Alright, fair enough.

I think it has to do with the way digits are saved as binary values maybe?
Some fractions just aren't feasible to be represented in binary and not even in hexadecimal, like 0.31767 might take a LOT of work to transcribe into binary and hex and the computer just stops transcribing at some point because the corresponding binary number/hexadecimal number is just way too long.

Don't know shit about computers though

Isometric ARPG but not 2d

use and learn Unity or Unreal Engine, done
get on gamedevving

Reading those comments gave me cancer.

bump

Is it bad to comment your code?

3d

I'm making an rpg

How many party members do people tend to expect? What do people think of party members that are temporary or switch in and out?

Of course not, but that's not how you should comment. Comments should generally tell why you're doing something, not what you're doing. Pretty much all those comments in the pic are redundant, they just repeat what the code already says.

>Comparing against LITERAL STRING DATA

Didn't this guy get chewed the fuck out by a Skullgirls dev to improve his programming skills? Has he learned fucking nothing after all these years?

>no dependencies
>the only thing objectively wrong is the lack of a switch statement instead of else ifs.

Yeah and what happens when he needs to reword something or correct grammatical errors in all instances in which that text is used? Yeah have fun with that shit.

>why you're doing something, not what you're doing

As in

//clamp the position of the player above the bottom of the level
playerPos.Y = Max(playerPos.Y, 0);

vs

//max returns the larger number :3
//so if playerPos.Y is smaller than 0 we set playerPos.Y to 0 ^_^
playerPos.Y = Max(playerPos.Y, 0);

There's rarely a reason to explain what a specific statement does unless you're example code for some beginner tutorial or something. The comments should explain WHY you're doing what you're doing.

>unless you're example code

* unless you're writing

>Shalom ayash

Big keks

That top comment is trash too it should be something like

// Prevent user avatar from overloading memory by dipping beneath data outside of the bounds representing screen space resolution.

What's a good engine that will help me learn C++ or perhaps even C? Would you suggest a 2D or 3D game?

I want to try coding a game to improve my programming skills. I'm interested in C because I'm an EE and it's used in embedded systems.

That depends.

Unreal works off of C++ so if you want to do C++ go for that.

The next question is whether or not you want to make your own assets.

3d assets are a lot harder to do by yourself.

Here's what you need to do for 2d assets

1. Draw them out
2. Animate the sprites in the desired sequences by just putting one after the other

For 3d, you need to

1. Make the model
2. Map the UVs of the model
3. Texture the model
4. Rig the model
5. Create the animation frames
6.Put each animation frame after the other

That's without going into matters with collision.

Suffice it to say unless you plan on using stock assets 2d will be a lot easier by yourself. If you have a full crew of people then 3d becomes more viable.

Does it have to be an engine? You could try doing a simple 2D game (pong, asteroids, tetris...?) with C++/C and SFML. That sort of lower level library might be a better choice if improving your programming skills is the main goal.

Oh and something I forgot entirely about was lighting, so if you're working in 3d you also have to do lighting, as well as material maps such as metal maps and specular maps that interact with lighting.

It doesn't have to be an engine, but I think I could do more if it was. I've always wanted to make my own game, so learning programming is really only half the reason I want to do it. Although, trying something simple would be a better idea for learning how to program, so I'll keep it in mind.

Doesn't unreal use its own visual scripting language though? I didn't know you could use C++ with it.

Also, what is your opinion on low-poly models? It seems like animating is the most difficult part of 3D, but you could probably get away with poor animations if you had some low-poly art style. It would probably still be more difficult than pixel art, but I'm turned off by pixel art, because indie developers overuse it and it's usually not very good looking unless done well.

Thanks for the info by the way.

you're such a fucking faggot holy shit

>Doesn't unreal use its own visual scripting language though? I didn't know you could use C++ with it.

All Blueprints are are bits of C++ code. I'm not a coder so I don't know the specifics, but I'm pretty sure you can make your own bits or decompile blueprints or whatever.

>Also, what is your opinion on low-poly models? It seems like animating is the most difficult part of 3D, but you could probably get away with poor animations if you had some low-poly art style. It would probably still be more difficult than pixel art, but I'm turned off by pixel art, because indie developers overuse it and it's usually not very good looking unless done well.

Okay here's something I can actually talk about.

As far as art goes, style trumps processing power every time. Low poly models can look better than the most advanced games on the market just by virtue of having a better art style.

The same goes for pixel art. Whenever you see an indie game that tries to cash off of the retro fans and the art just looks like AIDS, you can blame that on the art style they chose. After all, the best old games didn't look like a fucking japanese porn film like some fucksticks like to put on, they looked great and hold up on their own merits even today.

Of course the style stereotypical indie devs like is some bizarre copy of between an NES and an SNES or some shit instead of going for playstation and n64 high res sprites like in Ogre Battle. I mean shit Ogre Battle 64's sprites were actually 3d models recaptured as sprites but they looked better than they could have done with the machine's actual 3d rendering.

TLDR: It's all about the style.

Didn't made any progress because i was traveling.
Not sure what i'm gonna work on next...

at least i got my websites up,
though there's no progresses posted there yet

alright, lets do a roll then
0-3 main mechanics 1
4-6 main mechanics 2
7-9 polish current features
0 rest day

I'm working on my game at the moment!

Currently working on re-texturing the player's ship.
And then to add more models/details to level 1.

youtube.com/watch?v=szCQwPvWHwQ